gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:22:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 251733 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »

You may have a point there, cap'n. Grin

Pity KDS has got himself into trouble in that topic. KDS is one of the good guys----don't they realize that, gosh darn it? Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »

Pity KDS has got himself into trouble in that topic. KDS is one of the good guys----don't they realize that, gosh darn it? Cool Guy
I agree.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2017, 03:42:52 AM »

I think I've never really got into trouble with someone here because I usually can't follow those discussions/arguments due to my lack of English skills.

Maybe I'd better not improve my English to keep myself from troubles Grin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2017, 05:15:02 AM »

I think I've never really got into trouble with someone here because I usually can't follow those discussions/arguments due to my lack of English skills.

Maybe I'd better not improve my English to keep myself from troubles Grin

Don't stop improving your English, Watamushi-san, you're doing great. :=) 

My problem, apart from the fact that band politics are lost on me, is that I'm easily swayed. Someone can convince me that a thing's black and the next person can come along and convince me that it's white. So it's best I stay out of these discussions! Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »

I actually enjoy some of those conversations, but I get disappointed in how seriously and personally people take them. It becomes so ugly and personal between posters (who are either stating opinions or just speculating and/or projecting their ideals onto the band anyway), and then it just drones on and on in walls of quotes of quotes, reiterated paragraph after reiterated paragraph, with just enough sniping and bitching about what some absent, third party said or did to make it REALLY tedious and childish.

Just disagree without making it into an overblown epic morality play.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2017, 06:14:08 AM »

I agree.

Thanks, JK and Watamushi. 

I know in my heart of hearts, I shouldn't involve myself into that whole drama.  It's a fruitless task, and a waste of energy really. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »

Here’s the thing: yeah it gets taken to personal levels, but one has to ask who took it to those levels in the first place? I used to be a really innocent wide-eyed fan who solely just loved this music. I looked up to people like AGD, I found guys like Mikie and Bgas to be hilarious. It goes on. There was so much about this place that I loved. I was a young fan and yeah, I was swayed easily too.

My personality, when it comes to this forum, completely changed when I saw firsthand the lying and the bullshit that went on publicly and privately. AGD went from a really trusted source to, well what I think of him today. Mike himself went from just another guy in the band to a complete prick (yes, the quotes from him do mean something, his actions do affect how I think about the guy). So many other aspects of this fandom completely changed for me.

I’m lightyears away from being a perfect poster, and I’ve flown off the handle several times, quit the board vowing to never come back (to which I got ridiculed for by AGD, and subtly but obviously called a liar by him). Back in the 2010 I was just another completely happy fan; happy to have found a wonderful place to share my joy of the music with others. How things changed.

When this place is called “toxic” because of some Full House opinions or because OSD really hates Mike Love, I’m completely flabbergasted, as a fan, that people like AGD who straight up spread sh*t information about Brian and Melinda aren’t the toxic ones...but people who dislike Full House are. Am I oversimplifying that? Maybe, but list all the information about what lies were told and spread about the Wilson’s, then list what makes this place apparently “toxic” and see who comes out looking worse. That’s what I can’t stand.

I wish terribly I could go back to 2010 to when I knew virtually nothing about this band and the fandom...when my participation in this forum was solely about the music. Those days are long gone, I’ve gained and lost a lot of friends with this forum, pissed off a few people, etc.. But frankly based off what I have seen with my own eyes, heard and read, I wouldn’t change a thing about how I’ve acted on this forum.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »

I miss those days as well, before the C50 blowup that made everyone take sides in a fandom war... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 09, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »

I miss those days as well, before the C50 blowup that made everyone take sides in a fandom war... Undecided

Was that the turning point, SB? Pity.

I agree with the captain that the conversations can be fun----at least they start that way----but inevitably something happens to drag them down. Someone mentions Mike, which isn't that unreasonable really, on a Beach Boys website! Then someone makes a derogatory remark about said Mike that often has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. And it's all starts going downhill. And then someone feels wronged by something someone said (that someone had stepped on their dick, as the Dutch so colourfully put it) and things start getting personal. It's the same old story.

I remember looking in on Smiley from the old Capitol Board and marvelling at the erudition and generally high standard of what was being discussed. Even when I joined, I sort of sat in a corner most of the time, open-mouthed.

Whatever went wrong, I still have no problem with anyone here or at PSF (maybe with a single exception). I treat everyone as they treat me and things have always been fine. I'm simply not interested in what's happened in the past between posters. And I don't intend to get interested in it either.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »

Here’s the thing: yeah it gets taken to personal levels, but one has to ask who took it to those levels in the first place? I used to be a really innocent wide-eyed fan who solely just loved this music. I looked up to people like AGD, I found guys like Mikie and Bgas to be hilarious. It goes on. There was so much about this place that I loved. I was a young fan and yeah, I was swayed easily too.

My personality, when it comes to this forum, completely changed when I saw firsthand the lying and the bullshit that went on publicly and privately. AGD went from a really trusted source to, well what I think of him today. Mike himself went from just another guy in the band to a complete prick (yes, the quotes from him do mean something, his actions do affect how I think about the guy). So many other aspects of this fandom completely changed for me.

I’m lightyears away from being a perfect poster, and I’ve flown off the handle several times, quit the board vowing to never come back (to which I got ridiculed for by AGD, and subtly but obviously called a liar by him). Back in the 2010 I was just another completely happy fan; happy to have found a wonderful place to share my joy of the music with others. How things changed.

When this place is called “toxic” because of some Full House opinions or because OSD really hates Mike Love, I’m completely flabbergasted, as a fan, that people like AGD who straight up spread sh*t information about Brian and Melinda aren’t the toxic ones...but people who dislike Full House are. Am I oversimplifying that? Maybe, but list all the information about what lies were told and spread about the Wilson’s, then list what makes this place apparently “toxic” and see who comes out looking worse. That’s what I can’t stand.

I wish terribly I could go back to 2010 to when I knew virtually nothing about this band and the fandom...when my participation in this forum was solely about the music. Those days are long gone, I’ve gained and lost a lot of friends with this forum, pissed off a few people, etc.. But frankly based off what I have seen with my own eyes, heard and read, I wouldn’t change a thing about how I’ve acted on this forum.

+1

and  w00t!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »

I dearly miss those times too. For me it started with Silver Phial's blog, where I discovered "Get The Boot", which opened up a world of wonderful and sometimes weird outtakes and live recordings. Then I discovered this board, and my blood pressure and nerves haven't been the same since.  LOL I also very much miss the "deep" threads, filled with interesting and informative information on the group. Now it seems like it's turned into a universal "I hate Mike Love" board. Don't get me wrong, he's done plenty of things to dislike him for. But haven't we always not liked Mike? Can't we just all agree on that and go back to talking about the group again?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »

A brief aside, if I may. KDS, assuming I've got the source right, this is Classic Rock's review of Sunshine Tomorrow: 

Gotta keep those lovin’ good vibrations happenin’…

Revisionist popular culture theories (and we can’t get enough of those, can we?) have long suggested that Brian Wilson and the most lauded tandem talents in The Beatles spent the mid-1960s engaged in a transatlantic game of ‘follow that’ one-upmanship. The fabbest two of the Fab Four set the benchmark with Rubber Soul and Revolver, prompting the stay-at-home non‑surfer to respond with Pet Sounds, which in turn inspired the English oiks to delve deeper into the toy box for Sgt Pepper.

Yet surely the most pressing concern was not looking over one’s shoulder to check out what your rivals were up to – it was more about contemplating one’s own navel and figuring out how to follow your own most recent leap and bound. Who cares if the competition raises the stakes if you aren’t holding the cards to trump your own last winning hand?

That’s the fanciful and perhaps flimsy conceit behind this compilation, bringing together 12 months of music the Beach Boys made after the last note of Pet Sounds left the stylus (Caroline Mo’, if you will). The PR bumph boasting of this collection’s numerous previously unheard tracks is a bit misleading, in that the bulk of them are merely fresh stereo mixes of songs from the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey albums.

It’s all lovely stuff and exquisitely performed, of course, rarely more so than the yearning version of Stevie Wonder’s I Was Made To Love Her and the faux soul of Darlin’, but to big it up as the next chapter after Pet Sounds serves only to burden some perfectly serviceable pop music with a benchmark it really shouldn’t be trying to reach. Don’t forget that Pet Sounds took several years to be recognised as a landmark – at the time of its release, hardly anyone spoke of rock music as something worthy of a legacy, so we really should cut these dudes some slack.

Summer dictates that Beach Boys product of some stripe is front and centre every year. This collection falls between the stools of being too normal for the serious fan and too niche for the floating voter. Nevertheless, it’s a refreshing change from the bog-standard hits compendium that usually surfs into the shops when the sun comes out.

http://teamrock.com/review/2017-07-14/the-beach-boys-1967-sunshine-tomorrow-album-review-1

KDS
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2017, 05:56:37 AM »

A brief aside, if I may. KDS, assuming I've got the source right, this is Classic Rock's review of Sunshine Tomorrow: 

Gotta keep those lovin’ good vibrations happenin’…

Revisionist popular culture theories (and we can’t get enough of those, can we?) have long suggested that Brian Wilson and the most lauded tandem talents in The Beatles spent the mid-1960s engaged in a transatlantic game of ‘follow that’ one-upmanship. The fabbest two of the Fab Four set the benchmark with Rubber Soul and Revolver, prompting the stay-at-home non‑surfer to respond with Pet Sounds, which in turn inspired the English oiks to delve deeper into the toy box for Sgt Pepper.

Yet surely the most pressing concern was not looking over one’s shoulder to check out what your rivals were up to – it was more about contemplating one’s own navel and figuring out how to follow your own most recent leap and bound. Who cares if the competition raises the stakes if you aren’t holding the cards to trump your own last winning hand?

That’s the fanciful and perhaps flimsy conceit behind this compilation, bringing together 12 months of music the Beach Boys made after the last note of Pet Sounds left the stylus (Caroline Mo’, if you will). The PR bumph boasting of this collection’s numerous previously unheard tracks is a bit misleading, in that the bulk of them are merely fresh stereo mixes of songs from the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey albums.

It’s all lovely stuff and exquisitely performed, of course, rarely more so than the yearning version of Stevie Wonder’s I Was Made To Love Her and the faux soul of Darlin’, but to big it up as the next chapter after Pet Sounds serves only to burden some perfectly serviceable pop music with a benchmark it really shouldn’t be trying to reach. Don’t forget that Pet Sounds took several years to be recognised as a landmark – at the time of its release, hardly anyone spoke of rock music as something worthy of a legacy, so we really should cut these dudes some slack.

Summer dictates that Beach Boys product of some stripe is front and centre every year. This collection falls between the stools of being too normal for the serious fan and too niche for the floating voter. Nevertheless, it’s a refreshing change from the bog-standard hits compendium that usually surfs into the shops when the sun comes out.

http://teamrock.com/review/2017-07-14/the-beach-boys-1967-sunshine-tomorrow-album-review-1

Interesting take. 

I used to love getting my monthly copy of Classic Rock, but it seems like bands like The Beach Boys were often ignored (the 2012 reunion was only mentioned in a tiny review of TWGMTR), but it seems like they find new articles to write on Led Zeppelin every third or fourth issue (I'm a fan, but when a band only has a small output, the articles get very repetitive). 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 25, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »

My thoughts and prayers are with all who will be affected by the hurricane in Texas over the next few days.
To those outside the area who aren't aware of this, a hurricane will be hitting around the Corpus Christi Texas area tonight, and might stall around there for several days, causing catastrophic flooding in areas including Houston (up to 30 inches - over 76 cm).

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with all who will be affected by the hurricane in Texas over the next few days.
To those outside the area who aren't aware of this, a hurricane will be hitting around the Corpus Christi Texas area tonight, and might stall around there for several days, causing catastrophic flooding in areas including Houston (up to 30 inches - over 76 cm).

Thanks, Elizabeth. I had no idea it was that bad. That's awful. My thoughts are with them too, particularly with a few individuals who like the same band that we like. Damn. 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2017, 10:50:11 AM »

This reporting on what happens on other boards - It's sandbox stuff. It has no bearing on this forum or the people here, and there is really no reason to keep posting updates about other forums' activities. Please consider keeping it off this forum moving forward.

What got said and posted here was vile and disgusting. It will not be allowed again nor will it be seen here again, and if it does pop up again anywhere here, the posters doing it will get an immediate lifetime ban. Zero tolerance for that kind of garbage. If some people want to read that kind of bigotry and outright ignorance, and welcome those who spout it no matter what the circumstances, this isn't the forum for you.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 29, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »

Aww, but on the other board they said...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:17:14 PM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2017, 05:41:49 AM »

Moving on...

I'd forgotten all about this topic I launched a couple of years ago----out of sheer desperation, it seems...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22705

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 11, 2017, 02:25:13 AM »

Lest we forget:

http://www.memorialmapping.com/memorials/donadea-9-11-memorial/

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »

This is what I posted at PSF about it, where there was a thread.

I have some really vivid memories from that day and a lot of bad feelings both from the event and the aftermath. And as strange as it sounds, I remember a lot of things as being really funny, too. I thought so even at the time.

That morning, I was at work. One colleague said to another, “they got one.” “What? Who got one what?” the second—a friend of mine—asked. He was answered again with “they got one.” It didn’t take but a few moments before someone else clarified. (I’m not sure how the information was even traveling at that point, since our work was in a mostly secure environment where, other than on my office PC, didn’t have internet, mobile phones weren’t permitted, and it was pre-smartphones anyway.)

I checked New York Times, which I recall had gone to a static front page with no hyperlinks to stories. It was the most basic info in gigantic font size, and that was all. It was painfully slow to load even in that form.

For the first few minutes (between planes), there was speculation that it was a mistake, just pilot error. Or even a lone wolf kind of thing. The second plane made clear the reality of the situation. Then the news kept coming in: the Pentagon, rumors of other crashes or potential crashes, the plane that went down in Pennsylvania. It was terrible, but also exhilarating in the same way the launch of the first Gulf War was. Something was happening, my young, male mind and circulatory system recognized, and I was high on adrenaline.

A key client said they were closing and we could send home anyone who was supporting their work. Our secondary location wanted to close, fearing they were going to be targets, too. (It was a ridiculous thought: there was no way on earth they’d have been targets.)

Somebody had set up a TV in the H.R. department, and I snuck in to watch whenever I could that day. It reported nations’ condolences, which included some surprises (e.g. Iran). And it was sadly obvious that we’d be going to war over this regardless of who did it and whether they had any actual state’s backing.

Around noon that day, the president of my company came in as some friends and I were eating lunch and watching the news. “They’re still covering this? Wow, this just isn’t going away, is it?” he said. We were all amazed at his tone-deafness and callousness. At that time, we were assuming there were many more thousands dead than actually ended up killed, the towers being as big as they were, and he was surprised that the media was “still” covering the story. People were jumping out of buildings, man… It was horrific.

That evening I went home, stopping off for a case of Leinie’s on the way. I drank with a good friend on the brick front porch of the house I was renting at the time, able to talk and be heard without the usual noise pollution of the nearby airport: all flights were grounded for about a week. While we talked about the likely consequences—war—my friend (purple in the face by now through some combination of drunkenness and frustration with me) drunkenly slurred, “why do you hate America?” (I didn’t and don’t.)

Within a few days the general public learned words like Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Bin Laden, Northern Alliance, and jihad, words that hadn’t sunk in with previous attacks and threats.

I quickly felt sick with the omnipresent jingoism, like when another coworker forwarded a chain letter-style email about how terrorists had messed with the wrong country, how we were the only country to have used atomic weapons and we’d do it again. (We’re proud about this?) I thought subsequent policy decisions supported by the vast majority of both parties were bad ones. Conspiracy theories popped up everywhere. I remember it as obvious, more or less, from the beginning what had actually happened that day. But within days or weeks, I remember people suggesting the Bush administration (or VP Cheney himself) had either allowed or carried out the attacks. I remember the televangelists preaching that it was their hateful god’s wrath against America for [insert pet hatred here; homosexuality was a big one, as I recall, though it’s not entirely clear how one thing relates to the other]. In short, I thought the aftermath of 9/11 brought out the worst in a lot of people a lot of the time.

But it also brought about the good in people. The first responders, both professional and civilian, were heroes for the risks they took and sacrifices they made. Then as the initial moment faded, a lot of people chose to join the military and defend the country. (Regardless of my thoughts about that, I won’t question those people’s motives.) Some even gave up lucrative careers and lifestyles, such as the NFL player who quit to join up, only to be killed later.

Mostly I just felt terrible. Terrible that thousands of innocent people died just because they were in the wrong place. Terrible that we live in a world where people become so twisted that they think it’s a good idea, a noble idea, to kill thousands of people. Terrible that there is some evil in some people’s minds that leads them to promote that radicalization and action. Terrible that the passengers on the fourth plane had to decide to kill themselves along with the hijackers to save more lives. Terrible about what I assumed would be the nation’s reaction, both in domestic and foreign policy. Terrible that it would inevitably be cheapened to bumper-sticker depth and slogans to sell ideas and products. Just terrible. That’s still mostly how I feel about the whole thing.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2017, 01:49:25 AM »

My son rang me up----it was mid afternoon in the Netherlands----and told me two planes had just flown into the World Trade Center. And it was on television. Before I switched on, all I could think of was that two remote-controlled model planes had flown into the Rotterdam World Trade Center, as a protest, perhaps? If only...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 27, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »

An interesting read, the "Pick 3 songs" topic. Seriously.

However...

I just thought Mike's Boys put on a great show last June (as did Brian and band in 2008). They did what they did. And what they didn't do etc.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 27, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

NB 2: Liz didn't post few weeks, checked her page. Is she ill?

Just saw this. There was a hurricane (Irma) that caused some problems with family members in Florida.
The other issue was my Mother's health. Lots of tests, and some not good news.
Anyway I've been in "La La Land" lately.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »

I think that makes sense. (Let's pretend I didn't just contribute to that thread.) Realistically speaking, I think sometimes as listeners or fans we get too cute by half. "It's good, but it would be better if only..." said the guy who is speaking for himself only, pretending the objective world is his subjective world. Maybe we ought to give the guys who have been doing this professionally for 50+ years the benefit of the doubt.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2017, 05:58:40 AM »

Just saw this. There was a hurricane (Irma) that caused some problems with family members in Florida.
The other issue was my Mother's health. Lots of tests, and some not good news.
Anyway I've been in "La La Land" lately.

So sorry to hear about your mother, Elizabeth.

I think that makes sense. (Let's pretend I didn't just contribute to that thread.) Realistically speaking, I think sometimes as listeners or fans we get too cute by half. "It's good, but it would be better if only..." said the guy who is speaking for himself only, pretending the objective world is his subjective world. Maybe we ought to give the guys who have been doing this professionally for 50+ years the benefit of the doubt.

Say what you like about the what if, survivor, worst and weirdest topics but they make life so much easier when deciding where to post. Grin 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx