gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:44:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner!: NO REPLY  (Read 34074 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:57 AM »

Rock and Roll Music. The BB's version is MUCH better.

There...I said it.
There you said it indeed. :D I do like the BBs version but the Beatles did it better.

"Words of love"

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:22 AM »

There...I said it.
There you said it indeed. :D I do like the BBs version but the Beatles did it better.

"Words of love"

I actually prefer Chuck Berry's, but I'll agree that The Beatles bested The Beach Boys on that one.  I think the Beach Boys version is just flat. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »

There...I said it.

"Words of love"

Rock N Roll music sung by Michael E. Love or John Lennon?

Hmmmm... While I do like the synth backing of the Beach Boys, The Beatles' version sounds young, vibrant, and exciting. In contrast, the Beach Boys version sounds like hairy middle aged guys, all sweaty, hanging out trying to pick up on high school girls.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:32:35 AM by pixletwin » Logged
KDS
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »

There...I said it.

"Words of love"

Hmmmm... While I do like the synth backing of the Beach Boys, The Beatles' version sounds young, vibrant, and exciting. In contrast, the Beach Boys version sounds like hairy middle aged guys, all sweaty, hanging out trying to pick up on high school girls.

That's pretty much how I feel. 

I can only image what it was like in 1976 to finally have a new BB record in my hands for the first time in 3 years, dropping the needle to hear the followup to the brilliant Holland album, and the very non rock and roll, Rock and Roll Music comes out of the speakers.  Oh my. 

John sang it when The Beatles were still peaking.  Mike and The Boys did it once their creative peak was over, and they starting chasing nostalgia for a living. 
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »

I Don't Want To Spoil The Party is kinda dull so that.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »

There...I said it.

"Words of love"

I can only image what it was like in 1976 to finally have a new BB record in my hands for the first time in 3 years, dropping the needle to hear the followup to the brilliant Holland album, and the very non rock and roll, Rock and Roll Music comes out of the speakers.  Oh my. 

John sang it when The Beatles were still peaking.  Mike and The Boys did it once their creative peak was over, and they starting chasing nostalgia for a living. 

The album version is kind of flat, but the single version (and the MIC version, come to think of it) is pretty sweet.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »

There...I said it.

"Words of love"

The album version is kind of flat, but the single version (and the MIC version, come to think of it) is pretty sweet.

I will agree that the version that appears on MIC is miles better than the 15BO version, and it's a pretty good song in concert, but I still prefer The Fab Four version to any BB version. 

But, like I said before, I'd have loved to hear the 1964 BB cover it.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »

Definitely R&R Music
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »

There...I said it.
Remember that Full House episode where "Uncle Jessie" gets stuck with that band of old people, and they're playing and singing waaaaay behind him? That's what I picture when I hear Rock and Roll Music by The Beach Boys.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2017, 04:08:24 AM »

2pixletwin: Looks like you replied to Billy's post, not mine as I said I prefer Beatles version to BBs. So we agree.

& KDS, you forgot to buzz off song. You just discussed R&RM. Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »

2pixletwin: Looks like you replied to Billy's post, not mine as I said I prefer Beatles version to BBs. So we agree.

& KDS, you forgot to buzz off song. You just discussed R&RM. Smiley

I said Words of Love earlier. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »

Yes but not in this round. Smiley

KDS
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2017, 05:38:34 AM »

Yes but not in this round. Smiley

Words of Love
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:32:39 AM by KDS » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2017, 05:59:14 AM »

No, you voted WoL in the past round, not in this. The 1st post in this round was you discussing R&RM & which version you like the best. But you didn't actually mention WoL. It's still there, you can vote it again as did others.

KDS
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:56 AM »

No, you voted WoL in the past round, not in this. The 1st post in this round was you discussing R&RM & which version you like the best. But you didn't actually mention WoL. It's still there, you can vote it again as did others.

Edited my vote for Words of Love. 
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »

The Beatles were growing, covers of any kind except for Ringo were about to be over.  The original tracks are so strong I can not vote to off them before the covers are gone.  This round, next round, doesn't matter.

I did get a chuckle out of pixletwin's take on 1976 Beach Boys, but as one who was there when that needle first made contact, I know the deal with the high school girls didn't start til the 80's.  It looked creepy, and it was.  I really think Mike thought of that as more trying to recreate the days with Go-Go Girls and Guys dancing around the stage, which was neat on something like the T.A.M.I. Show, but came across as more "dirty old man groping" at the baseball fields and fairgrounds they were choosing to play at.  Maybe they should have taken the Showcase Clubs route instead, just room for the band on those small stages.  I noticed Al cringing more than once, and Carl rolled his eyes and played on.  It seemed a compromise that Carl made with Mike when he came back to the band.  Nobody could convince Mike the early 60's couldn't be recreated like that.  The same can be said for the Beach Boys version of "Rock and Roll Music" - they were not doing this song in the 60's, so we'll never know.  Just another speculation.  They didn't touch the power of a John led Beatles at the top of his Rock and Roll game.  John had Chuck in his soul too, that wasn't the exclusive domain of the Beach Boys, and especially not in 1976.  John was worn out too by the mid-70's, let's point that out.  John could not have shouted out those lyrics as convincingly at 35, as is well shown on his Rock and Roll album.  He did better sticking to the slow groovers.  He wasn't a Rocker anymore.

Mike wanted to pick up the pace, and leave the hippie robes behind by 1973.  He was ripping thru Stones numbers, too.  Effective or not, he felt it was time to add a bit of show - the same thing the Beatles did in Hamburg.  I enjoyed the spangle-y  turbaned Mike of 1976.  He wanted attention, and he got it.  One of the reasons they became such a popular act in 1973 and 1974, but that lasted just so long.  I love 15 Big Ones, as I've posted so long I'm blue.  I'll say there are worse songs on the album, and leave it at that.

My pick is "Words of Love"

What the hell are you folks going to do when we get to the meat of this album?  Besides argue.  Stones/Beatles, Beach Boys/Beatles, John/Paul.  And let me add one more thought for you to argue about:  I was around in the mid-60's.  It was not Beach Boys vs. Beatles nearly as much as Stones vs. Beatles being discussed in the schoolyard.  My Beach Boys obsession was shouted down on a regular basis.  Sort of like now.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2017, 08:00:04 PM »

As Words of Love is about to be voted off, I thought I'd post this letter I recently read. Yup, reading other peoples mail again...
http://electricearl.com/dawson/lennon.html
John Lennon: "What (Buddy Holly) did with 3 chords made a songwriter out of me!!"

Every wave is new until it breaks.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »

Welcome back to the fight to survive!

The MANIA continues!!!!

Beatles for Sale is the fourth studio album by the English rock band the Beatles, released on 4 December 1964 in the United Kingdom and produced by George Martin for Parlophone. The album marked a minor turning point in the evolution of the Lennon–McCartney partnership, John Lennon particularly now showing interest in composing songs of a more autobiographical nature. "I'm a Loser" shows Lennon for the first time coming under the influence of Bob Dylan, whom he met in New York while on tour, on 28 August 1964.

Beatles for Sale did not produce a single for the UK – the non-album tracks "I Feel Fine" and "She's a Woman" performed that role. Nevertheless, that coupling was followed up in the United States by "Eight Days a Week", which became their seventh number one in March 1965. In Australia, the only-ever non-original Beatles single (either side) went to Number One: Chuck Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" backed with Carl Perkins' "Honey, Don't", which held the summit for four weeks.

The album hit the UK number one spot and retained that position for 11 of the 46 weeks that it spent in the Top 20. Beatles for Sale did not surface as a regular album in the US until 1987. In its place was Beatles '65 which featured eight songs from Beatles for Sale, plus the A and B-side of "I Feel Fine" and "I'll Be Back" from the UK's A Hard Day's Night album. Beatles '65 enjoyed a nine-week run at the top of the US charts from January 1965.

Much better turnout this week. (15 votes)

Words of Love perhaps should have been Words of Persuasion. 9 smilers voted it off.

Per the usual, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

Vote tally will be on January 14.

No Reply
I'm A Loser
Baby's In Black
Rock and Roll Music
I'll Follow The Sun
Eight Days A Week
Every Little Thing
I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
What You're Doing

Round#1 Mr. Moonlight December 30
Round#2 Honey Don't January 2
Round#3 Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey! January 5
Round#4 Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby January 8
Round#5 Words of Love January 11

I am not quite ready to let go of Rock and Roll music, soooo

I Don't Want To spoil the Party has to be the next to go.

VOTE!!!

3D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:29:58 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »

i dont want to spoil the party

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
KDS
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »

I'm going Every Little Thing
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »

This is where it starts getting hard. Choosing between 'Every Little Thing' and 'I Dont Want To Spoil The Party' is pretty hard but I'm choosing

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »

I don't want to spoil the party

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2017, 11:41:49 AM »

I Don't Want To Spoil The Party.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »

Well, this must be where I part ways with the crowd...

I'll Follow The Sun
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:15:08 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »

Well, this must be where I part ways with the crowd...

I"ll Follow The Sun

You weren't kidding

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx