gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:11:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This day in Beach Boys history  (Read 18323 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 11:03:30 AM »

Did agd actually knowingly give out incorrect info on the bb's and his site though? I've heard he passed around untrue "gossip" about certain people, but did he intentionally give out and/or post on his website information that he knew was incorrect?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »

I don't think so, mainly because the info on his website generally was done by other (excellent) researchers; main issue from him was the litany of untrue gossip he spread whenever he had an axe to grind; generally things from his own "research" hasn't panned out (Drip Drop supposedly being recorded in Aug of 1974 being just one example). Probably explains why the site wasn't updated as much.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:14:12 AM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »

Well to be fair, I believe that there was some initial confusion over "Drip Drop" possibly being an early version of"Ding Dang", which would explain the recording date confusion. I know that doe said many inappropriate and offensive  things to many people over the years, but intentionally skewing the factual history of The Beach Boys is something I have a very hard time believing doe would do.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:52:43 AM by Jay » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »

He doesn't do that. Whatever your opinion is of him personally. He strives for accuracy on the site and we update it all the time. Indeed we added concert updates and corrections yesterday
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »

What about the skewing of BB and BB-related history off the website? Not to mention skewering people personally, and spreading lies? That's the issue.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »

What about the skewing of BB and BB-related history off the website? Not to mention skewering people personally, and spreading lies? That's the issue.

I might also add there is proof; this is not based on hearsay.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:24:59 PM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »

If striving for accuracy, getting the facts right, and the truth is the goal, those who truly pursue those concepts could perhaps consider finding a new web host. In this case, actions spoke much louder than the words hosted on a website.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 05:33:59 AM »

Look-if you want to know when the bbs recorded my Diane or where they were on April 13 1984 or when that tv appearance was taped then its the place to go but if you don't care or hate Andrew doe that much then don't
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »

I worked on Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, for eight years because my only goal was to get it right. At least as right as I could. During those eight years, nearly a day never went by when I did not consult Bellagio 10452. It is a monumental achievement and remains, through the painstaking care, dedication, and ongoing research of Beach Boys' historians, notably Andrew, Ian, Craig, and Alan, the premiere source of scholarly Beach Boys research on the web. Kudos to David and Lee for providing a home for this invaluable resource. I didn't care then, and I don't care now, that some people were offended by the site hosts. For the same reason I do not care about the human foibles of the individual band members and who may have or may not have, to borrow a phrase from one of the more inane myopic threads on this board, "damaged  the brand." It's about the music these guys created. I'm a glass half full kind of guy. And the glass of Beach Boys music is always overflowing.   

Adult Child
As Jon and Ian pointed out, if you continue the Day in the Life thread, please cross reference every entry with more reputable sources than Badham's beautifully-produced, but deeply flawed book. It has, of course, lots of good stuff, accurate stuff, but it is frustratingly flawed in its hundreds of errors and omissions.     
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »

One of the issues is and has been that it was absolutely *not* "all about the music" when personal grudges, vendettas, and various campaigns to scrub unwanted voices out of the conversation entirely entered the process of supposedly reporting the facts. Self-appointing someone or something as a steward or gatekeeper of the so-called "truth" takes on a responsibility which in too many of these cases was ignored. It was put on full display when publicly the claim was a strict adherence to the truth and the facts, while bogus and personally damaging information which was far from the truth or the facts was being passed around like celebrity tabloid gossip, yet presented more or less as fact because of who may have been reporting it or how it was reported. Beyond that, if those who are or were being promoted as the ones who are concerned with getting the facts right were the same ones passing around if not relishing in grudge-fueled innuendo or rumor without taking a moment to fact-check or weigh the validity of the statements or claims, there is a serious issue of credibility and the loss thereof.

If anyone staking a claim to the truth in any scenario has reported incorrect information if not outright lies both public and private, and has not corrected or redacted them nor shows any signs of doing so, how is there still credibility?

As I said originally, it's a shame if anyone concerned with getting the facts right gets lumped into anything or any behavior that suggests the opposite.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 08:57:13 AM »

The thing is, we're not talking about personal vendettas or what he said or alleged of whom. We're talking about the basic timeline and historical facts of the band's history. He may not have credibility as a human being, but I still think  he holds credibility in the field of a historian.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »

So it's OK for historians in any field beyond this one to pass around false information and rumor/gossip directly related to the topic which they claim to be experts on as the truth, engage in various personal vendettas and campaigns to destroy and discredit people they disagree with (or even people they associate with), and attempt to change if not control any given narrative or discussion by using such activities to do so? People get things wrong, even the best minds and historians in general make mistakes sometimes serious ones, but those who are truly respected and trusted in their fields will do what they can to correct them and redact/retract anything found to be less than truthful, up to and including a personal mea culpa and explanation where appropriate. Where has this happened in this case? It hasn't. If anything, the rhetoric has been doubled down and the campaigns haven't gone away.

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »

Adult Child
As Jon and Ian pointed out, if you continue the Day in the Life thread, please cross reference every entry with more reputable sources than Badham's beautifully-produced, but deeply flawed book. It has, of course, lots of good stuff, accurate stuff, but it is frustratingly flawed in its hundreds of errors and omissions.     

I will definitely do that.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »

JANUARY 3rd

1965: The Beach Boys play a show at The Mosque in Richmond, Virginia.

1967: A recording session at Columbia studio in Los Angeles, California for ‘Heroes & Villains’, which Capitol (and Brian) hopes is ready for release as a pre-album single soon.

1979: A recording session at Brittania studios, Los Angeles, where lead vocal work was done on the song 'Love Surrounds Me'.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:25:42 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »

So it's OK for historians in any field beyond this one to pass around false information and rumor/gossip directly related to the topic which they claim to be experts on as the truth, engage in various personal vendettas and campaigns to destroy and discredit people they disagree with (or even people they associate with), and attempt to change if not control any given narrative or discussion by using such activities to do so? People get things wrong, even the best minds and historians in general make mistakes sometimes serious ones, but those who are truly respected and trusted in their fields will do what they can to correct them and redact/retract anything found to be less than truthful, up to and including a personal mea culpa and explanation where appropriate. Where has this happened in this case? It hasn't. If anything, the rhetoric has been doubled down and the campaigns haven't gone away.

When this happens it calls into question who is responsible for what, and however unfairly it may be, it can cause guilt by association. I trust info from Ian and C-Man. They really know their stuff it seems. Unfortunately, Andrew is not the most trustworthy person and without knowing who actually is doing the research at a specific time, it can unfairly call things into  question.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »

When this happens it calls into question who is responsible for what, and however unfairly it may be, it can cause guilt by association. I trust info from Ian and C-Man. They really know their stuff it seems. Unfortunately, Andrew is not the most trustworthy person and without knowing who actually is doing the research at a specific time, it can unfairly call things into  question.
Andrew G Doe is somebody I deeply respected and looked up to. For me he was the Mark Lewison of The Beach Boys. I guess I just find it hard to imagine that he could turn out to be anything less.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »

I know...I was his alleged friend. Never knew he'd turn out to be a slime.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »

JANUARY 3rd

1965: The Beach Boys play a show at The Mosque in Richmond, Virginia.

1967: A recording session at Columbia studio in Los Angeles, California for ‘Heroes & Villains’, which Capitol (and Brian) hopes is ready for release as a pre-album single soon.

I went to college mere feet from the Mosque! (now called the Altria Theater)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »

Could add that there was a session for love  surrounds me at Brittania studios on January 3 1979 apparently to work on the lead vocal
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »

Could add that there was a session for love  surrounds me at Brittania studios on January 3 1979 apparently to work on the lead vocal

Thank you, I didn't look too hard this morning.

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »

I went to college mere feet from the Mosque! (now called the Altria Theater)

Were those feet regular sized or....

Just kiddin, that's pretty cool. I've never been to Virginia.

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 03:32:46 AM »

JANUARY 4th

1961: Mike Love marries Frances St. Martin in Los Angeles, California.

1979: A recording session at Studio 55, Los Angeles, California. They work on the disco version of 'Here Comes The Night'.

1980: A recording session at Rumbo studios, Los Angeles, California, where work is 'Goin On'.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:27:21 PM by Adult Child » Logged

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »

JANUARY 5th

1963: First recording session for the Beach Boys’ second album Surfin’ USA, which takes place at Western Recorders studio in Hollywood. Songs worked on include ‘Surfin USA’, ‘Shut Down’, ‘Lana’ and ‘Farmers Daughter’.

1967: A recording session at Western Recorders studio in Hollywood for ‘Heroes and Villains’. Diane Rovell, sister of Brian’s wife Marilyn, books all the musicians today, a job which she will continue on many more recording sessions.

1970: A recording session at Brian’s home studio in Bel Air, California sees the group work on ‘I Just Got My Pay’ and ‘Carnival’.

1979: A recording session at Sounds Good studios & (presumably later in the day) Dick Dalton Studios, Los Angeles, California, for the song ‘Love Surrounds Me’.

2001: VH1 ranks Pet Sounds the 3rd greatest album of all time behind Nirvana’s Nevermind (2nd) and The Beatles’ Revolver (1st).

2015: The Beach Boys play a show at the Artis-Naples Center in Naples, Florida.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:28:06 PM by Adult Child » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »

JANUARY 5th

1963: First recording session for the Beach Boys’ second album Surfin’ USA, which takes place at Western Recorders studio in Hollywood. Songs worked on include ‘Surfin USA’, ‘Shut Down’, ‘Lana’ and ‘Farmers Daughter’.

Must've felt so amazing to be working on a second album for Capitol. Momentum building, fandom rising, and the recording of two songs that would clearly be hits.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »

Today in 1967 also saw the final recording session held for "Do You Like Worms", but I guess that also falls into the "Heroes and Villains" session as well.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx