gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 252601 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »

First, it's time to go have a hamburger with baked beans for dinner.  Smells good in the kitchen.  It's been a simple Saturday.  Maybe some snow by midnight.

Hi, Will. Good to hear you're doing fine. We've had some snow too, in the Netherlands----about an hour's drive from here.

Darn it, now you've got me feeling hungry...!  Grin   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »

I've eaten tapioca pudding lots of times. Have a box of it in the kitchen.
Sometimes use it as a thickener as well.

Bubble teas are popular but Ive never tried them. The little tapioca balls in the tea are larger than the tiny ones used for pudding.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2016, 02:52:27 AM »

I've eaten tapioca pudding lots of times. Have a box of it in the kitchen.
Sometimes use it as a thickener as well.

Bubble teas are popular but Ive never tried them. The little tapioca balls in the tea are larger than the tiny ones used for pudding.

Haha. It's always best to quote RR's posts when answering her in this thread as she's often been known to go on a deleting spree. Now it looks like you're talking to yourself. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »

(Wrote a post - RR1 responded but then deleted her response).

Mari, you seem the adventurous sort so if you see tapioca available maybe get the smallest amount needed for a recipe.
Over here, tapioca is mainly used in sweet puddings in flavors of vanilla or chocolate. The tapioca is used to thicken the pudding. Most puddings eaten here are smooth, with cornstarch as the thickening ingredient. Tapioca has tiny beads so when you eat tapioca pudding the "mouth feel" is different. I like the tiny beads but some don't.
Tapioca can also be used to thicken sauces; if it's heated enough the little beads will burst so the sauce wouldn't be lumpy.

Well, enough of that!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:21:08 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2016, 04:23:36 AM »

Good to see MaryUSA (usawoman at PSF) back in action there following a prolonged absence after fracturing her kneecap.

Maybe they'll start celebrating birthdays again. Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »

politics threads in the main board is strange to see.

And quite unpleasant, no matter which side of the fence you're sitting on. It actually drove me away for a few weeks...I had to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2016, 03:47:37 AM »

politics threads in the main board is strange to see.

And quite unpleasant, no matter which side of the fence you're sitting on. It actually drove me away for a few weeks...I had to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.

Rest assured, good people, that this is a non-political topic. Anyone trying to start a political discussion here will be subjected forthwith to the JK treatment----peppering of the jowls, tweaking of the nose, and so on.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »

It's sooo nice to be blissfully ignorant of (and mercifully uninvolved in) the shenanigans which that nice Bill Ed kindly reactivated with his asinine topic. And I intend to stay that way.

This will be deleted soon. Goodness knows I hate negative posts. But it had to be said. ;=)
Now It's part of history, John.  History should not be erased.  Then we won't learn anything from it.  We can't change what happened, we can only move along with a skip, and a beat in our hearts.  Music heals.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »

It's sooo nice to be blissfully ignorant of (and mercifully uninvolved in) the shenanigans which that nice Bill Ed kindly reactivated with his asinine topic. And I intend to stay that way.

This will be deleted soon. Goodness knows I hate negative posts. But it had to be said. ;=)
Now It's part of history, John.  History should not be erased.  Then we won't learn anything from it.  We can't change what happened, we can only move along with a skip, and a beat in our hearts.  Music heals.

As you pointed out to me elsewhere, Will, Macca echoes your sentiments on this issue. Oh, mine too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1T_EBeq7mA

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »

That's a very good place to start.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 03:22:05 AM »

Been listening to Off the Ground----and enjoying it! (Macca's solo discography is pretty well a closed book to me.) Is Flowers in the Dirt a good next step, you think, Will?

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2017, 01:10:38 AM »

Been listening to Off the Ground----and enjoying it! (Macca's solo discography is pretty well a closed book to me.) Is Flowers in the Dirt a good next step, you think, Will?

Thought I'd check in here before going to bed.  I'm still keyed up from watching my favorite football team win in the first round of the play-offs.  I've actually just been looking around your forum, but couldn't find anything to get in trouble with.

Ahh,  Mr. McCartney...  I think Off The Ground is a bit better album, but Flowers in the Dirt is very very good.  I got to see two of the shows on that tour in Berkeley, California.  Then Paul did not swing thru the Bay Area* for the Off The Ground tour.  He had a special Tv concert that I saw that year, and of course he did another live album and DVD of the show.  What I would like to have released is the show he did when they opened back up the Ed Sullivan Theatre.  Think that was 1991 just as David Letterman was getting started with his show there.  I recorded it on vhs, but a DVD would be much appreciated.  I would like that a lot more than what he choses to release these days.  Is that what you meant by, "discography is pretty well a closed book for me"?  I don't care too much for what he has done in the last few years.  He has a nice song now and then, but he hasn't been the same since Linda died, not to me.

* I saw you ask what that was the other day.  It's the area that encompasses San Francisco/ Berkeley/ Oakland/ and the area to the South of San Francisco, down to San Jose.  The area South of San Francisco is called South Bay, but it is still part of the Bay Area.  Google Earth it and take a look.

Okay, I better be off to bed. -Will

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2017, 01:51:39 AM »

Thought I'd check in here before going to bed.  I'm still keyed up from watching my favorite football team win in the first round of the play-offs.  I've actually just been looking around your forum, but couldn't find anything to get in trouble with.

Ahh,  Mr. McCartney...  I think Off The Ground is a bit better album, but Flowers in the Dirt is very very good.  I got to see two of the shows on that tour in Berkeley, California.  Then Paul did not swing thru the Bay Area* for the Off The Ground tour.  He had a special Tv concert that I saw that year, and of course he did another live album and DVD of the show.  What I would like to have released is the show he did when they opened back up the Ed Sullivan Theatre.  Think that was 1991 just as David Letterman was getting started with his show there.  I recorded it on vhs, but a DVD would be much appreciated.  I would like that a lot more than what he choses to release these days.  Is that what you meant by, "discography is pretty well a closed book for me"?  I don't care too much for what he has done in the last few years.  He has a nice song now and then, but he hasn't been the same since Linda died, not to me.

* I saw you ask what that was the other day.  It's the area that encompasses San Francisco/ Berkeley/ Oakland/ and the area to the South of San Francisco, down to San Jose.  The area South of San Francisco is called South Bay, but it is still part of the Bay Area.  Google Earth it and take a look.

Okay, I better be off to bed. -Will

Thanks for the info, Will. By "closed book" I mean I'm utterly unfamiliar by it (except the debut and BOTR). But there's a reason. It's a bit like my aversion to Jagger and Waters----he just jars, for some reason. It's a shame really, because I'm sure millions and millions of people can't be wrong about his music. Which is why I'm now making cautious forays into Maccaland. Any tips are always welcome. :=)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »

Would it be right to say you're George fan?

Imo Roger Waters is the best Pink Floyd. Written great songs & good singer.

I love All Things Must Pass and many of George's Beatles compositions but I'm not familiar with much more than that. And I love a lot of John's things, especially the ones that tug at the heart.

I have this love-hate thing with Pink Floyd. Still out on them, in many ways...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 04:16:23 AM »

For the last few days I've been listening to one of Thorgill's recommendations (thank you, sir). The Finnish metal band Nightwish features a female lead singer, quite a rarity in that genre. Being basically a one-album-per-act person (there is so incredibly much to hear out there), I plan to stick with Once, symphony orchestra and all. Lovely stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_(Nightwish_album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBdpFJyFkc

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:28 AM »

Rest assured, good people, that this is a non-political topic. Anyone trying to start a political discussion here will be subjected forthwith to the JK treatment----peppering of the jowls, tweaking of the nose, and so on.

It's also a non inter-forum squabbles topic, where you can take time out and relax with specially selected cuts like the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DniVeqhsBD4 

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:49 AM »

Hey, John. I like your new place. It's nice in here. May I suggest, for relaxation purposes, Can's "Future Days."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2017, 02:41:02 AM »

Hey, John. I like your new place. It's nice in here. May I suggest, for relaxation purposes, Can's "Future Days."

Thanks, Bubs. Feel free to drop in any time. Your link didn't work for me but I managed to find an alternative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JKb5xbYkYg

I largely missed out on Can at the time for some reason. Lack of airplay maybe? This is cool. I see there's also a long version on YouTube... 

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:46 AM »

Well, it has come to my attention that Can's drummer died earlier today. Cry

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:38 AM »

Well, it has come to my attention that Can's drummer died earlier today. Cry

Very sad news. RIP, Jaki Liebezeit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38716464

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:57 AM »

I must listen to more music from Can. Which album would you say is the one to hear, Josh?

Meanwhile, my "new place" requires a pet. How about this cat, courtesy of Marianne (RRA1)?

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »

it's beautiful

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »

I must listen to more music from Can. Which album would you say is the one to hear, Josh?

Oh, man, that's hard to pick. Can made three incredible albums, and they're all different. If you really like "Future Days," then I would probably recommend listening to Future Days, as that sound is unique to that album. If, however, you find yourself liking "Moonshake" on Future Days, then I would recommend listening to Ege Bamyasi. Or, if you want some experimental, exploratory, psychedelic music, I would recommend Tago Mago.

I know you have a policy of one album per artist, but I would definitely encourage you to explore all three of those albums. They're the only albums in the Can discography with Damo Suzuki (the singer), as he joined a little prior to Tago Mago and left after Future Days. They are all beautiful creations that will never be replicated.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2017, 03:17:19 AM »

Oh, man, that's hard to pick. Can made three incredible albums, and they're all different. If you really like "Future Days," then I would probably recommend listening to Future Days, as that sound is unique to that album. If, however, you find yourself liking "Moonshake" on Future Days, then I would recommend listening to Ege Bamyasi. Or, if you want some experimental, exploratory, psychedelic music, I would recommend Tago Mago.

I know you have a policy of one album per artist, but I would definitely encourage you to explore all three of those albums. They're the only albums in the Can discography with Damo Suzuki (the singer), as he joined a little prior to Tago Mago and left after Future Days. They are all beautiful creations that will never be replicated.

Thanks Josh for the detailed explanation (and thanks RR for your comment).

I suspected there would be more than one!! I'll bookmark them on YouTube for a listen-through after I'm done with Purple Chick. :=)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:03:12 AM by JK » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »

It's also a non inter-forum squabbles topic, where you can take time out and relax with specially selected cuts like the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DniVeqhsBD4 

Not to start a squabble, but What the Hell was that?  angel  With more investigation I found this:  https://youtu.be/P5PVgtB1X6s  nice video, but still no clue as to what they are singing/saying.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx