gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:33:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: Twist and Shout  (Read 34980 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2016, 06:01:05 PM »

Twist And Shout by a landslide for me. One of the band's most iconic and enjoyable early rockers. Who gives a damn if it's a cover - the Beatles made it their own just as the Stones made I Wanna Be Your Man (from With The Beatles) their own!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »

bye bye 'twist', sad to see you go  Smokin
What is your vote for the best song? That's what it's on now.

For me, Please Please Me.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:13:16 PM by Emily » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »

Yes, I said it page ago. You didn't vote too, btw.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »

Yes, I said it page ago. You didn't vote too, btw.

I saw you said, but I thought I'd reiterate in hopes he says Please Please Me!  Smiley

I've now voted.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »

oh my, seems like I just cut my own throat Cry
Please Please Me is the best song on the album.
excellent harmony melody, cool guitar chords, and that
cool E - G - C - B7 - E ending.
That's my vote.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:27:26 PM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2016, 07:39:15 AM »

My favorite songs from this album are:  "There's A Place" and "Ask Me Why" and "Anna" -in that order.

The three that are left are all very very good, because The Beatles were very very good.  The best band the UK ever produced.

"Twist and Shout" by The Beatles is my favorite version of that song.  I love many of the cover versions they did, one of which is in my Top 3.  John was my favorite singer and writer in The Beatles when I was living thru the times.
Paul had plenty of great songs, and they wrote many many great songs together.  They both added little touches to each others songs to make them better.  John just had so much more Soul in their early days.  Paul couldn't equal that until 1966.

Then something happened...  I'll talk about that when we get there.

What I should have made more clear about my thoughts on "Twist and Shout" is that this performance was not the best, not the best John could do, cover or not.  I don't think it was a great idea to record an album in a day.  I'm sure they thought so too.  Their second album blew the first one away.  We all noticed the six weak numbers, and voted them out in the first six rounds, one after another.

I see these last three standing as almost a tie, but I will pick one:

"Please Please Me" 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2016, 08:15:54 AM »

... the Stones made I Wanna Be Your Man (from With The Beatles) their own!
Hey Rei,  nice to see you are still around.  I see you over on the SHF as well.

I don't think the Stones made it their own, exactly.  They gave it their own unique spin.  As you know, the Stones were basically a covers band in their early days.  They bested many songs with a cover.  It was great they were still playing it on a recent tour.  The Stones sure do beat Paul's lame live version.  The Beatles version?  That's right around the corner.  > 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »

Neither is career highlight in 2 bands. It's little curio for The Rolling Stones as song given to them by the Beatles. That's it. Then everybody forgot & moved on.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »

Twist and Shout purely for John's raw, powerful lead vocal performance. It helped define what Rock and Roll is considered today!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »

twist and shout

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2016, 04:20:56 AM »

I can't be doing with kicking stuff out but the top track for me (on a genius debut album of all good tracks) is "There's A Place", if only for the harmonica and the intervals between the voices.

It's a song of few notes where every single note counts...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2016, 05:48:02 AM »

There's a Place was my favorite on this album as well.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:44 PM »

Please Please Me vs Twist and Shout... I've been agonizing over this decision for days! LOL I think Please Please Me is a more interesting song and I really love the harmonies and the "C'Mon" section, but I have to go with the iconic Twist and Shout. I love that the Beatles repeated the build up and had a complete ending. For me, it really enhances the experience. Also, the build up itself in the Beatles version is IMO one of the most exciting moments in rock n roll history (along with She Loves You) and perfectly captures the energy of Beatlemania. Interestingly, I just picked up the new release of Live at Hollywood Bowl and was reminded that the Beatles began performing Twist and Shout by jumping from the intro straight to the build up. Assuming that they were performing that song first to kick off the set (as it was sequenced on the live album), what a fantastic idea! Listening to that was a revelation.

Also, for those who have only heard Please Please Me in stereo I recommend listening to the mono version. John's vocal flub and laugh (though endearing) and the odd speed problem at the end of the stereo version are not present in the mono version.

So, I vote for Twist and Shout.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:00:47 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2016, 06:22:54 PM »

I Saw Her Standing There for the win.

One of the best opening songs on an album EVER.

What a way to kick off the Beatles' album career!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:26:08 AM by petsoundsnola » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »

Also, for those who have only heard Please Please Me in stereo I recommend listening to the mono version. John's vocal flub and laugh (though endearing) and the odd speed problem at the end of the stereo version are not present in the mono version.

Aha!! Thank you! I had all the Capitol lps when I was a kid then at some point replaced them with CDs and whenever I've listened to Please Please Me, I've felt a little irked, feeling like it had a sanitized or... something was different. I'm missing the flub and laugh! I will have to go find a stereo version for nostalgia's sake.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »

2Emily: check the vids of John goofing around in Mellotron. No. 4 is my favorite coz it's dark, a bit frightening & freakish. You'll like it. 3D

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »

2Emily: check the vids of John goofing around in Mellotron. No. 4 is my favorite coz it's dark, a bit frightening & freakish. You'll like it. 3D
Will do. Thanks, RRA1!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2016, 02:17:50 AM »

Neither is career highlight in 2 bands. It's little curio for The Rolling Stones as song given to them by the Beatles. That's it. Then everybody forgot & moved on.

I wouldn't quite go that far. For the Stones, it was their first major single (as much as I like Come On), and features not only a prominent and memorable Wyman bass line, but also the first slide guitar work on a British pop/rock single, courtesy of Brian Jones.... back in 1963 there really was nothing like it
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2016, 04:42:00 AM »

I wouldn't quite go that far. For the Stones, it was their first major single (as much as I like Come On), and features not only a prominent and memorable Wyman bass line, but also the first slide guitar work on a British pop/rock single, courtesy of Brian Jones.... back in 1963 there really was nothing like it
You & your Wyman. police I know you're big fan of his but I don't consider him very spectacular bass player. Competent, good but that's it. But then, I know nothing about guitars, never played any, other than toy guitar. Imo Keith is/was better bass player. Source: ears. police

Back to topic - pixletwin, when do you tally votes? 20th September passed.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »

You & your Wyman. police I know you're big fan of his but I don't consider him very spectacular bass player. Competent, good but that's it. But then, I know nothing about guitars, never played any, other than toy guitar. Imo Keith is/was better bass player. Source: ears. police

Back to topic - pixletwin, when do you tally votes? 20th September passed.

The thing with Keith is that he's a typical guitarist playing bass - and it shows. Any doubts about Wyman's abilities would be blown away by his terrific work on songs such as Miss You, 19th Nervous Breakdown, 2120 South Michigan Avenue... etc. He was also brilliant on the early R&B covers such as Around And Around and Route 66 - now there's a bassist who can really swing  Rock!... Always a joy and a challenge to cover on bass IMO
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »

I'm aware of those songs you mentioned, in fact "2120 South Michigan Avenue" is in my Top 30 by the Stones & among favorite instrumentals. The bass there is "fat" & groovy but in principle, Bill Wyman isn't good bassist imo. I didn't say that Keith is good, only if compare with Wyman.
good for you to play bass as Bill though.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »

We have a tie.

6 votes for Please Please Me and 6 votes for Twist and Shout.

The first new vote for either one is the SURVIVOR...

Come one. One more person needs to vote.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2016, 12:10:46 PM »

I count 7 for Twist and Shout: Reply#193,194,197,200,208,209,212

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

Please Please Me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »

Please Please Me.

I'd rather not....

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx