gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:08:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 251749 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2017, 04:42:51 AM »

English unites, everybody gets it.

Now that is an exceedingly optimistic statement! LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2017, 05:12:55 AM »

I gave advice. F.ex. you live in Netherlands, speak Dutch for many years. You're native. Then, say, Lowbacca lives in Germany & speaks German many years. Then there is Rocker, the other poster from Germany. Do they talk together in German, that everybody must ask them what it means? Exactly. They talk English, it's international language. It's just showing respect to the fellow posters. Hopefully, you will take this fair advice & don't repeat that stuff.

Now why, oh why, did I just know that that one simple sentence, twelve guileless Dutch words innocently strung together, would precipitate a minor riot in RangeRoverland?

I recall another ex-pat and I exchanging sentences in Dutch on the now-defunct Capitol Board and no one raised an eyebrow. Maar ik denk niet... I mean, I don't think I'll be doing it again. Unless I'm ripped to the giddy tits, of course. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2017, 05:29:20 AM »

I like some multilingual posting, myself. It's a nice reminder how lucky we English-only speakers are that others humor us.

Thanks to the Brits for doing all the heavy lifting of spreading the language around the world in the first place. (Or did America do that with postwar cultural creep? I guess I don't even know. That's embarrassing. My penance is to be addressed only in Dutch for a week.  Cheesy )

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2017, 05:50:46 AM »

It could be amusing to run foreign language posts through an instant translation program, particularly if idioms and slang are used.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »

The captain's new name is "De kapitein" Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »

Ní leor teanga amháin  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »

Amen to that. Sadly my high school Spanish and college Latin have mostly faded...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:59 AM »

If it's any consolation, it took me ages to learn Dutch and then ages to regain some kind of a grasp of English! A familiar story, I'm told.

Over here they call it Dunglish----it's harder to shake off than you'd think...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2017, 03:50:49 AM »

Right now they have a great one about albums covers.

Thank you, John. Too bad we don't get to know your opinions there  Sad

As for my opinion on "Surf's Up" vs. "A Day In The Life", it's simple: "SU" lifts me up whereas "ADITL" brings me down. Smokin

Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2017, 05:06:34 AM »

Right now they have a great one about albums covers.

Thank you, John. Too bad we don't get to know your opinions there  Sad

As for my opinion on "Surf's Up" vs. "A Day In The Life", it's simple: "SU" lifts me up whereas "ADITL" brings me down. Smokin

Thank you.

(TBH, I don't even know why a BB song is paired up with a Beatles song. Actually I don't know why the Beatles pop up in almost every thread/comment in BB forums)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2017, 05:11:17 AM »

Inferiority complex, I think. Constant need to shout "but our favorite band is just as good!"

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »

To quote the Sheriff at PSF: "'Surf's Up' vs. 'A Day In The Life' would be a very interesting poll on a Beatles' forum."

It would be more surreal (and quite frankly more fun) to compare "ADITL" with "ADITLOAT". LOL

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »

To quote the Sheriff at PSF: "'Surf's Up' vs. 'A Day In The Life' would be a very interesting poll on a Beatles' forum."

It would be more surreal (and quite frankly more fun) to compare "ADITL" with "ADITLOAT". LOL
" A Day in the Life of a Tree" is one of my fav songs. "A Day in the Life" is not even among my ten most fav songs by the Beatles. Shocked

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »

" A Day in the Life of a Tree" is one of my fav songs. "A Day in the Life" is not even among my ten most fav songs by the Beatles. Shocked

Exactly my sentiments! Side two of Surf's Up is solid gold from start to finish. I've never cared much for "ADITL".

Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2017, 05:51:36 PM »

(TBH, I don't even know why a BB song is paired up with a Beatles song. Actually I don't know why the Beatles pop up in almost every thread/comment in BB forums)
They were American answer to the Beatles, that's why. Major American band vs. Beatles being major British band. Who else should be paired with them?

Because we had been pairing up BB songs with BB songs
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2017, 02:16:34 AM »

Perhaps I should make this a Beatles-free zone. There has to be one somewhere! Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2017, 05:28:45 AM »

Wasn't the word auto-replaced here some years ago? I forget what went in its place, but something else did, the way "merda" auto-replaced "sh*t," etc. Or maybe that Beatles-replacement was another board. It all blends together over time...

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2017, 01:24:19 AM »

Noted. I'll do that next on PSF Grin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »

Noted. I'll do that next on PSF Grin

Eek! Just when my cred at Smiley seems to be on the rise, down it plummets at PSF. Such is life...

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/1401/bots-31-day-life-tree?

Still, it's alway heartwarming to get a namecheck there :=) 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »

Ha! It's great to see "ADITLOAT" getting lots of love (if not votes) at PSF...   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »

While on the subject of PSF (again), I used to own the album that theSuperMetroid02 recently linked in the "spoken word" topic:

I bought it in 1967, the year it was released (I no longer have it----long story). My favourite tracks were "Cancer: The Moon Child" and "Pisces: The Peace Piper".

I remember playing it in the office when the boss was out, just to piss off the secretary, who hated it. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zodiac:_Cosmic_Sounds

Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »

While on the subject of PSF (again), I used to own the album that theSuperMetroid02 recently linked in the "spoken word" topic:

I bought it in 1967, the year it was released (I no longer have it----long story). My favourite tracks were "Cancer: The Moon Child" and "Pisces: The Peace Piper".

I remember playing it in the office when the boss was out, just to piss off the secretary, who hated it. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zodiac:_Cosmic_Sounds

"Virgo - The Perpetual Perfectionist" - Yep, that's definitely me  Grin

I hope this album sounds as good as it looks.  Thanks JK for bringing it up here or I would have missed it since I don't like "spoken words" and I'm not watching that thread.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »

I hope this album sounds as good as it looks.  Thanks JK for bringing it up here or I would have missed it since I don't like "spoken words" and I'm not watching that thread.

Good to know my references to PSF can be useful!

This is the album. If you don't like spoken stuff I can't guarantee you'll like it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rx-XtRIiHs 

A few famous names there among the musicians. Jazzman Bud Shank played the flute solo on the original version of "California Dreamin'"...

Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »

This is the album. If you don't like spoken stuff I can't guarantee you'll like it...

I don't like spoken stuff in the middle of songs, such as in "Lonely sea", but in cases like this I'm totally fine with it.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »

Good to know my references to PSF can be useful!

A few famous names there among the musicians. Jazzman Bud Shank played the flute solo on the original version of "California Dreamin'"...
I remember hearing it somewhere back then, maybe '67, maybe '68.  The music is too standard for the day tripy-dipy.  "This is what to trip is like... friends"... "you will.  see.  colors, dripping by...from the ceiling.  down the walls"...  Sorta like that Peter Fonda movie.  Trying way to hard, like they had just finished a 24 hour Doors loop, or attended one of their concerts the night before.  Take notice that the record is on Elektra.  I kept thinking Jim was going to pop by for one of the signs, The Lord of Lights, indeed.  It worked for the Doors because Jim was so good at it.  Moonlight drives, Spanish caravans, horses crying out in agony.  Didn't he want his music to be played in the dark, as well?  Not so much here to favor a second play-through.  Perhaps Peter Sinfield saw it... Moon Child, that gives me an idea.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx