-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 160959 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 02, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »

Some new updates on the court docket case page. The public official (?) who updates the page apparently doesn't have the best spelling.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=264240&db=Rogers

Not sure I know what all the legal terms mean, perhaps someone here with more legal knowledge can elaborate:

05-26-2016    MO    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7097956    May 27 2016 8:13:36:570AM    -    $ 0.00
   DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR MERGER/MOTION TO DISMISS FOR DOUBLE JEAPORDY PROHIBITION AGAINST MULTIPLE PUNISHMENT
Pursuant to 12 O.S. § 39, Document Available at Court Clerk's Office

05-26-2016    TEXT    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7097958    May 27 2016 8:12:57:270AM    -    $ 0.00
   SENTENCING MEMORANDUM

05-26-2016    MO    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7097960    May 27 2016 8:09:29:330AM    -    $ 0.00
   MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL

06-01-2016    MO    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7103669    Jun 2 2016 10:06:02:407AM    -    $ 0.00
   MOTION TO QUASH SUBPOENA DUCES TECUM AND BRIEF IN SUPPORT

I have no more information than you and have no idea what the specifics of these are, but I can explain the general idea of what's happening. You've heard where someone is prosecuted for "one count of this thing and two counts of that thing." For instance, In Bennett's case, he was found guilty or rape by instrumentation and for sexual battery. In some cases, one can argue that those are two different charges for the same action (I don't know how the charges were broken down in this case, so I have no idea if that's the case here). In that case, it would be "double jeopardy" - even though it was one trial, it would be two "guilties" for one action, with two sentences for that action. So, the defendant's motion for merger/motion to dismiss for double jeopardy would likely arguing that that applies in this case and they want the two charges to be merged or one dismissed.
The sentencing memorandum and motion for new trial are very usual post-trial filings to argue for light sentencing or to have a new trial, which I suppose you could have guessed.
The final thing - apparently there was a subpoena for Bennett to produce some evidence (subpoena duces tecum) and they filed a motion to cancel that subpoena and a brief explaining why they think it should be cancelled.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2016, 01:52:50 PM »

Whomever is doing the record keeping in OK must have gone to public school. LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 02, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »

Some new updates on the court docket case page. The public official (?) who updates the page apparently doesn't have the best spelling.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=264240&db=Rogers

Not sure I know what all the legal terms mean, perhaps someone here with more legal knowledge can elaborate:

05-26-2016    MO    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7097956    May 27 2016 8:13:36:570AM    -    $ 0.00
   DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR MERGER/MOTION TO DISMISS FOR DOUBLE JEAPORDY PROHIBITION AGAINST MULTIPLE PUNISHMENT

05-26-2016    TEXT    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7097958    May 27 2016 8:12:57:270AM    -    $ 0.00
   SENTENCING MEMORANDUM

05-26-2016    MO    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7097960    May 27 2016 8:09:29:330AM    -    $ 0.00
   MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL

06-01-2016    MO    -    Bennett, Scott Montgomery    7103669    Jun 2 2016 10:06:02:407AM    -    $ 0.00
   MOTION TO QUASH SUBPOENA DUCES TECUM AND BRIEF IN SUPPORT

I have no more information than you and have no idea what the specifics of these are, but I can explain the general idea of what's happening. You've heard where someone is prosecuted for "one count of this thing and two counts of that thing." For instance, In Bennett's case, he was found guilty or rape by instrumentation and for sexual battery. In some cases, one can argue that those are two different charges for the same action (I don't know how the charges were broken down in this case, so I have no idea if that's the case here). In that case, it would be "double jeopardy" - even though it was one trial, it would be two "guilties" for one action, with two sentences for that action. So, the defendant's motion for merger/motion to dismiss for double jeopardy would likely arguing that that applies in this case and they want the two charges to be merged or one dismissed.
The sentencing memorandum and motion for new trial are very usual post-trial filings to argue for light sentencing or to have a new trial, which I suppose you could have guessed.
The final thing - apparently there was a subpoena for Bennett to produce some evidence (subpoena duces tecum) and they filed a motion to cancel that subpoena and a brief explaining why they think it should be cancelled.

Thanks Emily. I had kinda guessed some bits of that, but you helped fill in some blanks for me.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 03, 2016, 07:27:56 AM »

I found an interesting article from a 2013 interview with Scott.  I had no idea he got his start by writing commercial jingles.

http://scottholleran.com/writings/music/music-scott-bennett/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 07, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »

A question for anyone with some legal knowledge. In the wake of the Stanford Rape that was in the media yesterday. I read something about the potential for victims of sexual assault to sue their attackers? The actual facts of this remained murky to me, something about a Federal ruling that would have to be administered via the individual State?

My question is could the victim in the Bennett case, sue him, and would his employer be potentially liable, as he was on the premises because he was working?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: June 07, 2016, 08:02:04 AM »

I'm far from an expert on all of that, but I do know that typically playing in Brian's band (or any band of that sort) on tour is not a typical "clock in, clock out" employment situation, with strict "hours" on the job, nor a singular "job site", and so on.

I'm guessing the guys in Brian's band are more like contractors essentially, paid per gig or per tour.

Anybody can sue anybody as they always say, but I would guess the *type* of employment involved here (again, they may well not be employees but rather contractors), coupled with the incident occurring well after the "contracted" job was done, would mean Brian (or the production company running the tour) wouldn't at least easily or obviously be liable.

Perhaps you could try to sue Bennett's employer if you felt the employer knew or had knowledge prior that the employee (or contractor) would be dangerous. I dunno. If someone runs a business, and they hire their buddy as a contractor to fix a plumbing issue, and they know their buddy is potentially dangerous, and then their buddy actually *does* attack someone, maybe there are some liability issues there.

Don't know how analogous any of these scenarios are, and I would hope and assume Brian and the production company and promoters had no inkling that something like that was possible. I would guess this isn't the first time some traveling musician has dome something that they could be sued civilly for, and I don't often hear of a band or artist or production company running a tour being sued for the actions of one member in the organization. Who knows, maybe there are a bunch of insurance policies that cover that sort of stuff even if there are potential liability issues. There are probably a bunch of other insurance policies in place for other possibilities, like if something from the stage falls over and crashes into the audience, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »

A question for anyone with some legal knowledge. In the wake of the Stanford Rape that was in the media yesterday. I read something about the potential for victims of sexual assault to sue their attackers? The actual facts of this remained murky to me, something about a Federal ruling that would have to be administered via the individual State?

My question is could the victim in the Bennett case, sue him, and would his employer be potentially liable, as he was on the premises because he was working?
There is always a possibility of a civl suit for emotional distress or other kinds of damages. 

The example that most people think of is the civil suit filed against OJ Simpson for wrongful death, after he was acquitted of the criminal charges.  And they gave the families a $33 million dollar judgment.  Since OJ moved from CA to Florida, they were not able to seize the home to enforce the judgement, then the Goldman's father went after Simpson's "right to publicity" where Simpson could not make book (If I Did It) or TV deals.  There was an auction that netted $500,000 that went to the Goldman family.     

It still remains a high interest case. 

Since the file notes on the docket page, that the document is available the County Clerk's Office, it is not available online.   
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »

The other day I was thinking, is it possible the woman was not knocked out by the amount of alcohol she drank but because someone put something in her drink? That would be an explanation for the total memory loss and Scott thinking he was "just" dealing with a drunk woman that may be interested in having sex, and misjudging things when the effect of that other chemical kicked in so she couldn't defend herself any more.

Which would still be appallingly cheating on his wife, anyway.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SBGIRL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2016, 10:04:40 AM »

This morning

http://www.fox23.com/news/convicted-rapist-to-receive-sentence/342580993

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »

I didn't see anything about Brian in that news story. Thank goodness!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »

I didn't see anything about Brian in that news story. Thank goodness!
+1
Hope it stays that way.
SBGIRL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »

Unfortunately since he was sentenced this morning the latest articles do mention "former keyboardist for Brian Wilson"
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »

That's a shame.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:26 AM »

Justice was served, although five years is a slap on the wrist for such a heinous act.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »

Justice was served, although five years is a slap on the wrist for such a heinous act.

Six months is a slap on the wrist.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 15, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/155818774481744?view=permalink&id=1110902838973328

It gets worse. The victim's family has hired Gloria Allred to pursue a civil suit.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: June 15, 2016, 10:40:49 AM »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/155818774481744?view=permalink&id=1110902838973328

It gets worse. The victim's family has hired Gloria Allred to pursue a civil suit.

And *that* would be how Brian's name might potentially be dragged back out into the media in relation to this case.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:09 PM »

Six months is a slap on the wrist.

No doubt, Mr. McCabe.

bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 15, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »

The other day I was thinking, is it possible the woman was not knocked out by the amount of alcohol she drank but because someone put something in her drink? That would be an explanation for the total memory loss and Scott thinking he was "just" dealing with a drunk woman that may be interested in having sex, and misjudging things when the effect of that other chemical kicked in so she couldn't defend herself any more.

Which would still be appallingly cheating on his wife, anyway.

You don't need anything special to have a black out, you just need to drink too much too fast and you can lose your memory for hours.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 15, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

And *that* would be how Brian's name might potentially be dragged back out into the media in relation to this case.

I was wondering about this a few weeks ago. Allred tends to be drawn towards high profile cases, and Brian certainly raises the profile. Brian's official response to the incident was very terse. I imagine management realized this might have broader legal implications as time passed.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: June 15, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »

I met him various times via VIP in the past via The Ladykillers. Such a silly, stupid and gross man after this event.

5 years seems nothing.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 16, 2016, 10:51:33 AM »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ZyIAnyCD77a29rRV9NSHJOU1E/view?pref=2&pli=1
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 16, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »

I think something really good might come out of that Stanford case after all.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 16, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »

Wow, incredible strength shown by the victim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAHlT-_b-u0
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »

Wow is right. Impressive young woman. Good for her.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: