gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:48:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some "signed" Brian books not actually signed  (Read 31641 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

My local Barnes & Noble says they'll have signed copies of I Am Brian Wilson available Black Friday weekend.  I'm thinking of checking it out but I'll have to look back at this thread when I see it.

This eBay seller is claiming they bought this book at Barnes & Noble:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIAN-WILSON-Barnes-Nobles-LIMITED-signed-autographed-auto-book-hardcover-/262734236039?hash=item3d2c2e4987:g:0ZQAAOSwB09YOFev

Sure looks like the autopen/facsimile signature that Premiere Collectibles were plagued with...
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »

My local Barnes & Noble says they'll have signed copies of I Am Brian Wilson available Black Friday weekend.  I'm thinking of checking it out but I'll have to look back at this thread when I see it.

This eBay seller is claiming they bought this book at Barnes & Noble:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIAN-WILSON-Barnes-Nobles-LIMITED-signed-autographed-auto-book-hardcover-/262734236039?hash=item3d2c2e4987:g:0ZQAAOSwB09YOFev

Sure looks like the autopen/facsimile signature that Premiere Collectibles were plagued with...
I'm glad I didn't bother to pick up a copy, then...
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »

How about the Black Friday signed Mike Love books? I got one but didn't think to compare it to the other signatures in the other books. Are those ones legit?
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2016, 07:27:21 PM »

How about the Black Friday signed Mike Love books? I got one but didn't think to compare it to the other signatures in the other books. Are those ones legit?

The Mike Love books purchased via Premiere Collectibles and Barnes & Noble appear to be legit.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2016, 06:18:05 PM »

Word is at least some Barnes & Noble locations did not put the Brian Wilson "signed" books out for sale because they realized they were bad, yet some clearly were sold and are now on the secondary market:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Am-Brian-Wilson-By-Brian-Wilson-SIGNED-HCDJ-2016-1st-1st-BRAND-NEW-Beach-Boys-/132018963467?hash=item1ebcf1840b:g:RsUAAOSwj85YPi6w

Any word if Brian will be signing the books at the VIP meet & greets in 2017 or will his team be handing out pre-signed books? I would personally want the peace of mind of seeing it signed in front of me, especially paying $500 per person...
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »

Another dreaded facsimile/autopen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Am-Brian-Wilson-A-Memoir-SIGNED-by-Brian-Wilson-2016-NEW-/262751930659?hash=item3d2d3c4923:g:xj0AAOSwImRYGn9j

It would be nice to get some explanation from the publisher or Brian why these were produced in the first place.

At minimum there should have been a disclaimer like Trump apparently did with his autopen hats and books:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/autographed-trump-hats-books-sold-website-signed-machine/story?id=43638238
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »

The Mike Love books purchased via Premiere Collectibles and Barnes & Noble appear to be legit.

It's just my opinion, but I really don't think there are too many fake Mike Love autographs floating around.  Mike has always been good about signing autographs.  I once personally watched him sign about a dozen albums for one guy. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »

Agreed, Mike is more accessible (out touring all year, in addition to of course book promotions this year), and his autograph is less sought-after (not a knock on him, it's just the way it is), so I would also doubt fakes are prevalent through any official or unofficial channels.

I would imagine *everybody's* autograph of note has been faked at one time or another, but I don't think Mike fakes would be practical.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »

Agreed, Mike is more accessible (out touring all year, in addition to of course book promotions this year), and his autograph is less sought-after (not a knock on him, it's just the way it is), so I would also doubt fakes are prevalent through any official or unofficial channels.

I would imagine *everybody's* autograph of note has been faked at one time or another, but I don't think Mike fakes would be practical.

You are spot on in your assessment.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »

Bumping this thread as a result of a communication today with a friend who purchased a couple of "remainder" copies of I Am Brian Wilson at a book store for $8.99 each, with a sticker on the cover which states "Signed Copy".

He sent photos of each signature and I advised him that one of the signatures was the most common example of the autopen or stamped signature that had been sold by Premiere Collectibles.

I also mentioned that I had noticed that this autopen or stamped signature, which was frequently found in the batch sold by Premiere Collectibles, (and is still among the autographed copies being sold on eBay), is totally identical to the BW signature on the home page of BrianWilson.com.

As has been done in this thread, we discussed the three possible sources of the autopen or stamped signatures:

• Premiere Collectibles - Unlikely, as providing fake signatures would be an incredibly dumb business move for them.

• The publisher, who acted as a middleman in the transaction - Quite possible, as they asked BW's camp for the sigs, and may have decided they needed more.

• Someone in BW's camp - Another possibility, if the publisher and/or Premiere said they wanted more signed inserts. (We know that Ray Lawler said that Brian signed over 500 inserts over two days, adding, "Brian bitched about it, but did it.")

My friend later called and told me the source of the autopen or stamped signatures most likely came from BW's camp. Why? Because the fake signature in the books sold by Premiere Collectibles is identical to the signature on the BW.com home page. If someone at BW's camp was not involved, then we must assume that whomever else was responsible just happened to pick a BW autograph to reproduce that was identical to the "official" one on BW.com, and we all know that for many years now Brian's signatures tend to be uniquely identifiable from sample to sample.

I then contacted my friend and advised him that it's also possible that whomever was responsible simply lifted Brian's autograph from his homepage and reproduced it for the autopen or stamped versions.

We'll probably never know the full story, and my friend tells me there is yet another "version 2" autopen or stamped signature found in copies of I Am Brian Wilson.

Along those lines, the paperback version of I Am BW was released a couple of days ago. Brian will be doing a book signing at Book Soup on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood on Tues. Oct. 18, and Barnes & Nobles at The Grove in Los Angeles  on Wed. Oct 19th.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:31 PM »

Custom Machine, per your request in private messages, I have attached the autopen/pre-printed signature that flooded the market when Brian's book first came out. In my opinion, Brian's camp, the publisher and Premiere Collectibles handled the situation very poorly. We still haven't received a proper answer to how/why this happened. Here are two current eBay auctions with the autopen signature:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-AM-BRIAN-WILSON-by-Brian-Wilson-NEW-SIGHED-1ST-1ST-FINE-UNREAD-Hardcover-/292289553062?hash=item440dd0a2a6:g:sqUAAOSw-K9ZIiwI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIAN-WILSON-SIGNED-I-AM-BRIAN-WILSON-First-Hardcover-Edition-NEW-BEACH-BOYS-/112592317019?epid=219230954&hash=item1a37066a5b:g:h24AAOSwvkVZmZx5
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »

I put this misrepresentation above Mikes use of ‘The Beach Boys’ logo. Poor form whoever is behind it and that in the interests of consistency, proof that any party can make some bad business decisions.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »

I put this misrepresentation above Mikes use of ‘The Beach Boys’ logo. Poor form whoever is behind it and that in the interests of consistency, proof that any party can make some bad business decisions.

I think autopen signatures floating around the secondary/remainder market isn't comparably in any way to Mike's use of the BB name. One issue is a very specific, consumer-oriented issue impacting specific individual fans. The other is a much more broad issue impacting the band's legacy. Both troubling in their own ways, but I don't see a need to compare the two.

I also don't think, given the info hashed out last year in this thread, that it should be surprising that bad copies have floated into the clearance/remaindered supply.

As I probably mentioned in the thread last year, while an autopen signature is troubling (moreso for people than paid a premium than people who are buying remainder copies for cheaper than the list price), there are *numerous* ways to mitigate or rectify an individual purchase situation on a case-by-case basis.

A store probably would (and certainly should) take back a "signed" copy of a book if you prove it's not real. Similarly, any eBay seller should (and PayPal and eBay probably *would* force them to) refund you if you buy a book that you discover has a bad signature. I dunno, sometimes clearance sales are an "all sales are final" situation, but then again if you're paying $8.99 then you're already getting a good deal. I paid more for my stock copy from Amazon last year.

(As an aside, I can't imagine anybody already familiar with the autopen issue would stumble into a book store and expect an $8.99 remaindered copy of the book to *not* be one of the fakes.)

I'm also pretty sure the actual publisher and vendor the signed copies offered either replacements or refunds last year, right?

So on the consumer level, this thing has been and continues to be potentially rectified. All that leaves is the question of how it happened, and it's painfully obvious after all this time that *those* answers are not forthcoming.

The ire regarding $8.99 remaindered copies being put onto the market with bad signatures should be targeted at the publisher/distributor at this stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »

I've seen some in bookstores that have a sticker that says 'Autopen Signed Copy'
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »

I think autopen signatures floating around the secondary/remainder market isn't comparably in any way to Mike's use of the BB name. One issue is a very specific, consumer-oriented issue impacting specific individual fans. The other is a much more broad issue impacting the band's legacy. Both troubling in their own ways, but I don't see a need to compare the two.

I also don't think, given the info hashed out last year in this thread, that it should be surprising that bad copies have floated into the clearance/remaindered supply.

As I probably mentioned in the thread last year, while an autopen signature is troubling (moreso for people than paid a premium than people who are buying remainder copies for cheaper than the list price), there are *numerous* ways to mitigate or rectify an individual purchase situation on a case-by-case basis.

A store probably would (and certainly should) take back a "signed" copy of a book if you prove it's not real. Similarly, any eBay seller should (and PayPal and eBay probably *would* force them to) refund you if you buy a book that you discover has a bad signature. I dunno, sometimes clearance sales are an "all sales are final" situation, but then again if you're paying $8.99 then you're already getting a good deal. I paid more for my stock copy from Amazon last year.

(As an aside, I can't imagine anybody already familiar with the autopen issue would stumble into a book store and expect an $8.99 remaindered copy of the book to *not* be one of the fakes.)

I'm also pretty sure the actual publisher and vendor the signed copies offered either replacements or refunds last year, right?

So on the consumer level, this thing has been and continues to be potentially rectified. All that leaves is the question of how it happened, and it's painfully obvious after all this time that *those* answers are not forthcoming.

The ire regarding $8.99 remaindered copies being put onto the market with bad signatures should be targeted at the publisher/distributor at this stage.

We can agree to disagree. I actually wonder if the logo will now be on the actual release next month. Possibly an over enthusiastic marketing person. The same type who frequently shows pictures of the C50 lineup when promoting the M&B shows.
The book signature still smacks of deception to me. As mentioned, Brian signed 500 complaining the whole time. Someone got greedy and sold more plain and simple. Personally I would pay more for Dave’s book with an actual signature rather than Brian’s with auto pen. If Brian ever signed WIBN, more again.
My comparison between Mike and Brian was more the fact that various boards are accused of being supportive of one or the other. That may be the case however I want to point out that both camps have made some bad business decisions, as well as good. I’m going to call them as I see them,who ever it is.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:15:55 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »

Guys, I'm happy to sign any copy of any book (including the Bible).

I accept cheques, postal orders and lunch money.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx