gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:16:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Version of "Help Me, R(h)onda"?  (Read 6765 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »

This is a great thread....I said on a thread a couple of years ago, I saw first hand how the many versions of Rhonda in concert caused issues the evening of the Cleveland stop of C50  mid June 2012.   As a birthday gift, my wife bought us Meet and Greet for the show.  During the sound check, at the end,  they specifically did Rhonda, which I thought was weird.  At the end of the song Al and Scott T. got into a bit of a rift over what Al did the previous evening in Cincy and Scott wanted to get it straighten it out for that evenings show.

It hurt watching Scott say "Al, this is how we do it now".  Scott walks off, Al puts down his guitar, slowly turns towards the 3 rows of fans, puts his arms out at length, shakes his head and slowly walks off. I can see where Al could have been in a groove/habit of doing old rifts where MB now maybe plays a different "version" where Al just wasn't up on...who knows.  I'm not up on the exact musical differences between all the versions but I can see in the C50 make-up of the band, old habits were probably very hard to break for some of the guys, including Brian and his bandmates.  Remember, Scott T. was the musical director for the tour and Mike in charge of the set-list.

He was co-director with Mertens apparently, but it does appear during soundchecks a lot of that stuff ran through him. I totally get it, if you're the director (or co-director), you have to do your job even if it means telling the artist they're doing something wrong. (I'm curious if Totten has or would ever take that same tone with Mike). But at the same time, this isn't a normal "artist hiring a musical director" situation. Totten had to know he's been intertwined into Mike's touring band, which remained a cause/player in a lot of BS Al had to go through legally and politically in the BB organization. If Al wants to do it a different way, why not stop and change the arrangement to do it his way?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Al over the years could be wishy washy and strangely still unsure of things he's been doing for a half century.

Stories like this also reinforce a few more things about Al and C50: Al was comically marginalized (the band seemed to be largely preoccupied with reconciling the arrangement differences between Brian's band and Mike's band; not so much how Al had been doing songs at his random fairs over the years), and Mike wasn't the *only* person who may have had legit beefs with how C50 went. But you don't see Al giving interviews complaining about how he was marginalized on C50 or was told to sit down and shut up, etc. He continually praised C50.

Imagine Paul Mertens telling Mike that he has to change how he does "Kokomo." It would have received a full-page recounting in Mike's book.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:05:20 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »

'Help You, Rhonda' off Lei'd in Hawaii.

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

Any "Rhonda" with Al lead. I agree with HJ's post that Brian was right to give the lead to Al than Mike. Dennis' live version is curio, that's about it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »

The psychedelic, minimalist Help You, Rhonda from the Lei'd in Hawaii sessions (heard on Made in California) is indeed a pretty rad version.

I wonder what prompted the lyrical change on that version: sheer boredom to mix things up?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:18:11 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 07:41:13 AM »

"Help You Rhonda" is interesting contextually, but musically I think they wasted space for it on the "Made in California" set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »

To answer two questions, 1st I love Help Me, Rhonda, I have heard so many versions of it. The sessions for it are staggering both the Today! version and the Summer Days version. 2nd, My favorite version I have to say is a tie between the Endless Harmony version and the 2nd Attempt during the Mix down, where Brian is doubling Mike's Bass Bow, Bow, Bow part while singing the high Falsetto on the "Help Me Rhonda Yeah". Carl is also doubling his Guitar part with a more fiddly part and someone is playing Castanets. Al is at the session too doubling his lead but, only on the intro. Yes it does exist on a bootleg floating around. It is awesome, so it may reveal something not many know, Brian is doubling Mike on the released version, via feeding his and Al's extra vocals to the Mono Mix on top of the already in place vocals! Ground breaking stuff at the time, indeed.

https://youtu.be/L7_9soY_-DY
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:36:30 AM by branaa09 » Logged
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:42 PM »

I have NEVER heard this      good stuff
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx