gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681024 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 04:30:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Leaf  (Read 11380 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:29 AM »

David Leaf used to be all over anything BB's or BW related; he wrote the liner notes to all of the Capitol cd's, has written liner notes for some of Brian's solo cd's, but it's been years since I've seen his name anywhere. Has he been banished from the kingdom, or did he just move on to other things?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:39:45 AM »

http://www.schoolofmusic.ucla.edu/leaf-david
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:06 AM »

It's my understanding that his wife recently passed away.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=179551250

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »

thanks, guys
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »

That's very sad his wife died so young. It was a nice tribute David penned for her obituary.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 04:38:44 AM »

As one of her heroes was Robert Francis Kennedy, perhaps this insight from the Greek poet Aeschylus, which Bobby Kennedy admired, may bring some small measure of comfort.

"Even in our sleep, pain, which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes Wisdom from the awful grace of God."

Rest in Peace, Eva Lois Easton-Leaf.  And may God welcome you home, surrounding you in His eternal love.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:10:16 AM »

I had no idea. Very sad.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:42:49 AM »

As one of her heroes was Robert Francis Kennedy, perhaps this insight from the Greek poet Aeschylus, which Bobby Kennedy admired, may bring some small measure of comfort.

"Even in our sleep, pain, which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes Wisdom from the awful grace of God."

Rest in Peace, Eva Lois Easton-Leaf.  And may God welcome you home, surrounding you in His eternal love.

What a wonderfully touching post. I'm sure it will bring comfort.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »

It's my understanding that his wife recently passed away.

Very sad news. I met David a few times on VIP Brian Wilson concerts throughout the years. A nice, down to earth guy well known in the BB circle. His tribute was really nice I thought to his late wife.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »

I think David was very instrumental in bringing Brian to the general public. For a long time his book, "The Beach Boys and the California Myth" was a bible for me.I hope that there was no falling out.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

There would not be a Brian Wilson if David hadn't been a quiet friend and supporter in the Landy Era and beyond.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »

I think David was very instrumental in bringing Brian to the general public. For a long time his book, "The Beach Boys and the California Myth" was a bible for me.I hope that there was no falling out.
I think I annoyed my girlfriend back in 1983 because my face was stuck in that book for days at a time. I couldn't help it, it was addicting. And I eagerly grabbed the updated version when it came out in 1985.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »

Was it really 33 years ago? I had the later version and I think it help turned fandom to obsession. "Keep the flame" David told me on a couple of occasions (PS2002 tour). Still keepin' it, kids permitting.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »

Was it really 33 years ago? I had the later version and I think it help turned fandom to obsession. "Keep the flame" David told me on a couple of occasions (PS2002 tour). Still keepin' it, kids permitting.
What was nice about the updated version was how Leaf could look back on his own obsessive fan quest to try to save Brian with some perspective. I have to admit, I had the knee-jerk reaction to hate Mike (and maybe Al) after reading the first edition of the book. Glad I grew out of that.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »

California Myth was actually first published in 1978 - so it's almost 40 years old.

One of the fascinating sections of the book is at the end, where David Leaf lays out his wish list for what might be the best kind of future for Brian, from a professional standpoint.  Beginning in 1998, all of it, pretty much, came true.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »

California Myth was actually first published in 1978 - so it's almost 40 years old.

One of the fascinating sections of the book is at the end, where David Leaf lays out his wish list for what might be the best kind of future for Brian, from a professional standpoint.  Beginning in 1998, all of it, pretty much, came true.

That is indeed fascinating. Did the list by any chance involve BW finishing Smile as a solo artist?
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »

<<That is indeed fascinating. Did the list by any chance involve BW finishing Smile as a solo artist?>>

Leaf talks about Brian being allowed to record and release whatever he wants, regardless of standard commercial expectations, and among other things, live solo performances of Pet Sounds, Adult Child and Smile, among other things.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »

Don't you mean 1988?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »

<<That is indeed fascinating. Did the list by any chance involve BW finishing Smile as a solo artist?>>

Leaf talks about Brian being allowed to record and release whatever he wants, regardless of standard commercial expectations, and among other things, live solo performances of Pet Sounds, Adult Child and Smile, among other things.
Unfortunately, IMO, Brian has NOT been allowed to record and release what he wants, because someone is always pushing their vision of what they think will sell - for example, the AC sound of NPP. It seems there is always someone involved that is pushing that agenda - "we gotta make something that can get airplay, something to appeal to _____________ demographic", instead of just letting Brian follow his muse. So the albums come out, they don't sell, because radio stations don't play new music by 60-70 something musicians; Brian does a few tv appearances playing some of the new stuff; a few songs are added to the setlists for that years tour; and then the following year, the new stuff is gone and it's back to all oldies, until there is another new album to push. Is this really what Brian wants, just cranking out product because it is expected of, and touring year after year, playing those old songs we used to abuse the Beach Boys for playing?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »

Unfortunately, IMO, Brian has NOT been allowed to record and release what he wants, because someone is always pushing their vision of what they think will sell - for example, the AC sound of NPP. It seems there is always someone involved that is pushing that agenda - "we gotta make something that can get airplay, something to appeal to _____________ demographic", instead of just letting Brian follow his muse. So the albums come out, they don't sell, because radio stations don't play new music by 60-70 something musicians; Brian does a few tv appearances playing some of the new stuff; a few songs are added to the setlists for that years tour; and then the following year, the new stuff is gone and it's back to all oldies, until there is another new album to push. Is this really what Brian wants, just cranking out product because it is expected of, and touring year after year, playing those old songs we used to abuse the Beach Boys for playing?
Honest question, Lonely Summer, is the above opinion based on first-hand knowledge? Cause I agree that some of his albums (Imagination comes to mind) don't seem to be thoroughly Wilsonian, but some other solo work he's done does - given that he's no longer in his twenties and techniques have changed. I imagine in any case he likes to be making music. And he does refer to writer's block a lot, so it might be for the best either way.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 01:55:55 AM »

I tend to assume Brian himself has standard commercial expectations.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 04:05:16 AM »

Interesting! Live solo performance of Adult/Child - I'm still waiting for that, patiently. Smiley
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 06:37:46 AM »

<<Don't you mean 1988?>>

No. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:03 AM »

Other people certainly sometimes have a stronger hand in some of Brian's albums; I'd certainly love to see a true "Love You" esque "Brian solo" album with him singing and playing everything and sounding less polished.

But the trajectory you describe above (new album, TV appearances, no radio airplay, new album songs dropped from the setlist by the next tour, etc.) is common for people from Brian's era who are still putting new stuff out. The same thing is true of McCartney. That type of typical trajectory for a new album project is going to be true regardless of the quality of a Brian album or whether he does it totally "pure" with nobody else's input, or if he has a producer he's working with. Unless he had some sort of Johnny Cash/Rick Rubin sort of career resurgence and reinvention anyway.

In some cases, it's a choice between what product we get, and nothing. McCartney's solo albums have been spotty, but I go with it, because I think the point is to keep creating. Some stuff is more self-indulgent (McCartney's "Fireman" stuff, the classical pieces, techno/dance remixes, etc.), other stuff is a bit rote, some has a stronger producer hand (Nigel Godrich). Same with Brian. The Gershwin thing was a pet project of his. The Disney thing was more cookie cutter. TLOS had a strong stamp of a co-writer that didn't sound very Brian-like to me. "Smile" was obviously very Brian, albeit in a 2000s context. Live albums, live DVDs and Blurays. NPP is an odd duck a bit, a lot of different stuff going on. But he's still creating, and I think *that* part of it is still good.

Maybe nobody around Brian thinks a "solo Brian at a piano" album (or some other wholly Brian project with no other strong hand) is a good idea, I don't know. But I don't think Brian is strongly inclined to do something like that either. I think he likes and wants the collaborators (whether writing or producing or whatever) around him, so that's the product we're going to get.

I certainly hope Brian's agent and Brian himself come around to doing a super quirky, stripped-down, "all-Brian" project, though. I'd be happy with even a "Hotel Tape" sort of scenario, just perhaps more formed and structured (and obviously without other guys there). I'd love to see him just pick out a dozen songs, play them on piano a bunch of times by himself, and put that out. New songs, covers, whatever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:55:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx