gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:35:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 251729 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »

Tbh, don't like WH. Looking at the new tracklist, there's maybe 5 tracks that got me a bit curious.

I was talking about the sheer enthusiasm written all over that topic. Smiley comes to life again!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2017, 01:58:48 AM »

Did swift caricatures inspired by that post

That's what we need right now, a bit of joy. Thanks.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Scaroline No
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2017, 05:52:22 AM »

Did swift caricatures inspired by that post

Nice! A very happy sunshiney sketch that perfectly describes the excitement on this board right now  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:07:39 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »

I see the captain and Will (and Silken) haven't shown up here for a while.

Maybe it's lively enough over at PSF right now without the onus of having to post on another board.

Time will tell (it always does)...

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »

I miss the Captain's food posts.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »

I miss the Captain's food posts.

If ever I need to give my computer keyboard a wash I take a look at the captain's food posts. Keyboard's clean in no time. LOL 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »

Bit of a discussion at PSF about "Til I Die" and complaining that the melody's boring! Surely the music of "TID" developed from a pianistic chord sequence in which the right and left hands mirrored each other, so to speak. So the melody is almost an afterthought.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2017, 02:29:10 AM »

Taking my cue from Sheriff John Stone's "desert island" topic at PSF, here are my albums for the seven days of the week. My strategy did mean including three Bowie albums! 

The Velvet Underground & Nico ("Sunday Morning")
If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears ("Monday, Monday")----The Mamas & the Papas
David Bowie ("Love You Till Tuesday")
Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.----Simon & Garfunkel
Hours ("Thursday's Child")----David Bowie
Pin Ups ("Friday On My Mind")----David Bowie
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ("Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting")----Elton John

I'd have chosen NPP for Saturday but I can't stand the last song (or the bonus tracks)...

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »

Hey John,  You did that in a different and more original way.  When I saw the thread I thought, "oh, another favorites list..."

Using your method, I could take care of every day of the week with one album, one song.  From Laura Nyro and Labelle's
Gonna take a miracle:

"I Met Him on a Sunday"

Well, I met him on a Sunday,
And I missed him on Monday.
Well, I found him on Tuesday,
And I dated him on Wednesday.
And I kissed him on Thursday...
Then he didn't come Friday, no.
When he showed up on Saturday
... I said bye-bye, baby
To Sunday, ron-day ron-day
ron-day boppa do run, they run
they run they boppa do-run
they run they run they run they
boppa do.  oo-oo-oo-...

Then they go into the most beautiful version of "The Bells" I've ever heard.  The rest of the album is one classic number
after another.  "Monkey Time/Dancing in the Street"/ "You've Really Got A Hold On Me"/ "Spanish Harlem"/ "Jimmy Mack"
"The Wind"/ "Nowhere To Run"/ "It's Gonna Take A Miracle"

That's the original track-listing, but I have all of her albums as Japanese Mini-Lps, and you know how they like to add on
unreleased bonus tracks... So, we also get to hear, "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"/ "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural
Woman"/ "Ooh Child" and a fabulous new version of "Up On the Roof" - from another album I'd be sure to take, Christmas
and the beads of sweat
.  These favorites lists always cause me to think too much.  How can I limit it to seven or one-hundred?

Just too many to list, and whittle down to fit in a small space.  I would need a big island with a large music room.  I can't imagine
not having Laura's first seven albums, and the live ones.  Then which Beach Boys albums can I live without?  Same with The Beatles,
Brian's stuff, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield (and all the records that stem from the original members of both) - that's a very very
long list in itself!  Some of Nilsson's albums (hell, I would want the box set to have the three bonus discs of rare stuff), and all of Bobbie
Gentry's.  I would have to include most of the only cat that would make the grade  this century, Mr. Sam Beam, or as he's commonly known,
Iron and Wine.  Carole King, Swing Out Sister, The Rascals, Simon and Garfunkel (and most of their solo albums), Steve Miller Band - at least
six of his early albums, including the vinyl only Journey..., so that means a turntable would be needed - fit that into my kit-bag.  It would
just go on and on, John.  How do you guys come up with all of these lists?  Soon as I hit post, a dozen more will come to mind...

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »

Hi Will. Yes, it's fun trying to think of a fresh angle on these interminable lists. (And then you get three fairly unlikely Bowie albums for your troubles.) It's impossible to choose anyway (as your last paragraph bears out) so why not add an element of chance?     

Your version of "IMHOAS" sounds quite stunning but I must admit I'm hooked on the original by The Shirelles. Great to hear all their voices individually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0D_qkha5wU       

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2017, 04:40:35 AM »

A quick word to SCaroline Z:

Since RR removed her artwork (why on earth would she do that?), there's a huge blue splurge in your most recent post in my topic.

Just saying. Grin

Scaroline No
« Reply #261 on: June 03, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »

Since RR removed her artwork (why on earth would she do that?), there's a huge blue splurge in your most recent post in my topic.

Just saying. Grin

Oh, I missed that. I gather you're not a fan of that shade of blue then? LOL. Her prerogative, I suppose. But this is your thread, so if you're asking me to delete that post I will Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:33:23 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 03, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »

Just saying. Grin

Oh, I missed that. I gather you're not a fan of that shade of blue then? LOL. Her prerogative, I suppose. But this is your thread, so if you're asking me to delete that post I will Smiley

I don't mind that shade of blue at all but there is rather a lot of it! LOL

What you could do is cut and paste RR's comment as quoted in my post and add that to the remark you made.

Whatever... Grin

Scaroline No
« Reply #263 on: June 03, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »

Just saying. Grin

I don't mind that shade of blue at all but there is rather a lot of it! LOL

What you could do is cut and paste RR's comment as quoted in my post and add that to the remark you made.

Whatever... Grin

Done and done Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2017, 03:06:15 AM »

Done and done Smiley

Thanks, SCZ. :=)

Your version of "IMHOAS" sounds quite stunning but I must admit I'm hooked on the original by The Shirelles. Great to hear all their voices individually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0D_qkha5wU

Will, thanks to your YT link it just occurred to me that The Shirelles' version clearly influenced the Boys' "In The Parkin' Lot":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WDsd0N5DI

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »

My favourite topic right now. I've always been intrigued by Monterey (as opposed to the behemoth Woodstock)...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25203.msg612573.html#msg612573

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 06, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »

Jay. Dude. That's some shitty news I read over there. You get back on track soon, ya hear?

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »

Oh my god Jay.... Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »

HELLO. Your old pal Muggins here. Lost my login and email a while back so I created a new account. Let's jam on brews, beats and buddies!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »

Mikie, be glad the captain is back instead of immediately slagging him off.Thud

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »

If condescending brattiness affected my online participation, I'd have long since been off the grid entirely. I'm around regardless of the noise.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:34 AM »

If condescending brattiness affected my online participation, I'd have long since been off the grid entirely. I'm around regardless of the noise.

That's good news, cap'n.

Regrettably it took Billy's heart problems to bring something of a rapprochement between the two boards. But it's good to see.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2017, 03:37:13 AM »

Wise words about Rick's inter-forum outburst from Niko in the PSF shoutbox (before they vanish, shoutbox-style):

"Thing is I don't know if he meant it. It's possible he had a mental breakdown and said what he thought would be the most repulsive thing possible so we would reject him just like he's rejecting himself. If he comes back and lets us in on what happened he is welcome. I don't think he meant what he wrote."

Horse's remarks were certainly very stereotyped, which makes it look as if they didn't come from the heart. He hinted over here about the (then absurd) possibility of him being banned some time ago:

"I've been waiting for my turn, nevermind.
I must be due in one of these forums!
It's almost becomes an 'honour' to be banned lol!"

Anyway, whatever, etc...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »

For your information, this topic is entirely "Mike-Love-the-person"-free.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »

But why? There's an ideally dead horse there for the beating.

Dead Horse

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx