gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:12:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 50096 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »

I'm assuming the third camp before 2012 was Al?

Yes.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »

I've heard a fan report that Jeff mentioned he had offers from all three "camps" to join circa 1998/99.

I'm a bit skeptical of how firm an offer he received from either Al or Mike.

As Jeff even alluded to in his 2014 interview, even in 2014 he had some issues he had to talk out with Mike before rejoining. Read his mid-90s interview about his 1990 departure to learn more about the issues that may have been at play. Both Mike and Carl are specifically mentioned by Jeff in the interview was having issues with Jeff.

But I'm a bit skeptical that only eight years later, Mike would have been so quickly jumping back into asking Jeff back. On the other hand, he did lose his falsetto guy when Matt Jardine left in 1998 (Matt continued to do some gigs with Mike even after Al's departure), so there was a slot in the band he needed to fill.

Meanwhile, by the time Al was starting his "Family & Friends" band up in late 1998, he of course was going to have Matt in the band doing a lot of falsettos (and leads). So that would have filled the main role Jeff could have. Obviously, Jeff could have still joined Al's band and played guitar and sang higher mid-range parts, etc.

Jeff has seemed to have a pattern of arguably over-inflating his stories/resume on occasion (I still remember his website claiming he was going to get on stage with Paul McCartney at McCartney's show and play with him; that obviously never happened because I was at both Bay Area shows where they claimed it was happening/had happened). His 8 and 1/2 year tenure with the band has often ballooned to 10 or 12 or more years; sometimes they just count from 1981 and say he's been there for like 35 years. Nothing major, but I could see some random talk around 1998 about playing with these guys could morph into all three guys actually offering him spots.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »

Having met Foskett at a friends home in Princeton NJ 20 years ago when he performed solo for a group of about 30 people, I must say I was not overly impressed with him. He had a huge ego, appeared very self centered, and in general, a bit irritating with his "I'm a really big star" attitude. I just couldn't warm up to the guy....he's talented, for sure, and I have all of his solo CD's......and I think they're really great. But Jeff Fosket the man..........hopefully a lot better than the guy I met that Sunday afternoon 20 years ago in Princeton.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »

Having met Foskett at a friends home in Princeton NJ 20 years ago when he performed solo for a group of about 30 people, I must say I was not overly impressed with him. He had a huge ego, appeared very self centered, and in general, a bit irritating with his "I'm a really big star" attitude. I just couldn't warm up to the guy....he's talented, for sure, and I have all of his solo CD's......and I think they're really great. But Jeff Fosket the man..........hopefully a lot better than the guy I met that Sunday afternoon 20 years ago in Princeton.

A perfect fit for Mikes group then.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

Some talk about Jeffrey..the name he likes to be called.  Want to add he has very poor book keeping skills (money).
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »

I've heard a fan report that Jeff mentioned he had offers from all three "camps" to join circa 1998/99.

I'm a bit skeptical of how firm an offer he received from either Al or Mike.

As Jeff even alluded to in his 2014 interview, even in 2014 he had some issues he had to talk out with Mike before rejoining. Read his mid-90s interview about his 1990 departure to learn more about the issues that may have been at play. Both Mike and Carl are specifically mentioned by Jeff in the interview was having issues with Jeff.

But I'm a bit skeptical that only eight years later, Mike would have been so quickly jumping back into asking Jeff back. On the other hand, he did lose his falsetto guy when Matt Jardine left in 1998 (Matt continued to do some gigs with Mike even after Al's departure), so there was a slot in the band he needed to fill.

Meanwhile, by the time Al was starting his "Family & Friends" band up in late 1998, he of course was going to have Matt in the band doing a lot of falsettos (and leads). So that would have filled the main role Jeff could have. Obviously, Jeff could have still joined Al's band and played guitar and sang higher mid-range parts, etc.

Jeff has seemed to have a pattern of arguably over-inflating his stories/resume on occasion (I still remember his website claiming he was going to get on stage with Paul McCartney at McCartney's show and play with him; that obviously never happened because I was at both Bay Area shows where they claimed it was happening/had happened). His 8 and 1/2 year tenure with the band has often ballooned to 10 or 12 or more years; sometimes they just count from 1981 and say he's been there for like 35 years. Nothing major, but I could see some random talk around 1998 about playing with these guys could morph into all three guys actually offering him spots.

This pretty much sums up exactly what I was thinking.  I highly doubt that Jeff would have turned down an invitation to rejoin Mike's band in 1998.  Even in 1999 when Brian's first real tour was forming, there were question as to if Brian was really going to do the tour.  Brian has been touring very consistently since 1999, but in 1998, the idea of Brian Wilson doing a full touring still seemed somewhat doubtful.  And when Brian did his live Imagination show that was filmed in 1998, asn't it Christopher Cross who did the high vocal parts?  It seems to make more sense that Jeff was offered the role in Brian's band quite awhile after Mike had already hired Adrian Baker.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »

It is likely that the BR show Saturday night will be cancelled if it hasn't been already.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »

It is likely that the BR show Saturday night will be cancelled if it hasn't been already.

Yes it’s a shame. They play in Biloxi pretty much every year on the first Friday and Saturday in October, as part of the Cruisin the Coast celebration (thousands of vintage cars cruising the beach highway).
But Mother Nature is being a spoilsport, as Biloxi along with New Orleans will be dealing with a hurricane starting late Saturday.  Angry

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »

I just got tickets to the Hiawassee show. I forgot that they went on sale last jight, but still managed to get 10th row for $55 a ticket. Not bad.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

I'm a bit surprised Mike is taking December (and January) off from touring according to the schedules. There's a 12/1 gig, and that's it.

I dunno, maybe he's just doing a bunch of private/corporate gigs or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

Yeah...usually there's a string of Christmas gigs through theatres around the country...and he typically hits the California theatre circuit or the Florida theatre circuit...seems those gigs are being saved for Mid February to Early March.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »

Yeah...usually there's a string of Christmas gigs through theatres around the country...and he typically hits the California theatre circuit or the Florida theatre circuit...seems those gigs are being saved for Mid February to Early March.
I would think now, when Unleash the Love is just out, is when he'd be promoting hard. But I suspect Mike's plans for this album are long range. Probably not expecting a big surge of sales right out of the gate. I think it will be a slow, but steady seller for a couple years at his shows.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »

Just got back from the Hiawassee show. Setlist was
Safari, Catch, Hawaii, Do It Again (with piped in vocals), surfin usa, surfer girl, getcha back, good to baby, you're so good, kiss me baby, dance dance, Paris, darlin, fools, grow up, be true, betsy, don't worry, deuce coupe, 409, shut down
intermission
Cal dreaming, sloop, nice, kissed her, cal girls, hearts, disney, god only knows, pisces, cool head, unleash the love, wanna dance, kokomo, rhonda, barbara ann, good vibes

encore
st nick, wild honey, fun fun fun

bad cell phone photos and a short clip of st nick at https://www.instagram.com/p/BcMHb4Bllvd/?taken-by=jacobisoutofideas
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »

Also, all of the Wild Honey Tour shirts were $15 since the tour is over.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »

Safari, Catch, Hawaii, Do It Again (with piped in vocals), surfin usa, surfer girl, getcha back, good to baby, you're so good, kiss me baby, dance dance, Paris, darlin, fools, grow up, be true, betsy, don't worry, deuce coupe, 409, shut down
intermission
Cal dreaming, sloop, nice, kissed her, cal girls, hearts, disney, god only knows, pisces, cool head, unleash the love, wanna dance, kokomo, rhonda, barbara ann, good vibes

encore

bad cell phone photos and a short clip of st nick at https://www.instagram.com/p/BcMHb4Bllvd/?taken-by=jacobisoutofideas

I don't think he should be using Beach Boys shows to promote his solo stuff.  How does he introduce these songs?  Does he make out like they are Beach Boys songs by not specifying they are solo songs? Mike solo songs mean less Beach Boys songs in the set.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:45 PM »

I would guess that he says that "he" has a new album out. I hope...
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »

He did say that "he" had a new album out and had the album cover up for each song, which clearly said that it was a Mike Love solo album. I'd rather have more xmas bb's songs, but it wasn't done in a shitty way. Shitty songs maybe, but handled well enough. Mike has his strengths and flaws, but how he's promoting the new album isn't one of his flaws.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »

intermission

encore

I don't think he should be using Beach Boys shows to promote his solo stuff.  How does he introduce these songs?  Does he make out like they are Beach Boys songs by not specifying they are solo songs? Mike solo songs mean less Beach Boys songs in the set.
So, by that standard, Brian Wilson should only be doing solo material in his shows, since he is not billed as the Beach Boys.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2017, 02:28:32 AM »

intermission

encore

I don't think he should be using Beach Boys shows to promote his solo stuff.  How does he introduce these songs?  Does he make out like they are Beach Boys songs by not specifying they are solo songs? Mike solo songs mean less Beach Boys songs in the set.
So, by that standard, Brian Wilson should only be doing solo material in his shows, since he is not billed as the Beach Boys.

Not really, no.  If Mike was playing solo or as part of EndlessSummer Band then play Beach Boys songs by all means as Brian does and Mike has.  When Brian played with the Beach Boys in the 80s he did a separate set of a few solo songs.  

At least he is saying 'he' has an album out and not 'we'.  FYI.  I have seen Mike quite a few times and would always prefer to hear Beach Boys songs rather than Cool Head and Pisces Brothers.  Better songs and it is a Beach Boys show after all.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:53:34 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »

The Beach Boys played here in Atlanta last night in a ballroom for a Christmas Party! Why was I not invited? Mike sounded pretty good from the small vids I've seen! What kinda cash does Mike make from a Christmas party? 75,000 bucks?

Cook pork throughly
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »

intermission

encore

I don't think he should be using Beach Boys shows to promote his solo stuff.  How does he introduce these songs?  Does he make out like they are Beach Boys songs by not specifying they are solo songs? Mike solo songs mean less Beach Boys songs in the set.

This is veering close to what I would call "Mott Logic". There is common sense and there is everything else. Common sense is Brian Wilson wrote the songs he performs live, and people come to see the original writer and performer billed under his own name perform the songs. Just like Burt Bacharach doing Dionne's songs at his solo concerts, and McCartney doing Beatles songs. Burt isn't billed as Dionne Warwick or even performing with her in most shows, and McCartney is not billing himself as The Beatles. But they wrote and performed and arranged and all of that...the originals.

Mike has a band of musicians - for which he pays a license for the right to bill them as "The Beach Boys" - playing to crowds who are going to hear Beach Boys songs or songs the original Beach Boys had recorded or performed, like, say, Rock And Roll Music or something other than original BB tunes.

They are not paying to hear "The Beach Boys" play and plug Mike Love solo material.

There could be Mott Logic applied and we'd argue and filibuster in circles for weeks, but this one is so simple we don't need to go there.  Grin

It comes down to whether we think it's OK or not OK for Mike to use The Beach Boys name and license to hawk and promote his own solo material to audiences buying tickets to hear The Beach Boys in name only playing the original arrangements of the hits everyone knows. It seems Mike sees fit to take a sh*t on that notion and do even more of his own solo material instead of BB tunes people are paying to hear.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:27:52 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2017, 10:56:03 AM »

The Beach Boys played here in Atlanta last night in a ballroom for a Christmas Party! Why was I not invited? Mike sounded pretty good from the small vids I've seen! What kinda cash does Mike make from a Christmas party? 75,000 bucks?

Lastofmykind posted here the rate of $50K for the BBs and $25K for the Endless Summer Band. (2015) Not sure of his or her source.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23188.msg553001.html#msg553001
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2017, 11:22:15 PM »

intermission

encore

This is veering close to what I would call "Mott Logic". There is common sense and there is everything else. Common sense is Brian Wilson wrote the songs he performs live, and people come to see the original writer and performer billed under his own name perform the songs. Just like Burt Bacharach doing Dionne's songs at his solo concerts, and McCartney doing Beatles songs. Burt isn't billed as Dionne Warwick or even performing with her in most shows, and McCartney is not billing himself as The Beatles. But they wrote and performed and arranged and all of that...the originals.

Mike has a band of musicians - for which he pays a license for the right to bill them as "The Beach Boys" - playing to crowds who are going to hear Beach Boys songs or songs the original Beach Boys had recorded or performed, like, say, Rock And Roll Music or something other than original BB tunes.

They are not paying to hear "The Beach Boys" play and plug Mike Love solo material.

There could be Mott Logic applied and we'd argue and filibuster in circles for weeks, but this one is so simple we don't need to go there.  Grin

It comes down to whether we think it's OK or not OK for Mike to use The Beach Boys name and license to hawk and promote his own solo material to audiences buying tickets to hear The Beach Boys in name only playing the original arrangements of the hits everyone knows. It seems Mike sees fit to take a sh*t on that notion and do even more of his own solo material instead of BB tunes people are paying to hear.

So was it wrong for the Beach Boys to include some of Carl's solo stuff in their shows circa 1983-84?
I'm glad Mike is playing some new tunes. But there's no pleasing some people. When he was doing all the old songs in his shows, people called it "a traveling jukebox". Now that he is taking a chance with some new material, people are down on that.
I'm actually MORE interested in seeing a Beach Boys show now, knowing that there will be some new music in addition to the old standards.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »

Wasn't this exact same debate already hashed out on one of the other threads?

Anyway, I've acknowledged many times that unless there are contractual restrictions on what material to play, *any* and can play *any* songs they want. As I've said many times, Mike could do a set of nothing but Abba songs if he wanted to.

But holding up Brian's *SOLO* tour, where he tours under his own name, and comparing it to Mike's *LICENSED BEACH BOYS* tour, where he's using a trademark owned by multiple parties in order to make money (paying his licensing fee in the process), is simply ridiculous.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with Mike playing his solo material in concert, it *IS* different from the pre-1998 "Beach Boys" playing solo material.

In 2017, Mike is using the *Beach Boys* trademark to help promote his solo material. While the band is splintered. While Brian and Al have been "warned" in the last few years about too strongly using "Beach Boys" wording for their tour.

Mike promoting "Unleash the Love" in 2017 during a "Beach Boys" show, after having dumped Al and Brian in 2012, while using the group-owned BB trademark for his own show to make money and promote his solo record, is NOT the same thing as the 1983 Beach Boys doing "What You Do To Me." Not only were the circumstances different in 1983 (there was no "former" BB member on the outskirts of the band kicked out; Dennis's various bootings don't count), but the *reason* for playing a Carl song in 1983 was different as well. I think it most cases the pre-1998 BBs doing solo material was more a case of placating various solo members by letting them promote their solo record for a short while. In *every* case where new solo material was performed at BB shows, the songs were not in the setlist for long.

But again, I'm well aware that Mike can perform whatever he wants in concert (either because his license allows it, or BRI ignores it if the license doesn't allow it). But it's simply ignoring the history of the group to suggest Mike doing "All the Love in Paris" at his 2017 shows is the same as doing a few "Pacific Ocean Blue" songs in 1977 for like a week or two, or letting Carl do his "Soul Train" bit for a song during the 1983 shows, etc.

Let us not forget as well that clearly Al *wanted* to do a song or two from his "Postcards" album on the 2012 BB tour, and he wasn't allowed to. I think they threw him a bone and let him sell the CD at C50 shows, but he talked about doing material from the album on the C50 tour, and as usual, Al was told to sit down and shut up.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:38:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »

intermission

encore

So was it wrong for the Beach Boys to include some of Carl's solo stuff in their shows circa 1983-84?
I'm glad Mike is playing some new tunes. But there's no pleasing some people. When he was doing all the old songs in his shows, people called it "a traveling jukebox". Now that he is taking a chance with some new material, people are down on that.
I'm actually MORE interested in seeing a Beach Boys show now, knowing that there will be some new music in addition to the old standards.

There was no license to use the name in 1983-84 (wasn't necessary until after 1998) and the decision was made by the band members (i.e. Beach Boys) to add or not add Carl's songs or anything else in the set. Now it's 100% Mike doing whatever the hell he wants and calling it "The Beach Boys" even though the songs from Mike's solo release have no connection to the Beach Boys whatsoever.

The issue is Mike taking it on himself to use the "Beach Boys" name to promote his own solo material, when fans are paying to see and hear Beach Boys music. The license carries with it responsibility and a certain degree of having to adhere to what the name carries, and at this point it feels like Mike could care less as long as he can use the name as he sees fit and to plug whatever he wants to plug.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx