gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:41:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 252688 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:05 PM »

Two years ago I posted the following in this subforum in a self-begun topic entitled "Oops". That topic has, well, moved on (you'll find it *here*). Which is why I'm posting my original introduction to myself a second time----here, where it belongs:    

[March 15, 2014, 05:23:57 AM]
I think this is my third bout of posting here. Looking way back through the list of new arrivals it struck me that it's been pretty amiss of me not to have introduced myself at some stage, however briefly----for which my apologies. Perhaps I was waiting for Mike's 73rd birthday to do it. :=)

I'll be brief: It was getting Brian's "autobiography" as a birthday present a decade or so ago that reawakened my interest in the Boys (they'd always been on the edge of my radar----I'd grown up with their music). I then bought the Sunflower/Surf's Up! 2fer, as I was familiar with side two of SU. Several tracks in,  I was wondering what all the fuss was about (!) when I heard "All I Wanna Do". It was my on-the-road-to-Damascus moment. The next step was to find kindred spirits...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 02:35:59 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »

Two years ago I posted the following in this subforum in a self-begun topic entitled "Oops". That topic has, well, moved on (you'll find it in the Sandbox). Which is why I'm posting my original introduction to myself a second time----here, where it belongs:    

[March 15, 2014, 05:23:57 AM]
I think this is my third bout of posting here. Looking way back through the list of new arrivals it struck me that it's been pretty amiss of me not to have introduced myself at some stage, however briefly----for which my apologies. Perhaps I was waiting for Mike's 73rd birthday to do it. :=)

I'll be brief: It was getting Brian's "autobiography" as a birthday present a decade or so ago that reawakened my interest in the Boys (they'd always been on the edge of my radar----I'd grown up with their music). I then bought the Sunflower/Surf's Up! 2fer, as I was familiar with side two of SU. Several tracks in,  I was wondering what all the fuss was about (!) when I heard "All I Wanna Do". It was my on-the-road-to-Damascus moment. The next step was to find kindred spirits...

Great!  But I see the boss is already here.  Hope it doesn't end up in the Sandbox again.  I'm putting it in a quote box so maybe, just maybe we can start again.  Again.   Gather here in peace and calm to discuss important stuff.  Or silly stuff.  It all works, except nasty stuff.

I have always enjoyed posting in your little corner of this section.  And a big thanks to you for supporting me during these past few days, like you always do.
I will keep an eye on this island. -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 02:21:20 AM »

That is mutual - I am tired of folks jumping at my posts too. Anything I say triggers bad feelings in them or whatever you call it. Maybe these folks should add me to ignore list, incl. you? Poster "AndrewHickey" made an ignore feature, there is thread about it in the Sandbox. I added few rude posters.
Btw, I never thought that only mods can have a say regarding what should or should not be done. My reply to john has zero to do with actual role of moderator - bans etc. You seem not to understand it.

Well, let's see how long this new haven of tranquillity lasts. Grin

RR, I rather think Will's reference to "nasty stuff" was directed elsewhere and not at you. So relax.

Oh, and folks it's not a bad idea to use the quote feature when answering, as posts have a habit of disappearing. Then at least there's a measure of continuity.

Please leave your empty drink cans in the bin provided. Thank you. :=)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:23:47 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 02:43:00 AM »

So what about my advice? I think it is good idea to change thread title. I don't associate Welcome thread to be titled "By way of clarification", like it's very serious topic, about correcting database etc. Consider it.

The thing is, it's not a welcome thread. I've been posting here on and off for close to five years! And that's serious.

But I'm easy-going enough to be open to suggestions----what would you call it, RR?        
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:24:52 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:22:06 AM »

OK, I found best solution: I will title your thread as I wish in my posts. How's that? 3D

LOL

I can live with that!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:10:31 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:43:14 AM »

Cool - I will keep changing till I stop at the best title imo. Thanks for listening.

To continue with Netherlands - what is average summer? Is it cold & sunny or hot & breezy?

Wet and windy if the current weather is anything to go by.  Grin

I like the idea of not having a fixed title at all. I think everyone should choose whatever title suits them at the time. (See the "title" on the front page of this subforum.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:00:08 AM by john k » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »

What is the point of this thread?  Brow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »

Great!  But I see the boss is already here.  Hope it doesn't end up in the Sandbox again.

But...it's a Sandbox thread.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »

Yes, John, to have a haven of tranquility, to be able to read SS posts "in an atmosphere of calm" so to speak.

I enjoy reading stories about how people came to love the Beach Boys. You called listening to All I Wanna Do as your "on the road to Damascus moment". I tend to call them "Whoa, Nellie!" moments.

My Whoa Nellie moment was hearing Don't Talk (Put your head on my shoulder). Just so beautiful

At the beach on a warm Summer's night, a gentle breeze, the relaxing ebb and flow of the waves ...

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 02:25:25 AM »

Good post, NOLA BBF. So your name is Nellie.

Not necessarily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNeOEHGpYyc

To me the best BBs song is "At My Window"...sung by least favorite BB, go figure. It is very short & packed up with little tiny cool things & the vocals are beautiful ("he caaaaaame to myyyyyyy wi-indoow").

There's a wonderful innocence to "AMW". As you say, little tiny cool things, like Brian's endearing attempt at French, the flubbed change to minor at 1:54 and that accordion (VDP?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbtV5x5AEo

And "Don't Talk" stunned me when I first heard it in '67... 

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 03:23:54 AM »

Good post, NOLA BBF. So your name is Nellie. To me the best BBs song is "At My Window"...sung by least favorite BB, go figure. It is very short & packed up with little tiny cool things & the vocals are beautiful ("he caaaaaame to myyyyyyy wi-indoow").

Well, my real name is Elizabeth, but you could call me Nellie if you like (or you could call me Betty, and I could call you Al, or whatever - sorry, couldn't help it)

"Whoa Nellie" is an American expression. Nellie (or Nelly) refers to a horse. 'whoa' means to stop. I use that expression when I experience something very out of the ordinary that makes me stop and take notice, something that makes me think "Wow!"

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 05:09:07 AM »

I'm liking this thread a lot, from the title onwards. Please let it stay here! Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »

Hi all,

Welcome to all new people!!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 07:43:44 AM »

Thank you so much, guys. This is all very encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz7RA7NTPo

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »

What we have here, is failure to communicate.  Grin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 01:34:31 PM »

Thanks for the info, john & Elizabeth. I just assumed by logic that hearing or seeing sth. cool, you'd tell yourself "Whoah Nellie" so it's your name. But it was question, I wouldn't actually say "Hey, Nellie" when see your posts. Nor "Betty". It is too familiar address.

thorgil, thanks for nice words.

I've been called Liz, Lizzie, Lizard, Em (as in Auntie Em from Wizard of Oz). In the Czech Republic our host for some reason called me Alice. In music groups was called the Drone Queen (cause I loved singing the drone parts), and the Human Pitchpipe (or, more indelicately, as 'B with the Pitch,' as I used to be cursed with perfect pitch)
One of my sisters calls me Iddabet. Mom calls me Bibbabet
Which is more than you wanted to know, for sure.
So really don't care what you call me.  Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »

Lizard?   Grin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »

2 questions - what did you do in Czech Republic? What is "NOLA" in your username?
[/quote]

While in the ethnic music group, I went on four 3-week tours between 1989-1995; France, France/Netherlands, Russia (still technically USSR or CCCP if you wish), and the Czech Republic. We played at festivals except for the Russian tour which was a "cultural exchange", singing and dancing to various American genres, clogging, swing, Cajun, etc.
Absolutely loved the Czech Republic - Prague was such an incredible city and wish to somehow return there some day.
(Also loved Russia, but the bathroom issues got to me after a while. Hard to find a bathroom, but finding a place outside was usually better than what we experienced in the bathrooms we found; Ycch! Hopefully, 25 years later, it's better?)

NOLA is where I live, New Orleans, Louisiana, the usual abbreviation used down here. There's at least one other person on this Board with "Nola" as part of his screen name and he's also from the New Orleans area.

Okay, now to you. Why RangeRoverA1?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:31:40 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 06:40:16 AM »

Ah, Prague... such a fantastic city. Maybe my fav among those I have visited. 3D

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »

Ah, Prague... such a fantastic city. Maybe my fav among those I have visited. 3D

That's one on my must-visit list. Perhaps it should be higher up on my must-visit list. ;=)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »

john - what countries/cities you wish to visit?

The Baltic States, Finland (the land of Sibelius), cities like Prague and Hamburg...

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Elizabeth - cool story. What is clogging? Cajun? Dance types such as "swing"?

Clogging, or clog dancing, is popular in the Appalachian states (Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, etc). It's a dance that originated in the British Isles.

On YouTube, check out: Blue Ridge Mountain Dancers with Pete Seeger

Cajun music is from Southern Louisiana. The Cajuns were kicked out of eastern Canada during the 1700s.
These are among the songs that our group performed:
     The Balfa Brothers- La Danse de Mardi Gras
     Beausoleil - Parlez-nous a Boire

Swing music - became popular in 1930s and still popular today. Dances such as Jitterbug and Lindy Hop.
We sang songs from Boswell Sisters and Andrews Sisters - available to view online

Andrews Sisters - Boogle Woogie Bugle Boy
      Boswell Sisters - Crazy People 1932.        (Also did songs such as Mood Indigo, Roll on Mississippi, Heebee Jeebies, River Stay Away From My Door)

The dances you can check out on YouTube:
     Hooked on Swing Dancing
     Whiteys Lindy Hoppers - Hellzapoppin

Think you'll enjoy watching these.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:19:50 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »

I'm not entirely sure what to make of GF but I peed myself laughing when I saw his new signature.

Perhaps mine should be "Where is Swedish Frog's cat?"

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »

I'm not entirely sure what to make of GF but I peed myself laughing when I saw his new signature.

I like your current quote as well. I remember that song was played all the time on Hot Hits 98 in Philly when the Let's Dance album was new. Modern Love, Let's Dance, and China Girl, all in very heavy rotation in the top 40 that year. I didn't really appreciate the song until - and this may sound odd - I heard and saw a bootleg of some solo acoustic gigs John Frusciante played in Europe in 2001, and he played Modern Love, just him and an acoustic guitar. He seemed to open up the song far beyond what I got from it when it was new and top 40, and it floored me. I became obsessed with it, and I even added the song to setlists and other musical activities of mine after hearing John's take on it, and then rediscovering and revisiting Bowie's original (with Nile Rodgers' expert production). It became one of my favorites, hands down. Check out John's performance(s) if you can.

Cheers for the Bowie reference! An underrated masterpiece from Bowie.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »

I like your current quote as well. I remember that song was played all the time on Hot Hits 98 in Philly when the Let's Dance album was new. Modern Love, Let's Dance, and China Girl, all in very heavy rotation in the top 40 that year. I didn't really appreciate the song until - and this may sound odd - I heard and saw a bootleg of some solo acoustic gigs John Frusciante played in Europe in 2001, and he played Modern Love, just him and an acoustic guitar. He seemed to open up the song far beyond what I got from it when it was new and top 40, and it floored me. I became obsessed with it, and I even added the song to setlists and other musical activities of mine after hearing John's take on it, and then rediscovering and revisiting Bowie's original (with Nile Rodgers' expert production). It became one of my favorites, hands down. Check out John's performance(s) if you can.

Cheers for the Bowie reference! An underrated masterpiece from Bowie.

I've been using that quote for years. It followed me here from the old Capitol Board. I briefly used another signature but now this one's back for good.

John F certainly nails it. Wow! (I dug out the Amsterdam and Paris performances.) It adds a whole new dimension to the song. I didn't know JF had worked with so many different artists. Thanks for the heads up.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx