gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 186 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official BB You Tube Thread  (Read 1388901 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: August 30, 2009, 07:31:40 AM »

Regarding the medley on the Griffin show, my favorite part is Brian lip synching Carl's part on Good Vibrations ... and I can't help but wonder whether Brian has the slightest idea what's going on.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 30, 2009, 07:32:27 AM »

Holy merda! I've been wanting to see this for YEARS. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: That medley is the sloppiest, most confusing thing I've heard. Who the heck edited it together? A two year old? There is absolutely no rhyme nor reason for any of it. Al looks confused as hell, as does Bruce. It was the same thing with the American Bandstand 20th Anniversary show. At least on Merv Griffen Dennis looks like he's actually paying attention, and trying to follow along. On American Bandstand Dennis looks like he's about to keel over any minute. Did anybody catch, in this clip, Mike going over to Dennis and saying something? It's during Fun Fun Fun. It doesn't look to friendly.  Roll Eyes

I friggin' hate that performance. It's not even a performance. Thats basically the Merv Griffin show saying, we like your old sound so we'll just play the original studio recording over your voices.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: August 30, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »

OH MY GOD, it has arrived: "Night Time" from Dick Clark with the leather pants...I about lost it when I saw this was on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfwkkm-GQI&feature=channel

That wolf yell at 2:11 just kills me...

Wow! Talk about comfortable in front of a crowd! For some reason I picture Mike when I see him strut around, not in a negative way tho.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 30, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »

Thats basically the Merv Griffin show saying, we like your old sound so we'll just play the original studio recording over your voices.

No, it isn't that at all. The Merv Griffin show didn't decide to release that medley as a single. The Beach Boys, their label and/or their various representatives did. The Merv Griffin show booked them through the band's own promotional efforts of their own (however unfortunate) release.

As for their old sound, well, the Griffin show audience was in line with the band themselves and pretty much the rest of the world by that time, preferring the old hits to anything new. (Beach Boys Medley hit #12 on the Billboard charts according to Andrew Doe's site.) Let's be honest, by this time the band abandoned new music. The last gasp at such a thing was Light Album, several years before this performance. Their most recent album at this time was the decidedly retro Keepin The Summer Alive, and while their next one, The Beach Boys had modern production, most of the tunes were even more nostalgic. They were a jukebox by this time. Merv Griffin's show had nothing to do with that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 30, 2009, 08:34:50 AM »

Thats basically the Merv Griffin show saying, we like your old sound so we'll just play the original studio recording over your voices.

No, it isn't that at all. The Merv Griffin show didn't decide to release that medley as a single. The Beach Boys, their label and/or their various representatives did. The Merv Griffin show booked them through the band's own promotional efforts of their own (however unfortunate) release.

As for their old sound, well, the Griffin show audience was in line with the band themselves and pretty much the rest of the world by that time, preferring the old hits to anything new. (Beach Boys Medley hit #12 on the Billboard charts according to Andrew Doe's site.) Let's be honest, by this time the band abandoned new music. The last gasp at such a thing was Light Album, several years before this performance. Their most recent album at this time was the decidedly retro Keepin The Summer Alive, and while their next one, The Beach Boys had modern production, most of the tunes were even more nostalgic. They were a jukebox by this time. Merv Griffin's show had nothing to do with that.

And, the actual album that was being promoted on The Merv Griffin Show with that performance (Merv displays the album) is Ten Years Of Harmony. The Beach Boys Medley isn't even on that album! The group showed no faith in the Ten Years Of Harmony material to perform a song from that album. And, when they did choose a single from Ten Years Of Harmony, with all of those "creative" early/mid 70's tracks, it was......"Come Go With Me".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: August 30, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »

OH MY GOD, it has arrived: "Night Time" from Dick Clark with the leather pants...I about lost it when I saw this was on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfwkkm-GQI&feature=channel

That wolf yell at 2:11 just kills me...
There seem to be a lot of the more rare Beach Boys related videos being posted lately on YouTube. I keep hoping that one day somebody will post Brian's interview on Live with Regis and Kathy Lee.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 31, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »

They often seem to come and go.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya0EH7KCL5I

From the Duck Dodgers cartoon series. Hadn't seen this before. I have to say Brian looks really slim here.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:14 AM »

And, the actual album that was being promoted on The Merv Griffin Show with that performance (Merv displays the album) is Ten Years Of Harmony. The Beach Boys Medley isn't even on that album! The group showed no faith in the Ten Years Of Harmony material to perform a song from that album. And, when they did choose a single from Ten Years Of Harmony, with all of those "creative" early/mid 70's tracks, it was......"Come Go With Me".

They performed one song from the album at the Merv Griffin show, it was Lady Lynda.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1759 on: September 03, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »

Are these the Honeys we all know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1SINKl1Y8&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »

They performed one song from the album at the Merv Griffin show, it was Lady Lynda.
Do you have it? Can you post it?

MBE
« Reply #1761 on: September 03, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »

No
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1762 on: September 04, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

Allright....  Smiley

Looks like Ron Altbach is on youtube, check out the comments on "Lady Lynda": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0rdP8cf6c&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 04, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

No, this is the (Australian, I believe) indie pop band by that name, on Origin Records.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 04, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »

The Dick Clark thing -- wow. Just wow. Brian is so seldom comfortable on TV, but that's adding insult to injury.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »

This video is interesting. Brian, Jeff, AND Darian all notice the camera in the audience.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 05, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »

Jay what video are you reffering to?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 05, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »

A good live performance of Desert Drive with the great Andy Paley (who nonetheless looks like he got old quick!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7VLJnxbtoU&feature=related

And this very random advert with Brian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWVbj0YUyE&feature=related

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 05, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »

Jay what video are you reffering to?

That's weird....I guess I forgot to post the URL.  Grin Let's try it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZaQInFTaw&feature=related

Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 06, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »

Do you have it? Can you post it?

I used to have it, but some fellow lost it.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1770 on: September 06, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »

Helen Schneider sings "Cuddle up". Thanks to Roland from the german message board for the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8iyaM60rE

I don't think it's very good, but interesting to hear such a rare song being covered

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1771 on: September 07, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »

I don't think this was posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyh04NibZUc

There seems to be a guy in there who worked with Brian at Goldstar. Anyone know who he is? Couldn't hear (or understand) any name

And another interview from around the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy-p1Lejfw&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:56:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 07, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »

I figured I'd shamelessly promote the video I posted. Afro

I tried to make it funny on top of being a song that isn't elsewhere on Youtube I don't think.   American Spring if you're wondering what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XLJHBG41Cg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:04:55 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 07, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »

I figured I'd shamelessly promote the video I posted. Afro

I tried to make it funny on top of being a song that isn't elsewhere on Youtube I don't think.   American Spring if you're wondering what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XLJHBG41Cg
Finally! Thank you!! I've been waiting for somebody to put up that song. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I LOVE that part where the music builds up to the "Arise" lyric. It gives me goosebumps every time.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1774 on: September 07, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »

A cover band doing "Don't Fight the Sea": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCGdfyszLo

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 186 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx