gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:39:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Stack-O-Tracks
5 - 14 (21.9%)
4 - 23 (35.9%)
3 - 12 (18.8%)
2 - 12 (18.8%)
1 - 2 (3.1%)
0 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stack-O-Tracks  (Read 36251 times)
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 09:11:48 PM »

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 09:38:19 PM »

nice!
that's heaven if ive ever seen it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 06:21:04 PM »

I gave this a 4. But the question I want to know, it says on the front cover that it includes a booklet "with printed lyrics, chord symbols, lead line & bass line" so I was wondering did later issues on vinyl have this with them still, or just the first print?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:21:42 PM by mikeyj » Logged
thomasogg
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »

Well, this was something the record company just bunged out wasn't it, so I don't really rate it as a BB album, although it is interesting for several listens. The cover however could well be my all-time favourite! 5 for the cover, 5 for the musical quality, 2 for the concept
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »

I burned this on CD and added other instrumentals that have been since released. It's not something I'll play for other people but there's something about it I like. At times it can be a revelation.
The record company just put it out, but us fans like it. And the Beach Boys have continued to put out similar things, on the Box Set on these compilations that have recently surfaced.
Ad mit it fans! The fact that they put out this stuff is part of why we like them. Perfect geek band.
I give it 3/5. Probably being generous, but screw it.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »

3. Cool to hear the backing tracks but kind of an odd selection.

Plus, it's just an album of backing tracks.
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 09:00:13 AM »

Actually, a very good record to turn low and study to.  This is a more recent discovery of mine  Cheesy

Of course, I find it confusing when looking at the choice of tracks here and it's really the job of more comprehensive collections to fulfill this role rather than offering a comparatively small total of 15 tracks.  A very shallow dip into the Beach Boys catalogue by this point, to be sure.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »

It is what it is.  4 stars.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »

If I would have lived at my age of 26 during the time this came out, I would have been very appreciative of this album. Back then, it would have been much more difficult to find track only songs without the net or boots, so we're spoiled now. When I first got into the BB, I was so obsessed of finding the tracks to songs, mostly Pet Sounds tracks, which the PS box helped with. But I actually really like the track selection, it's kind of greatest hits, but it's more of a setlist from a Brian Wilson concert, early non-single tracks. I've often heard When I Grow Up was supposed to be on this album, are there any others that were supposed to be? When originally buying the albums, I didnt have any sort of boots, so I was thrilled with everything on this album, even having the bonus tracks; having the California Girls track, wow! It's kind of odd that they picked the track to Our Car Club, was it already a choice back then? I really enjoy the drums on there, they're fantastic! What a rocker. Brian's tunes from that Surfer Girl LP era were something else, the ballads were great and the fast tunes were automatic gems.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 05:28:14 AM »

Well, it's sure got a GREAT album cover...
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »

Instant collector's item Wink It's great to hear even if I would've chosen different songs.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »

Would have had a different track listing for sure but still a solid four, maybe four and a quarter.

How I wish I had four or five others to sing along with.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »

3/5.. An odd choice way back then but nowdays nothing unusual.. The lp came with a thin music book to play along if you like.. Front cover suitable for framing.. !
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »

With everyone posting about there needing to be a different selection of tunes and thinking the ones picked were odd... What songs would you have expected? (Hint hint-make a list of 12-15 track only tunes).

~post of the century~
-Mikie

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »

"Good To My Baby" was also considered but was ultimately replaced by "Do It Again." Apparently, "When I Grow Up..." was a contender, too.

More info here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9830.msg171191.html#msg171191

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »

I gave this a 4. But the question I want to know, it says on the front cover that it includes a booklet "with printed lyrics, chord symbols, lead line & bass line" so I was wondering did later issues on vinyl have this with them still, or just the first print?
I would say just the first release, but that's just because of my experience with the copy of Stack O Trackw that I have from the late seventies I believe. The sleeve had the lyrics I think, but nothing else. The cover has the reels of songs in a wooden box on the sand. Also, the twofer release didn't include any of the lyrics/tabs/etc, so that leads me to believe what I said earlier concerning re-releases.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »

The 'Let Him Run Wild' backing track is worth the price of admission alone.  Maximum ear candy. Slip on the headphones and turn it way up.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »

This LP only came with the booklet on 1st release.. When it was deleted and then re released no booklet after that..
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »

The booklet of the Japanese CD edition contains a reproduction of the chord sheet etc.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »

Found an original release for $12, no book.  Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. I would get over duophonic.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »

Found an original release for $12, no book.  Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. I would get over duophonic.

I'd buy it for $12 or so if I saw it (which I haven't, in a shop that is), although some of the genuine collectors in these parts could advise you better on the price.

And I believe the correct technique is to squeeze, don't pull.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:41:24 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »

Interesting album concept. Definitely not for the casual fan. I never realized how much Little Honda rocks! I reckon the track listing is pretty good. The only I would change would be Catch A Wave. I would put there instead Surfin' USA, I Get Around or All Summer Long.

4/5
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2015, 04:18:24 AM »

I wouldn't change a darn thing. Running the gamut from basic to complex, it must (or rather should) have been a real eye-opener at a time when this practice was unheard of, let alone commonplace.

5/5 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx