gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:00:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161316 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:48 PM »

Very cool! Brian sounds uncertain at times, but it's just the debut. There's time for comfort to come. Matt NAILS it!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Anyone going to the FRankfurt show on July 19th? 3D
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2017, 03:26:37 AM »

I am. After much procrastination and checking out flight options for nearly every other date I finally booked it on Sunday.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:27:07 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 11, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

I am. After much procrastination and checking out flight options for nearly every other date I finally booked it on Sunday.
Cool. Where are you from? Maybe we'll have time for a beer (or two) before/after the show.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 13, 2017, 03:41:32 AM »

Today in Finland, Pori Jazz Festival. Anyone from this board attending? I'll be there/here.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 15, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »

Well, I was in Pori, and I loved every minute of. Especially the minutes when Brian performed. It was cold and raining most of the time, but as Brian said, "a little downpour won't hurt ya" (or something like that).

They played one 1,5 hour long set, first deepish cuts, then PS and finishing with some sweet rockin' hits. On a positive note, the band was MUCH more together than the last time I saw Brian (London, May 2016). I mean, playing and singing were out of this world. Al was amazing, Darian did great on Darlin', you know the score... Some people were a bit baffled by Blondie's contributions, like "who is this guy and what is he doing to these songs". Personally, I found his slot refreshing. His guitar playing injected a hefty dose of avant garde noise shredding to Wild Honey, I'd say it was the closest to Captain Beefheart I've heard in any Beach Boys related concert. Blondie's a great guy, not out to please but to kick ass and terrorize bourgeoisie!

As for Brian himself, he was more into it and engaged than I've ever seen him. I especially loved his introduction to Pet Sounds title track: "On the guitar, Nicky Wonder... On the drums... The drums are GREAT!" But I have to admit, his singing has gone downhill quite a bit. When he sang harmony he was spot on, but when he took leads, his phrasing was rather breathless and gruff, long notes cut short and rhytmically all over the place... But then again, it was a jazz festival, and in a way he just jazzified it. It made singing along quite difficult, with rhytmic curveballs coming all the time. I didn't mind, though!

And hey: you COULD hear Brian's piano and Al's guitar loud and clear, and they both really know what they're doing. Especially Al... What a rhytm guitarist! He was perfectly in the pocket all the time, and he really added to the sound. My hero.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »

"On the guitar, Nicky Wonder... On the drums... The drums are GREAT!"

LOL gotta love it! Thanks for taking the time to review the show.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 15, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »

"On the guitar, Nicky Wonder... On the drums... The drums are GREAT!"

LOL gotta love it! Thanks for taking the time to review the show.

Thx so much for the review.  I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in Brian and band.  It's genius with the best artists delivering. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 15, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »

Thanks for the report, Jukka! Cheesy
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 16, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »

God Only Knows from last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM60Mq7jaU
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 16, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

Blondie's a great guy, not out to please but to kick ass and terrorize bourgeoisie!

Jukka, that's a wonderful phrase.

I saw the soundcheck for one of the shows a month or so ago, and Blondie was incredible. He sang both Long Promised Road and Feel Flows, and the performances were sensitive and beautiful. So glad I got to witness that.

When they performed the actual show Blondie went a bit too crazy for me personally, but I fully stand behind Jukka's assessment.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 16, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »

I can't make up my mind whether I'm ok with Brian's recent interpretations of singing some songs or I hate it. At points it works, at other points it doesn't sound great.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »

Blondie's a great guy, not out to please but to kick ass and terrorize bourgeoisie!

I hear some complaints about him but he was well received down here in New Orleans. He got a standing O after Wild Honey.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 16, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »

I don't know how anyone could not like Blondie...I wish he was in the show MORE!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »

I don't know how anyone could not like Blondie...I wish he was in the show MORE!

I like me some Blondie, but glad he is 'Not' in more of the show.
He just comes across like a dancing orang-utan for me, which is somewhat
quite the opposite of Brian.  Guess that's probably the point of his prescience.
 Roll Eyes
KDS
« Reply #490 on: July 17, 2017, 04:03:20 AM »

Same here.  He adds a nice element of rock and roll and showmanship.  I'd love to see them do more songs from Blondie's era.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: July 17, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »

I think one either "gets" Blondie and what he brings to the show, or doesn't. I don't think even those who want more Blondie are suggesting Blondie should start shredding a guitar solo in the middle of "Please Let Me Wonder."

Much as a BB shows jumped around and shifted gears in the past, the Blondie songs are a change of pace, and they're still doing Brian-penned Beach Boys songs. A couple more Blondie songs would be nice.

I do think there's some room to work Blondie into Brian's set more; I'd still love to hear him sing the bridge on "Surfer Girl" as he did on a few shows last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #492 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »

I think one either "gets" Blondie and what he brings to the show, or doesn't. I don't think even those who want more Blondie are suggesting Blondie should start shredding a guitar solo in the middle of "Please Let Me Wonder."

Much as a BB shows jumped around and shifted gears in the past, the Blondie songs are a change of pace, and they're still doing Brian-penned Beach Boys songs. A couple more Blondie songs would be nice.

I do think there's some room to work Blondie into Brian's set more; I'd still love to hear him sing the bridge on "Surfer Girl" as he did on a few shows last year.

Hearing Blondie play the solo, and perhaps sing lead, on Steamboat in concert would be really cool. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: July 17, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »

Well, I was in Pori, and I loved every minute of. Especially the minutes when Brian performed. It was cold and raining most of the time, but as Brian said, "a little downpour won't hurt ya" (or something like that).

They played one 1,5 hour long set, first deepish cuts, then PS and finishing with some sweet rockin' hits. On a positive note, the band was MUCH more together than the last time I saw Brian (London, May 2016). I mean, playing and singing were out of this world. Al was amazing, Darian did great on Darlin', you know the score... Some people were a bit baffled by Blondie's contributions, like "who is this guy and what is he doing to these songs". Personally, I found his slot refreshing. His guitar playing injected a hefty dose of avant garde noise shredding to Wild Honey, I'd say it was the closest to Captain Beefheart I've heard in any Beach Boys related concert. Blondie's a great guy, not out to please but to kick ass and terrorize bourgeoisie!

As for Brian himself, he was more into it and engaged than I've ever seen him. I especially loved his introduction to Pet Sounds title track: "On the guitar, Nicky Wonder... On the drums... The drums are GREAT!" But I have to admit, his singing has gone downhill quite a bit. When he sang harmony he was spot on, but when he took leads, his phrasing was rather breathless and gruff, long notes cut short and rhytmically all over the place... But then again, it was a jazz festival, and in a way he just jazzified it. It made singing along quite difficult, with rhytmic curveballs coming all the time. I didn't mind, though!

And hey: you COULD hear Brian's piano and Al's guitar loud and clear, and they both really know what they're doing. Especially Al... What a rhytm guitarist! He was perfectly in the pocket all the time, and he really added to the sound. My hero.

Thanks for that review! Sounds like a great experience and a great show...  Smiley

This being a jazz festival, at heart: The foundation of jazz is improvisation on existing structures and themes, and stretching phrases and rhythms in the moment...so as a jazz musician I found your take on this specific performance element and your observations to be very, very keen and enjoyable to hear and consider!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »

I don't think even those who want more Blondie are suggesting Blondie should start shredding a guitar solo in the middle of "Please Let Me Wonder."

Exactly. I feel like he's got a great voice that could be utilized without taking away from the original intent of whatever song(s) he performs on. It's like 'Wild Honey' was perfect for the guy, he made it his own but the spirit of Carl is still there. There are plenty of other songs in the catalogue just like that for him.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »

I'll attend Brian's gigs at 9/22 (Boston) and 9/23 (NYC). My question (this will be my fist time ever on the US): does the show start on time as the ticket says? I mean, Boston is scheduled to start at 7.30. Or is that the time doors open? Because I wanna know if I'll be able to catch the bus back to New York at 10 PM (the station is 15 blocks away from the theatre) Thanks.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »

You will be cutting it REALLY close. Brian is typically right on time or at most five minutes late, in my experience. But the whole show, with intermission, runs just about two hours.
KDS
« Reply #497 on: July 17, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »

I'll attend Brian's gigs at 9/22 (Boston) and 9/23 (NYC). My question (this will be my fist time ever on the US): does the show start on time as the ticket says? I mean, Boston is scheduled to start at 7.30. Or is that the time doors open? Because I wanna know if I'll be able to catch the bus back to New York at 10 PM (the station is 15 blocks away from the theatre) Thanks.

The time on the ticket is showtime
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:14 AM »

Ah, well, maybe it's wiser to wait for the next bus. Thanks.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 18, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »

You will be cutting it REALLY close. Brian is typically right on time or at most five minutes late, in my experience. But the whole show, with intermission, runs just about two hours.

Brian is very punctual and wastes no time starting the show.  If the ticket says 8:00, Brian is walking out onto the stage at 8:00.  He waves, says hello to the City he's in, tells everyone to sit down at 8:00:30, and music begins at 8:01.  This was my experience in New Orleans.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx