gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:24:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wind Chimes Chorus Lyrics and Prelude Melody (starting on Pg 5 bottom)  (Read 22410 times)
leetwall97
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »

We all know about Brian mentioning Barnyard Billy in his documentary "I just Wasn't Made for These Times". If you haven't' seen it you can see it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukxFehVw_c

Now the section he sings there is in the key of F, which is not the same key of the section we know as "Barnyard". That Section is in the key of G#.
However, the notes of that section he sang got me thinking. It sounded real and I wanted to see if there was any instrumental material we might've overlooked. The first thing that came to my mind was I Don't Know and Tones/Tune X because we honestly Don't Know what those sections were for. I've always had a hard time believing the idea that they were written by Carl and Dennis. First, I want to know if there's any real, actual evidence of that notion. Sure they went in with material and conducted the whole show, but does that mean they wrote it? I just find it odd that at the height of Brian's musical powers, that his brothers thought they could add something to the Smile material.

Anyways, the section I Don't Know popped into my head because of it's banjo and bass. The Bass in I Don't Know sounds VERY similar to the notes Brian sang. The only problem was that I Don't Know is in the key of G. But I think Brian just accidentally sang the melody in the lower key. F is right next to G. So I raised the pitch of Brian singing Barnyard Billy to G and put it on top of I Don't Know. My results can be found here. Let me know what you guys think, because I think it's a match.
https://vimeo.com/182006656

The only other remaining question I have is "Is this the master take(4) of IDK?". They have 3 other "takes" on the smile sessions, but they never really count off. And if this is the Barnyard Billy Section, then if makes sense why there's only 4 takes; it's Dennis who's running the session here, which is probably why Brian didn't come in (since this is such a silly and short section. Maybe he was sick or tired so he let Dennis do it).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:19:34 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »

The truth is that "Barnyard Billy" was written by Zeppo Wilson before it was stolen by Dennis for "I Don't Know". After they fought over the song on an airport tarmac, Dennis was inspired to write "Barnyard Blues". Which was supposed to be the centerpiece of Pet Sounds.

We know this because all of those songs are tuned to A440.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »

The truth is that "Barnyard Billy" was written by Zeppo Wilson before it was stolen by Dennis for "I Don't Know". After they fought over the song on an airport tarmac, Dennis was inspired to write "Barnyard Blues". Which was supposed to be the centerpiece of Pet Sounds.

Huh?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »

We all know about Brian mentioning Barnyard Billy in his documentary "I just Wasn't Made for These Times". If you haven't' seen it you can see it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukxFehVw_c

Now the section he sings there is in the key of F, which is not the same key of the section we know as "Barnyard". That Section is in the key of G#.
However, the notes of the section he sang got me thinking. It sounded real and I wanted to see if there was any instrumental material we might've overlooked. The first thing that came to my mind was I Don't Know and Tones/Tune X because we honestly Don't Know what those sections were for. I've always had a hard time believing the idea that they were written by Carl and Dennis. First, I want to know if there's any real, actual evidence of that notion. Sure they went in with material and conducted the whole show, but does that mean they wrote it? I just find it odd that at the height of Brian's musical powers, that his brothers thought they could add something to the Smile material.

Anyways, the section I Don't Know popped into my head because of it's banjo and bass. The Bass in I Don't Know sounds VERY similar to the notes Brian sang. The only problem was that I Don't Know is in the key of G. But I think Brian just accidentally sang the melody in the lower key. F is right next to G. So I raised the pitch of Brian singing Barnyard Billy to G and put it on top of I Don't Know. My results can be found here. Let me know what you guys think, because I think it's a match.
https://vimeo.com/182006656

The only other remaining question I have is "Is this the master take(4) of IDK?". They have 3 other "takes" on the smile sessions, but they never really count off. And if this is the Barnyard Billy Section, then if makes sense why there's only 4 takes; it's Dennis who's running the session here, which is probably why Brian didn't come in (since this is such a silly and short section. Maybe he was sick or tired so he let Dennis do it).

I honestly don't know...I've often wondered what the deal was, or if it was just something Brian made up 'off-the-cuff' so to speak.

As for 'I don't Know' and 'Tones/Tune X', I always thought they were just kind of 'practice exercises' to get more acclimated to production.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
leetwall97
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »

I honestly don't know...I've often wondered what the deal was, or if it was just something Brian made up 'off-the-cuff' so to speak.

As for 'I don't Know' and 'Tones/Tune X', I always thought they were just kind of 'practice exercises' to get more acclimated to production.

But vocals were recorded for Tones/Tune X, so they couldn't've just been practice exercises. That's exactly what I used to think.
Also, I think Tones and IDK were meant to go together. IDK into Tones sounds very natural and it's in the same key.

And I do agree with the production thing, since Dennis and Carl were the only ones who fully trusted the direction Brian was taking the material. It's kind of Godfather-esque, Brian letting them produce several pieces as a gift in return for their support in him at the time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:04:19 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »

This is hilarious because you can tell a genuine amount of time was wasted putting thought into this.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:54:41 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »

I think this very site is one of the few places where Zeppo Wilson's impressive but tragic biography is still available. I urge anyone who doesn't know the truth about the forgotten Wilson brother to do a search and read about this nearly-lost bit of history.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »

This is hilarious because you can tell a genuine amount of time was wasted putting thought into this.

One must also consider this chord progression from the second part of "Surf's Up":

iv ii   V  I
  adieu or die...

Now, here is "Everybody Wants to Live":

iv     ii   ii/V  I
  ...your life can be

What could this mean? Sure, one chord is different, but the songs are in the same key (F major). Plus, one of the lyrics says "die", while the other says "life". There's no way this was unintentional. Was Brian trying to hint at a lost "cigarette butt suite"?

It's amazing how - if we look hard enough - we can find new mysteries about Smile every day!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »

I think this very site is one of the few places where Zeppo Wilson's impressive but tragic biography is still available. I urge anyone who doesn't know the truth about the forgotten Wilson brother to do a search and read about this nearly-lost bit of history.
You do realize it's just a boring joke? There is nobody with such name that exists in BBs biography. leetwall97 asked serious question & expected, obviously, serious answer.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »

You do realize it's just a boring joke? There is nobody with such name that exists in BBs biography. leetwall97 asked serious question & expected, obviously, serious answer.

Great crispy sh*t...lighten up. It was a damn joke.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »

RR has about the same sense of humor as the "mega mod" on the other board. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »

LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »

Do we know for sure if Barnyard Billy loved his chickens, or did he just tolerate them?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »

That's what I said, joke. This "Zeppo" thing is so tiresome, I didn't know people still find it funny, like Emily etc. If I asked very serious question, I would expect serious answer. Look what leetwall97 wrote, he didn't like that joke too. I agreed with them, why reply just to me?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »

If I asked very serious question, I would expect serious answer.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

Thanks for cat. I like cats. 3D

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »

As for the original topic...
I admit to not being as knowledgeable about Smile as some of the other scholars here.  So..is there even such a thing as 'Barnyard Billy' or was the just something Brian tossed off during the IJWMFTT doc?

leetwall97
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »

I admit to not being as knowledgeable about Smile as some of the other scholars here.  So..is there even such a thing as 'Barnyard Billy' or was the just something Brian tossed off during the IJWMFTT doc?
I think it's real. The way Brian looks off to the right and tries to grab something from the past quickly. It sounds thought out too. Plus Mark Linett believes in Barnyard Billy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »

I think it's real. The way Brian looks off to the right and tries to grab something from the past quickly. It sounds thought out too. Plus Mark Linett believes in Barnyard Billy.

I want to believe in Barnyard Billy.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »

Just to be clear, I meant no disrespect to leetwall97's post. I just popped in to see what the topic was, saw the Zeppo mention, thought I'd follow up. Zeppo doesn't get enough respect around here.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »

Thanks for cat. I like cats. 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:55 PM »

Just to be clear, I meant no disrespect to leetwall97's post. I just popped in to see what the topic was, saw the Zeppo mention, thought I'd follow up. Zeppo doesn't get enough respect around here.

No worries  :D

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 11:32:56 PM »

This is the best thread ever.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »

No Jay, this is

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 11:38:57 PM »

LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx