gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:56:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul McCartney Solo  (Read 18943 times)
KDS
« on: June 22, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »

Lonely Summer lamented the fact that the Henry McCullough tribute thread turned into a thread about Paul's post Beatles career. 

I found the Paul discussion to be interesting, so I decided to start a thread just on him. 

Great frankly, I've always thought Paul needed a collaborator.  He had that with John during The Beatles' early run.  But, especially in the last 25-30 years, it's really been evident in his solo career.

I would definitely rank Paul's solo catalog behind John and George.  With Paul's catalog, it's more about quantity than quality. 

On the plus side, we're extremely lucky that Paul still tours.  And even more lucky that most of his set is filled with Beatles and Wings songs. 

And, that thing he did with Kanye West and Rhianna.....what was he thinking?  Paul, you were 1/4 of the greatest rock band that ever existed and 1/2 of the greatest songwriting duo of the 20th Century.  You're a legend. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

I have probably talked about this on here before but McCartney is my favourite solo Beatle. I think that Lennon made some great music in the 70s and I think that All Things Must Pass is a wonderful album but I think McCartney took a few more chances and I can appreciate the sense of adventurism I get from his music. I think it is worth noting that when he put out McCartney and Ram, a lot of "in" people, including the other three Beatles, hated them, particularly Ram. I think it's because they couldn't quite grasp what he was doing because what he was doing was so different. Lennon for example said that he found the music on the self-titled album surprising and it makes sense - it was very different from the kind of thing that he was doing in The Beatles. In retrospect it doesn't seem that different, but I think in 1971, McCartney was taking some pretty big risks.

I think he managed to capture the exuberance of The Beatles that John and George's material lacked. With all The Beatles albums there is a sense of fun, even at it's most serious and innovative. And I see that throughout all of Paul's career. Has his music been stellar in the last 30 years? No but neither has the music of most artists from that era. I think that he still does some interesting things though.

As for a collaborator, perhaps. The thing is that The Beatles were always greater than the sum of their parts even though the parts on their own were still quite fantastic. That being said, the almost magical thing about the band was their strength together and it was a strength that none of them were able to find, professionally, with anyone else. Paul has had collaborators in his solo years (Eric Stewart, Elvis Costello) and I'm not entirely sure it produced anything better than it might have had McCartney just gone at it alone. I think if McCartney could work properly with anyone, it would be with an equal. And the fact is, there are very few people who are equal to his talents.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »

Lonely Summer lamented the fact that the Henry McCullough tribute thread turned into a thread about Paul's post Beatles career.  

I found the Paul discussion to be interesting, so I decided to start a thread just on him.  

Great frankly, I've always thought Paul needed a collaborator.  He had that with John during The Beatles' early run.  But, especially in the last 25-30 years, it's really been evident in his solo career.

I would definitely rank Paul's solo catalog behind John and George.  With Paul's catalog, it's more about quantity than quality.  

On the plus side, we're extremely lucky that Paul still tours.  And even more lucky that most of his set is filled with Beatles and Wings songs.  

And, that thing he did with Kanye West and Rhianna.....what was he thinking?  Paul, you were 1/4 of the greatest rock band that ever existed and 1/2 of the greatest songwriting duo of the 20th Century.  You're a legend.  

I think the point is to keep creating. I'd rather have 10 McCartney albums with 2-3 good songs per album than waiting a decade between albums.

Paul does a bunch of different stuff, and on occasion it's actual art and interesting and engaging (the Fireman "Electric Arguments" album), and sometimes its self indulgent (Liverpool Sound Collage), and sometimes it's just a case of trying to stay relevant (the Kanye thing; and in that case I'm skeptical as to how many Kanye fans went out and starting tracking down Paul's solo catalog).

I think Lennon and Harrison (and Starr) all had spotty solo bits. They all had pretty strong runs through 1973. I'd say "Ram" and "Band on the Run" are as strong and arguably stronger and more consistent than any of Lennon's or Harrison's albums.

If you ignore the "Apple Jam" part of "All Things Must Pass", it's obviously a stunner with little filler. "Living in the Material World" has some great stuff and some blah stuff. "Dark Horse" and "Extra Texture" have some moments, and probably deserve occasional reappraisals, but are pretty dire in spots.

Lennon's stuff was a bit more spotty, but "Plastic Ono Band" and "Imagine" are indispensable. "Mind Games" and "Walls and Bridges" very much remind me of a mid-level McCartney album, with some amazing stuff, some strong album tracks, and some dreck filler. "Sometime in New York City" has a couple good ones, but otherwise is rather tedious.

I think Harrison's 1976-1982 output is probably stronger than his early 70s. The 1979 self-titled album is an overlooked gem, with Harrison knocking out some melodic, catchy stuff. That sort of stuff is also sprinkled throughout "Somewhere in England" and "Gone Troppo." "Cloud Nine" might be the best solo Beatles release between the mid-late 70s and the 90s.

McCartney just churned out a lot more stuff, but there's a bunch of great stuff all through it. He has all sorts of crazy hidden gems. I used to loathe "Press to Play" but love a good hunk of it now.

If I had to take one solo catalog on a desert island, I'd probably take McCartney's. But I also put "All Things Must Pass", "Cloud Nine", and "Brainwashed" all in my top 10 and perhaps Top 7 or 8 solo Beatles albums.

I think "Brainwashed" in particular has been hugely overlooked in the last decade-plus. A half dozen or so stunning masterpieces are on that one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:57:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »

HJ,

I'm going to respectfully disagree in that I'd prefer a really good album a decade rather than an album every couple years with 2-3 good songs. 

I also wanted to say I'm a huge fan of George's Brainwashed album.  I think George has the best solo album of the 70s (ATMP), 80s (Cloud Nine), and 2000s (Brainwashed).  Paul might have my 90s favorite with Flaming Pie.

Not trying to take away what Paul has done (love s/t, Ram, BOTR).  But, I think the sheer volume of his work, and the inconsistent quality of his albums over the past 30 years puts him behind John and George for me. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »

I agree more with the thought of putting out a few great albums than cranking them out year after year. It's really hard to compare John's solo career with the others because he was taken from us so early on, and just before that, he'd had a 5 year gap between albums. It's hard to tell what he might have come up with in the last 30+ years. George had some long breaks between albums, too, but I think he was the most consistent in the quality of his work. The 1976-1982 Dark Horse albums have been unfairly overlooked for the most part; in a way, the worst thing George could do to start off his solo career was produce a majestic, 3 record set, because everything else he did ended up being compared to it. ATMP was his big statement, with a big sound, and it came packaged in a big box. The albums that came after may not have been as BIG, but they all contained some wonderful music. Dark Horse suffers because it was rushed and because George's voice was shot; Extra Texture sounds better, but it is so downbeat, I find it kind of a depressing listen. The George Harrison album from 1979 sounds much happier, and he probably was - newly remarried, with a baby in the family. Gone Troppo is often dismissed because it didn't sell, but that album also sounds very happy to me. Some great melodies there.
The biggest surprise of the ex-Beatles, though, is that Ringo has been making some of his best music in the last 25 years, starting with the 1992 album Time Takes Time. Not a bad song on there, still blows my mind that it failed to chart at all. The key to his success seems to be in picking the right collaborators - something Paul should take note of.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »

I agree more with the thought of putting out a few great albums than cranking them out year after year. It's really hard to compare John's solo career with the others because he was taken from us so early on, and just before that, he'd had a 5 year gap between albums. It's hard to tell what he might have come up with in the last 30+ years. George had some long breaks between albums, too, but I think he was the most consistent in the quality of his work. The 1976-1982 Dark Horse albums have been unfairly overlooked for the most part; in a way, the worst thing George could do to start off his solo career was produce a majestic, 3 record set, because everything else he did ended up being compared to it. ATMP was his big statement, with a big sound, and it came packaged in a big box. The albums that came after may not have been as BIG, but they all contained some wonderful music. Dark Horse suffers because it was rushed and because George's voice was shot; Extra Texture sounds better, but it is so downbeat, I find it kind of a depressing listen. The George Harrison album from 1979 sounds much happier, and he probably was - newly remarried, with a baby in the family. Gone Troppo is often dismissed because it didn't sell, but that album also sounds very happy to me. Some great melodies there.
The biggest surprise of the ex-Beatles, though, is that Ringo has been making some of his best music in the last 25 years, starting with the 1992 album Time Takes Time. Not a bad song on there, still blows my mind that it failed to chart at all. The key to his success seems to be in picking the right collaborators - something Paul should take note of.

I haven't listened to them in awhile, but I remember Ringo's 1998 album Vertical Man and his 2003 (?) album Ringo Rama were pretty good.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »

Regarding McCartney churning albums out, I should clarify my opinion in that I don't feel as though McCartney just churned out bad albums. I also think the idea of putting less albums out and then the resulting eventual album being *better* because of that sounds good in theory, but isn’t too realistic. So I’m kind of blowing my own hypothetical theory alluded to above.

Lennon took five years off, and we got half of a solid but not amazing album in “Double Fantasy” (let’s even throw in the “Milk and Honey” stuff and call it one full solid album). He didn’t record some better songs that he had demo’ed in the previous half decade, and did record a few songs that were mediocre (“Cleanup Time” is kind of forgettable, a few of the “Milk and Honey” songs aren’t that great).

It’s not like if McCartney had taken the 80s off, then 1989’s “Flowers in the Dirt” would have been jam-packed with the best stuff from all the other albums from the 80s.

Ironically, while I felt for some time that “Flaming Pie” was one of perhaps McCartney’s top 5 albums, it has slid a bit in my mind in the last decade or so. There is some top-notch, brilliant stuff on it (“Somedays”), and some excellent “album tracks” like “Souvenir”, and I’d give anything to see him work with Jeff Lynne again. But there are a few totally inane tracks on that one, including “Used to be Bad”, “If You Wanna”, and “Really Love You.”

I don’t think any of Paul, George, or John have an immensely stronger album catalog than any of each other, relative to the size of each of their respective catalogs. I’m not sure McCartney ever did anything as uninteresting as “Sometime in NYC” or “Extra Texture”, but I also think “Cloud Nine” and “Brainwashed” are stronger (not perfect, but stronger overall) than any particular album of McCartney’s last 20-25 years. I’d probably say about ¾ to 4/5 of “Flaming Pie” or perhaps “Chaos and Creation” stand up pretty well. But between 1987 and 2002, McCartney released more than two album’s worth of good songs, so I’m not prepared to say he should have only done an album in 1987 and then 2002 like Harrison did.

I’d probably put “Back to the Egg” or even “McCartney II” up against “Double Fantasy”, and I’d certainly take “Band on the Run” over “Mind Games” or “Walls and Bridges”, and I’d take “Venus and Mars” over Lennon’s “Rock and Roll.” Thankfully, we have all of it to enjoy of course.

Ringo has had a few strong runs. His output up to 1973 was pretty strong. 1992’s “Time Takes Time” is pretty strong. 1998’s “Vertical Man” is good too, but then I eventually got tired of Mark Hudson’s production and schtick. All those subsequent albums all started sounding the same, “Ringo Rama”, “Choose Love”, “Liverpool 8.” His post-Hudson stuff has been pretty unmemorable. I still haven’t picked up his most recent “Postcards” album; I think it’s the only solo Beatles album not in my collection currently. While 1998’s “What in the World” with McCartney playing bass and doing backing vocals was brilliant, his turn with Ringo on “Walk With You” from “Y Not” was dreadful.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »

I haven't listened to them in awhile, but I remember Ringo's 1998 album Vertical Man and his 2003 (?) album Ringo Rama were pretty good.
Vertican Man is a great album; there's also a Storytellers disc from around the same time where Ringo and the Roundheads play a few of the VM songs, and some of the old classics; both worth owning. I hadn't listened to Ringo Rama in a few years, but I've got it in line for the cd player now. Yes, there is always a line of cd's and records waiting to get played; just not enough hours in the day to listen to everything that I like.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »

I agree with the idea that it's better to have longer delays between albums to keep quality than put out something every 10 months that is half baked like wild life, red rose speedway or London Town. Actually Paul's stock has risen in the age of iTunes because you can now easily cherry pick the best tracks of his career. But I am old enough to recall the days before when you actually had to buy a whole album and often with McCartney you ended up only liking 2 tracks on it
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »

Maybe I have terrible taste but I think Red Rose Speedway is a great album. Apart from the atrocious "Loup," I think it's pretty fantastic top to bottom.

And not to be purposefully contrary but I really appreciate the workman approach to art - the artist who puts out something every year and whether it's good or not, it's a reflection of where the artist is at at the time and because of that it has value.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »

I agree with the idea that it's better to have longer delays between albums to keep quality than put out something every 10 months that is half baked like wild life, red rose speedway or London Town. Actually Paul's stock has risen in the age of iTunes because you can now easily cherry pick the best tracks of his career. But I am old enough to recall the days before when you actually had to buy a whole album and often with McCartney you ended up only liking 2 tracks on it
I like all 3 albums listed above. I think Wildlife in particular is misunderstood. People think of the Wings albums as Paul solo; no, it was a real band, even if the Beatle in the band dominated it all. So Wildlife is the first recordings of a group just getting to know each other. It doesn't help that the keyboard player barely knows her way around the instrument, and that the first two songs barely qualify as songs. But I do like the overall sound of the disc; Wildlife is to Wings career what McCartney - the first solo album - was to Paul's career. Both have a charmingly homemade quality about them. Red Rose Speedway is much more professional sounding, and while lyrics are mostly throwaways, the tunes are all solid enough. Some good playing by Henry McCullough and Denny Laine on guitar. Loop is the only real dog on the album. What's not to like about London Town? Okay, it doesn't rock very hard, but that doesn't make it worthless.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »

I remember really liking Paul's Driving Rain album when I first heard it.  But I was also getting primed to see him live for the first time.  Now, other than Lonely Road and Rinse the Raindrops, that album doesn't do anything for me. 

I found both Chaos and Creation and Memory Almost Full to be rather dull.  I really haven't bought a new Paul album since. 

I wouldn't mind a nice solid collection of solo only (no Wings or Beatles) Paul music. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:28:10 AM »

I'm not sure I ever heard all of Driving Rain but I do think that Heather is a great song. I think a lot of people get turned off of it because of its protagonist but to me it sounds like classic McCartney.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »

I'm not sure I ever heard all of Driving Rain but I do think that Heather is a great song. I think a lot of people get turned off of it because of its protagonist but to me it sounds like classic McCartney.

"Heather" is quite good musically, and he should have stuck to what about 4/5 of the song is, which is an instrumental. The reference to the rather reviled Heather is difficult for some fans, but the rest of the lyrics at that end bit aren't too hot either, so I'd love to have a full instrumental mix.

The "Driving Rain" album has some pluses and minuses. I think some of the understated stuff like "I Do" and "Your Way" is cool. "Magic" has great bass work, underneath a kind of bland song. "Your Loving Flame" is classic melodic McCartney ballad mode, but has some dire lyrics and is kind of overproduced. "Lonely Road" stretches the limits of what is a palatable "live, real, rough" Paul vocal. "From a Lover to a Friend" is a good ballad as well. I think "About You" is one of his last great real "rock" songs. Even "Tiny Bubble" is good musically, but again awful production and bad lyrics. "Driving Rain" is a solid pop song, but awful, awful lyrics especially in the chorus.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »

"Heather" is quite good musically, and he should have stuck to what about 4/5 of the song is, which is an instrumental. The reference to the rather reviled Heather is difficult for some fans, but the rest of the lyrics at that end bit aren't too hot either, so I'd love to have a full instrumental mix.

Well, it's no Eleanor Rigby, but I don't mind the lyrics. I think that with the vocal part at the end, the song has a rather unique structure which I really enjoy - almost like The Beatles' own The End. And I think the melody is quite nice too. But I agree, the instrumental part is great.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

I remember really liking Paul's Driving Rain album when I first heard it.  But I was also getting primed to see him live for the first time.  Now, other than Lonely Road and Rinse the Raindrops, that album doesn't do anything for me. 

I found both Chaos and Creation and Memory Almost Full to be rather dull.  I really haven't bought a new Paul album since. 

I wouldn't mind a nice solid collection of solo only (no Wings or Beatles) Paul music. 
That's what Pure McCartney should be, but he can't resist dipping into the Wings catalog - probably because that's where the majority of his post-Beatles hits are.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »

I recently gave a few of his classical albums (Ocean's Kingdom, Liverpool Oratorio, etc.) a listen, they're kind of dull to me. But if you have a chance, listen to "Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest", which was his first Fireman album (no vocal and his name is no where to be found) it's some cool stuff.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 04:29:27 AM »

Many praise John when he never wrote song of "Jet" caliber. 3D Paul with band did it in 2003 in St. Petersburg/Moscow. It's the 1st solo song by a Beatle I heard. Even before ubiquitous "Imagine". Since then, listened to many albums after Beatles disbanded. "Jet" still is the best. For that reason alone, Paul is coolest. 3D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:30:52 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 02:13:14 AM »

I'm no expert on his solo material but he has a number of great songs, IMO.

Great frankly, I've always thought Paul needed a collaborator.  He had that with John during The Beatles' early run.  But, especially in the last 25-30 years, it's really been evident in his solo career.

I would definitely rank Paul's solo catalog behind John and George.  With Paul's catalog, it's more about quantity than quality. 

On the plus side, we're extremely lucky that Paul still tours.  And even more lucky that most of his set is filled with Beatles and Wings songs. 

And, that thing he did with Kanye West and Rhianna.....what was he thinking?  Paul, you were 1/4 of the greatest rock band that ever existed and 1/2 of the greatest songwriting duo of the 20th Century.  You're a legend. 

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »

Paul was my favorite Beatle, too. I never bought any of the others work apart from The Ringo album which was was very decent.

One that often slips through the net is the album Paul wrote and produced with his brother Mike, McGear.

How I loved it back in the day especially this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LlBuOzm-4

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »

I'm no expert on his solo material but he has a number of great songs, IMO.

I agree 100% that Paul had a lot of great songs post Beatles, but IMO, the vast majority of them were released in the 1970s.  He had some in the 1980s too, but I think it's kind of slim pickins after 1989 or so.  There's a few gems in there.  1997's Flaming Pie was a good overall album.  It was consistent, but didn't yield many great songs IMO.  His releases since then have not had the same consistency. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »

There are quite a few songs from Chaos and Creation which I enjoy as  much as anything from Wings.
KDS
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »

There are quite a few songs from Chaos and Creation which I enjoy as  much as anything from Wings.

I've heard so many people praise that album, but I couldn't get into it.  I actually liked Driving Rain better.  C&C is sitting on a shelf.  Maybe I'll give it another chance someday. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 10:07:24 PM »

I heard some of Flaming Pie and wasn't impressed; Run Devil Run had some good songs - no, some great songs on it - but there was no way he could top the originals by Chuck Berry, Johnny Burnette, Rick Nelson or Elvis Presley. Paul still comes up with some good songs occasionally, but most of it sounds fairly inspired. Ironically, some of the stuff that was savaged by the critics back in the day is now looked upon very fondly. I see Ram at the top of many fans lists. McCartney is accepted for what it was meant to be - a low key collection of songs mostly recorded at home. Back then, it seemed that Paul was a well of musical ideas that never ran dry. It took a lot of courage for him to start a new band after the Beatles, and NOT play any Beatles songs on their early tours.
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 11:53:35 PM »

Here's a compilation I made a few years for a made who said he didn't care for Macca.
After listening to it all he declared it was the greatest gift he ever received.

Disk  1 ::  1970-1973

Paul McCartney
1. The Lovely Linda :: McCartney - 4/70
2. Every Night  :: McCartney - 4/70
3. Junk  :: McCartney - 4/70
4. Maybe I’m Amazed  :: McCartney - 4/70
Paul and Linda McCartney
5. Another Day :: single - 2/71
6. Too Many People :: Ram - 5/71
7. Heart of The Country  :: Ram - 5/71
8. Eat At Home  :: Ram - 5/71
9. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey  :: Ram - 5/71