gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul McCartney Solo  (Read 18949 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 12:43:49 AM »

I just got "Chaos And Creation In The Backyard" a few days ago. I haven't listened to it yet. To be honest, I was fairly disappointed with "Driving Rain", and I kind og gave up collecting and following his solo career. I absolutely LOVE the song "My Valentine". I would put it up against his greatest songs, like "My Love", "Let It Be", and "The Long And Winding Road".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »

I'd avoided solo McCartney stuff for years (except for Band on the Run, which was unavoidable). 

Then I bought the debut solo, which is a wonderful uncut gem. 

Much later, with a little help from feelsflow, I found myself listening to (and enjoying) Off the Ground.

I may just take it from there...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 05:10:48 AM »

I just got "Chaos And Creation In The Backyard" a few days ago. I haven't listened to it yet. To be honest, I was fairly disappointed with "Driving Rain", and I kind og gave up collecting and following his solo career. I absolutely LOVE the song "My Valentine". I would put it up against his greatest songs, like "My Love", "Let It Be", and "The Long And Winding Road".

I like about half of Driving Rain.  The opening song, Lonely Road, really had me optimistic when I first heard the album, but then it settles into MOR McCartney pretty fast.  I do like the album closer Rise the Raindrops.  I used to really like Freedom when it first came out, but I think I was still too caught up in post 9-11 Patriotism to realize that it's a pretty mediocre song.  Good message, so so execution. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 04:09:48 AM »

I've just discovered a Macca album I'd never even heard of----McCartney II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLSNrlprHcc

It sounds very cool so far! I get the impression it's not held in very high esteem though. Any thoughts, anyone?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 05:00:37 AM »

It sounds very cool so far! I get the impression it's not held in very high esteem though. Any thoughts, anyone?

Yes, I enjoy the album. I put it on when I'm looking for something a little more far out there. It's definitely an experimental album for Paul and, as far as I know, was not held in much high regard for quite a while. But in retrospect, I think people quite rightly view it as a good example of McCartney trying out some new things. I like On The Way, Waterfalls, Summer's Day Song, and One of These Days the best.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »

Yes, I enjoy the album. I put it on when I'm looking for something a little more far out there. It's definitely an experimental album for Paul and, as far as I know, was not held in much high regard for quite a while. But in retrospect, I think people quite rightly view it as a good example of McCartney trying out some new things. I like On The Way, Waterfalls, Summer's Day Song, and One of These Days the best.

Thanks, CSM. Kind of what Trans was for Neil Young then. I'll keep listening. :=)

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »

Thanks, CSM. Kind of what Trans was for Neil Young then. I'll keep listening. :=)

Yes! Great comparison.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »

I LOVE this album. First heard it down in NYC, imagine walking through the village with "On the Way" blasting in your ears. DAMN.

bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »

Love the album, since it's just Paul experimenting. "Temporary Secretary" is one of my favorite Paul deep cuts. He's played it live a few times in recent months, which is so cool.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

I've listened to quite a bit of of Paul's solo stuff over the years, but there's so much of it that I haven't heard or barely heard (mostly his 80's work and beyond). And The Beatles are my favorite band (Beach Boys are 2nd), so naturally I'd be interested in his solo career. One of the first albums I loved was his Back in the US tour CD from 2002, he sang a mix of solo and Beatles songs and it actually introduced me to The Beatles music as well.

So far, for me:

McCartney: Great debut. Yeah it's fragmentary, under-produced, and annoyingly unfinished at times (would've loved a full length version of The Lovely Linda or more lyrics to That Would Be Something). But that's part of the charm for me: even half-baked McCartney stuff was better than almost anything else out there. The melodies throughout are beautiful, and the fully realized tracks are breathtakingly brilliant (Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, Every Night, Teddy Boy). Not to mention he plays all the instruments and does most of the vocals himself. Amazingly talented man.

Ram: Good, but not as memorable as McCartney for me. I love 'Heart of the Country', gorgeous vocals, and can't get enough of the crazy 'Monkberry Moon Delight'. 'Too Many People' rocks as well, but some of the rest is solid rock 'n roll but not his best.

Redrose Speedway: I enjoy 'My Love' but haven't heard too much of the album to have an opinion yet.

Wildlife: Quite good in a 'McCartney' way: under-developed, but still flashes of brilliance of everywhere. Only he can make songs called 'Bip-Bop' and 'Mumbo' work. The title track is nice, I like 'Love is Strange' and 'Dear Friend'. Not his best and I can see why a lot of people might not like it, but I do.

Band on the Run: My favorite album of his so far, the title track, 'Jet', 'Let Me Roll It', 'Helen Wheels' and one of is best overlooked gems, 'Bluebird, which is hauntingly beautiful. The lyrics are a little weak at times, but I can't criticize his melodic sense, or his singing and instrumental chops. Brilliant.

I've heard a lot of his other solo songs as well from say 'Back to the Egg', 'Venus and Mars' and 'McCartney II', plus his more recent stuff, but I want to listen to the actual albums again before I start forming my opinions. I think overall I enjoy Paul's solo career the most, but I think John at his best was even better. The thing is that Paul was more prolific, the guy has recorded music basically non-stop since like the late 50's. :D So naturally he has 'more' songs I like simply because he recorded more, but he also has 'more' songs that I don't like than John as a result as well. Hmm. I'll have to think about this. As for George, All Things Must Pass is brilliant, and I heard Living in the Material World but wasn't too impressed, which sorta turned me off to listening to anymore albums of his, but I'll have to give his other work a chance soon.
KDS
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »

Paul was more prolific, but I think John and George have more quality than quantity in their solo catalogs. 

I think Paul has a lot of great songs in his post Wings catalog, but many of the albums are a little inconsistent.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 08:23:39 AM »

I think Paul's Beatles work gets in the way a lot. Wild life on its own would be an alright album but in light of what he did as a beatle it just seems too lightweight and some of his other stuff also feels that way to me (just my opinion)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »

Little Lamb Dragonfly is Paul's best solo track. Fite me.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »

Paul was more prolific, but I think John and George have more quality than quantity in their solo catalogs. 

I think Paul has a lot of great songs in his post Wings catalog, but many of the albums are a little inconsistent.
Yeah, you have to sort through a lot of rubbish to find the occasional gem like Hope of Deliverance or My Brave Face. All of the ex-Beatles did pretty well in the first half of the 70's, though. All of them were having hit singles, and turning out quality material, despite the occasional lapses like Some Time in NYC. I hear McCartney as Paul's own version of a Wild Honey type album. Wildlife also has a similar vibe. So I guess that would make Ram his Sunflower? Or maybe that honor belongs to Red Rose Speedway?
KDS
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »

Yeah, you have to sort through a lot of rubbish to find the occasional gem like Hope of Deliverance or My Brave Face. All of the ex-Beatles did pretty well in the first half of the 70's, though. All of them were having hit singles, and turning out quality material, despite the occasional lapses like Some Time in NYC. I hear McCartney as Paul's own version of a Wild Honey type album. Wildlife also has a similar vibe. So I guess that would make Ram his Sunflower? Or maybe that honor belongs to Red Rose Speedway?

Yeah, Hope of Deliverance and My Brave Face are great. 

One McCartney song that nobody talks about is the ten minute Rinse the Raindrops at the end of the Driving Rain album.  I found that song interested as it's Paul and his band having some fun, and he's kinda breaking away from the "paint by numbers Paul" songs he usually does. 
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24095.msg604632.html#msg604632
^peerke, that's a hell of a compilation. Well done!

I've been on a solo Beatles kick and decided to make a McCartney playlist. I wanted to focus on lesser known songs that spanned his later career (1976-2005) that were either personal favorites of mine or songs that were newer to me (that I liked) and fit the flow/production of the playlist. I also wanted it to be relatively short, around 30-35 minutes. I'm typically not a fan of long songs or albums. Anyway, just a playlist that I enjoy listening to...

1. I've Had Enough                 (London Town)
2. Jenny Wren                        (Chaos And Creation In The Backyard)
3. About You                          (Driving Rain)
4. I'm Carrying                       (London Town)
5. Angry                                 (Press To Play)
6. She's My Baby                     (Wings At The Speed Of Sound)
7. After The Ball/Million Miles    (Back To The Egg)
8. Your Loving Flame               (Driving Rain)
9. Beware My Love                  (Wings At The Speed Of Sound)

I LOVE After The Ball/Million Miles! Probably my favorite McCartney deep cut.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 08:42:10 PM »

One Of These Days from McCartney II is probably my favorite solo Macca track.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »

https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blogs/news/paul-to-release-all-new-double-side-single

PAUL McCARTNEY TO RELEASE ALL-NEW DOUBLE A-SIDE SINGLE
'I DON’T KNOW'/'COME ON TO ME'
AVAILABLE WEDNESDAY 20th JUNE on CAPITOL RECORDS

Following a whirlwind week that saw his Instagram presence rebooted as he played one of the most intimate gigs of his storied career, Paul McCartney is done keeping the world in suspense: 'I Don’t Know' and 'Come On To Me', will be released tomorrow as a double A-Side single.

The first tastes of Paul’s brand new studio album due out later this year on Capitol Records, the two A-sides are polar opposites: 'I Don’t Know' being a plaintive, soul-soothing ballad as only Paul can deliver, and 'Come On To Me' a raucous stomper that fans that first spark of chemistry into a rocking blaze.

Worldwide speculation about a new Paul McCartney album instantly reached fever pitch as his Instagram account whited out last week—only to ratchet higher as Paul was spotted taking selfies at landmarks in Liverpool the same day. The evening’s climactic event was a surprise gig at the tiny Liverpool Philharmonic Pub, during which 'Come On To Me' made its live debut alongside a set of classics spanning Paul’s career.

Paul’s new album is slated for fall 2018 release on Capitol Records. Further details will be announced shortly.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:33:27 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »

Thanks for some actual news, Watamushi!

I had been checking for an announcement every few hours for the last week or so. Dang, we gotta wait until the fall for the album.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:40 PM »

Would be nice if they decide to install these songs to youtube.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »

Would be nice if they decide to install these songs to youtube.

Come On To Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJLrtFY7Ds

I Don't Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aef2eV7GmQw

This is what I had to say about it in another thread...

I like both songs, but I prefer Come On To Me. When I initially heard Paul's live performance last week, I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. When he repeated that refrain of sorts, "If you come on to me, will I come on to you? If you come on to me, will I come on to you?", it just struck me as lazy Paul songwriting which is a pet peeve of mine throughout his solo career. Thankfully, listening to the studio version, I think it works well enough. Beyond that, I love the clean production and I think Paul's vocals are pretty good. They sound more organic, than the highly processed vocals on I Don't Know. I see people talking about how much I Don't Know reminds them of Chaos & Creation. I can see that from a backing track production standpoint, and that it's a piano driven song, but I don't think the song itself is quite up to that standard, the vocal performance certainly isn't, and the production of the vocals sounds straight out of Memory Almost Full (e.g. See Your Sunshine). The vocal production on I Don't Know alone would take me out of Chaos. I like the song and I think it holds its own very well among McCartney's recent material, but I consider Chaos one of McCartney's best albums. I only rank Ram, Band On The Run, and Venus & Mars higher. On both songs, I love Paul's bass playing and especially the sound of his bass! He never fails in that regard. The more I listen to Come On To Me, the more I like it. I'll probably rank it among his best songs since 2000. It's got quite a bit of that "Electric Arguments" feel, which I'm a fan of (especially the raucous harmony vocals). It's got that stompin', percussive feel that Paul uses on songs like Dance Tonight, Light From Your Lighthouse, and Get Me Out Of Here. I also really enjoyed the guitar/horns break.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:08:06 PM by B.E. » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

What does it mean these days when an artist releases a single? And in particular, a "double A sided single"? It's just a download, right? There's no physical single, whether it be a vinyl 45, a cassette or cd single.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 05:30:13 PM »

This was well done...

Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

After watching this I checked the US iTunes charts and Paul's got 5 songs in the top 200 right now.

-Come On To Me (#34)
-Let It Be (#59)
-I Don't Know (#80)
-Blackbird (#104)
-Hey Jude (#144)

After all these years people are still discovering the Beatles!  Smiley

Edit #1: and climbing! 11:15pm est 6/22

-Come On To Me (#29)
-Let It Be (#46)
-I Don't Know (#73)
-Blackbird (#89)
-Hey Jude (#124)
-Here Comes The Sun (#193) ?
-Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (#195)

Edit #2: and climbing still! 10:30am est 6/24

-Come On To Me (#15)
-Let It Be (#29)
-I Don't Know (#69)
-Blackbird (#71)
-Hey Jude (#85)
-Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (#132)
-Here Comes The Sun (#140) ?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:42:25 AM by B.E. » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2018, 06:05:01 PM »

What does it mean these days when an artist releases a single? And in particular, a "double A sided single"? It's just a download, right? There's no physical single, whether it be a vinyl 45, a cassette or cd single.

Calling I Don't Know/Come On To Me a "double A sided single" is gimmicky, but it's just marketing. I'm not aware of a vinyl release. I guess, he's releasing two songs (in effect, two singles) simultaneously to promote a new album, so, why not? While I'm not sold on the "double A sided single" marketing angle, I do think releasing digital singles is just as legitimate as any other format. They're just less important from a consumer standpoint sometimes, because you can often just download any song off an album.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:13:44 PM by B.E. » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »

Calling I Don't Know/Come On To Me a "double A sided single" is gimmicky, but it's just marketing. I'm not aware of a vinyl release. I guess, he's releasing two songs (in effect, two singles) simultaneously to promote a new album, so, why not? While I'm not sold on the "double A sided single" marketing angle, I do think releasing digital singles is just as legitimate as any other format. They're just less important from a consumer standpoint sometimes, because you can often just download any song off an album.
Yeah, that's why it annoys me when people talk about their new "singles". Every freaking song on the album is  a single by that definition.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx