gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:11:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING  (Read 27002 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »

Be gone, Money!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »

Gonna try Please Mr Postman again.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »

I'm gonna keep going for Mr. Postman because it just doesn't have the charm of the rest of the songs left in my eyes.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2016, 06:11:15 AM »

"Don't Bother Me" - it's George's 1st serious if boring song (to be fair, not as much as "Long Long Long" & "Only a Northern Song" ).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2016, 09:09:27 AM »

"Don't Bother Me" - it's George's 1st serious if boring song (to be fair, not as much as "Long Long Long" & "Only a Northern Song" ).

Finally, someone who is voting with me!  LOL
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »

It's a long dark driveway to be heading down, Marc.  Do you really want to go to that haunted house?  It doesn't seem safe to go with that pick.  You might find your torch go green-glow, yellow, and out...

Stay on the path with us.  Money is being left in our wake.  Money lights the way.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »

Money
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »

Finally, someone who is voting with me!  LOL

Hello
Don't Bother Me

Every wave is new until it breaks.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »

Three of us! Gobble-doo! Three of us! Gobble-doo!

*obscure movie reference. If you know it, +1 brownie points.  Afro
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2016, 05:45:24 PM »

Is "brownie" chocolate pastry? It's "Freaks".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »

Woohoo! Yes and YES!  LOL
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2016, 09:15:55 AM »

Here we go. The Beatles sophomore album.

With the Beatles is the second studio album by the English rock group the Beatles. It was released on 22 November 1963, on Parlophone, and was recorded four months after the band's debut Please Please Me. The album features eight original compositions (seven by Lennon–McCartney and "Don't Bother Me", George Harrison's first recorded solo composition and his first released on a Beatles album) and six covers (mostly of Motown, rock and roll, and R&B hits). The cover photograph was taken by the fashion photographer Robert Freeman, and it has been mimicked by several music groups over the years.

5 Smilers do not want anymore Money.

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

I will shorten the voting span to 2 days. So tally will be on the November 3rd.

It Won't Be Long
All I've Got To Do
All My Loving
Don't Bother Me
Please Mister Postman
Not A Second Time

Following on the heels of the success of their first album, the Beatles were anxious to not rock the boat so they kept the general formula that seemed to work so well on Please Please Me. Though they took more time to record it.

Round#1 Little Child September 27
Round#2 I Wanna Be Your Man October 5
Round#3 'Till There Was You October 10
Round#4 You Really Got A Hold On Me October 17
Round#5 Devil In Her Heart October 22
Round#6 Roll Over Beethoven October 25
Round#7 Hold Me Tight October 28
Round#8 Money (That's What I Want) October 31

My first pick is an easy one. Sort of. I think Hold Me Tight is probably the weakest Lennon/McCartney song in the entire Beatles oeuvre. However, George Harrison's first attempt at song writing isn't exactly a shining moment... But which to vote off?

Ultimately, Hold Me Tight is fun. The hand claps give it energy and I kind of dig that galloping rhythm. Whereas Don't Bother Me is heavy. It has some interesting guitar work. But Harrison's vocal and overdubs are pretty messy.

I'll  STILL vote Don't Bother Me.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »

Don't Bother Me.  Smiley
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »

A few comments on Money now that it's gone: In comparison to the original by Barrett Strong, I like that the Beatles truncated the intro and break from 12 bars to 8. Also, the final refrain has always made the song for me. The way it 'kicks into overdrive' with Paul's punctuated eighth notes (does Ringo double him on bass drum?). My knowledge of music theory is very basic so if my wording is technically wrong, forgive me, I'm just trying to explain specific aspects of the song.  Same as Twist and Shout, I love the complete ending by the Beatles and John's impassioned "that's what I WANT". IMO it better serves the song than fading out. Also, the rawer (even duller) sound and lower key of the Beatles version seems to fit the theme of the song better IMO. But that is a minor point, just a thought. Lastly, if any aspect of the Beatles version were to exceed any others, to me, it would be the backing vocals by Paul and George.

P.S. I like John changing the words to "I wanna be free" and omitting Strong's interjection "and that baby is what I need" after "Always need greens" or "All I need greens" in the original verson. Atleast that's what I hear, but I'm not sure what Strong is saying. Interestingly, it seems John imitates that interjection in the Live at the BBC volume 2 version, although it may have just been a coincidence.

My vote is for Don't Bother Me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:51:25 AM by B.E. » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »

A few comments on Money now that it's gone: In comparison to the original by Barrett Strong, I like that the Beatles truncated the intro and break from 12 bars to 8. Also, the final refrain has always made the song for me. The way it 'kicks into overdrive' with Paul's punctuated eighth notes (does Ringo double him on bass drum?). My knowledge of music theory is very basic so if my wording is technically wrong, forgive me, I'm just trying to explain specific aspects of the song.  Same as Twist and Shout, I love the complete ending by the Beatles and John's impassioned "that's what I WANT". IMO it better serves the song than fading out. Also, the rawer (even duller) sound and lower key of the Beatles version seems to fit the theme of the song better IMO. But that is a minor point, just a thought. Lastly, if any aspect of the Beatles version were to exceed any others, to me, it would be the backing vocals by Paul and George.

P.S. I like John changing the words to "I wanna be free" and omitting Strong's interjection "and that baby is what I need" after "Always need greens" or "All I need greens" in the original verson. Atleast that's what I hear, but I'm not sure what Strong is saying. Interestingly, it seems John imitates that interjection in the Live at the BBC volume 2 version, although it may have just been a coincidence.

My vote is for Don't Bother Me.

If you want raw and exciting, check out the Stones version of Money. Makes the Beatles version seem very tame in comparison, particularly with the garage-y backing vocals by Brian & Bill.

This round my vote goes to All I've Got To Do.... Don't Bother Me is one of the better remaining songs IMO
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »

Don't bother me
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »

I guess I'll do don't bother me since it appears Postman isn't going down any time soon.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »

If you want raw and exciting, check out the Stones version of Money. Makes the Beatles version seem very tame in comparison, particularly with the garage-y backing vocals by Brian & Bill.

Actually, I checked it out a few rounds ago when you mentioned it. I can dig it. Since then I've listened to it about half a dozen times. Still prefer the Beatles version, but i like it. I like the Stones.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »

Don't Bother Me

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »

Eventually if I keep voting for Please Mr Postman it's gonna go. So here goes again.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2016, 05:31:42 AM »

I'm bothered, but don't bother me, I'm busy voting for "Please, Mister Postman"

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »

Here we go. The Beatles sophomore album.

With the Beatles is the second studio album by the English rock group the Beatles. It was released on 22 November 1963, on Parlophone, and was recorded four months after the band's debut Please Please Me. The album features eight original compositions (seven by Lennon–McCartney and "Don't Bother Me", George Harrison's first recorded solo composition and his first released on a Beatles album) and six covers (mostly of Motown, rock and roll, and R&B hits). The cover photograph was taken by the fashion photographer Robert Freeman, and it has been mimicked by several music groups over the years.

Finally. Don't Bother Me. I'm too busy celebrating!!!!

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

I will shorten the voting span to 2 days. So tally will be on the November 6th.

It Won't Be Long
All I've Got To Do
All My Loving
Please Mister Postman
Not A Second Time

Following on the heels of the success of their first album, the Beatles were anxious to not rock the boat so they kept the general formula that seemed to work so well on Please Please Me. Though they took more time to record it.

Round#1 Little Child September 27
Round#2 I Wanna Be Your Man October 5
Round#3 'Till There Was You October 10
Round#4 You Really Got A Hold On Me October 17
Round#5 Devil In Her Heart October 22
Round#6 Roll Over Beethoven October 25
Round#7 Hold Me Tight October 28
Round#8 Money (That's What I Want) October 31
Round#9 Don't Bother Me November 3

Ok. Here I go. Now that my first pick is finally in the loser's lounge my second vote will go towards....

Please Mr. Postman

3D
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »

Now, it gets really difficult for me. Of the five remaining songs, I'm going to vote off Not A Second Time. I don't feel great about it, but there it is.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »

All I've Got To Do is to keep voting against this
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

These are all great songs but All I've Got to Do is pick one to go.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx