gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:46:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 186 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official BB You Tube Thread  (Read 1388884 times)
MBE
« Reply #1650 on: July 26, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »

Here is one for MBE to check out. Take a look at the picture at around 2:37, I think. Brian has long hair, looks thin, but has a mustache and a beard. Does anybody know what year it's from? I think he was clean shaven untill 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hka63YG4z0

Looks like 1972 to me. Check out the Badman book on page 307 - looks very similar to me, most definitely from roughly the same time frame.
It may be the same photo session. There is a foreign picture sleeve that looks like the same day that shows the five o clock shadow.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1RyZGVkNmN6RStGa1E9PQ
So no he really didn't have a full beard, I think he just hadn't shaved that day. After all they are in the home studio.
That is a cool picture. I never saw it before and it's one of the few that show Brian in transition. Meaning his hair is longer, he's a tad bigger then during the Sunflower era (though not too heavy). It's interesting as it's the last photo session of the five originals before Brian really declined.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:28:05 PM by MBE » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »

To be honest it kind of sucks the life out of the original recording cause there is so much feeling in the original recording. But it was interesting to hear his "version" and I appreciate the fact that he went to all that effort - just not really to my liking.
True, but it gives you an idea of how a 1985 version would have sounded. As good as Oh Lord is, maybe it's a good thing that it didn't end up on the same album as songs like California Calling and Male Ego.

Was there ever a rough version of Oh Lord recorded in '85 with Steve Levine?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:31 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCwQVPCzSc

"Gettin' Hungry" as I had never heard it before.  3D
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »

Finally!!! Someone posted the "timeless" and magnificent "Steamboat" from "Holland"!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJv1nmJEHM

This and "Funky Pretty" are my 2 favorites off this remarkable LP.

Big Bri (NS9144)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 27, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »

Has 'Cool Cool Water' on Mike Douglas made it back up on youtube?

To be honest it kind of sucks the life out of the original recording cause there is so much feeling in the original recording. But it was interesting to hear his "version" and I appreciate the fact that he went to all that effort - just not really to my liking.
True, but it gives you an idea of how a 1985 version would have sounded. As good as Oh Lord is, maybe it's a good thing that it didn't end up on the same album as songs like California Calling and Male Ego.

Was there ever a rough version of Oh Lord recorded in '85 with Steve Levine?

Apparently so, god help us

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 27, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »

Here is one for MBE to check out. Take a look at the picture at around 2:37, I think. Brian has long hair, looks thin, but has a mustache and a beard. Does anybody know what year it's from? I think he was clean shaven untill 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hka63YG4z0

Looks like 1972 to me. Check out the Badman book on page 307 - looks very similar to me, most definitely from roughly the same time frame.
It may be the same photo session. There is a foreign picture sleeve that looks like the same day that shows the five o clock shadow.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1RyZGVkNmN6RStGa1E9PQ
So no he really didn't have a full beard, I think he just hadn't shaved that day. After all they are in the home studio.
That is a cool picture. I never saw it before and it's one of the few that show Brian in transition. Meaning his hair is longer, he's a tad bigger then during the Sunflower era (though not too heavy). It's interesting as it's the last photo session of the five originals before Brian really declined.
hey, thanks a bunch for that picture! I've never seen it before. Why is it that the coolest pictures are only issued on the most obscure LP's? The same thing happened with Jimi Hendrix and The Who. Oddly enough, out of everybody in that photo, Al Jardine looks the worst!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #1656 on: July 27, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »

I put the new 1972 one in the picture thread. Interesting session.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 28, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »

Someone just posted "This Whole World," from 1988; from what I hear was a very good summer tour; Carl's final chorus is great, sung with lots of gusto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M85Fm21b5iY

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 28, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »

Mike & Bruce Cape Cod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okeh-P59mn8
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 28, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »

Mike & Bruce  - So Young South Shore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCVpVs5yME&feature=channel_page
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »

Woah, never knew they did "So Young," and so beautifully. They sure didn't do that when I saw them Angry

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 28, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »

On that "Steamboat" link, I noticed that someone post the BBs cover of "Michael Row The Boat Ashore": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfaehFF4To&feature=related. Now how did that not make 15 Big Ones, comparing to most of the covers on there? It's like Brian Wilson doing a "Sloop John B" styled cover in the 70s, with all the 70s quirks one expects from Brian.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:31 AM »

Someone just posted "This Whole World," from 1988; from what I hear was a very good summer tour; Carl's final chorus is great, sung with lots of gusto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M85Fm21b5iY

This was great. Brian wasn't there on that tour, was he?
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 29, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

Country Air live, from around 67 or 68 maybe?  Sounds a little under-rehearsed, but gathers momentum as it goes along.  What a thrill to hear this live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKAjVnugfg&feature=related

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: July 29, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »

I don't think they started playing Country Air live until 1970.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1665 on: July 30, 2009, 01:45:27 AM »

That's from the Big Sur concert in 1970.  Shame there's some glitches with the audio channels on that song.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1666 on: July 30, 2009, 03:45:31 AM »

I don't think they started playing Country Air live until 1970.

No, there's a version from '67.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: July 30, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »

Summer Lovin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPIa6ZUmWY&feature=channel

Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: July 30, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »

I've got a request. It may have been posted in here, but there are way too many pages to go through. There was/is a video on YouTube of Marilyn reading a letter that Brian wrote her once. Anyone know where that is? It's pretty sweet, I just can't seem to find it. I think it also included some footage of their wedding where Brian picks her up.

It would be much appreciated if someone could find and post that Grin
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 30, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »

Okay, on the request trail, if anyone can help me much appreciated: Plenty of people have self-filmed Brian's latest European concerts and posted their results. One exception has been missing: The band's cover of the Little Richard classic "Keep a Knockin'" with each of the singers (lead singers Darian, Scott, Taylor and Jeff) taking a turn at the lead. Ever since I heard about it I have been dying to see it. Can someone help me??

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 30, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »

On that "Steamboat" link, I noticed that someone post the BBs cover of "Michael Row The Boat Ashore": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfaehFF4To&feature=related. Now how did that not make 15 Big Ones, comparing to most of the covers on there? It's like Brian Wilson doing a "Sloop John B" styled cover in the 70s, with all the 70s quirks one expects from Brian.

"Michael Row The Boat Ashore" is my favorite unreleased Beach Boys' track. I believe it almost surfaced on the 1977 unreleased Christmas album, though what it has to do with Christmas I haven't figured outy yet....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1671 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:07 AM »

Okay, on the request trail, if anyone can help me much appreciated: Plenty of people have self-filmed Brian's latest European concerts and posted their results. One exception has been missing: The band's cover of the Little Richard classic "Keep a Knockin'" with each of the singers (lead singers Darian, Scott, Taylor and Jeff) taking a turn at the lead. Ever since I heard about it I have been dying to see it. Can someone help me??

This is the first time I read about this. Did they really do "Keep a knockin'"? Where do you got that from?  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 31, 2009, 07:34:22 AM »

Well, I found the video about the love letter that I was talking about, but it's been removed from YouTube. Where was that from anyways?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 31, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »

This is the first time I read about this. Did they really do "Keep a knockin'"? Where do you got that from?  Shocked
Blueboarder posted the setlist for a few of the gigs. On one of them Brian insisted they do it twice---once in the first set and then in the encores.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1674 on: July 31, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »

Blueboarder posted the setlist for a few of the gigs. On one of them Brian insisted they do it twice---once in the first set and then in the encores.

Well, then I need to hear that too !!

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 186 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx