gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
652949 Posts in 26089 Topics by 3718 Members - Latest Member: CarlWilsonfan101 December 14, 2019, 03:54:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 109807 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »

Great to see Rocker keeping up the BB Magazine Scans topic after so many of the earlier scans went missing.

Vielen dank!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
I'm Grass and You're a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 13, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »

Just got back after a week spent in the beautiful Russian city of St. Petersburg. What a place! Roll Eyes

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 13, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »

Yes, an amazing city. The Hermitage was incredible!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 14, 2019, 07:32:47 AM »

Yes, an amazing city. The Hermitage was incredible!

Incredibly perhaps, we never visited The Hermitage--too little time and so much else to see. We did visit a fantastic Ilya Repin exhibition at the Russian Museum though.

Perhaps the most extraordinary museum we visited was The State Museum of the Political History of Russia. That really was an eye-opener! Shocked 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 16, 2019, 01:27:48 AM »

I should add that we attended a performance of a relatively obscure Prokofiev opera, Betrothal in a Monastery, at the Mariinsky Theatre.

A never-to-be-forgotten experience--not least because of the caviar on toast during the second interval!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »

When we were in St. Petersburg the week before last I took this picture of a plaque on the wall at Ulitsa Marata 9, where one of my idols, the composer Dimitri Shostakovich, lived from 1914 to 1933:

And then we ate Borscht at a brilliant restaurant almost next door...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 30, 2019, 05:49:18 AM »

Dear browser, it's very kind of you to look in here but really you would be better off checking out this splendid topic:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26762.msg654743.html#msg654743

If you only have time in your busy life for a few tracks, scroll down through the SoundCloud page linked in the OP to "Poro", "Il pastor", "Orlando", "Ariodante" and "Messiah". But it's all wonderful stuff.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 09, 2019, 03:45:31 AM »

This is the topic that requires your attention right now. I hope more folks dive in there with ideas and opinions to help get this labour of love off the ground!

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26761.0.html

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 19, 2019, 03:18:11 AM »

Folks, I'm taking a sabbatical from forum activity. It became patently clear today that my priorities right now are all wrong.

My apologies, particularly to aeijtzsche, whose recent posts have been a constant source of inspiration and enlightenment.

♩♬🐸 Sorry Entertainer ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Hi...how are you? ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: November 19, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »

Gotta do what you gotta do. I'd been doing the same thing lately although I plan to become more active here shortly

RIP Daniel Dale Johnston ( 1961-2019)

"I've never heard such ear-pleasing screams before!"

"I’d rather die than owe the hospital Till I get old/ I get adrenalin straight to the heart/ like Uma Thurman overdosing kick-start/ Anaphylactic and super hypocondriactic "

^ This fake quote brought to you by "Oyster Pudding™ ....the Pudding with the Pearl inside!"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 19, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »

Folks, I'm taking a sabbatical from forum activity. It became patently clear today that my priorities right now are all wrong.

My apologies, particularly to aeijtzsche, whose recent posts have been a constant source of inspiration and enlightenment.

I have taken much needed hiatuses from the forum and they've been a breath of much needed fresh air. It's funny, sometimes the internet can slowly/sneakily start to consume little moments of your life that you'll never get back...a long break from it can really help give you perspective on what is really important in one's life.

That being said, we will definitely miss you around here! You've always been a constant source of positivity especially when I or others brought negativity here. Be sure to keep your eyes and ears out for the upcoming boxset!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

The Beach Boys legacy is still being mortared to this day...it has a solid and unbreakable foundation of incredible songs that tower above most bands, yet some bricks are more brittle and ugly than others (even some bricks put down more recently)...thus is the nature of any entity that continues to exist. You are not defined solely by your good achievements in life, you're also defined by those unpleasant moments too. This law of life, thankfully, helps keep us all in check.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 27, 2019, 01:41:14 AM »

Thanks, Billy and rab for the kind words. It was a combination of crossed wires at home and overactivity over here.

Actually I wasn't planning to come back yet but there was something I just had to respond to. Then one thing led to another... Tongue

But the break was certainly most beneficial, as you suggested, rab.

Wonderful to see so much activity in the BB orchestration threads. It's intelligent topics like these that could be the saving of message boards in the age of social media.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »

Folks there's a beautiful new instalment in aeijtzsche's BB orchestration series "I'm Grass and You're a Power Mower". This one features the use of the 12-string on "Sloop John B":

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26816.0.html

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:21 AM »

It's general "speak up" thread, would like that people who post at Hofmann (spelling?) pasted the lengthy HELP Cats - with facebook links - to that place. Smb. stated it's popular, many people will get to see, help cats (few dogs) with paypal donations. Poor creatures should get Christmas/New Year gifts. They wait people's help! Soon'll be mid-December, when donations will be collected to buy medicine, diapers, food supplies, toys (sweeties lack toys that they must share 3-5 toys between 150+ pets Sad ), many-many useful things. Hurry, people! Thanks in advance.

Update: Jk refused very easy fast to do request with regard to good cause. Anybody else? It would be very kind if you passed HELP Cats information http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17750.msg655453.html#msg655453 to the Hoffmann board! Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:00:10 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Attention, Declaration Signature Walking Few Miles Near You. Hide With Chickens.

Who Is Who = Fact. Everybody Is People = Human. Logic 200%.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx