gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:56:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Velvet Underground early surf influences.  (Read 10264 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »

I know for a fact that John Cale is a huge Brian Wilson/Beach Boys advocate. He even did a song called "Mr Wilson" in tribute to them. Its a good song.

Liking Brian Wilson doesn't matter when it comes to the quality of one's work.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

There are plenty of stunning John Cale albums too. Reed's work varies a lot, the quality seems often to depend on the people he is working with. In case of Metal Machine Music, I guess his musical partner was Mr. Temporary Insanity.
Cale's solos get better after Vintage Violence - which has some awesome songs but still seems like a practice version of the albums that followed later - Paris 1919, Slow Dazzle and especially Fear and Helen Of Troy spring to mind right away. Pop music being performed by a man capable of writing good tunes delivered with excellent arrangements, a slightly sinister voice and (at times) quite disturbing lyrics - what exactly is wrong with that?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:22:08 AM by Les Garçons de la plage » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:02 AM »

"Run Run Run" sounds pretty surfical to me.

Please delete my account
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »

So, uh, this isn't on-topic but I'm gonna post it here anyway, sucka: Has there been a CD release of the "closet mix" of the group's third album beyond the Peel Slowly & See box set, or just that and original vinyl pressings?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 05:35:14 AM »

Think it's just that. You really need that boxset, though.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »

Bump, reading was cool but you guys forgot one crucial element of it all: Lou Reed sang Beach Boys songs !!!! on this terrible cover album:
https://www.discogs.com/fr/The-Surfsiders-The-Surfsiders-Sing-The-Beach-Boys-Songbook/release/7849538

Lou Reed is on Little Deuce Coupe and Surfin', it was speculated and debated for decades since he is not actually credited for it, but it has been since confirmed by Lou himself in the book "The Velvet Underground: New York Art " (2009)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx