gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:04:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 251748 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »

What a fascinating idea (at PSF)----a Mount Rushmore of musicians.

Sticking to four is supremely difficult! Ye gods!!

How about...

Elvis (the singer who set the door ajar), Chuck (the musician and composer who kicked it wide open), Brian (no explanation necessary) and one more...

Buddy? John? Paul? Frank??

Let's put Buddy in third place, followed by Brian. :=)

Interesting that Ian C apologizes for not including any women among his four...

If I were to remove Buddy (sorry, Mr Holly, sir, but Brian stays) and replace him with... My first thought was of Kate Bush (Joni M was another consideration), but perhaps that honour should go to Carole King, a pioneer who wrote or co-wrote so many great songs and opened the door to several generations of singer-songwriters.       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

It is interesting, isn't it? The same thing occurred to me. I'm not sure we ought to apologize for omissions if they're honest: for example, if I honestly think the four most important people in the history of rock are all men, well, fair or not, that would be what I think. (And I do think that, by the way, though the list I gave was of my favorites ... also all men, actually.) I think adding someone you truly believe to be outside of that group in the interest of equality is a mistake. Conversely, if you wanted to discuss my favorite current artists, it would be mostly women. I'm not sure why the change for me, but where my favorites from the 60s are male, these days I'd prefer Beyonce, Solange, Kacey Musgraves, Joanna Newsom, Janelle Monae, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2017, 03:17:18 AM »

It is interesting, isn't it? The same thing occurred to me. I'm not sure we ought to apologize for omissions if they're honest: for example, if I honestly think the four most important people in the history of rock are all men, well, fair or not, that would be what I think. (And I do think that, by the way, though the list I gave was of my favorites ... also all men, actually.) I think adding someone you truly believe to be outside of that group in the interest of equality is a mistake. Conversely, if you wanted to discuss my favorite current artists, it would be mostly women. I'm not sure why the change for me, but where my favorites from the 60s are male, these days I'd prefer Beyonce, Solange, Kacey Musgraves, Joanna Newsom, Janelle Monae, etc.

Your reasoning makes sense (come back, Buddy, all is forgiven). Otherwise, I'd be compelled to include a gay artist as well.

To generalize, maybe the vibe put out by many females artists (for me these would be, indeed, Janelle Monae and Joanna Newsom plus Imogen Heap, Amy Winehouse, Kate, Enya and others) is more conducive to these wild times. At the other end of the spectrum are the likes of Kendrick Lamar, whose music I simply find threatening and aggressive, although that may just be me. Anyway...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2017, 05:32:26 AM »

Now that would be something----sixty-foot heads of The Shangri-Las! I think then I'd probably move to the States.  Cool Guy

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »

The 1st girl's the prettiest. But musically, not fan of the "girl group" sound. Speaking of PS - your fave thing to talk :D - do you think they should be named Sunflower? Then it would be SFF (Sun-flower-forum). 3D

Here are the other three looking pretty. (Betty dropped out for a while).
Sadly, the dark-haired Ganser twins are no longer with us.

As for the Pet Sounds Forum, I may talk about it (more at my other board than
here, obviously) but not to the extent of suggesting it should change its name. Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2017, 05:01:05 AM »

What's your fave PS topic? To me, "Obscure music", "Discuss BBs song per day", few others.

What, you don't like any PS topic? Bizarre, given you referenced PS many times here.

Footnote: Btw, the poster over there monolithic has really dumb avatar. Dumb anime girl face with "complete tool" expression. The whole anime stuff is stupid. Roll Eyes

Been offline for a few days. Happens. Grin

I tend to check the "recent posts" section at PSF and take it from there. TheSuperMetroid02 often has interesting things to say and interesting albums to check out. So does the captain. But it's very haphazard----I just follow up what takes my fancy at the time. The Shoutbox is a hoot.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2017, 05:38:11 AM »

i'm like the lost mouse who lives out of that shoutbox.
i feel like the guardian of the galaxy to that space.
 Cool Guy
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2017, 06:13:10 AM »

i feel like the guardian of the galaxy to that space.

And so you should. Da horse is da man!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2017, 01:37:50 AM »

Been offline for a few days. Happens. Grin

Sure but you used to post every day & it was kinda weird to see no recent posts from JK. It's like Smiley board got chopped off its toe nail.

I'm used to being called a toe rag but your simile is new to me. LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2017, 12:56:57 AM »

Q: May I take this opportunity to wish feelsflow a happy birthday?

A: Of course I can----it's my own gosh darn topic.

Many happies, Will. :=)

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »

Thanks John!  Won't be singing "When I'm 64" this year.  The Big six five is here.

You are either a late night writer, or a very early bird.  You beat me to it at your place, too.  Thanks for the song post.

Want to give a Shout Out to all my friends in Louisiana - getting some really rough weather down there this past week-end.

Let me go see what kind of trouble I can get into...or out of. -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2017, 05:04:53 AM »

You are either a late night writer, or a very early bird.

Neither. I'm a Yurpian. Grin

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2017, 05:51:17 AM »

Want to give a Shout Out to all my friends in Louisiana - getting some really rough weather down there this past week-end.

Let me go see what kind of trouble I can get into...or out of. -Will

Happy Birthday! Hope you have lots of fun.

Yes we've been rockin and rollin in Louisiana. Nasty weather in the western and central parts of the state.
I was awoken about 3 hours ago by a loud alarm on my cellphone - a tornado warning.
A waterspout over Lake Pontchartain came ashore and was headed towards us (we live in the northern part of the Gentilly neighborhood in New Orleans). Had a lot of heavy rain and wind. Luckily the waterspout/tornado dissipated before reaching us.
Just some light rain now.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »

Yeah, that storm is making the news even up here in New York.  Glad to hear you are missing the worst of it.

And thanks for the birthday wish, NOLA!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »

A tad late to the party, but Happy Birthday, Will!

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »

Josh, if you see this, I haven't given up on Can. Tago Mago was stupendous. I'm alternating my Can listening with other albums (Divine Comedy's Promenade----a tip from across the road, for which thanks----and now Sunrise on the Sufferbus by Masters of Reality, with maestro Ginger Baker on drums). Next up, though, is Ege Bamyasi...
Hey, John. Remind me again how this went for you? I listened to Ege Bamyasi the other night (after having a conversation about okras and that album cover) and found it to be a superbly fun album. Haven't listened to their other stuff as closely...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:31:23 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2017, 03:42:41 AM »

Josh, if you see this, I haven't given up on Can. Tago Mago was stupendous. I'm alternating my Can listening with other albums (Divine Comedy's Promenade----a tip from across the road, for which thanks----and now Sunrise on the Sufferbus by Masters of Reality, with maestro Ginger Baker on drums). Next up, though, is Ege Bamyasi...
Hey, John. Remind me again how this went for you? I listened to Ege Bamyasi the other night (after having a conversation about okras and that album cover) and found it to be a superbly fun album. Haven't listened to their other stuff as closely...

Uh-oh. I couldn't find a satisfactory version on YouTube so I eventually gave up on it (don't tell Bubs).

Tago Mago was good though. I guess my reputation as a one-album-per-act person is still pretty much intact, lol.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2017, 03:35:06 AM »

Hi all,

what's the talk of town? JK, did you buy yourself presents? Make that day blue cheese-free, then next day get back to regular schedule. Tongue

Blue cheese-free... I can't promise that, RR. Anyway, I eat blue cheese maybe once a fortnight and my lasagna (the talk of town) once a month.

It'll be pancakes on Sunday. But what's all this buy yourself presents stuff----why on earth would I do that?  Grin 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2017, 05:39:52 AM »

Hi all,

don't you buy BD presents to yourself? I figured everybody do at their BD.

Not if BD stands for Budget Deficit.  LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2017, 03:28:44 AM »

What's your fave PS topic?

Well, one at the moment is the hilarious "Anyone else have a least favorite instrument?"

Highly recommended!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:56:37 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2017, 02:13:14 AM »

Well, one at the moment is the hilarious "Anyone else have a least favorite instriument?"

Don't know about hilarious but the worst thread - unsurprisingly - is made by usawoman. "Cleaning out my closet" Roll Eyes & you'd think she couldn't top the previous dumb topics of hers...I'm glad she stopped posting trolling here.

Nah! Mary's OK. Trust me.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2017, 04:36:01 AM »

That was the point from the get-go. I said sth. with which JK disagreed to which I further disagreed - difference of opinions, right there. I stand by everything I said.

Thank goodness my word isn't gospel! That's been a little bit of a worry lately.  Cool Guy

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2017, 05:25:41 AM »

Well, one at the moment is the hilarious "Anyone else have a least favorite instriument?"

Don't know about hilarious but the worst thread - unsurprisingly - is made by usawoman. "Cleaning out my closet" Roll Eyes & you'd think she couldn't top the previous dumb topics of hers...I'm glad she stopped posting trolling here.

Nah! Mary's OK. Trust me.

Yes, Mary's okay. She reminds me to enjoy the simple things in life, and stop constantly fretting about the #%?¥\>! going on in the world today.
She hasn't had it easy lately. Her Mother passed away, and then she took a nasty fall (thankfully it was a couple of days AFTER seeing Brian in concert) that she's still recovering from.
In her Song of the Week posts on another board, she frequently presents one of Brian's solo efforts, many times songs I've overlooked before. So I give them another listen and think, not bad, not bad at all...
That cleaning out the closet thread is hilarious. Getting rid of my tee shirts could be a problem as they make up most of the shirts I presently have. :-)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2017, 06:07:18 AM »

Huh? Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2017, 06:31:42 AM »

And then it was gone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx