-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NBA 2017 Topic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NBA 2017 Topic  (Read 172934 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »

Give Seattle back their team WITH Their FULL History so OKC can make their own legacy

East give a team to any city that doesnt have a professional team from 'the big 4'
St. Louis is the biggest population metro area that is in the eastern half of the USA without an NBA team, that's why I threw it in there. Pittsburgh was next, I think. At the beginning of the discussion about expansion, I listed the actual populations.

But yeah, Seattle is obvious. Everyone in the league knows it: by far the biggest market without a team, plus it has a history and a game-crazy fan base. There is no doubt if they get a stadium and apply, they're in.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »

Pittsburgh with an NBA  Shocked. I dont think there is enough diehard basketball fans to support a team after the steelers, penguins and pirates. Maybe not though that could be interesting..

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »

Silnas brothers had the true art of the deal down! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »

Pittsburgh with an NBA  Shocked. I dont think there is enough diehard basketball fans to support a team after the steelers, penguins and pirates. Maybe not though that could be interesting..

I think you overemphasize the importance of diehard basketball fans in the process of getting an NBA team. Ability to profit is the situation, which is more about corporate dollars and marketing. Fan interest isn't UNimportant. But it's not first on the list. Average Joe is more likely to watch from the bar or from home than from a seat in the arena.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »

Very true and with gary bettman having ties to the NBA i could see them sharing an arena with the penguins..

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »

GMs predicting GSW to win it all over cleveland(if both return to finals) by 69%

Minnesota was voted by 56.7% GMs to be most improved team with kris dunn being ROTY

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »

GSW makes sense but I wouldn't bet on Dunn for ROY, myself. He's going to be splitting time for probably at least half the season--and maybe the whole thing--and isn't much of a shooter. Even if he plays well, it won't be the kind of stuff that usually wins ROY votes. Buddy Hield is competing with journeymen for that off-guard spot, especially while Tyreke Evans is hurt. They need perimeter offense (with Evans AND Holiday out), and he can certainly do that. So he's in the hunt. If Joel Embiid stays healthy and plays, say, 67 or more games, he might win it. Saric might be a dark horse, too, being a more experienced rookie with great international competition behind him. Jamal Murray, if he can win that off-guard spot, could be another sleeper.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »

I don't think the league needs anymore teams, except for Seattle.

I loved those Supersonic teams of the 90's. My Pistons had had their run, and Chicago was the dominant team (and I hated them. HATED.) So I hopped on the Seattle bandwagon. Besides, for some reason I like the name Supersonics. I also like those Denver Nuggets 80's jerseys, so my opinions may not seem to make very much sense.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2016, 12:15:09 PM »

These?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_QqzEOlFTM

Nugget's will wear them opening night when they retire Mutombo's number.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »

im wearin a pair of Reebok kamikaze's on right now...
Alot of old NBA team logos from back when look better than current.
 Cavs were gonna wear their 90s kemp era blue,black & orange jerseys(my personal favorite) a few seasons back before 'the return' but it seems they like to forget 96-02 seasons

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »

3 days til tipoff

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »

Interesting topic in this Marc Spears story published today: the decline of white American players in the NBA. Sensitive subject, maybe, but everybody on here is a grown-up and can be nice, right? Right. Good.

http://theundefeated.com/features/white-american-nba-players/

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »

3 days til tipoff

Correction, zero days til tipoff. Knicks at Cavs starts in about 75 minutes. I'm curious to see whether the Knicks starters can play well together after basically never seeing the court at the same time all preseason. (I'm also curious to see whether the bench can pretend to be an NBA-quality batch of guys...) Then San Antonio v Golden State at 9 pm CT, that's a great one. I am extremely curious to see how San Antonio blends in the various new blood they've acquired. And Golden State signed somebody kinda good, what was his name again???  LOL

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »

Got the pregames on  Grin. Flipping back & forth between cavs & indians...Its crazy downtown cleveland right now.....
we know D.Rose & joakim noah will be in sync like in chicago and they trained alot together over the summer but its the Knicks ...
Hey joakim FU

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »

3 days til tipoff

Correction, zero days til tipoff. Knicks at Cavs starts in about 75 minutes. I'm curious to see whether the Knicks starters can play well together after basically never seeing the court at the same time all preseason. (I'm also curious to see whether the bench can pretend to be an NBA-quality batch of guys...) Then San Antonio v Golden State at 9 pm CT, that's a great one. I am extremely curious to see how San Antonio blends in the various new blood they've acquired. And Golden State signed somebody kinda good, what was his name again???  LOL

I haven't been this excited for basketball in years! And yes, as a matter of fact, the Knicks projected starting lineup did not play a second of preseason basketball together. Which makes me especially nervous because Melo is the epitome of a ball-stopper. Early on (this season), expect the starters to have trouble scoring, and defending (Melo again and KP at times). I was happy to see Hornacek take out KP early (6 minute mark) and then reinserting him to start the second quarter when Melo comes out. That was one of the few moves of Derek Fisher's last year that I liked. Our second unit had stronger chemistry and often outplayed our starters last year and that appears to be the case early this year. As for our bench, it is infinitely better than last year and absolutely a legit bench. You've heard it hear first and I look forward to being proven right! Grin Five unproven rookies, but I like them (well, i like 3 or 4 of them). I was happy with the final cuts. Ron Baker made the team. Randle vs N'dour was a toss up for me, Knicks liked N'dour's ability to play multiple positions. I'm really looking forward to seeing what type of rotations Hornacek has settled on. The preseason didn't really provide any hints. As the season wears on, I believe guys like Baker, Hernangomez, and Kuzminskas will all play meaningful minutes. Most everyone has written off the Knicks, I don't buy it... the East has been improving, though. In summary, it's gonna take time for the starters to play well together and the bench to get comfortable. What can I say? Either everything will click tonight and it will be close or we will lose by 20 Smiley

Really looking forward to Spurs vs GSW too. Keep an eye on Aldridge, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to that rumor he was unhappy. Imagine that? 67 wins and unhappy because you're the 2nd option. Pathetic if true. Also, I'm curious about their new players as well. I'm a David Lee fan (of course, former-Knick) and I hope he can find success there. They really need him to play well, because they lost a lot of bigs. Also, what about Davis Bertans? 6'10 and can shoot 3s. That's an area where the Spurs have struggled a bit, so he could potentially make the Spurs a better team. I'd like to see him play. And that's to say nothing of Durant. Looking forward to seeing the new-look Warriors.

Jazz and Portland are interesting teams as well. I opted against league pass but I'll follow their box scores. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »

I totally believe Hernangomez will be a legit rotation player. Jennings obviously can play. But I feel you might be over-crediting the rest of that bench! Kuzminskas seems pretty limited: solid but not special even in Europe. I would expect him to perform similarly to guys like Gigi Datome did. Lance Thomas, Sasha Vujacic, Justin Holiday, even Kyle O'Quinn, we know who and what they are. Plumlee is limited. Baker is a nice little player, we'll see if he can rise to be a rotation guy. (I liked his game in college.)

David Lee ... I think his time is passed (both literally physically, and just in terms of his style compared to where the league is going). He was a bad defender in his prime, and now is a nonexistent one. And while he can score out to 15 feet or so, he can't space the floor with 3s. That makes it tough to see much court time. But I love him, too. He was a favorite of mine for some time because of his creativity. Really saw the floor well.

Davis Bertans is a guy I've been waiting to see come over for quite some time. He's had some nice preseason moments, so we'll see if it translates.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »

Cant wait for spurs GSW game either...ill miss alot cavs opener due to the Indians but hey
Lets do it, Tipoff in a couple minutes finally

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »

Well, the Spurs looked phenomenal last night! Simmons really came to play. How about that exclamation point of a dunk to end the game? That Spurs performance was just what I needed after enduring that horrific Knicks performance.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »

The Knicks truly were horrific. Several decent moments from individual guys, but it's hard to imagine how this all works together. Rose and Jennings are both ball-dominant point guards who are awful fits to the triangle, giving them not one really strong position, but one really weak one (in a strange way). They can play together and you get worse even though they're two of the five best players. Noah's got the head and heart, and he's a nice fit for the offense, but I'm not sure his body is able: he looked slow. Melo was clearly chafing and forced horrible shots at times when he had a wide-open teammate. Those starters are talented and can win some games, but the style of play is going to be an issue all year. Off the bench, Kuzminskas looked better than I thought, though I still think he'll be lucky to be a career rotation guy.

The Cavs showed some nice energy. I wonder about their PG and wing depth, but they may have some moves in them yet.

I was very surprised to see the Spurs win so easily. No disrespect to them, I just figured it would be at best a close game. Draymond set the tone early with a horrendous shot that missed, and it just went on from there. I worry--maybe baselessly, I don't know--that he has gotten a bit of a big head over the past year and is going to go from league's most underrated, versatile jack of all trades to a wannabe first option stat chasing cancer. He's hugely important to their success, but his importance is in being a guy who doesn't need shots. If he's going to be forcing jumpers, he hurts the team. Simple as that.

San Antonio, what a game from their starting forwards. And yes, Simmons, too. I looked at the +/- for guys this morning and while Parker and Anderson were pretty poor, Manu, Patty Mills, and Simmons really did some good out there off the bench.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »

My brother said the same about the spurs not surprised GSW lost, the spurs are like the patriots they're always competitive....kawhi leonard damn still cant believe jimmer fredette and the morris twins were drafted ahead of him

2 seasons ago NY beat the cavs in the opener by 5, lost by 2 points against Chicago last year. Happy D.rose is cleared of the charges that woulda screwed their season (the distraction)

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »

As for the white players disappearing in the NBA.. Black guys took basketball to another level that most white players just cant compete with, its glad the NBA isnt an all white sport.....most rednecks around here call it n-ball anyway Roll Eyes 
I Love This Game

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »

Hell Yes! Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »

One of the best White players to play the game
http://youtu.be/fE5SDgXLb1g

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 06:07:50 PM »

Along with Pistol Pete!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2016, 03:56:40 PM »

Wolves' opener was disappointing. A 20-3 run kicked off the game in Memphis (short Allen, Parsons, and Wright), but still they fell. KAT and Wiggins fell into jump-shooting mode, and the bench couldn't score efficiently at all.

I will say, Fizdale has installed a nice new offense, really opening things up there. Conley was a whole new man. Baldwin looked REALLY good, I thought, as a rookie combo guard. Fun watching ball again, even if the Wolves fell.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: