gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:28:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heard Another One on Sirrius XM Deep Tracks...  (Read 17478 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »

Mike will be on the Elvis Channel (Channel 19) tomorrow, November 2, at 1:30 Central Time. He will also do a guest DJ slot.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »

Mike will be on the Elvis Channel (Channel 19) tomorrow, November 2, at 1:30 Central Time. He will also do a guest DJ slot.

Did anyone happen to catch that?  I forgot about it and would've only had about 10 minutes to listen anyway.  Have The Beach Boys ever spoken much about Elvis besides Brian's interactions with him in the studio in 1975?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:30:41 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »

I had it on - it was being broadcast live on his FB page. However a family member arrived just then and so couldn't listen to it

Just checked - looks like the replay can be heard at least for a while on his FB page
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:22:09 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »

I had it on - it was being broadcast live on his FB page. However a family member arrived just then and so couldn't listen to it

Just checked - looks like the replay can be heard at least for a while on his FB page

Thanks NOLA BB Fan! I'll check it out
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »

I know that the interview segment is up on Mike's facebook, but does anyone know the Elvis songs that Mike selected as the guest DJ? I'd be interested to find out!

So, I've been listening to Petty's "Buried Treasure" show...heard Farmer's Daughter, Friends, and Surf's Up tonight.

It's nice to hear his voice.

^since then I've heard Shut Down P.2., Let Him Run Wild, Forever, Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone, Marcella, and Sail On Sailor.

Tom name-checked the Carl & the Passions - So Tough album both times and also encouraged record collectors to listen to the b-sides because the BBs 'always had something good' on the b-side. Just, generally, had a lot of very nice things to say about the Beach Boys, including their lesser known earlier material and the late '60s -early '70s period.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »

Petty of course also wrote some introductory liner notes for the 2000 CD for "Holland."

It's too bad Petty didn't do more with Carl. Imagine Petty (who was co-writing great stuff for the Wilburys as well as Jeff Lynne, George Harrison, and Roy Orbison solo albums) giving Carl a song or two to put on a BB album in the late 80s/early 90s. Imagine Carl singing a song like "You Got It" or "Free Fallin" on a 1989 Beach Boys album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »

I know that the interview segment is up on Mike's facebook, but does anyone know the Elvis songs that Mike selected as the guest DJ? I'd be interested to find out!

I just caught a little bit of Mike on the Elvis channel. I heard him play Unleash The Love and California Girls.

Mike also did a guest DJ slot on 70s on 7 today.

It's too bad Petty didn't do more with Carl. Imagine Petty (who was co-writing great stuff for the Wilburys as well as Jeff Lynne, George Harrison, and Roy Orbison solo albums) giving Carl a song or two to put on a BB album in the late 80s/early 90s. Imagine Carl singing a song like "You Got It" or "Free Fallin" on a 1989 Beach Boys album.

I totally agree. 'You Got It' is the perfect example. It's not hard at all to imagine Carl singing it (or a similar song). The timing would have been perfect.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »

A BBs sirius channel would be amazing! You could have BBs, solo BBs, Jan & Dean, hell, even some of McCartney's Beatles songs that were influenced by the BBs.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »

A BBs sirius channel would be amazing! You could have BBs, solo BBs, Jan & Dean, hell, even some of McCartney's Beatles songs that were influenced by the BBs.

And always hear Mike's story about Back in the U.S.S.R.  Grin
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »

Heard "Little Saint Nick" for the first of many times to come this season today...of course!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »

The other day in a electronics store in New Zealand I was amazed to hear Steamboat, I actually freaked out a bit
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »

The other day in a electronics store in New Zealand I was amazed to hear Steamboat, I actually freaked out a bit

Wow, that's amazing - never thought that one would EVER be heard on the radio, outside of maybe a documentary or fan-hosted tribute program...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »

I heard "Caroline, No" - the stereo mix - on DTs the other morning - but it sounded very weird, and not all that good. The vocals were too low, and there was some weird phasing. They probably used too much compression/limiting, or maybe even played the 5.1 mix by accident?

Earlier the same morning, I had the Elvis channel on while taking my mom to the airport (Elvis being her fave singer). John Stamos was guest-DJing, and he had past-and-present Beach Boys manager Jerry Schilling on the phone (Jerry having worked for Elvis before working for Billy Joel and eventually the Beach Boys). Among some great Elvis stories, Jerry told the story of how he was tour-manager for Billy Joel when he opened for the Boys at Pine Knob. Having hit it off with the guys, he was still surprised when Carl Wilson called him up and asked him to take over from Rick Nelson as tour manager for the band. Sometime later, he became Carl's personal manager, and then Mike Love asked him to do the same for the group. As we all know, he was subsequently dismissed from that role in favor of Tom Hulett, but is now once again at the co-helm of Brother Records, Inc. He seems to genuinely like Stamos, and even complimented him as a drummer, saying he hoped everyone listening had the chance to see him play with the band ("No one can really fill the big shoes Dennis Wilson left, but this guy does a great job" - words to that effect).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:51:50 AM by c-man » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »

I asked Alexa to play Christmas songs, after about 10-15 Kona Christmas came on.  I was pretty surprised by that choice.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »

Never Learn Not To Love on Underground Garage last night.

Wow, that's amazing - never thought that one would EVER be heard on the radio, outside of maybe a documentary or fan-hosted tribute program...

Indeed. In New Zealand, nearly 45 years after release, no less!

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »

Heard "Wendy" on the Underground Garage channel this morning
DJ praised the song afterwards

13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »

Petty of course also wrote some introductory liner notes for the 2000 CD for "Holland."

Seems like Petty's best work from the 80s and 90s was better than all of the BB and solo work from the 70s to today.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »

Seems like Petty's best work from the 80s and 90s was better than all of the BB and solo work from the 70s to today.

Better than CATP, Surf's Up, Holland, Sunflower, Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, Brian Wilson, Smile, etc...?  I think not. 
KDS
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »

I'd agree with that.   While I find a lot of the post Holland BB / solo material to be pleasant, I think most of it falls under "for die hard fans only." 
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »

Better than CATP, Surf's Up, Holland, Sunflower, Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, Brian Wilson, Smile, etc...?  I think not. 

I love all those albums, minus Brian Wilson 88 but I think if I played that for a non BB fan ... they really wouldn't get it. The BB music truly is an acquired taste.

As for Petty, his stuff from mid-80s to late-90s was BRILLIANT and CREATED fans. Keep in mind, I have over 2,000 BB and BB related songs on my smart phone and ZERO Petty albums. Just an observation. I feel the Beach Boys or just Carl would have benefited GREATLY from a teaming with Petty. Can you imagine Carl in the Traveling Wilburys during the first run? He would have become a house hold name.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »

I love all those albums, minus Brian Wilson 88 but I think if I played that for a non BB fan ... they really wouldn't get it. The BB music truly is an acquired taste.

As for Petty, his stuff from mid-80s to late-90s was BRILLIANT and CREATED fans. Keep in mind, I have over 2,000 BB and BB related songs on my smart phone and ZERO Petty albums. Just an observation. I feel the Beach Boys or just Carl would have benefited GREATLY from a teaming with Petty. Can you imagine Carl in the Traveling Wilburys during the first run? He would have become a house hold name.

I definitely agree that Carl being in the Wilburys might have been spectacular.  And I'm not criticizing Tom Petty - I like some of his stuff although I'm not a die-hard fan by any means.  I can't claim to know his whole catalogue and maybe I just don't realize that he was a genius.  I also agree that the BB music is an acquired taste - but once you acquire it, you realize how incredible it is and, quite frankly, how superior it is to the vast majority of pop music.  Which is what I was trying to get at.  Tom Petty wrote some really solid, catchy songs.  But the BB did that too (songs like Sail on Sailor and Marcella) and then created masterpieces like Surf's Up, which go way beyond straight-ahead rock. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »

Tom Petty was in such a different wheelhouse from the BBs, but his music was more than just "straight-ahead rock." His output from 1989 through the 90s is pretty impressive.

I'd say Petty's best albums like "Full Moon Fever" and "Wildflowers" are stronger front-to-back than most latter-day BB albums.

"Full Moon Fever" is a stronger album front-to-back than BW '88, to make the closest available comparison. And obviously, Petty's output far exceeded the spotty post-1980 work the BBs collectively or solo did.

If someone told me they thought Petty's output was stronger than the BBs 70s work, I would assume they were probably talking more about the post-1975 material like "15 Big Ones", etc.

In any event, to me anyway it sounds a bit dismissive or patronizing to downplay Petty's stuff as "catchy" and/or "straight ahead rock." It was all of that often. But he had a whole style, and lyrical output, that was so different from the BBs that it's hard to compare.

Again, maybe the BBs speak to you more than anything else. But that doesn't always make it more substantive or serious or automatically superior to most of the rest of music. I feel like I would have to have a pretty wide, diverse knowledge of pop music before assuming the BBs were superior.

To the degree I am knowledgeable of a wider scope of music, I've found that the BB's most transcendent, highest peaks are hard to beat by much of anyone. When it comes to the best of their best, they're right up there with the top tier. But in terms of career-long, front-to-back album quality, the BBs have a much patchier record. Their era, as a group, of regularly making new music only lasted about 20 years when you think about it. It's 1961-1980, and then (in terms of released music anyway), it's very scattered (and what *is* there isn't all A-grade material). Brian obviously ramped up productivity starting in the late 90s on his solo material, with widely mixed results.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »

I think the trick is to listen WITHOUT bias. We are all hardcore BB fans on this forum. Personally, I love a song like Marcella but the reality is that a song like that isn't meant for public consumption. I can find a treasure on every single BB album but to the casual listener, they want another Pet Sounds or worse ... another 'Fun, Fun, Fun'. Obviously, in a way Mike was right to bitch about the "formula" because Brian's ambitious music, which created a pop masterpiece also likely doomed them to peaking at #50 or higher on the charts with each and every single. That was either because he started making music WAY too far out there or because he had a breakdown and left the band hanging and forced other members to contribute more than they were capable of doing.

Friends - #47
Blue Birds over the Mountain - #61
Break Away - #63
Add Some Music - #64
Cottonfield - #103
Long Promised Road - #89
Marcella - 110

Tom Petty

I Won't Back Down - #12
Free Fallin' - #7
Mary Jane's Last Dance - #14
American Girl - #9
You Don't Know How It Feels - #13

Now, I will throw this to member HeyJude who is 1,000 times more eloquent than I am... do you think it was easier for the BB to make it big during their era (60s) than it was for someone like Petty in the 80s and 90s? It seems like in 1963 there was a lot less to do than say in 1994 when Petty released Wildflowers. In the early 90s Petty had to compete with Michael Jackson, grunge, the rise of the internet and the improvements in movies and video games. Unless I am wrong, in 1965 there were only three channels on TV making the appearance of the boys on Sullivan a HUGE deal.

Again, I say all this as a die hard BB fan looking for discussion on this awesome board.
KDS
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »

I think the trick is to listen WITHOUT bias. We are all hardcore BB fans on this forum. Personally, I love a song like Marcella but the reality is that a song like that isn't meant for public consumption. I can find a treasure on every single BB album but to the casual listener, they want another Pet Sounds or worse ... another 'Fun, Fun, Fun'. Obviously, in a way Mike was right to bitch about the "formula" because Brian's ambitious music, which created a pop masterpiece also likely doomed them to peaking at #50 or higher on the charts with each and every single. That was either because he started making music WAY too far out there or because he had a breakdown and left the band hanging and forced other members to contribute more than they were capable of doing.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  As much as I love the albums Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland, if I were to play those to casual or non fans, they'd likely shrug their shoulders.  However, I can throw on something like Sounds of Summer (featuring mostly their 60s hits), to a crowd with diverse music tastes, and it would go over well. 
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

Now, I will throw this to member HeyJude who is 1,000 times more eloquent than I am... do you think it was easier for the BB to make it big during their era (60s) than it was for someone like Petty in the 80s and 90s? It seems like in 1963 there was a lot less to do than say in 1994 when Petty released Wildflowers. In the early 90s Petty had to compete with Michael Jackson, grunge, the rise of the internet and the improvements in movies and video games. Unless I am wrong, in 1965 there were only three channels on TV making the appearance of the boys on Sullivan a HUGE deal.

Again, I say all this as a die hard BB fan looking for discussion on this awesome board.

I forgot to add ... AGEISM.
The boys made it in their prime, they were all young, handsome men with a heartthrob in the ripped Dennis Wilson.
By the 90s, Tom was considered an old fart but still defied logic and found some HUGE success when the popular, extremely MTV friendly bands of the time like Nirvana were making fun of "over the hill" rockers in their late 20s and early 30s from the hair metal days.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx