-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 173069 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 25, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »

D. Wade buyout imminent. I can't help but notice he left Miami over money, yet is giving up 8-10M. Oops.

It's a shame for the fans how much the front office bungled the past year or two, resulting in the need to take solace in two role players and a 2nd rounder for Melo. But when everyone knows you're desperate, you have no leverage.

It is a shame, but I'm relieved it's over. For the reason you point out, I was afraid the deal would be worse or that it would linger into the season or that the Knicks would attempt to bring Melo back into the fold. Here's to hoping the Knicks can actually commit to a rebuild for a reasonable length of time.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 28, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »

A few changes...

-NBA can fine teams for resting healthy players
-Draft odds have been flattened out (starting in 2019)

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/28/changes-lottery-resting-players

Silver also reiterated that he expects players to stand respectfully for the national anthem.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 28, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »

I like the lottery reform, though I'd have preferred the "wheel" idea that was proposed a couple years ago. It basically removed all incentive over time, so that all teams had the same odds in a lengthy cycle at top picks.

The resting, I'm not so sure of.

The anthem stuff, frankly I have no dog in the fight. My opinions are against almost everyone who has said anything on the topic. I'm on an island. So whatever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 28, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »

It’s the end of an era for the sixers...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 28, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »

Yeah. I'm guessing fans are cool with that era ending. (I'm so, so interested in this 76ers team.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 28, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »

Will they call this the “hinke rule”?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 28, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »

I like the lottery reform, though I'd have preferred the "wheel" idea that was proposed a couple years ago. It basically removed all incentive over time, so that all teams had the same odds in a lengthy cycle at top picks.

The resting, I'm not so sure of.

The anthem stuff, frankly I have no dog in the fight. My opinions are against almost everyone who has said anything on the topic. I'm on an island. So whatever.

Hmm, I need to check out the "wheel" idea. I noticed someone reference it while I was reading about the new changes, I must have missed it (or forgotten).

I agree about the resting, though I guess it couldn't hurt. I suppose it will deter teams just enough to avoid some of the bad press.

In regard to the anthem, I can understand that. Still, I'm interested to see what happens.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »

I'm REALLY interested in what happens with te NCAA situation.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 28, 2017, 06:23:44 PM »

Rick Petino needs Al Pacino to play him in a movie. After the one about joe paterno.... Afro

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 28, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »

Not much sympathy coming Pitino's way these days.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 28, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »

A cat only has nine lives...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »

Cavs are the over the hill gang with wade....

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 29, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »

Did they waive anyone yet to make room for Wade? They already had too many players under contract and were likely to waive Edy Tavares and Kay Felder. Now I'd guess somebody else has to go. Richard Jefferson?

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 01, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »

Jacorey williams who CAVS signed less than a week ago.
Over the hill gangs right barring injuries ginna be an interesting season to say the least, got a great laugh watching the browns get booed off the field by clevelanders who finally realizing the drain they are to cuyahoga county

Now that the rollercoaster free agency summer is over, I cant wait for the season to start and good luck GSW they really got their work cut out for them.

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 03, 2017, 04:36:07 AM »

After Williams they still have 16 fully guaranteed contracts, so someone else still has to go.

I’m guessing Jefferson.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 03, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »

All-Star game update: No more East vs West. Two captains will pick teams and they will play for charity.

No need to underscore the talent imbalance between the conferences, I suppose.  Grin

I'd love it if this ultimately led to a playoff change as well. Trial run?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:20:19 PM by B.E. » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 03, 2017, 01:30:27 PM »

Nice change. Not only to abolish the conference differential, but hopefully (by picking players and playing for charities) picking up the level of play somewhat. I get that nobody is going to go all-out during an exhibition in the middle of the regular season and risk injury, but it has truly turned into a joke in the past 10-15 years. At least back in the 80s it was accepted that you'd come out flashy for the fans, but once you got deeper into the game, the players were trying to win. Sometimes they even played--GASP!--defense!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 03, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »

Cap got Wolves season tickets? https://www.ebay.com/i/122724778379

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 03, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »

Never. I enjoy the occasional game but for the most part I'd rather watch sports in relative peace and quiet.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »

Gotcha, the game experience has gotten out of hand these days...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 03, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »

I'm mostly not a "be a part of the crowd" kind of guy to begin with. (Shocking, I know.) But yeah, the increasing emphasis on so-called entertainment really takes away from the basketball from my perspective. The best basketball I've ever watched from a pure watching experience perspective is probably summer league at Target Center back when they hosted a small contingent of franchises (late 00s?). I remember sitting front row back when the Knicks had rookies David Lee and Nate Robinson, and Ron Artest was, I think, coming back from his suspension and playing summer league, obviously dominating everyone. You could hear everything every coach said, and 2/3 of what players said. Barely any fans. A good time!

Actually there was one unbelievable moment in one of those summer games. I recall Nate Robinson dunking over about 4-5 people--I mean that literally, he rose up over these people, literally atop them--and dunked. David Lee went nuts, walking along the first row talking to people (including me and a friend). "Did you see that? I've never seen anything like that in my life," he kept saying. It was a pretty spectacular dunk!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 03, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »

Oh wow, what a blast to watch NBA basketball in that atmosphere! You saw Nate Robinson fly! Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 03, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »

I've actually increasingly watched basketball from a distance. Throughout college and post-college, I did enough actual covering of teams that I saw most basketball close-up, with access to players, coaches, etc. As time has gone on, I've become more of a normal fan.

Well, normal is a relative term... But anyway, point being, I like watching basketball from a purely basketball perspective. The "fan experience," as marketing professionals (of which sadly I now am one) would pummel you with, is annoying and irrelevant. Watching basketball is at its best when it's just watching basketball.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 06, 2017, 08:31:37 AM »

I watched hockey from a distance at my house last night and drank too much. Beer

Bring on the Wizards on local TV!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 06, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »

Yeah I heard hockey was starting up last night. Or tonight. Whatever. Somehow despite being in what is most likely the best hockey state in the country, I mostly manage to ignore it entirely.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: