-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 161896 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »

I can understand the need for sensitivity and also the need to avoid cracker-barrel psychology; on the other hand, I sorta see Howie's point; this board isn't visited too much and the main board is currently deluged in some fairly crappy threads.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:50:07 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »

This is literally the first time I've EVER posted on The Sandbox -- and actually ever read a thread on it.

I've always considered this the place for people ranting about race/politics or being silly/immature (or burying topics.)
My point is -- once it's here, it's dead.

Evidently not.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »

Bennett's side of things.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/former-brian-wilson-band-member-convicted-of-rape-20160509

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »

I feel like an ambulance chaser on this board right now, having been drawn in through one unsavory incident and then back through an even less savory story.  Please understand, in light of what i am about to say, that i believe with all my heart that Scott did wrong, that the victim gets all the concern, and that there is nothing good about this as it stands right now.

Scott was a very important piece of Brian's development over the last ten years.  Brian, early on, referred to him as "the most talented member of my band," or similar (one of the tour books).  He was a collaborator, a motivator, and a friend, and as such will always be an important part of the ouvre.

That said, his conviction clearly marks him as, at the very least, a troubled individual, and quite probably worse.  He is a rapist.

Love.  And Mercy.

If we believe in mercy, we believe in redemption.  

I understand the need to vilify right now.  I agree with it; i am participating.  The victim and her family are, and must be, our first concern, because this never goes away.  But if we believe in mercy, then we believe in redemption.  I hope that Scott will use his enforced time out - likely to last several years - to figure it out.  Not just come out saying he has changed, but actually...changing.  Getting the help he needs.  Fixing whatever that broken thing is inside that lead him to do this heinous thing, and coming out humbled, ready to make real amends, and live his life as something other than a pariah.

If you've known me a long time - damned near 20 years, some of you - then you know i'm a Pollyanna.  I believe in redemption.  I believe in appropriate punishment, and restitution, and fixing what you broke...and i believe in redemption.  I am well aware that this does not happen over night, but i hope with all of my heart that some day there will be redemption and reparations, and that Scott will be able to get on with his life having served his sentence and having made his amends.  I hope that love and mercy find him on the other side.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:47:55 PM by Susan » Logged

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/former-brian-wilson-band-member-convicted-of-rape-20160509

"Mr. Bennett did not have sexual intercourse, let alone rape the woman who brought charges. This is a case of drunken misjudgment, that led to kissing and fondling in the lobby of a hotel," McMurray adds. "The investigator admitted to leaving critical statements supporting Mr. Bennett's innocence out of his report, including but certainly not limited to Mr. Bennett going to get help for the woman, leaving her briefly in the 7th floor hallway where she couldn’t remember her room number, and going in search of security. Mr. Bennett cooperated entirely with investigators, waived all rights, but was not asked to take a blood alcohol test, which would have provided the jury crucial evidence of his level of intoxication."

I couldn't find the thread for this in the General On Topic Discussion sub-forum for some reason...regardless, here is Scott's side of the story.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 10, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

I've been thinking about posting here and finding the right words, but I'm no longer bothered to find the right words. What follows is just me working through a difficult, complicated subject.

Rape is pretty high up there on the "worst thing to do to another person" list. The fact that women are the victims of sexual aggression and used simply because they have the right biological parts is both sickening and frustrating. Vaginas appear to be a bit of a curse. I have a close family member who was raped while she was a young woman, and I still remember the way I felt when it was described to me. I've also had conversations with female friends about this subject, and they've more than once said they would be willing to fight and kill the other person if they were in this situation. It's hard to sympathize as a male, but if I ever have a daughter, she is going to know how to defend herself.

While I'm keen on throwing rapists into the trash bin that is prison, I'm also inclined to believe sometimes people just make bad, f***ed-up mistakes. It's been said I always find the good in a person, so maybe that's just my desire to believe that. However, as has been pointed out previously, the original article is really written to convince you of his guilt. It's filled with interpretation, negative wording, and it usually gives you just the right amount of details. How did he stop her on the elevator, exactly? Did she fight him? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not blaming the victim, but the article doesn't give me many details of her resistance, which is usually a reliable indication of rape. Of course, if he took advantage of her while she was incredibly drunk, that is undeniably rape. However, Scott's defense claims the encounter began in the lobby with consensual contact, and that he was drunk as well. At the moment, the circumstances are murky.

However, that's not to say that what happened to the victim is to be brushed aside. This is a traumatic, life-altering experience. The way the original article describes the color draining from her body is a clear indication of her response to what happened to her. However, even that detail is just another part of the sensationalism the article is riddled with. I'm not saying we should dismiss this experience, what I am saying is that we shouldn't be ready to hang Scott for what happened--not yet, anyway. With that said, all my sympathies go to the victim for having experienced this. I hope she can work through this and return to her normal, social existence.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: May 10, 2016, 03:43:24 PM »

Yeah, it's in the Sandbox...for now. I'm going to do a sub-forum on this particular board in a couple of days and move it there .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 10, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »

Yeah, it's in the Sandbox...for now. I'm going to do a sub-forum on this particular board in a couple of days and move it there .

The SJWs having a filed day.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 10, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »

You mean me? Having a field day by myself here?
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 10, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »

Was Scott part of the Pet Sounds sessions that Brian recently recorded for Spotify? If so, I wonder if this will affect their release...

I'm talking about these sessions: https://www.facebook.com/aljardine/photos/a.329031750468900.73041.136456489726428/1050471824991552/?type=3&theater

I don't believe so, based on this (what I would assume to be) group photo: https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/photos/pb.34250497240.-2207520000.1462843277./10154029289597241/?type=3&theater

That group photo is not from the Spotify in-studio session, but simply from the general tour rehearsals. There were some separate pics (one is in the top link in the posts above) of the separate Spotify session which looked to be set up a bit more like an actual studio session, albeit live in the studio (wearing headphones, etc.)

I don't know if Bennett was at any of these sessions. He was absent in all extant photos up to a certain point, while both Billy Hinsche and Gary Griffin were pictured. One person did post in the 2016 tour thread during the time those rehearsal pics were being shown, that Bennett  (on Facebook I would guess) "posted a pic of Brian and Al in the studio yesterday and said it was a fun day", which seemed to imply but not state outright that Bennett was at some of the sessions or rehearsals. But I don't know if Bennett actually appeared in any photos, nor do I know if there's a way to parse Bennett's words to suggest he wasn't actually there but noted that it was a good day for Brian and Al. Bennett doesn't appear to have been at the rehearsal during which that big group shot was taken.

Is this him?

Got it from here: https://www.facebook.com/aljardine/photos/ms.c.eJxNkUESxTAIQm~;UkUQTvP~;F2mo~;~_Zss3iCCgQWQXIlgxBwXPkBPkGt9IA0cMfAHZgP~;jexdHkOAVh5xFLMVFPAG~_4Bea~;IYtYUhEA2UlKs8IEWiPHxK0eUwjqI89hLwBhrJ7mKK~;iZ526ZANjhdGpA60K4cKpfP~_5h66oSwBjhX72~_YN8h2Upg~-.bps.a.1051198674918867.1073741836.136456489726428/1051198741585527/?type=3&theater

But I can't see the face that clearly...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 10, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »

You mean me? Having a field day by myself here?

No, not yet. We've only filed for one.
We're waiting for the tax information to come through.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 10, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »

nah thats not scott

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 10, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »

"Mr. Bennett did not have sexual intercourse, let alone rape the woman who brought charges. This is a case of drunken misjudgment, that led to kissing and fondling in the lobby of a hotel," McMurray adds. "The investigator admitted to leaving critical statements supporting Mr. Bennett's innocence out of his report, including but certainly not limited to Mr. Bennett going to get help for the woman, leaving her briefly in the 7th floor hallway where she couldn’t remember her room number, and going in search of security. Mr. Bennett cooperated entirely with investigators, waived all rights, but was not asked to take a blood alcohol test, which would have provided the jury crucial evidence of his level of intoxication."

I couldn't find the thread for this in the General On Topic Discussion sub-forum for some reason...regardless, here is Scott's side of the story.

I'm still troubled by some of the timing of events....what time did the concert end...where did Scott drink post concert...the lobby scene....elevator scene.....hallway scene....his room for 35 minutes......then the 7th floor scene.   None of us have had the ability to have scene the hotel video, right ?  Did Scott go for help at the end or did he just leave her there on the 7th floor hallway?  Had the hotel already called the police ?  At some point this leads to the interrogations the next morning and the gathering of evidence.  Sad but always true, guilty is guilty.  Just a lot of unanswered questions and gut-wrenching feelings for all of us.

I remember seeing BW's group for the 2nd time in St. Charles Ill. in 2011 or 2012.  This was the town on the west side of Chicago where BW bought the home in 1998 and where his band was founded.  At the intermission I was bringing back 3 waters to my seats.  It was very crowded and hot in this old vaudeville theatre.  As I was going to turn into my 2 row seats, Scott came out the side door with his daughter to get her something to drink in the back.  Crowded as heck and he couldn't even take two steps.  I gave him one of my waters for his daughter.  He was very thankful and I said no problem, just glad to help.

I now think back to the beginning...BW with the Wondermints and the sound they produced in person. And now there seems to be a hole that's tough to patch.  Yeah Billy and Griffin are the back-ups but its not the same IMO.  People aren't perfect and we all have warts.  I pray for the victim as rape is as awful a crime that can be committed.  I also pray for Scott....hoping with all my hope this was only a one time incident.  Going to be a long 34 days till 6/14....especially if one is sitting in a cell.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »

What do you mean?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »

If you've known me a long time - damned near 20 years, some of you - then you know i'm a Pollyanna.  I believe in redemption.

Hi, Sooz.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 10, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »

What do you mean?

Social Justice Warrior

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »

Hmmm...not sure how I feel about that term. Not sure I like it one bit.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »

What do you mean?

Social Justice Warrior

I fail to see what any of this discussion has to do with social justice.  Unfortunately, these kind of incidents occur everyday.  The only reason we're talking about this particular one is because it involves a musician whom quite a few of us have admired in the past.  The case will not have a giant impact on society and having an opinion on the matter is not taking a bold political stance. 

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »

What do you mean?

Social Justice Warrior
Exactly - add a typo to rant over and the field...yes field day become even more.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 10, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »

What do you mean?

Social Justice Warrior

I fail to see what any of this discussion has to do with social justice.  Unfortunately, these kind of incidents occur everyday.  The only reason we're talking about this particular one is because it involves a musician whom quite a few of us have admired in the past.  The case will not have a giant impact on society and having an opinion on the matter is not taking a bold political stance. 
I just find it odd how people are quick to call him names upon the conviction. That would mean that calling OJ names after his acquittal would have been inappropriate, right?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 10, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »

A couple of people on this board are really bad at analogy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 10, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »

I just find it odd how people are quick to call him names upon the conviction. That would mean that calling OJ names after his acquittal would have been inappropriate, right?

Not really.  That was a high profile murder case that was very clearly mishandled... Also I don't really understand the comparison.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: May 10, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »

What do you mean?

Social Justice Warrior

Have you had a close family member or spouse be the victim of rape? I have, so yeah, I'm a bit sensitive to this.

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 10, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »

How is it different? You judge one because of the jury's decision (without hearing how the trial went), but not the other? SJW exemplified.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »

How is it different? You judge one because of the jury's decision (without hearing how the trial went), but not the other? SJW exemplified.
Actually, in neither case was I basing my opinion on the jury's decision; and if I were, a not guilty verdict <> an innocent verdict.
Bad at analogy exemplified.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: