gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:49:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: Twist and Shout  (Read 35106 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »

Anna!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
bluesno1fann
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »

Ask Me Why
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2016, 12:10:46 AM »

Ask me why
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2016, 04:03:19 AM »

Baby It's You. Great vocal by John, but it's a ho-hum song
It's very nice of you to say - it's really boring track.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »

Baby It's You. Great vocal by John, but it's a ho-hum song
It's very nice of you to say - it's really boring track.

Is that your vote?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »

Yes - didn't you see I voted for "Baby it's you" before in every round?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 06:55:40 AM »

Yes - didn't you see I voted for "Baby it's you" before in every round?

I can't remember. lol
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »

Ask Me Why, reluctantly. I enjoy the vocals. Had I voted last round it would have also been for Love Me Do. These songs have never been favorites of mine, but they've been growing on me. In the case of Love Me Do, I'm reminded how I miss John's harmonica playing on the later albums.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2016, 12:31:51 PM »

In the case of Love Me Do, I'm reminded how I miss John's harmonica playing on the later albums.

Yes indeed! Those early tracks with harmonica are like nothing else before or since (except perhaps "Hey! Baby"). 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »

Ask Me Why, reluctantly. I enjoy the vocals. Had I voted last round it would have also been for Love Me Do. These songs have never been favorites of mine, but they've been growing on me. In the case of Love Me Do, I'm reminded how I miss John's harmonica playing on the later albums.

Love Me Do has never been a favorite of mine but I think that harmonica sound alone is iconic so I'm surprised to see it gone so soon.  Also, I saw Paul live a few weeks ago and he's been doing an acoustic version on this tour and it's pretty awesome.

As for my vote, still goes to Anna.

I predict it's going to come down to Twist and Shout, Please Please Me, and I Saw Her Standing There.  And that's when it's going to get tough!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »

I predict it's going to come down to Twist and Shout, Please Please Me, and I Saw Her Standing There.
Some posters here don't like "Twist & Shout", f.ex. Rick Bartlett, edit: EgoHanger1966. They think it is overrated. I consider it "Please please me". good drumming from Ringo & that's about it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:49:22 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »

I predict it's going to come down to Twist and Shout, Please Please Me, and I Saw Her Standing There.
Some posters here don't like "Twist & Shout", f.ex. Rick Bartlett, KDS. They think it is overrated. I consider it "Please please me". good drumming from Ringo & that's about it.

I love Twist and Shout
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »

I think that live John energy works on 'twist and shout', but the song itself, is just 'meh'.
No matter who does it.  A bit like the song 'shout', it's 'meh', just not musically exciting I think for me.
maybe heard it too much, maybe played it too much in bands...
 Huh
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »

In the case of Love Me Do, I'm reminded how I miss John's harmonica playing on the later albums.

Yes indeed! Those early tracks with harmonica are like nothing else before or since (except perhaps "Hey! Baby"). 

The harmonica tracks are part of what makes the early songs unique, as does the three-part harmonies - like on "This Boy."
Two of my favorite Beatles harmonica tracks are "Little Child" and "I Should Have Known Better."

Hey John, we're going to do Bruce Channel next!  "Hey! Baby" - loved Conway Twitty's rockin' Country version in 1970, with steel guitar replacing the harmonica.  Arthur Alexander (writer of "Anna" and "You Better Move On"), and big Lennon influence ("Soldier of Love" and "A Shot of Rhythm and Blues) did a great version.  Channel's version is the best, with Delbert McClinton on harmonica (who Lennon met when The Beatles were second-billed to Channel, 21 June 1962).

My vote goes to "Baby It's You" - the best version of this song.  I always liked Costello's take as well.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »

My vote goes to "Baby It's You" - the best version of this song.  I always liked Costello's take as well.

You're supposed to vote for your least favorite track.  I do love Baby It's You as well, the Live at the BBC version in particular.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »

I think that live John energy works on 'twist and shout', but the song itself, is just 'meh'.
No matter who does it.  A bit like the song 'shout', it's 'meh', just not musically exciting I think for me.
maybe heard it too much, maybe played it too much in bands...
 Huh
The Beatles version has energy but I like the song itself. Beatles were good as studio band, John & Paul live esp. seemed nervous.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »

John always sang T&S with a bit  more soul live. The PPM version is far more shouty than he typically sang.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2016, 07:12:21 AM »

I didn't say it was with less soul - I said generally, the Beatles weren't that good live; it shows that they didn't like touring & would rather work quietly in the studio.

KDS
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2016, 07:49:30 AM »

I didn't say it was with less soul - I said generally, the Beatles weren't that good live; it shows that they didn't like touring & would rather work quietly in the studio.

I think part of the problem was that they couldn't hear themselves.  Concert PAs were nothing in the early to mid 60s, and with all the screaming, it was impossible to hear.  That, and the fact that their studio compositions were getting increasingly difficult to reproduce live, lead to their getting off the road fifty years ago this month. 

If you really want to check out some Beatles live stuff, their BBC releases are quite good. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »

The 1st thing listed seems like poor excuse. Other artists were equally good live as in the studio, despite the technical issues. Then, the BBs performed their challenging tracks live & I don't just say Pet Sounds.

KDS
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2016, 08:48:02 AM »

The 1st thing listed seems like poor excuse. Other artists were equally good live as in the studio, despite the technical issues. Then, the BBs performed their challenging tracks live & I don't just say Pet Sounds.

But, few other bands dealt with the mania that greeted The Beatles at their concerts. 

But, while they did deal with some issues, I really wouldn't say The Beatles were a poor live band. 

And to address pixletwin, John's voice was pretty much shredded by the time they recorded T&S.  It was the last song recorded during a marathon session, and he basically had to shout to produce any kind of usable vocal. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »

The Beatles became the most popular band in Liverpool before they had a recording contract precisely because of the strength of their live act. Keep in mind, too, that Liverpool was the English city at that time where rock and roll music was actually being played live. The Beatles had the capacity for being one of the best live bands but their act had to be structured due to the immense pressure they were under and the rigid schedule that they had. But I do urge anyone to listen to the December 1962 Hamburg show to discover the kind of live act The Beatles genuinely were. The first hand accounts largely discussed what a thrilling experience The Beatles were live.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:41:32 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »

In early years they were good but it doesn't show in youtube videos of when they became famous & got cult status. The show in Japan, f.ex., is very weak. Despite John shredding his voice, "Twist & shout" ended up being very energetic in the studio. From youtube videos seen, The Beatles seemed very static & very nervous. Not the definition of "good live band". I listened to Hamburg shows but didn't refer to them. When they got famous, with albums, they weren't good live.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:31:16 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »

The Beatles were pretty burnt out by those Japan shows.  Check out Shea Stadium 1965.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:23:02 AM by KDS » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »

In early years they were good but it doesn't show in youtube videos of when they became famous & got cult status. The show in Japan, f.ex., is very weak. Despite John shredding his voice, "Twist & shout" ended up being very energetic in the studio. From youtube videos seen, The Beatles seemed very static & very nervous. Not the definition of "good live band". I listened to Hamburg shows but didn't refer to them. When they got famous, with albums, they weren't good live.

John agrees with you. Their manager, Brian Epstein, sort of knocked all the rough edges from them when he took over managing them. It had a huge influence on their live performance. Compound that with not being able to hear themselves play for the next 3 years and it is what it is.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:12:44 AM by pixletwin » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx