gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Book Discussion Thread (and how it relates to the SS board)  (Read 133561 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: October 09, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »

See THOSE are the kind of responses I would hope that Mike would be able to give to questions regarding the 'good old days'.  Properly answered with a touch a class and dignity.  IF this was the norm then I think a LOT more of us would tend to be OK with him... ... ...at least in the present tense.

Unfortunately these answers, 2 posts up, are the exception to the rule.  And that rule has been plainly in sight for WAY too many decades.  Now it's official.  There has to be an exception to the rule in order to prove that the rule exists.

Personally I'd prefer to see a ton more 'exceptions'. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 10, 2016, 01:33:37 AM »

Another well deserved and glowing endorsement I'm sure.  One day I will read it...when it's available at my local library.  I'm not giving that dink any of my money ever again.

Intriguing! A Beach Boys fan who's vowing to never buy any Beach Boys releases or products ever again.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 10, 2016, 06:26:28 AM »

Sorry to interrupt the flow but has this been linked yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbWQSMm798

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: October 10, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »

See THOSE are the kind of responses I would hope that Mike would be able to give to questions regarding the 'good old days'.  Properly answered with a touch a class and dignity.  IF this was the norm then I think a LOT more of us would tend to be OK with him... ... ...at least in the present tense.

Unfortunately these answers, 2 posts up, are the exception to the rule.  And that rule has been plainly in sight for WAY too many decades.  Now it's official.  There has to be an exception to the rule in order to prove that the rule exists.

Personally I'd prefer to see a ton more 'exceptions'. Cool Guy

In my opinion, ever once in awhile you can see Mike walk the tone of his answers back, especially concerning Dennis and Brian. I sense occasionally someone gives him feedback indicating folks think he's being too negative and going on the attack too much. Any PR person could tell him he's always going to be fighting a losing battle trying to besmirch those guys. I think Mike knows that fact as well (e.g. "For some Brian will always walk on water", etc.), and that fact is probably one of the sources of his frustration which causes the circle of dysfunction to continue.

I think in the press stuff from recent weeks there was at least one point, after Mike spent weeks feeding the "Manson" angle all of the media outlets were picking up, where Mike mentioned in an interview that the press was focusing in too much on the one Manson angle.

So I've seen a pattern in recent years where Mike stokes the flames (both knowingly and unknowingly I would guess), and then makes a very, very brief attempt to move away from such negativity.

Then, apparently, he remembers again that his name wasn't on "California Girls", and he gets pissed all over again, forgetting he won the lawsuit and has everything going just the way he wants. And then the cycle begins again.

I guess, beyond the obvious reasons, we should be grateful Al never got into drugs, because Mike mentioning Al's eschewing of drugs is often about the only passing non-musical reference to something positive he'll say about other band members (other than Bruce, and Dave I suppose). Though, of course, mentioning Al's drug-free lifestyle only comes up when Mike is talking about himself in the first place.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 10, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »

myKe luHv's leaky, unseaworthy boat sunk many moons ago. Now, just like his reputation, it gathers barnacles with the passage of time with schools of fish looking for food passing by it with no interest.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: October 10, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »

myKe luHv's leaky, unseaworthy boat sunk many moons ago. Now, just like his reputation, it gathers barnacles with the passage of time with schools of fish looking for food passing by it with no interest.

Is that a 'play' on the joke about why lawyers manage to survive after their ship sinks while most of us don't... ... ...because even sharks find them entirely distasteful?  Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 10, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »

Is that a 'play' on the joke about why lawyers manage to survive after their ship sinks while most of us don't... ... ...because even sharks find them entirely distasteful?  Wink

LOL  Not by design but good comparison, Lee.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:19 PM »

Would Kokomo have still been a hit if Mike hadn't made a small change in the lyrics? 

He also added the "Aruba, Jamaica" part of the song. It's not the main hook but it's still a secondary hook.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 10, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »

Ouch.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 11, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »

I literally had a nightmare with Mike Love saying that Van Dyke's lyrics are "acid alliteration". That is one of the lowest points in Mike's long series of dubious, stupid comments.  Angry
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »

I literally had a nightmare with Mike Love saying that Van Dyke's lyrics are "acid alliteration". That is one of the lowest points in Mike's long series of dubious, stupid comments.  Angry

While Mike penned some fine lyrics in the '60s, he for decades has been penning nothing more than flaccid alliteration.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 11, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »

Just finished this book the other day. While many love (no pun intended) to bash Mike Love (i do in some cases, like the 1988 R&R Hall of Fame speech),i think this is a decent book.

Jon G.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: October 11, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »

While Mike penned some fine lyrics in the '60s, he for decades has been penning nothing more than flaccid alliteration.

Nice play on words there LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 11, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »

Just finished this book the other day. While many love (no pun intended) to bash Mike Love (i do in some cases, like the 1988 R&R Hall of Fame speech),i think this is a decent book.

The problem is that even Trump's book is decent, but by no means it gives him merit for anything but for his good writing skills or, more probably, for having enough money to hire someone who has.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:56:40 PM by mathen_ » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 11, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »

I went to one of Mike's book signings yesterday. There wasn't a talk or anything, it was just straight through the line, but you got to spend a good minute or two talking to him, and have a picture taken. I didn't feel rushed, but still deliberately paced. They had around two-hundred people to get through, so it's not like he could spend five minutes with everyone.

Mike looked pretty tired, but still chatted a bit with everyone. I'm pretty bad around celebrities, but I still told him I liked his comment about James Watt ("someone should drill his ass for brains") and he smiled and chuckled a little.

I haven't had a chance to dive very deep into the book, besides for what I read in line, but what I read was pretty good. He takes a few self-deprecating shots, and really plays up his connections to famous people (he has a great story about talking with Richard Pryor about the Chinese economy, which he admits is a very bizarre thing to have happened), but that's who Mike is. I can't imagine this book is going to redeem Mike from his haters, but at the very least, it's an extended glimpse into his psyche, and a pretty fun read.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 11, 2016, 05:51:36 PM »

Did he sign only books?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 11, 2016, 06:00:02 PM »

Did he sign only books?

There were a few people who had stuff with them - (I know you're reading this  Wink), but we all just had our book signed out of courtesy to the people behind us.

But that didn't stop us from waiting in front of Mike's taxi so he could sign everything else. He seemed nice enough about it, though. Even the cabbie borrowed a sharpie because he wanted his book signed!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 18, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »

Stopped at Mike's Washington DC signing today, which, as I noted before, was held in A Mano, a home-furnishings store - or boutique might be a better word, since it's in a small converted townhouse - in the Georgetown neighborhood of DC.

It was a remarkable situation. I was handed one of 120 or so copies of GV piled on a table - this was the only book being sold there - paid for it, then went upstairs to what once was a bedroom. In it were stacks of bedspreads, some throw pillows - and Mike sitting at a small wooden table. No security or even store employees in the room - just him and a couple of cheerful guys in suits hanging around, who I think were lobbyist or lawyer friends or something like that.

As he inscribed his book I noted that it was the first book by or about the band or its members to be a NY Times bestseller. "Y'know, there's a reason for that!" he answered. I told him my wife and sister had been to Rishikesh for a month a couple of years back and he was very interested in that. Then I recommended an Indian vegetarian restaurant, about six miles north of the store, gave him its address, and left.

There was no line at all - just one or two people going up every few minutes. In contrast to the usual scene at a BB's related signing, I was the only person in the place in jeans. I would have put on a Hawaiian shirt for the occasion except that it was an impulsive side trip after I ran an errand nearby. (I had only seen it mentioned on the publisher's page I linked to before - no mention at Mike's FB page or at A Mano's site - and I wasn't sure he was actually in town until I called the store after the errand and confirmed it.)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: October 18, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »

Stopped at Mike's Washington DC signing today, which, as I noted before, was held in A Mano, a home-furnishings store - or boutique might be a better word, since it's in a small converted townhouse - in the Georgetown neighborhood of DC.

It was a remarkable situation. I was handed one of 120 or so copies of GV piled on a table - this was the only book being sold there - paid for it, then went upstairs to what once was a bedroom. In it were stacks of bedspreads, some throw pillows - and Mike sitting at a small wooden table. No security or even store employees in the room - just him and a couple of cheerful guys in suits hanging around, who I think were lobbyist or lawyer friends or something like that.

As he inscribed his book I noted that it was the first book by or about the band or its members to be a NY Times bestseller. "Y'know, there's a reason for that!" he answered. I told him my wife and sister had been to Rishikesh for a month a couple of years back and he was very interested in that. Then I recommended an Indian vegetarian restaurant, about six miles north of the store, gave him its address, and left.

There was no line at all - just one or two people going up every few minutes. In contrast to the usual scene at a BB's related signing, I was the only person in the place in jeans. I would have put on a Hawaiian shirt for the occasion except that it was an impulsive side trip after I ran an errand nearby. (I had only seen it mentioned on the publisher's page I linked to before - no mention at Mike's FB page or at A Mano's site - and I wasn't sure he was actually in town until I called the store after the errand and confirmed it.)

Remarkable and surreal.

Throw pillows.  LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »

Like this?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2016, 05:22:03 AM »

Billy! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 19, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »

Remarkable and surreal.

Throw pillows.  LOL

How was the cutlery section?   Wink

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2016, 02:49:09 AM »

I just read some more excerpts from Mike's book. I have some things to say.
1) As a best seller, ok. There are all the "right" things.
2) If he wanted to "vindicate" anythiing, sorry. He may convince his sycophants who didn't need convincing. Anybody else, he confirmed everything we knew, or strongly guessed, about him.
3) Anybody who says that he doesn't say anything nasty against Brian, must be blind.
4) He should meditate less, if that is the result.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:07:32 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:34 AM »

With regard to Pisces Brothers, has the story of George giving Mike the painting of Guru Dev ever been backed up by another source? Has the painting ever been displayed? Similarly, did any of The Beatles, or Donovan, ever confirm that they arranged Fun Fun Fun into a Happy Birthday song for Mike?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:24:14 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: December 15, 2016, 07:23:34 AM »

With regard to Pisces Brothers, has the story of George giving Mike the painting of Guru Dev ever been backed up by another source? Has the painting ever been displayed? Similarly, did any of The Beatles, or Donovan, ever confirm that they arranged Fun Fun Fun into a Happy Birthday song for Mike?

I think Mike is vastly overhyping his relationship with any of the Beatles. He hung out with them for a couple months back in 1968 amid a cast of dozens and dozens of people, and then ran into them on occasion in subsequent years.

The recording of Paul singing the "Happy Birthday" song has been around for years; I don't know if the precise genesis of the song has been documented, but considering the recording exists, I see no reason to doubt the general narrative that Paul and others worked up a little birthday ditty in the vague style of a BB song. I would guess Paul and the others gave it little thought after they did it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx