gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
614411 Posts in 24791 Topics by 3521 Members - Latest Member: MaestroDavros August 18, 2017, 08:23:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 42694 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »

The beginning is cut off, but here's Let the Wind Blow and I'd Love Just Once to See You from London:

https://youtu.be/-knW_cRwxjg

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 04, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »

Ha. Brian bailed on the '....in the nude' ending.  LOL
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:36:55 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 04, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »

It would be hilarious if he kept it. If it's part of the song leave it in!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: August 05, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »

Hard to tell, but it looks like some of the guys in the band are cracking up a bit when Brian bails on the last line.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 05, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »

I was a bit surprised that he bailed on that line, but I do like that final bit of harmony they added at the very end. Thanks for posting the link.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 05, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »

Let The Wind Blow soundcheck - 30 secs, without Brian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZRUkU0fGOk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:33:17 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 07, 2017, 02:40:54 AM »

I was at the Glastonbury Abbey show on Saturday (Festival set with Pet Sounds in the middle, the only 'deep cut' was Wild Honey).  I hadn't seen Brian live since the 2012 reunion and although I know Brian's advancing in years and he's never been the most animated of live performers; I was shocked at how detached and frail he appeared, as has been documented on this board Brian seems to be wilfully ...'sabotaging' is too strong a word ...'reinterpreting' his vocals on the Pet Sounds tracks; it is noticeably these songs only, I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun etc. are delivered as they always have been. 
The band however were amazing as per usual, Al was on fine form, Matt was amazing and Blondie owned the stage for WH and SOS.  But as for the man who's name was on the poster; there was a hell of a lot of love in the room (er...field) for him but I honestly can't see him doing this for much longer.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 07, 2017, 02:47:20 AM »

I was at the Glastonbury Abbey show on Saturday (Festival set with Pet Sounds in the middle, the only 'deep cut' was Wild Honey).  I hadn't seen Brian live since the 2012 reunion and although I know Brian's advancing in years and he's never been the most animated of live performers; I was shocked at how detached and frail he appeared, as has been documented on this board Brian seems to be wilfully ...'sabotaging' is too strong a word ...'reinterpreting' his vocals on the Pet Sounds tracks; it is noticeably these songs only, I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun etc. are delivered as they always have been. 
The band however were amazing as per usual, Al was on fine form, Matt was amazing and Blondie owned the stage for WH and SOS.  But as for the man who's name was on the poster; there was a hell of a lot of love in the room (er...field) for him but I honestly can't see him doing this for much longer.

Here's another report on Glasto from my other board. It echoes much of what you say:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/beachboysforum/r-brian-wilson-at-glastonbury-abbey-extravaganza-5-t1257.html#p31824

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: August 08, 2017, 08:47:32 AM »

Pretty much every report I've seen (and my own experience as well on this tour) is that Brian seems much more into the first set of songs. For instance, he sounds great on "I'd Love Just Once to See You" on that YouTube video; he sounds engaged and like he's digging singing it.

So for shows like Glastonbury and other "festival" shows where they severely shorten the first set, the audience gets less of the set that Brian's way more into.

I think they could continue doing some live shows (probably not 100 per year like last year), and if they stop doing full albums, I think Brian will actually be *more* into the show.

I think they're striking the best balance they can. Brian seems less interested in the PS tracks, but if they hand over like *all* of the leads to other band members, it might stretch the definition of "Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds." As it is, they have Matt doing hunks of several songs and now Al apparently is singing most of "Here Today."

But yeah, I think they need to wrap this tour up, put a nicely-mixed Blu-ray out of the tour (and I frankly don't care if they just have Brian re-cut his leads in the studio if they need to), and then move on to something else.

I assume the three May shows booked for next year are *not* PS shows.

KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 08, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

Pretty much every report I've seen (and my own experience as well on this tour) is that Brian seems much more into the first set of songs. For instance, he sounds great on "I'd Love Just Once to See You" on that YouTube video; he sounds engaged and like he's digging singing it.

So for shows like Glastonbury and other "festival" shows where they severely shorten the first set, the audience gets less of the set that Brian's way more into.

I think they could continue doing some live shows (probably not 100 per year like last year), and if they stop doing full albums, I think Brian will actually be *more* into the show.

I think they're striking the best balance they can. Brian seems less interested in the PS tracks, but if they hand over like *all* of the leads to other band members, it might stretch the definition of "Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds." As it is, they have Matt doing hunks of several songs and now Al apparently is singing most of "Here Today."

But yeah, I think they need to wrap this tour up, put a nicely-mixed Blu-ray out of the tour (and I frankly don't care if they just have Brian re-cut his leads in the studio if they need to), and then move on to something else.

I assume the three May shows booked for next year are *not* PS shows.

Wasn't one of the shows last September filmed?  Too bad it wasn't the one I attended in Bethesda.  That was an amazing concert.

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 08, 2017, 02:09:30 PM »

Al and Probyn meeting fans after a gag. Al briefly mentions he wanted to do more "Love You" songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2imK2elVfs

Brian and Blondie back in LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiUXyh4kNSc

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:37 PM »

Al and Probyn meeting fans after a gag. Al briefly mentions he wanted to do more "Love You" songs

That was a LOT of people waiting after the show!!! When I met Al after the Montgomery College concert, I had to walk with him from the door to the bus to get my photo signed because he was in such a hurry...he signed my photo by balancing it upon his carry-out container he was holding!  LOL  Nice as could be, but he definitely did not have mingling time like he did here.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 09, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »

That was a LOT of people waiting after the show!!! When I met Al after the Montgomery College concert, I had to walk with him from the door to the bus to get my photo signed because he was in such a hurry...he signed my photo by balancing it upon his carry-out container he was holding!  LOL  Nice as could be, but he definitely did not have mingling time like he did here.

My father was probably right there with you.  He went to his car to get a pen, and happened to see Al getting on the bus and got his signature on the playbill they handed out.   I think my wife and I were talking to Probyn Gregory at the time.   I saw Al walk out with his take out food, and just waved and yelled "great show."   I did get to meet and get a picture with Blondie though. 

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:45 AM »

Here's a belated review of Brian in Glasgow last week.  Great atmosphere and it stayed dry! I was about 8 rows back in line with Brian.

In terms of performance much of it has been said previously in this thread.  Brian's vocals are still strong on the non Pet Sounds stuff.  Surfer Girl, In My Room etc were fabulous.  He sounded good on the Wild Honey stuff (a real highlight getting to hear those songs in the set.  More please!).  Don't Worry Baby was sensational.  Matt was still 'whiny' during some of his leads but he really nailed this one and Let Him Run Wild, in fact everything he sang, he did well.  The crowd loved him. He is very humble and a great guy to have up there.  Feel Flows was a pleasure to hear and Blondie put his own spin on it (I love his sung intro!). 

Pet Sounds was better than last year.  The band and the mix were better.  It's great having Darian back in there as I feel it brings the whole unit together.  Brian spoke his way through some of the songs, making up lyrics on the spot.  The funniest was during "Love and Mercy" as Brian sang, "A lot of people out there hurting scares, scare, scares me scares me"  A few of us thought he was going to sing "..scares the sh*t outta me".  I've said before that it's not my thing.  But last night I had a thought.  When I saw The Pet Sounds Tour in 2002 it was very referential from the audience.  They listened intently and it was very serious.  Nowadays people bounce along to WIBN like they do with Rhonda.  They jump around to songs like Here Today and do the singing on God Only Knows.  It's very much audience participation.  It works.  Maybe that has been Brian's intention. Maybe he was bored and uncomfortable with being the centre of attention on the album and tried to bring it back down to earth a bit.  He didn't appear 'bored' when they were doing it.  Quite the opposite, including when he was yelling some of the vocals he was making up!  I thought he was going to say 'sh**t' at one point!  And the crowd were feeding off it big time. 

The rest of the show was mostly Al singing the hits (Do It Again, Heroes didn't get sung).  And it was a very lively end to the show.

The support act, Beat Root Revival, were really good and worth watching.

Once again I'm so glad I went to the show and saw the great Brian Wilson and friends. If you get the chance to go don't be put off by some of the reviews.  It was still well worth the money.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx