gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:21:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How well-known was The BBs' usage of recycled/vintage tracks, pre-internet?  (Read 3791 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »

I'm giving a spin to Love You right now, and it occurs to me how much the song Good Time sticks out… It's a great song, but sounds very out of left field.  

Pre-internet,  at the time of the album was released, was it a known thing to fans that this song was an outtake from many years earlier? And the same question would go for any number of other vintage/recycled tunes not recorded or written for a particular album, but released on a future album:

Mama Says, Hey Little Tomboy, When Girls Get Together... and there are certainly many more examples…

Obviously, if the original liner notes gave specific information on songs' origins, it would have been a clue. But absent that information, how well known was it, and when did this type of information start to become known?  

I would tend to think that it would possibly make a difference in the eyes of some fans, to be aware that a song was not actually written for a particular project. It can color a listener's impression.  I wouldn't think the band would necessarily want to advertise that a song on an otherwise brand new album was in fact a rejected track from another project.

Adult/Child certainly would have been a big offender of this, had it been released. Would people have known about its many vintage outtake tracks?  Obviously, it's easy to think that the intermittent sound of Brian's younger-sounding voice would've been a dead giveaway, but using that logic, people could also have had the incorrect impression that Matchpoint of Our Love was a vintage track.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:08:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:51:27 PM »

Robert Christgau's original 1979 review of L.A. Album noted that Good Timin' was "not a new song."
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:20:46 AM »

Speaking for the 1977-1980 period, I think the primary source for this kind of information, at least for me, was David Leaf, through his Pet Sounds fanzine and later his California Myth book.  We got a track by track rundown/review of Adult Child in 1977 from Pet Sounds, when it was still in the pipeline as an official release. His book listed various other tracks still in the vault as of the end of 1977.  Byron Preiss apparently had unprecedented vault access for his book, which shed more light on what was available and what was in the works for MIU.  By the time MIU came out, it was pretty obvious that Hey Little Tomboy, Come Go With Me, Peggy Sue and My Diane were at least two years old, both from all these sources and the fact that Tomboy had been on Leaf's review of Adult Child.  I remember also calling Warner / Reprise a lot in 77-78... and getting conflicting tracks lists on the next Beach Boys album (as well as conflicting titles). And Leaf also previewed what might turn up on that one.

LA Light was also given a major preview in Pet Sounds, with a lengthy Bruce Johnston interview and coverage.  From that, we knew Good Timin', Angel Come Home and Shortnin' Bread had been around in some form for a while, plus Ten Years' Harmony and the two tracks Jim Guercio wanted to include from the Smile era (Do You Like Worms as the opener and Can't Wait Too Long as the closer).  San Miguel ha surfaced by this point in fan circles.  And Lady Lyndaa had been on a short list since it started showing up in set lists in 1977. along with Country Pie.  As I've said before, many of us assumed Country Pie and Lady Lynda would be the lead off singles from LA Light.

But in summary, in those days, Pet Sounds, Marty Tabers' fanzine, occasional blurbs in RS Random notes or Circus magazine, BBFUN, and scuttlebutt on the fan circuit (I remember endless speculation from 1977 on about just when California Feelin' was going to show up on an album) were the primary sources.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »

This magazine started me down that rabbit hole. There was a fantastic article by Mr. Reum that tracked down and listed those outtakes that were known and Brian Wilson's rare outside productions. I still have my copy.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:42:35 PM by petsite » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

Good grief! Thank you, petsite, thank you, Peter Reum, for this extraordinary discography...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

You are welcome. When I purchased this in 1979, I was really taken aback. I admit that for a few weeks I just re-read this article and seemed to find something new every time. I finally got my nerve up to call Peter a year later and could not have been nicer. I am tried to stay in touch with him over the years. Also, Peter put me in touch with the great Reverend Bob Hanes. I couldn't ask for two better mentors. I am sure they probably regret giving me their phone numbers, but I enjoyed it!!! (Just Kidding, but I did bug them alot Tongue ).
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »

Thanks for posting that article. It's good to be reminded of just how much of "Beach Boys renaissance man" Peter has been (and continues to be).

Most everyone who qualified as a BB fan was hip to the status of "Good Time" when LOVE YOU came out. Remember, there was a Spring version dating from '72. David's book filled in additional details when the first edition came out in '78.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:03 PM »

There was also a tape of "landlocked" making the rounds at the end of the 70's as well. The original mix of Good Time was on there. Sure wish they had used that version on Love You and/or Made In California.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 03:39:00 AM »

Another big source of such info was Brad Elliott's late 1981 book "Surf's Up! The Beach Boys On Record 1961-1981", as well as his and others' articles in Mr. Cunningham's great fanzine "Add Some Music".
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »

What magazine was this from, petsite?  It doesn't look like Goldmine.

I've never heard of that last one, the "Bathing Beauty" single on Kapp that's said to be "an incredible simulation!"

I'm still waiting for "Life is for the Living" to show up on a legit release ;-)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »

What magazine was this from, petsite?  It doesn't look like Goldmine.

I've never heard of that last one, the "Bathing Beauty" single on Kapp that's said to be "an incredible simulation!"

I'm still waiting for "Life is for the Living" to show up on a legit release ;-)

Its from a magazine called time barrier express april/may 1979 issue #24.

Here you go. Buy it while you can!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIME-BARRIER-EXPRESS-Magazine-24-Beach-Boys-/122024666384?hash=item1c693ca510:g:o7IAAOSwuYVWmJyW
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:31:53 PM by petsite » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

There is a song listed which I've never heard anything about, "After The Game " recorded 1/64. What can anyone tell me about that song ? It's listed in Peters Discography .
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »

It is the instrumental "B" side of the Survivors' Pamela Jean 45.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »

Thank you
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx