gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:38:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome thread  (Read 251706 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:49 AM »

Believe it or not, the guy who usually sings the smooth baritone numbers like "Easy to be Hard", Chuck Negron.  Danny usually did the falsetto on songs like "Liar", but Cory could do it when he wanted to.  They all had extraordinary voices.

The last time I saw Chuck, as a solo with only the old Dog Night original drummer (Danny and Cory had the organist and guitar player), he had lost most of his lower register.  That happened to Gordon Lightfoot, too.  All they both still have is a high voice.  Gordon and Chuck used to sing like velvet wrapping around your ears.

Now there can be no more Three Dog Night.  I think Danny is trying to carry on, but he has not played in my area since Cory died.  Danny and Cory could recreate the sound of the old band, because the organ and guitar was such an important part of their sound.  They did some fine recordings and a wonderful live DVD as Two Dog Night by adding a third singer (who also played bass) to make it okay to still call it Three Dog Night.  But original organist Jimmy's dead as well.  It's too bad they could never work out their differences.  The last record was made in 1983.  They couldn't keep Chuck clean long enough to record a full album on what was a reunion in '83 (they broke up in 1975).  It's a Jungle was an Ep.  Well worth checking out.  I'll check later if anybody has put it on youtube.  As far as I know, it was only on vinyl.  Glad I have a copy.

Thanks for clarifying, Will. I managed to dig out two tracks from that EP:

"It's A Jungle Out There" https://youtu.be/yQzsOKYSvWA

"Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt" https://youtu.be/-KpKAit6qII

Nice! I must look for more things by TDN. Is there any one album you'd particularly recommend? 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »

If you're going to buy something, go for Celebrate: The Three Dog Night Story, 1965-1975 (43 tracks).  That gives you some of the "before they were T.D.N." tracks, including Danny's great "Roses and Rainbows" and "Funny How Love Can Be" (the 1965 Ivy League hit -you might remember).  Has "Time To Get Alone" by Redwood.  Then all the single mixes (when different to the Lp version), some of the best Lp tracks, and the rare b-sides - many of the single mixes in mono.  The booklet has liner notes by David Leaf and extensive track-by-track notes from the band, including who sings lead.

Best album, just one?  It's a toss-up between Suitable for Framing (2nd) and It Ain't Easy (3rd).  The first four, 1968-1970 are must own, so add the first (self-titled album) and their fourth, Naturally.  After that it's hit-and-miss, according to what songs they pick to sing.  The best album of the rest is Coming Down Your Way (1975) - the last one with Danny.  They went all out and did a great job on song selection.  I love them all except the last one, American Pastime (1976), due mostly to what songs they picked.  It's just Chuck and Cory (Danny on only one track).  It was over if that was the best they could do...  Chuck was still singing well, but he was definitely In trouble with drug use.  So was Jimmy.  Jimmy was in such bad shape he had to be replaced for the last two albums.  He got better, and returned for the Danny and Cory version of the group.

They had a great live show.  I saw many tours from 1969 on, Chuck solo and Two Dog Night (Danny and Cory with Mike on guitar and Jimmy on Organ).  The 1972 tour was released as Around the World With... in 1973.  Not just hits either - plenty of deep cuts.  Some more material was released more recently from the same era, but left off the live album - even more deep cuts.  Some great VHS only shows like SoundStage (with all three, but Skip instead of Jimmy on keyboards) and Danny and Cory did DVD stuff that included newly recorded studio tracks (with Jimmy and Michael).  I looked into it a bit this morning.  Danny has found someone to replace Cory, and is still working on some sort of album.  I got that from Wikipedia, so trust that info or not.  Wikipedia is wrong so often, relying on punters like us to fill in many holes.  That brings in much speculation - you know, like all the message boards do...

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »

Best album, just one?  It's a toss-up between Suitable for Framing (2nd) and It Ain't Easy (3rd). 

Danny has found someone to replace Cory, and is still working on some sort of album.  I got that from Wikipedia, so trust that info or not.  Wikipedia is wrong so often, relying on punters like us to fill in many holes.  That brings in much speculation - you know, like all the message boards do...

Haha, yes (to that last remark).

Thanks so much for the potted history. And for the heads up. I've decided to go for SFF, although there's no full album on YouTube. I'll compile one on my other board in the next few days and give it a listen.

TDN were nowhere near as well-known in the UK. Only the Randy Newman song and "Joy To The World" were hits ("MTMNTC" reached #3).   

I do remember the name Jimmy Greenspoon from the Mothers' Fillmore East album:

"We never met a pop star from Hollywood... tell me something: have you ever met Davey Jones? or Bobby Sherman?"
"No.. no, I ..."
"I mean... David Cassady, he's so..."
"Jimmy Greenspoon, once I..."
"Three Dog Night?!!"
"Yeah..."
"Oh! I love them! They're my favorite band!... ow gawd... oh, do you like my new car? I'm ah.. my Dad just gave it to me for graduation..."
"Ah yeaah?!! I'ts a ... it's a Fillmore, isn't it? Real futuristic, ah.. I dig the fins... listen: do you know how to get to the ah
Hollywood Inn from here?"

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2017, 10:21:09 PM »

John, I hope you can get the mods to do something about the Hall of Shame.  Wheels roll slow sometimes...

I stopped by Smiley tonight looking for where to find your Three Dog Night thread.  Couldn't get it to come up in a search.  When you get it done post a link, here.

I see some posters are able to embed videos.  Does that function still work?

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2017, 02:15:52 AM »

John, I hope you can get the mods to do something about the Hall of Shame.  Wheels roll slow sometimes...

I stopped by Smiley tonight looking for where to find your Three Dog Night thread.  Couldn't get it to come up in a search.  When you get it done post a link, here.

I see some posters are able to embed videos.  Does that function still work?

My list of vids for SFF can be found here:

http://beachboysforum.freeforums.org/r-the-decade-this-board-forgot-1960-1969-t1149-100.html#p30277

I may have to give it all a second listen. What really sticks out so far is the fantastic organ sound (JG, no doubt).

Thing is, this is an area that is literally foreign to someone raised in the UK. It's very American music. Like GFR, Gary Lewis, Grassroots... none of those really made it in the UK.

So... a second listen, definitely. Then I can say more about it...  

As for embedding videos... We can do that over there and you can do it at PSF, but here? I don't know. My other forum lost all its embedded videos when YouTube and Google+ changed some feature. I and others have been repairing them. I've been using the standard YT url----it's much quicker and life is short! But you can embed again over there, it was only a temporary thing...  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:28:07 AM by JK » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »

Looking around, I stopped by the Birthday thread.  What a hoot!  Read the how to embed info by Bob.  My youtube url is different to the "www.youtube.watch=?"  you guys use in Europe. 

-  Mine looks like: https://youtu.be/11111G222.

Do I just type in everything after the / (slash)?  I could just practice and see what happens.  Might mess up a post... Wink  Too bad youtube isn't more universal with this.  Surely why some of
our videos don't work from other places in the world.

Anyway, thanks for the link.  I've read that thread with interest before.  Lots of great 60's videos/tracks.  I've had the "Laugh Laugh" post bookmarked to add a comment for a while.  All I need
is more time to get busy.  Love the Rockin' Berries.  Ivy League, too.  I have some old UK vinyl comps full of those incredible  songs.  Not sure if I saw a number by Ms. Black...

Will be commenting soon on the Three Dog thread.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »

I keep saying this but I do think more folks would post here if that ridiculous "Hall of Shame" section of deleted posts were to vanish from view.

It's just an eyesore and looks doubly stupid when the "Bellagio 10452" ad appears at top right of the front page...

I'd been trying to fix it for a while...finally succeeded

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2017, 02:59:49 AM »

Looking around, I stopped by the Birthday thread.  What a hoot!  Read the how to embed info by Bob.  My youtube url is different to the "www.youtube.watch=?"  you guys use in Europe.  

-  Mine looks like: https://youtu.be/11111G222.

Do I just type in everything after the / (slash)?  I could just practice and see what happens.  Might mess up a post... Wink

Please go ahead, Will. I'll sort it out if anything goes wrong (I have certain powers over there).

In fact I've just posted on the subject in Bob's YT embedding topic...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:07 AM »

Good work, Billy (or should I say Temp, lol). Now we can all sleep more easily at night. Grin

Perhaps we should celebrate: https://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:30:15 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »

Reading the wondrous "Piano on Darlin'" topic. Fair restores one's faith in humanity it does... Roll Eyes

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »

Good work, Billy (or should I say Temp, lol). Now we can all sleep more easily at night. Grin

Can you let me know if it is still visible? I thought I had fixed it previously but others are saying they still see it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »

Can you let me know if it is still visible? I thought I had fixed it previously but others are saying they still see it

I haven't seen it in six days, Billy. After you fixed it, it reappeared briefly but I haven't seen it since then.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2017, 06:37:00 AM »

Don't know what others are saying - *I* don't see it. Thanks for fixing it.

Maybe it has something to do with how they are accessing the forum.

I occasionally saw things at my "other" forum after they'd been removed. That was before I upgraded my PC.

It's all a little too technical for me. Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:40 AM »

What a fascinating idea (at PSF)----a Mount Rushmore of musicians.

Sticking to four is supremely difficult! Ye gods!!

How about...

Elvis (the singer who set the door ajar), Chuck (the musician and composer who kicked it wide open), Brian (no explanation necessary) and one more...

Buddy? John? Paul? Frank??

Let's put Buddy in third place, followed by Brian. :=)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:54 AM »

I started the thread (based on a passing comment by Sheriff John Stone).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:42 AM »

I started the thread (based on a passing comment by Sheriff John Stone).

is this a truce, cap'n, or are you just here to size up the enemy? LOL

Anyway, here's an FZ cover we're bound to agree on:

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 06:13:02 AM »

I've got to enemies to make truces with. Glad you liked that thread idea though: when SJS said it, I knew it had to happen.

The Civ Phaze III may be my favorite FZ cover--entire package, actually, with the onionskin (if that's the right word?) art inside.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:31 AM »

The Cap is a wanted man! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »

The Cap is a wanted man! Grin
Haha. Well he's safe here. The barricades are up and the boiling oil is at peak temperature.  Ninja   

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »

I have no idea what I'm wanted for...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »

I have no idea what I'm wanted for...

I should imagine you're wanted for your erudite posts on the subject of music (and of politics, no doubt, but I'm no judge of that). :=)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2017, 04:40:51 AM »

Thanks, my good man. Though I think I've just been called a sensationalist dullard elsewhere. Another new line for the sig block, I guess...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »

Thanks, my good man. Though I think I've just been called a sensationalist dullard elsewhere. Another new line for the sig block, I guess...

Perhaps you should consider revising your posting activity if all you get for your troubles is insults...

I like my signature block as it is, otherwise I would surely add "binoculars-mislaying twat" (don't ask).

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »

I like your political posts; you say things that I agree with but am hesitant to state in public. The other day I posted something on FB mildly critical of the President and got replies from relatives such as "Shame on you!"

And I love when you post on the Food thread.

Smiley

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »

Funny thing is, I don't even think I'm (typically) confrontational or heated! Oh well...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx