gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 07:12:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stack-o-tracks  (Read 4403 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »

I have some questions about this album.
How much were the Beach Boys (the Wilsons?) involved in the making of this album ? Who decided which tracks were used and did the mixes ?
And who was responsible for the guitar charts that came with the original LP? Did Carl or Brian tell them exactly which chords  are played?
Was there any kind of promotion ? Did any Beach Boy ever talk about it publicly except for Brian's liner notes?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »

I have some questions about this album.
How much were the Beach Boys (the Wilsons?) involved in the making of this album ? Who decided which tracks were used and did the mixes ?
And who was responsible for the guitar charts that came with the original LP? Did Carl or Brian tell them exactly which chords  are played?
Was there any kind of promotion ? Did any Beach Boy ever talk about it publicly except for Brian's liner notes?

As far as I'm aware, Carl (and maybe Brian) chose the tracks, and both of them definitely wrote out the chord charts. No promotion at all. As for the mixes, I guess they just pulled the 3-, 4- and 8-tracks, stripped the vocals away and mixed the remainder to mono.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:18:53 AM »

Any more general Info on this album e.g. the album cover which I totally love, Any reviews done at the time it was released?, Any details about the cd twofo release Who mixed them in stereo?, When was this done?, Was it really the first "Karaoke" album??, etc, etc lol
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »

According to Brad Elliot in The Dumb Angel Gazette #3, there was an in-house Capitol memorandum track lineup which replaced "Good To My Baby" with "Do It Again". Also included in DAG are a couple of pages of Carl and Brian's handwritten chord charts.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:44:35 AM »

Any details about the cd twofo release Who mixed them in stereo?, When was this done?

At the risk of seeming tetchy (moi ?)... try reading the CD booklet.

letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 03:58:43 AM »

Any details about the cd twofo release Who mixed them in stereo?, When was this done?

I've been trying to find the booklet, last time I'd see it in my hands was a few years back and since then I've moved, Got the CD just not the booklet Sad
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:01:24 AM »

I've been trying to find the booklet, last time I'd see it in my hands was a few years back and since then I've moved, Got the CD just not the booklet Sad

The petition to get you banned has started just now.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 05:04:21 AM »

Album Liner Notes.com

Jason
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »

As far as I know, When I Grow Up was also considered for the album and was even mixed down. Bootlegs have the mix which contains a bit of the "counting" vocals at the end, with at least two of the band audibly chirping "69" at the end. I don't know why it wasn't used; I'd rather have had that than Little Saint Nick or Surfer Girl.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »

Album Liner Notes.com
Thanks Andrew Smiley
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

As far as I know, When I Grow Up was also considered for the album and was even mixed down. Bootlegs have the mix which contains a bit of the "counting" vocals at the end, with at least two of the band audibly chirping "69" at the end. I don't know why it wasn't used; I'd rather have had that than Little Saint Nick or Surfer Girl.
Never knew this about When I Grow Up was considered cheers. Any more little known facts about this album?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »

Never knew this about When I Grow Up was considered cheers. Any more little known facts about this album?

I'd hope we'd learn some "new" facts about the album when I started the topic. It's just so few known. So thanks to all contributors. Was any Beach Boy ever asked during an interview about the album? I guess Carl might've had some inside

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »

In The Beach Boys by Byron Preiss Brian claims that "Stack-o-Tracks was Capitol's idea...They picked the cuts." Further on, Carl said of the album, "You'd probably be surprised at what was under the vocals. It was what was really behind them too. Just the music tracks. I like that."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx