gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:33:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This day in Beach Boys history  (Read 18362 times)
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:46:55 PM »

Starting today (December 31st) I'm going to post everyday what happened that day in Beach Boys history. Most of the information will be from The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary by Keith Badman, which only covers up to 1976 in detail, so if there's anything I miss than that's why (sorry in advance). If anybody knows information that I haven't posted feel free to of course. Also, Happy New Year!

DECEMBER 31st

1961: The Beach Boys play after Ike & Tina Turner in their second live appearance, which took place at the Ritchie Valens Memorial Dance at Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach, California. The event was booked for them by local radio station KFWB. They played 3 songs, including 'Surfin'. They were so excited by their performance that they forgot their drums when they left. It is also their first appearance with the name Beach Boys.

1962: The Beach Boys play the last show of a short tour they'd begun on December 17th. This final show took place at the Gold Rush Festival Auditorium in Stockton, California.

1964: One of their first gigs without Brian and with Glen Campbell, which took place at The Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina.

1965: The Beach Boys play the New Year's Eve Teen Spectacular at the UPS Field House in Tacoma, Washington. Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Yardbirds, The Beau Brummels, Vejtables, Alexys, and the Mojo Men are also on the bill. Near the end a bunch of fans mobbed the stage and the Beach Boys "leaped off the stage" according to a reviewer.

1966: English music paper Melody Maker names Pet Sounds joint album of the year along with The Beatles' Revolver. They describe the album as ".... huge orchestral paintings that had never been heard before in pop music."

1973: The Beach Boys play a New Year's Eve show at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:23:47 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »

Good call, AC. Ian (Rusten) used to do this at one time. Good of you to take it up again...

And a Happy New Year to you too!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »

Good call, AC. Ian (Rusten) used to do this at one time. Good of you to take it up again...

And a Happy New Year to you too!

Thank you!

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »

JANUARY 1st

1964: The first recording session for Shut Down Volume 2, held at Western Recorders studio in Hollywood. They work on 'Fun Fun Fun' and 'The Warmth of the Sun'. Both songs are nearly completed and only small overdubs will be added later.

1966: The Beach Boys play at The Coliseum in Seattle, Washington with the same groups that were on the bill the night before. The Party album peaks on the Billboard chart at number 6, and 'The Little Girl I Once Knew' peaks at number 20.

1967: Capitol Records is delivered the 466,000 copies of the Smile album jacket and 419,200 copies of the Smile album booklet they'd ordered. They expect the album soon.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:24:38 PM by Adult Child » Logged

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »

I'd suggest that if you are going to the trouble of doing this daily listing that you use the best source available which is here...
http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs.html

The Badman book has dozens of inaccurate and/or false listings.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:08:33 AM »

January 2nd
1963: A recording session for a song called ‘Punchline’ which will go unreleased for 30 years before being released on the Good Vibrations boxset. This session takes place at Western Recorders studio in Hollywood.

1964: Brian works on a song called ‘She Rides With Me’ for Paul Petersen, teenage actor & singer. The session takes place at Western Recorders studio in Hollywood.

1965: The Beach Boys play a gig at the Alan B Shepard Convention Center in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

1970: A song noted as ‘Untitled #3’ is recorded at Brian’s home studio in Bel Air, California, featuring session musicians (some of who had played on Pet Sounds).

1976: Dennis Wilson is arrested for carrying a .38 revolver he’d taken from his girlfriend, Karen Lamm. He is quickly released with the charges dropped.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:25:12 PM by Adult Child » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:48:09 AM »

Yeah-I haven't had time to do this in a longtime but I do beg you to do it right. In case you don't know-as Jon pointed out-the badman book was very pretty to look at but people like myself and c-man began to point out that it was full of errors. I eventually began to compile a list of these errors and also began to compile all the shows I was finding that weren't in the book. This list grew to hundreds of missing shows and Jon and I then wrote a book called The Beach Boys in concert which is far more superior in terms of concerts info.  Of course there were a few errors that still crept in and I have found many more missing shows since the publication in 2013. Luckily I also supply the concert info for the website Jon supplied you a link for and I can update that. So that website has the most accurate and fullest info about concerts recording sessions and tv appearances that exists anywhere
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 06:55:19 AM »

Yeah-I haven't had time to do this in a longtime but I do beg you to do it right. In case you don't know-as Jon pointed out-the badman book was very pretty to look at but people like myself and c-man began to point out that it was full of errors. I eventually began to compile a list of these errors and also began to compile all the shows I was finding that weren't in the book. This list grew to hundreds of missing shows and Jon and I then wrote a book called The Beach Boys in concert which is far more superior in terms of concerts info.  Of course there were a few errors that still crept in and I have found many more missing shows since the publication in 2013. Luckily I also supply the concert info for the website Jon supplied you a link for and I can update that. So that website has the most accurate and fullest info about concerts recording sessions and tv appearances that exists anywhere

I'm still looking at the book 'cause of the specific information it has on the dates but if the date isn't mentioned on the website too I won't include it.
I'm a bit bummed out about that, I've read that book front to back and back again endless times since I was 13. It's always been a favorite.
I'll get a copy of yer guys book after my next paycheck. Thanks for letting me know bout all this!

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 06:55:58 AM »

To illustrate some of the errors of badman: it has proved impossible to find any evidence of the venues played on that December 1962 tour though they definitely played some shows at that time-but the info in badman about it is problematic. See the footnote about it under 1962 on the website. The info about a January 1975 show at Madison square garden was an error-see our website for correct info about 1975.  As you will see-badman had a ton of incorrect information about that year
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 07:02:55 AM »

I'd suggest that if you are going to the trouble of doing this daily listing that you use the best source available which is here...
http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs.html

The Badman book has dozens of inaccurate and/or false listings.

For all the time and effort the two of you put into research, you should consider finding a different host for your work, all things considered.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 07:07:03 AM »

Also thanks to Alan Boyd, c-man, myself and agd amongst others, the website has a lot of corrected information about recording sessions. One thing badman didn't do was obtain all of session tracking documents from the American federation of musicians but we have since done that. Also he didn't have the cooperation of the bbs and therefore didn't have access to all the documentation they have from tape boxes-which we have access to.  And of course c-man became involved in writing session info for recent releases and uncovered tons more details and dates
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »

For all the time and effort the two of you put into research, you should consider finding a different host for your work, all things considered.

Do you mean a different website or a different person to run this kinda thread?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 07:17:41 AM »

A different website and host. Nothing to do with you in this thread.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »

Alright, I figured just the word host threw me off. And yeah, they should.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »

Also thanks to Alan Boyd, c-man, myself and agd amongst others, the website has a lot of corrected information about recording sessions. One thing badman didn't do was obtain all of session tracking documents from the American federation of musicians but we have since done that. Also he didn't have the cooperation of the bbs and therefore didn't have access to all the documentation they have from tape boxes-which we have access to.  And of course c-man became involved in writing session info for recent releases and uncovered tons more details and dates

Unless I missed them somehow, why didn't the recent Michigan '66 and Chicago '65 releases get liner notes like the Sacramento '64 notes?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »

C-man could answer that better but I think those releases were basically just no frills
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »

Alright, I figured just the word host threw me off. And yeah, they should.

They should indeed.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 07:34:08 AM »

I really try to avoid getting into these political debates. Clearly you have had differences with Andrew and David beard but if you analyze the website it is a very unbiased resource. Bellagio is just the facts and nothing but the facts
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »

I'd say the Sacramento shows were also no-frills, pretty much a typical BB's show that got recorded, but when the subsequent releases had Brian's involvement, especially Michigan '66 where the concert had been written about for years with all surrounding events including the premiere of GV, Brian flying to the venue to rehearse the band, it was a bigger event in terms of history than the other shows, especially Sacramento. There were some great, in-depth discussions on this board about Michigan '66 because it had so much surrounding it of historical interest, I would have thought it would receive more background info with an "official" release of a 1966 show where Brian was involved and even got brought on stage during the show, considering the October '66 era when it happened.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:24 AM »

I agree that it deserves nice liner notes but that is unfortunately the reality of the business. The label probably had no financial incentive to do more so we will only get liner notes if Craig wants to write them for free out of the goodness of his heart
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »

So there was no call for liners after the '64 release?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 07:46:22 AM »

I am not sure.  By the way we're still waiting for Craig to publish his liners for made in California
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »

I really try to avoid getting into these political debates. Clearly you have had differences with Andrew and David beard but if you analyze the website it is a very unbiased resource. Bellagio is just the facts and nothing but the facts

They're not just my differences when spreading verifiably bad information has been an issue with the website host.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »

Like I said I'm not going to express an opinion about that mine field but let me know if you find anything on the actual bellagio section of the website that seems in anyway biased or unreliable. Certainly there is nothing in the gigs and sessions section I'm involved in
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »

That may be the main sticking point, as well as something of a shame for those who put the time and effort into getting things right. It's hard to put any value on a resource that promotes the facts and the truth while the entity hosting that info passed information around that was blatantly false, not to mention the personal nature of some of the false claims. There cannot be a sense of promoting just the facts and the truth while actions and behaviors did just the opposite.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx