-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Lifetime ban on AGD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lifetime ban on AGD  (Read 273931 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2016, 08:47:11 AM »

A lifetime ban was imposed on AGD. This decision was unanimous by all three mods and was agreed with by the SS board administrator. There are multiple reasons for this ban. Multiple posters complained of bullying and provided backup support. This involved a long term misuse of the PM function of this board. AGD has utilized the PM function to bully those he disagreed with, in some cases those who posted content that he disagreed with, up to and including labeling them trolls and threats that he would personally have them banned. Over the period of the better part of a decade, there have been contacts made to new members, always through PM and not public, using false information, rumors, and innuendo leveled against Brian and Melinda Wilson, their children and associates, as well as band members, information which was presented as coming from inside sources yet information which has been proven false.  AGD used his status as a respected historian to present his stories and innuendo as fact, backing it up with what were called impeccable or unimpeachable sources. One example was a suggestion that one or several posters through the years were really Melinda Wilson, a charge easily proven false yet had apparently come from an impeccable source. This has been ongoing to the point where the posters contacted with this kind of information and worse, even more personal issues involving the Wilson family and various band members, was offered as inside information from not just a respected source but impeccable sources beyond that, and there is no way to tell how many people believed or continue to believe false information. Some of it turned out to be not only false, but potentially libelous.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »

Good decision. I know both firsthand and through others how horrible he could be. Some of it is genuinely shocking.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »

Wow.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »

Amazing! Yet, you allow other assholes to run amuck in here with nary a word said. Over the years it has become quite apparent that this place masquerades as a Beach Boys fan board. It is quite the opposite. This place is nothing more than a Brianista veneration site. You are driving away the knowledgeable people from this site one person at a time. I don't know whether AGD did what you say or not, but I can tell you that I never received nothing but polite correspondence. If you act civil, most times you will be treated with the same respect. People need to learn that in here, and if not being civil is the criteria for banning, then you better start getting the ban hammer out, because there is plenty to go around. You talk about libel, libel? Then you better go back and read the board again. The stuff that gets posted in here just blows my mind. This place used to be great, now it just reeks. I am totally disgusted and saddened at what this place has become.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:50:22 AM »

Wow.
Yeah. That's big.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »

Amazing! Yet, you allow other assholes to run amuck in here with nary a word said. Over the years it has become quite apparent that this place masquerades as a Beach Boys fan board. It is quite the opposite. This place is nothing more than a Brianista veneration site. You are driving away the knowledgeable people from this site one person at a time. I don't know whether AGD did what you say or not, but I can tell you that I never received nothing but polite correspondence. If you act civil, most times you will be treated with the same respect. People need to learn that in here, and if not being civil is the criteria for banning, then you better start getting the ban hammer out, because there is plenty to go around. You talk about libel, libel? Then you better go back and read the board again. The stuff that gets posted in here just blows my mind. This place used to be great, now it just reeks. I am totally disgusted and saddened at what this place has become.

I am very sorry you feel that way. You should know me better than this. Andrew and I have been friends for over 10 years, off the board. In fact, in the past I have been accused (on more than one occasion, mind you) of being biased towards Andrew, and maybe at times that has been true.  He certainly has been given more slack than the average poster (when the process for permanent bands was '3 strikes and your out', he actually was on more than that). As as for the other posters mentioned? If we're talking about the same people, well, both had been suspended previously (by me, I might add) , one of them for an entire year. At the end of the day, right is right, regardless of whomever it is. So , no, I do not generally  treat one 'side' better than the other, and I am extremely hurt and offended to be accused otherwise.

So this decision was not made lightly, and to be frank, I'm sick to my stomach over it. But it was the right call.

As far as 'nary a word to be said', speaking for myself...I tend to handle most matters privately, if at all possible.. So just because nothing public appears to be happening, doesn't mean nothing actually is being done.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:10:54 AM by ♩♬ Fear 2 Stop ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »

While the information surprises me, I see no reason to question the facts presented, given that they were presented by Charles LePage with unanimity from the moderators.
Given the facts, it's hard to avoid the result.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »

You do realize that rules are for everyone, right? BBs historian or not. Let me tell you sth. - I've got the same message about Melinda RIGHT after I said positive nice things about her in some thread. Among other things, he said she might marry Brian for money. Is that OK? Of course, I didn't believe it and stood behind my words. And - lo and behold - I was right! Ray Lawlor came into picture and confirmed in detailed post that she's good and every bashing towards her was unfair. Mr. Doe had to admit his being wrong in public but it turns out he continued spreading desinformation after that? pm'ing newbies and stuff. Do you approve it? Add to it calling people names and being rude, labeling such as beep*weasels, *beep*wits etc. I thought an author should be above it, be objective and not poke his nose and mind his business about what little arguments, even non-BBs arguments posters delve into. Just correct the dates and stuff, sth. like that.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »

I am very sorry you feel that way. You should know me better than this. Andrew and I have been friends for over 10 years, off the board. In fact, in the past I have been accused (on more than one occasion, mind you) of being biased towards Andrew, and maybe at times that has been true.  He certainly has been given more slack than the average poster (when the process for permanent bands was '3 strikes and your out', he actually was on more than that). As as for the other posters mentioned? If we're talking about the same people, well, both had been suspended previously (by me, I might add) , one of them for an entire year. At the end of the day, right is right, regardless of whomever it is. So , no, I do not generally  treat one 'side' better than the other, and I am extremely hurt and offended to be accused otherwise.

So this decision was not made lightly, and to be frank, I'm sick to my stomach over it. But it was the right call.
Billy, I am sorry that you feel offended. What I had to say was to the Mods as a whole (team) and not directly aimed at you. Also, you know that in the past that I have defended the Mods in here quite often. It is a challenging job, to say the least. Since the newest Mod has been installed, this place has virtually run amuck. His cronies get away with all kinds of crap while others who won't tow his company line come under fire. As for Andrew, he takes an awful lot of sh*t in this place. I know I would lose my temper if I was under the types of attacks that he is under on a rather daily basis around here. Again, as I stated earlier, if you act civil, you will be treated civil. Have you ever noticed that he only acted like that with certain people? I have had disagreements with Andrew in the past, but he never treated me badly. How come? Because I didn't flat out attack him for his views like a few here do with regularity, with his every post. You reap what you sow.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »

You do realize that rules are for everyone, right? ... Is that OK? ... Do you approve it?

Are you directing this all at Emily and me? I expressed surprise, not displeasure (or pleasure...I actually don't care). And she posted acceptance of the decision.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:31:20 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »

Point taken though it's tough to tell from "wow"; it can mean different things. From the context I thought it was disapproving of his ban.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »

While the information surprises me, I see no reason to question the facts presented, given that they were presented by Charles LePage with unanimity from the moderators.

This wasn't an easy thing to consider or do for anyone.  Andrew was one of the very few people who contacted me after I was falsely accused of abusing my privileges on this message board many years ago to let me know he found out my accuser wasn't a reliable or believable source of information.  I'll always appreciate him for that.  But when the moderators let me know what was going on with Andrew now, I had to agree with the course of action.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »

This wasn't an easy thing to consider or do for anyone.  Andrew was one of the very few people who contacted me after I was falsely accused of abusing my privileges on this message board many years ago to let me know he found out my accuser wasn't a reliable or believable source of information.  I'll always appreciate him for that.  But when the moderators let me know what was going on with Andrew now, I had to agree with the course of action.
Absolutely. It's a loss, because Andrew is an exacting and able historian. But you gotta do what you gotta do. And in this case it sounds right.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 12:21:30 PM »

Given that the allegations in question concern messages that most posters aren't able to see or judge, this discussion is generally going to be uninformed. It's unfortunate for all concerned.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:31:41 PM by Wirestone » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »

That it's come to this... So sad.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »

This is all so surreal.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »

As far as 'nary a word to be said', speaking for myself...I tend to handle most matters privately, if at all possible.. So just because nothing public appears to be happening, doesn't mean nothing actually is being done.

Here's a question, then; why would you allow him 'more strikes' than anyone else? I mean, for years people have said that there was unfair bias here, and you (moderators) would say that no, it isn't that way. And now here you are saying that yeah, in fact you have let certain people get away with more than they should. I don't see how that's right. I understand that I am not a frequent poster, yet I used to post here under a different name and left. Why? Because I felt AGD got away with doing pretty much whatever he wanted. I guess that moving forward, I'd just like to see some consistency. I know that moderating can be rough, but you just can't knowingly let somebody get away with stuff because you've been friends with him for 10 years.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »

I am very sorry you feel that way. You should know me better than this. Andrew and I have been friends for over 10 years, off the board. In fact, in the past I have been accused (on more than one occasion, mind you) of being biased towards Andrew, and maybe at times that has been true.  He certainly has been given more slack than the average poster (when the process for permanent bands was '3 strikes and your out', he actually was on more than that). As as for the other posters mentioned? If we're talking about the same people, well, both had been suspended previously (by me, I might add) , one of them for an entire year. At the end of the day, right is right, regardless of whomever it is. So , no, I do not generally  treat one 'side' better than the other, and I am extremely hurt and offended to be accused otherwise.

Here's a question, then; why would you allow him 'more strikes' than anyone else? I mean, for years people have said that there was unfair bias here, and you (moderators) would say that no, it isn't that way. And now here you are saying that yeah, in fact you have let certain people get away with more than they should. I don't see how that's right. I understand that I am not a frequent poster, yet I used to post here under a different name and left. Why? Because I felt AGD got away with doing pretty much whatever he wanted. I guess that moving forward, I'd just like to see some consistency. I know that moderating can be rough, but you just can't knowingly let somebody get away with stuff because you've been friends with him for 10 years.

Because it wasn't intentional. It wasn't until I looked at everything and really looked at how things have been that I realized how bad I've screwed up. I wasn't trying to let my judgment get so clouded., and for that I'm sorry as hell.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 02:20:34 PM »

lifetime is a long time sometimes!  I was at this Church, actually plenty of times when two people stood up in front of everyone and took each other for a lifetime.  In some cases I've seen this lifetime performed several times for people who said they had already promised  a life time to one or two others.  Guess lifetime isn't always lifetime sometimes is what I''m sayin".  Seems it's easier to give another chance than have me explain things , don't you agree?
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »

I am very sorry you feel that way. You should know me better than this. Andrew and I have been friends for over 10 years, off the board. In fact, in the past I have been accused (on more than one occasion, mind you) of being biased towards Andrew, and maybe at times that has been true.  He certainly has been given more slack than the average poster (when the process for permanent bands was '3 strikes and your out', he actually was on more than that). As as for the other posters mentioned? If we're talking about the same people, well, both had been suspended previously (by me, I might add) , one of them for an entire year. At the end of the day, right is right, regardless of whomever it is. So , no, I do not generally  treat one 'side' better than the other, and I am extremely hurt and offended to be accused otherwise.

Because it wasn't intentional. It wasn't until I looked at everything and really looked at how things have been that I realized how bad I've screwed up. I wasn't trying to let my judgment get so clouded., and for that I'm sorry as hell.

That's fair, and I appreciate your honesty  Smiley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »

Holy Mackerel Dandy!!!  I've shared posts, opinions and the occasional correspondence with Andrew via various related forums for over a dozen years.  NEVER has he ever tried ANY of 'this' with me.  He was true to his point of view but I saw that he had respect for other 'takes' on fact and history albeit begrudgingly.  But he did.

I know too that he has been quite ill for a couple of years and MAYBE...just maybe...his 'meds' might have tossed him for a loop?   THAT...or worry?  I don't know.  This will have an entirely negative impact on his lengthy and painstakingly precise work and his site/book as they relate to the Beach Boys.  How horrible to have your passions bring you to your knees.

sh*t!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »

You do realize that rules are for everyone, right? BBs historian or not. Let me tell you sth. - I've got the same message about Melinda RIGHT after I said positive nice things about her in some thread. Among other things, he said she might marry Brian for money. Is that OK? Of course, I didn't believe it and stood behind my words. And - lo and behold - I was right! Ray Lawlor came into picture and confirmed in detailed post that she's good and every bashing towards her was unfair. Mr. Doe had to admit his being wrong in public but it turns out he continued spreading desinformation after that? pm'ing newbies and stuff. Do you approve it? Add to it calling people names and being rude, labeling such as beep*weasels, *beep*wits etc. I thought an author should be above it, be objective and not poke his nose and mind his business about what little arguments, even non-BBs arguments posters delve into. Just correct the dates and stuff, sth. like that.
This!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:53:21 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »

The thing I'd like to know is why it took so long for these allegations to come to light. When I co-modded with Billy and Klaas I never heard anything like this...and if I had something would have been done a lot sooner.

The mods made the right decision. Some will certainly grumble but the proof presented here is damning.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »

I need to ask something just so I am clear. How private is a Private Message? Due to the fact that we are often asked to do this when threads start to get out hand, I am concerned that maybe our Private Messages are not all that private. According to what is being said by Chuck and a few others here, it seems AGD is being banned for something what we have all been asked to do. Would something like this still have happened had this all taken place through regular email? I mean misinformation is posted here ad nauseum. Even libelous type comments are here in threads and often enough, nothing is done about them. Right or wrong, if Private Messages are being read by the Mods, then I do not consider this method private. A lesson to be learned, if this indeed is the case. Thanks!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,