gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:39:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 252846 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »

I must listen to more music from Can. Which album would you say is the one to hear, Josh?

Oh, man, that's hard to pick. Can made three incredible albums, and they're all different. If you really like "Future Days," then I would probably recommend listening to Future Days, as that sound is unique to that album. If, however, you find yourself liking "Moonshake" on Future Days, then I would recommend listening to Ege Bamyasi. Or, if you want some experimental, exploratory, psychedelic music, I would recommend Tago Mago.

I know you have a policy of one album per artist, but I would definitely encourage you to explore all three of those albums. They're the only albums in the Can discography with Damo Suzuki (the singer), as he joined a little prior to Tago Mago and left after Future Days. They are all beautiful creations that will never be replicated.

Thanks Josh for the detailed explanation (and thanks Marianne for your comment).

I suspected there would be more than one!! I'll bookmark them on YouTube for a listen-through after I'm done with Purple Chick. :=)

I tried to get into them last year, including what Bubs suggested... didn't work.  It must have been on a Bub's list when I tried las time.  I played the song posted.  Nope still no strong feelings.

This past week I've been listening to, and re-discovering an old favorite from the 60's, Cilla Black.  Well, what other decade do you think I'm always exploring?  That's my take when I try to squeeze
 in time to check out new music.  There is still so much to find in the past.  Always trying to keep up with what I missed while growing up.

"Anyone Who Had a Heart":  https://youtu.be/vHhSJRoXNgM  Another one, "Alfie" (with Burt live in the studio), I have posted over at PSF.  Got to find a good Hits package for her.

"Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight)":  https://youtu.be/bXlx7Jjomwo

"Step Inside Love":  https://youtu.be/kGddBXNR3s8   ...it even has a cat if you watch closely.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

This past week I've been listening to, and re-discovering an old favorite from the 60's, Cilla Black.  Well, what other decade do you think I'm always exploring?  That's my take when I try to squeeze
 in time to check out new music.  There is still so much to find in the past.  Always trying to keep up with what I missed while growing up.

"Anyone Who Had a Heart":  https://youtu.be/vHhSJRoXNgM  Another one, "Alfie" (with Burt live in the studio), I have posted over at PSF.  Got to find a good Hits package for her.

"Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight)":  https://youtu.be/bXlx7Jjomwo

"Step Inside Love":  https://youtu.be/kGddBXNR3s8   ...it even has a cat if you watch closely.

Hi, Will. Sorry about the yodelling Hawaiians----I couldn't resist that!

My favourite of Cilla's is this laid-back version of "It's For You":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vambhKG1m6E

What a voice. I was once in a BBC bar where Top of the Pops stars used to hang out before going into the studio. And there was Cilla Black. My companion implored me to stop staring at her!

Talking of PSF: edhemingway said something today that's had me laughing non-stop----it's in the "Too many PS instrumentals" topic...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »

Tiny request to JK: Could you get back to saying "RR"? I despise the real name. Thanks.
I've been meaning to address this since I signed up for these forums, but I noticed that your abbreviated name is spelled the same as my real (unabbreviated) name: Mari. I assume you pronounce it differently than my name? Just something interesting I noticed. I'm not sure if you prefer RR over Mari as well, either.

(Also, when am I going to get drawn as a cat? I'm super excited about that.)

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2017, 04:08:35 AM »

I've discovered (through my work) who the open-mouthed man is in Chaki's avatar.

Maybe you knew already. It's the Dadaist Kurt Schwitters.

The exact image can be seen in this clip at 7:02:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6mbZalg8E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Schwitters

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »

The great thing about having your own topic is that you can take it in any direction you fancy (well, almost any direction).

Will, I checked out your live video of Cilla singing "Alfie" and had to find out who the backing vocalists were, they looked so darn familiar.

Of course----The Breakaways! They sang backup for so many UK artists in the early to mid '60s. They also made a handful of 45s themselves, although none of them so much as dented the charts. I remember "That's How It Goes" from 1964----what amazing singers they were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTFBrYUtxLU   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breakaways 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2017, 02:03:31 AM »

I'm not a hard rock fan, although metal can make me smile at times. I love "Whole Lotta Rosie" by AC/DC but the rest of their oeuvre leaves me cold.

That said, there are some great covers of hard rock tunes floating around. These two of "Highway To Hell", for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqa-HYihaZo   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gtGfAail4

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »

I don't wish to interrupt any current Sandbox discussions so I shall post this here. It gets interesting at 0:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELD2AwFN9Nc

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »

I don't wish to interrupt any current Sandbox discussions so I shall post this here. It gets interesting at 0:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELD2AwFN9Nc

LOL LOL LOL

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »

I don't wish to interrupt any current Sandbox discussions
You could post it in Sandbox insignificant chit-chat.

Are you suggesting that the captain has been laughing at insignificant chit-chat?

I think you owe him an apology. Smokin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2017, 05:45:20 AM »

I believe jk was kidding. I can confirm I was laughing solely at the hilarious video and do not feel owed any apologies by anyone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:52 AM »

I believe jk was kidding. I can confirm I was laughing solely at the hilarious video and do not feel owed any apologies by anyone.

Yes, JK was living up to his initials (again). Grin

Actually, I've accompanied the singer they mention (Lee Towers) on a number of occasions during my stint in a semi-pro band in the late '80s to mid '90s...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »

This may just bring tears to your eyes:

https://youtu.be/jD8tjhVO1Tc

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »

interesting.  the comments show not too many people are listening.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2017, 03:17:20 AM »

interesting.  the comments show not too many people are listening.

Quite depressing, really. Commenter A in the following exchange tries to set things right:

A:
For all the hate comments in this section;
This video was nothing more than a peace bringing video. There is no way that you should have pinpointed every other problem going on in the world right now. Take a moment and try to see everyone as human.

B:
You will never know peace in the world until you get some for yourself.

A: Trust me. I know peace and I have lots of it. Although the hell of a world we live in, ain't full of peace. Which is why we need more videos like these, and for people to stop picking out all hate towards them, and listen for a Gosh Darn change. 

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »

This may just bring tears to your eyes:

https://youtu.be/jD8tjhVO1Tc
Will's right; such toxic comments over there on YouTube. I thought the video made its point just fine. I liked some of the categories they picked ("the lucky ones..." Tongue).

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »

I thought the video made its point just fine. I liked some of the categories they picked ("the lucky ones..." Tongue).

Yes, it builds wonderfully. Impossible to watch with dry eyes...

To broach quite another topic: There doesn't seem to be a birthday culture here----I mean for posters' birthdays. It's de rigeur at my other board. Maybe there are just too many worthwhile posters here, past and present----where do you start?

Maybe Peter Reum's birthday namecheck in "The Beatles" topic is a step in the right direction.... 

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2017, 11:27:39 PM »

I thought the video made its point just fine. I liked some of the categories they picked ("the lucky ones..." Tongue).

Yes, it builds wonderfully. Impossible to watch with dry eyes...

To broach quite another topic: There doesn't seem to be a birthday culture here----I mean for posters' birthdays. It's de rigeur at my other board. Maybe there are just too many worthwhile posters here, past and present----where do you start?

Maybe Peter Reum's birthday namecheck in "The Beatles" topic is a step in the right direction.... 

I didn't see your birthday post 'til after midnight.  I had noticed Peter online at PSF earlier in the day... first time I'd seen him logged-in in a while.  Sure he had a good day, he's loved around the world.
A new one to the 64 club!  Now I don't feel so old...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2017, 03:33:29 AM »

A new one to the 64 club!  Now I don't feel so old...

Know the feeling, Will... Grin

I seem to remember Mary USA doing the birthday honours, not sure if it was here or at PSF.

It's no big deal really, just something to ponder now and again.

Josh, if you see this, I haven't given up on Can. Tago Mago was stupendous. I'm alternating my Can listening with other albums (Divine Comedy's Promenade----a tip from across the road, for which thanks----and now Sunrise on the Sufferbus by Masters of Reality, with maestro Ginger Baker on drums). Next up, though, is Ege Bamyasi...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2017, 05:26:03 AM »

Good to see that Rentatris has become a mod across the road. He had some very wise things to say in the Shoutbox not so long ago.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »

I remember Shirley & Co.!  That song always reminded me of this rave up:  https://youtu.be/WdrbGocRPUk

Oh, that voice!  "Good Feelin' (1957)" if the link hits a snag.

Wait?  What happened to your post?  I have an idea, let me go look...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:48:54 PM by feelsflow » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »

Let me try again...    https://youtu.be/WdrbGocRPUk

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »

Got it!  Works from my side.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »

Got it!  Works from my side.

From my side too. Yikes! That was a B above the treble stave! I'm don't know who's who in TDN----who sang lead on that one, Will?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »

Found this topic while checking on whether Mike had a co-writing credit on "South Bay Surfer" (which might have been for "We'll find the big one", etc). He doesn't. This is where I came into the topic:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1249.msg32049.html#msg32049

There must be so many extraordinary old Smiley threads waiting to be dug up. I may link another in the future...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:38:38 PM by JK » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »

Got it!  Works from my side.

From my side too. Yikes! That was a B above the treble stave! I'm don't know who's who in TDN----who sang lead on that one, Will?

Believe it or not, the guy who usually sings the smooth baritone numbers like "Easy to be Hard", Chuck Negron.  Danny usually did the falsetto on songs like "Liar", but Cory could do it when he wanted to.  They all had extraordinary voices.

The last time I saw Chuck, as a solo with only the old Dog Night original drummer (Danny and Cory had the organist and guitar player), he had lost most of his lower register.  That happened to Gordon Lightfoot, too.  All they both still have is a high voice.  Gordon and Chuck used to sing like velvet wrapping around your ears.

Now there can be no more Three Dog Night.  I think Danny is trying to carry on, but he has not played in my area since Cory died.  Danny and Cory could recreate the sound of the old band, because the organ and guitar was such an important part of their sound.  They did some fine recordings and a wonderful live DVD as Two Dog Night by adding a third singer (who also played bass) to make it okay to still call it Three Dog Night.  But original organist Jimmy's dead as well.  It's too bad they could never work out their differences.  The last record was made in 1983.  They couldn't keep Chuck clean long enough to record a full album on what was a reunion in '83 (they broke up in 1975).  It's a Jungle was an Ep.  Well worth checking out.  I'll check later if anybody has put it on youtube.  As far as I know, it was only on vinyl.  Glad I have a copy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:03:41 PM by feelsflow » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx