gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:52:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161358 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

Were they very strict about no signing? Almost unbelievable that you can't even get one thing signed for $500...
At least at the show I was at, there was no way you would be able to get anything signed via the meet and greet. The woman who manages the whole VIP thing is right in front of you taking pictures, and she said multiple times there won't be any signing. I wish they stuck to the two personal items thing that they used the last leg of the tour.
That's a real bummer. I've often advocated that the $500 price tag for these meet & greets were reasonable due to the value of the ticket and the value of the items you could get signed. Not anymore. I assume the book was pre-signed? Any chance we could see a photo? After the debacle with Premiere Collectibles, I would be hesitant of anything "signed" by Brian that I didn't personally witness...
https://ibb.co/fHPirF < There's a picture of the book I got with the package. Yes it was pre-signed, so I'm not going to trust that it's authentic. I honestly didn't think it was even close to being worth it. The meet and greet felt like people said it was during C50, enough time for a quick handshake and picture before you got rushed out. The whole thing was finished in 10 minutes, so it's not like they had to stop doing signing due to time.
Interesting that they had him sign with a silver sharpie. I've been critical in the past with the legitimacy of autographs coming from Team Wilson, but this looks legit to me.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:02 PM »

Al just needs more leads in Brian's band, not a career reinventing at this point. Unless he prefers not to have them, which is his choice and that's fine.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »

At intermission now in New Orleans. Same set list so far as Orlando, except Al singing Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe before Little Honda.

Brian looks very happy and is in good voice. Super show so far.   Smiley

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »

Awesome!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »

Good that Al is getting more leads at the New Orleans show. Hopefully it stays that way for the dates coming up.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »

At intermission now in New Orleans. Same set list so far as Orlando, except Al singing Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe before Little Honda.

Great news!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »

Now if he could get leads on songs that are ya know...actually interesting and impressive to see a band of this degree doing...that would be great too!!
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »

I thought Wake The World fit nicely in the set list, hopefully that or a song like it for Al will show up soon also
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2017, 06:15:13 AM »

I get the sense those two car songs, usually with Al singing the lead, are part of the "regular" setlist and for some reason the first two shows on the tour were shortened. The New Orleans setlist gets us closer to the standard setlist length from last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »

Was at the show last night.  Had a great time.  Here are my thoughts.

Feel Flows and The Night Was So Young were my favorites.  Blondie does an exceptional job on feel flows.  Brian on The Night Was So Young was unbelievable.  He even hit the higher Carl parts on why did you have to lie yay yay parts.  I couldn't believe it was even him at first.

Everything up until You still believe in me was stellar.  Top Notch really!  California Saga also really stood out.

Now the bad part.  Brian really struggled to get through Pet Sounds.  He sounded great before and after Pet Sounds, but beginning with YSBIM he was short of breath really bad and a lot of trouble even getting a word out.  He did do a nice job on GOK though.  He also did awesome on Good Vibrations and Surfin USA as well.  So it was weird that he could barely even say a word during the PS set.

All in all it was a great show and the crowd really enjoyed it.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2017, 07:06:20 AM »

Set List for New Orleans, 29 Mar 2017:

California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Row row row your boat
Do It Again
Surfer Girl
The Night Was So Young
California Saga
Don't Worry Baby
Let Him Run Wild
Feel Flows
Wild Honey
Sail on, Sailor

INTERMISSION

Pet Sounds album

Encore:
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love and Mercy

Notes:
It was a great night at the old Saenger Theater. The crowd, mostly college aged to 30s, really got into it and the band fed off that enthusiasm.
Brian did the girls yell/boys yell twice - once at very beginning then again later. He looked to be very happy.
There were lots of standing ovations, including after Wild Honey. I know that some of you don't care for this song in the show but the crowd here loved it.

Pet Sounds sounded pretty good.
Although not anywhere near my favorite on the album, Sloop John B  was a highlight, with Al and Brian doing well.
Heard an alternate lyric for GOK: "You never need to doubt it / I'll make you d--- sure about it". Thought that was funny for a song called God Only Knows!
As IKTAA  ended, Brian sang "Woooooo ooo  ooo" a couple of times.

The band intros ended up being a highlight. I've never seen it done so brilliantly. As each band member was introduced a bit of song would be played, long enough for the member to sometimes join in for a few notes. From Nicky Wonder's "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" to Billy Hinsche's "I'm a Fool" to Blondie's "Thank you (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) which he sang the chorus, it just confirms how incredible this band is and how blessed Brian is to have them backing him up. He acknowledged them as numerous times he shouted, "Isn't this band great?!"

At the end, a kid (maybe 20 years old) came up to me and said, "How did you like it?" He was so enthusiastic. Yes, I Loved it.

I got a bit spoiled last year seeing Brian so many times. Looks like this will be the only time seeing him this year, so I treasured every moment.
Bless you, Brian!

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »

Brian on The Night Was So Young was unbelievable.  He even hit the higher Carl parts on why did you have to lie yay yay parts.  I couldn't believe it was even him at first.
That's so great! Can't wait to hear this.

Thanks for the reviews, guys!

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »

You know it's a good night when Brian starts cursing!  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »

Lolz yes! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »

Was at the show last night.  Had a great time.  Here are my thoughts.

Feel Flows and The Night Was So Young were my favorites.  Blondie does an exceptional job on feel flows.  Brian on The Night Was So Young was unbelievable.  He even hit the higher Carl parts on why did you have to lie yay yay parts.  I couldn't believe it was even him at first.

Everything up until You still believe in me was stellar.  Top Notch really!  California Saga also really stood out.

Now the bad part.  Brian really struggled to get through Pet Sounds.  He sounded great before and after Pet Sounds, but beginning with YSBIM he was short of breath really bad and a lot of trouble even getting a word out.  He did do a nice job on GOK though.  He also did awesome on Good Vibrations and Surfin USA as well.  So it was weird that he could barely even say a word during the PS set.

All in all it was a great show and the crowd really enjoyed it.

I was there last night as well, and I agree with everything you have said.  Let my add my exuberance in hearing "Let Him Run Wild"- one my absolute favorites.

I had no idea that Matt carried the show to that extent, but I certainly enjoyed his vocals.  15 years ago, Brian toured Pet Sounds and handled all of the leads himself.  It is clear that Brian is slowing down and is now "speaking" his assigned vocals to a much greater extent.  That's OK, and I definitely appreciate that we were in same room as the wonderful Brian Wilson.  I am beyond grateful that he came to my City. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »

Did you get to record a video for The Night Was So Young?Huh??
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7HaH00KQrs someone just posted the rehearsal of "the night was so young"
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2017, 06:37:20 PM »

When I saw the tour last Fall, Brian had a lot of trouble with YSBIM. That would be a great one for Al and Matt to do together to give Brian a break and one that Al sang a lot over the years.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »

Shocked wow!!! a full concert doing these songs pwweeeeaaassseeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »

And here's from the actual show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1wJCm1fhw

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7HaH00KQrs someone just posted the rehearsal of "the night was so young"

I had taped it but this is much better quality.
I also taped Let Him Run Wild, although right before the song started the guy next to me decided he needed to leave so in that jostling I missed the first few seconds. Might post it if it doesn't turn up on YouTube. Matt did a fine job with it.
Finally, managed to tape Feel Flows but after 20 seconds or so it suddenly gets real sloooow. Must have inadventantly pushed a button. Guess that can't be fixed? Oh well, Blondie sounded great.**

**Update: this technologically challenged old lady somehow figured out how to fix it so Feels Flows is at the proper speed throughout.
If I do post these on you tube it will be for a short time to give you all an opportunity to hear them. When I recorded them I didn't use close ups so you don't see the band too well so they are not really of a quality to stay up.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:59:27 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »

Does anyone here who did a meet and greet this year have a photo of the signed book they gave out?

Want to make sure they aren't passing out auto-pen books like some of us dealt with last fall.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 31, 2017, 03:10:30 AM »

And here's from the actual show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1wJCm1fhw

So great at the end when he smiles! "was that a nice song?" he asks the crowd, obviously very nervous about public approval  Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:12:24 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 31, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »

Were they very strict about no signing? Almost unbelievable that you can't even get one thing signed for $500...
At least at the show I was at, there was no way you would be able to get anything signed via the meet and greet. The woman who manages the whole VIP thing is right in front of you taking pictures, and she said multiple times there won't be any signing. I wish they stuck to the two personal items thing that they used the last leg of the tour.
That's a real bummer. I've often advocated that the $500 price tag for these meet & greets were reasonable due to the value of the ticket and the value of the items you could get signed. Not anymore. I assume the book was pre-signed? Any chance we could see a photo? After the debacle with Premiere Collectibles, I would be hesitant of anything "signed" by Brian that I didn't personally witness...
https://ibb.co/fHPirF < There's a picture of the book I got with the package. Yes it was pre-signed, so I'm not going to trust that it's authentic. I honestly didn't think it was even close to being worth it. The meet and greet felt like people said it was during C50, enough time for a quick handshake and picture before you got rushed out. The whole thing was finished in 10 minutes, so it's not like they had to stop doing signing due to time.
There's a picture of it if you follow the link above. Definitely physically signed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:02:42 AM by bummerinparadise » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 31, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »

Thanks so much everybody for the reviews and videos. You are great!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:49:01 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx