gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:12:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Live in Japan  (Read 8422 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »

+1 vote for the thread to keep its own identity until after this leg of the tour.

These reviews are so much more readable than "hey guys, I got seat 34a in row 99d, block 554a(I) - see you by the ice cream franchise in seven weeks - and counting!"

Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »

I certainly don't want to make the multiple threads issue a "thing." But the "2016 Tour" thread is for the *entire* tour, including the Japan leg. The main purpose is that a year, or five years from now, someone can search "Brian Wilson 2016 tour" and find a thread with all of the information all in one place.

If we start separate threads for each "leg", then in the case of, say, the UK tour, we'll have weeks of discussion outside of the "2016 Tour" thread, which kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, the longer an "off-shoot" thread is before it gets merged, the messier and more confusing that "merge" looks in the main thread. (From my limited experience anyway).

I totally understand that some folks don't read the board too much and just come on to post thoughts on a show, and maybe don't know about the main thread. But once you know it's there, and that it's for the whole tour, I can't imagine why it wouldn't make sense to post it there. It has a full schedule, ongoing cataloging of setlists, etc.

Whatever you like but if the thread could stay open that would be great. If you have anything to add to what the rest of us have written that would also be great, it's best not to bog things down with what is a simple decision for a mod.

I have commented many times on this tour and the Japan leg specifically. In the 2016 tour thread. But I'm not a mod, so anybody can start a thread about each song in the setlist for every single show if they want.

I was simply trying to offer some advice and input as someone who has spent over ten years on this board that when you start a separate thread and don't put any date in the thread title, "Brian Wilson Live in Japan" is going to be more difficult for people to catch in searches when doing searches for this tour. It's even more problematic when the title is "Brian was awesome last night!" And even then, the problem isn't the original post; it's that the entire tour discussion then gets tagged onto that thread instead of the actual tour thread. Because, well, I don't know. Because people don't read all the posts I guess.

"Just merge it after the tour" sounds like a good idea, but it adds avoidable extra work for the moderators (and they may not catch every thread and may not end up merging things), and it also makes the eventual "merged" portion of the thread more difficult to read, because it's merged by time stamp, so you have two *different* thread conversations going at the same time.

This thread can eventually go in the "Concert Reviews" section (the C50 show threads were moved there after the tour), but the "General On-Topic" forum gets WAY more views that the "Concert Reviews" section, so if we move the master 2016 tour thread there, we'll get even more off-shoot, one-off show/leg review threads.

I get it, the show *you* went to is special and you feel it deserves its own thread. If the purpose is to bask in the glow of the show, then this works just fine. I agree that a thread for a specific show, in *that* moment, works best and is most easily found. But if someone wants to look up info about the tour a year from now, your review may fall by the wayside. Which maybe most folks don't care about.

But case in point. I just searched for "Brian Wilson 2016 Tour", and about 16 threads popped up *ahead* of this "Live in Japan" thread, including threads having nothing to do with the tour. The "2016 Tour" thread popped up first. In a few more months, it's likely this "Live in Japan" thread would not even show up on the first page of search results.

We're nine shows into this tour and I've tried numerous times to politely steer discussion to the actual tour thread simply for the sake of keeping it all in one place, and I figured I for once would try to corral it all together since I started the tour thread. Just trying to keep things tidy help with this board's amazing ability to be a repository of information, especially for future scholars and research. But I ain't a mod, so have at it folks.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:08:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »

I certainly don't want to make the multiple threads issue a "thing." But the "2016 Tour" thread is for the *entire* tour, including the Japan leg. The main purpose is that a year, or five years from now, someone can search "Brian Wilson 2016 tour" and find a thread with all of the information all in one place.

If we start separate threads for each "leg", then in the case of, say, the UK tour, we'll have weeks of discussion outside of the "2016 Tour" thread, which kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, the longer an "off-shoot" thread is before it gets merged, the messier and more confusing that "merge" looks in the main thread. (From my limited experience anyway).

I totally understand that some folks don't read the board too much and just come on to post thoughts on a show, and maybe don't know about the main thread. But once you know it's there, and that it's for the whole tour, I can't imagine why it wouldn't make sense to post it there. It has a full schedule, ongoing cataloging of setlists, etc.

Whatever you like but if the thread could stay open that would be great. If you have anything to add to what the rest of us have written that would also be great, it's best not to bog things down with what is a simple decision for a mod.

I have commented many times on this tour and the Japan leg specifically. In the 2016 tour thread. But I'm not a mod, so anybody can start a thread about each song in the setlist for every single show if they want.

I was simply trying to offer some advice and input as someone who has spent over ten years on this board that when you start a separate thread and don't put any date in the thread title, "Brian Wilson Live in Japan" is going to be more difficult for people to catch in searches when doing searches for this tour. It's even more problematic when the title is "Brian was awesome last night!" And even then, the problem isn't the original post; it's that the entire tour discussion then gets tagged onto that thread instead of the actual tour thread. Because, well, I don't know. Because people don't read all the posts I guess.

"Just merge it after the tour" sounds like a good idea, but it adds avoidable extra work for the moderators (and they may not catch every thread and may not end up merging things), and it also makes the eventual "merged" portion of the thread more difficult to read, because it's merged by time stamp, so you have two *different* thread conversations going at the same time.

This thread can eventually go in the "Concert Reviews" section (the C50 show threads were moved there after the tour), but the "General On-Topic" forum gets WAY more views that the "Concert Reviews" section, so if we move the master 2016 tour thread there, we'll get even more off-shoot, one-off show/leg review threads.

I get it, the show *you* went to is special and you feel it deserves its own thread. If the purpose is to bask in the glow of the show, then this works just fine. I agree that a thread for a specific show, in *that* moment, works best and is most easily found. But if someone wants to look up info about the tour a year from now, your review may fall by the wayside. Which maybe most folks don't care about.

But case in point. I just searched for "Brian Wilson 2016 Tour", and about 16 threads popped up *ahead* of this "Live in Japan" thread, including threads having nothing to do with the tour. The "2016 Tour" thread popped up first. In a few more months, it's likely this "Live in Japan" thread would not even show up on the first page of search results.

We're nine shows into this tour and I've tried numerous times to politely steer discussion to the actual tour thread simply for the sake of keeping it all in one place, and I figured I for once would try to corral it all together since I started the tour thread. Just trying to keep things tidy help with this board's amazing ability to be a repository of information, especially for future scholars and research. But I ain't a mod, so have at it folks.

No one is arguing that this shouldn't eventually be merged, nor disputing that suggestion.  We just enjoy the convenience of finding these posts easily right now.  We're asking for a later merge, that's all.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »

No one is arguing that this shouldn't eventually be merged, nor disputing that suggestion.  We just enjoy the convenience of finding these posts easily right now.  We're asking for a later merge, that's all.

I'd say it's not any more difficult to find the tour thread (and perhaps actually easier as it's clearly labeled), which takes the same single click to read and is butted right up against this thread on the front page of the forum, and implicit in an ongoing tour thread is that the most recent posts/page will concern the most recent shows.

I also explained specifically the drawbacks of merging threads after the fact. While a thread merge helps, there are downsides (the aforementioned cross-talk that results when two different threads are merged, making it sometimes a bit difficult to read in the aftermath of that merge).

Obviously, nothing other than a thread merge can happen now. I would note that while I have no idea what the mods may choose to do (if anything), they merged a separate New Zealand/Australia thread *prior* to that leg of the tour ending. I figured the implication was that it made sense to just have all of the discussion in the main thread.

I'll concede that this is devolving into needless banter on the subject, but just moving over to the main thread would have solved this issue a day or two ago, and wouldn't have been an imposition for anybody. But as I said, have at it.  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »

Don't know whether this will work but someone posted this on a page I set up on FB re the BW tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FExX-S5dcRU

Live screening starting in a couple of hours.

Sorry to post here rather than the tour thread but the thread title more specific to it.

Edited to point out that it didn't seem to work. A shame. Live screening of some of these shows would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:15:01 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 04:26:38 PM »

I'm not taking sides but this is the SSMB in a nutshell. A guy writes a beautiful review of the show and people are arguing over where to place it. Classic SSMB!
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »

I'm not taking sides but this is the SSMB in a nutshell. A guy writes a beautiful review of the show and people are arguing over where to place it. Classic SSMB!

LOL, so true. I think Hey Jude has a point, but the beauty and care of the review that started the thread makes up for any redundancy.  I'll think about where to post my own review after I see the Osaka show...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 08:37:25 AM »

Okay, final show of the Japan tour. I saw 3 shows in 4 days, which is a bit overwhelming considering how infrequently I get to see not just Beach Boys music in concert, but live music in general. Most concerts in Hong Kong are Friday or Saturday...and because of work I am entirely unavailable from 3 to past midnight those days. Sucks!! I'll wait a few days before posting my thoughts on the whole thing. For now, just night 3.

The crowd was different, because it was a smaller theater. 2,400 people, about half the size of the Tokyo International forum which brian sold out on both nights. Today was sold out too. But where the Tokyo fans were rabid, the fans tonight were a lot closer to what I'd expect 2,400 acolytes to be like. And I felt like one of them. Silence when the music was playing, everyone just sat and watched, and as soon as the music stopped the entire room erupted into applause.

As soon as brian walked out 2000+ people all started cheering - its just his presence that mattered. The show started with heroes and villains which brian sang ok...a bit sludgy like he can be. At the end of the song the entire room went nuts and from that point on he was cheered up and he sang very well. At times better than tokyo night 2, and times worse cuz he seemed a bit hoarse. It moved along really well, the band was happy and Al especially seemed to be in a great mood. The fans loved it, there was one great front and center in the audience going WILD - jumping in the air and pounding his fists out with every strong beat. He was amazing - we called him the super fan. Matt jardine singled  him out at the end and gave him the Setlist.

This was probably the best show of the three. Pet sounds is amazing and the instrumentals get a ton of applause. They couldn't really do pet sounds better unless they got some violin in I guess....Nicki wonder btw really rules the guitar on Pet Sounds

The highlight tonight was how well every lead singer did their parts. Darian tears the house down every time he does darlin. Matt jardine in particular has sung Don't Worry Baby the last 3 shows better than I have ever heard anyone do it. His voice is clean, smooth and very precise. Hes much better than foskett, (I was gonna say Adrian Baker but that's not even funny) or anyone else I've heard do it. He takes some lead lines elsewhere like Don't Talk and it's beautiful. Hes one of the best parts of this tour. Al is as good as always....his best lead was Honkin. Everyone was really into it, even brian who just sang backing vox.

A specific highlight was One Kind of Love. Night 1 was just ok. Tonight he really knocked it out, it sounded like the recording...i couldnt believe it. He pulled out some amazing leads on every song that counted.

Blondie was Blondie. He feeds off the crowd - this was the best crowd and that made it blondies best night.

When the show ended everyone just stood and cheered until we were forced out. The band didn't want to leave and neither did the audience. I'm sure we would have all stayed there til we were entirely wiped out if we could have...

A bit sad to not get to see another show in the foreseeable future...but I'm on vacation for another week so its not too bad.

Everyone else going is gonna love this tour.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:39:40 AM by Woodstock » Logged

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the great reviews, Woodstock. I agree with you especially about One Kind of Love--that was quite a vocal performance.  I'll post my own review of the Osaka show on the tour thread soon, but it's been fun reading your take on these shows! 
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »

Great posts Woodstock....3x in 4 nights.  A lot of jealous people across the two ponds is my guess including myself at the top of the list.  Be safe going home and again, thank you for the commentaries.  So sad to think I still have to wait 6 months for the Seattle show on 10/8.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

Sincere thanks Woodstock, great reviews that really whet the appetite.

So glad Nick gets the due credit for playing on PS… he's such a fine guitarist. Can't wait to hear Matt in May… damn, can't wait to hear them all.

Can you clarify what the sound check "rock and roll" number was?

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »

Sincere thanks Woodstock, great reviews that really whet the appetite.

So glad Nick gets the due credit for playing on PS… he's such a fine guitarist. Can't wait to hear Matt in May… damn, can't wait to hear them all.

Can you clarify what the sound check "rock and roll" number was?

I think he meant 'Little Honda.'
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »

It was Johnny B Goode. Brian wanted to play it so everyone learned it on the spot.

It was amazing. Made me very excited for the rock n roll album - the arrangement sounded MASSIVE.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 09:25:58 PM »

There have been a few sound check clips come up on YouTube this tour so far. Those doing the M&Gs should have the phones ready just in case this or others come up.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »

It was Johnny B Goode. Brian wanted to play it so everyone learned it on the spot.

It was amazing. Made me very excited for the rock n roll album - the arrangement sounded MASSIVE.

Many thanks, that'd be a fine encore number. I seem to remember it being played by Brian and band a long time ago…

ETA: got it - they were encoring with it in 2005 (thanks to Eric's setlist site). Good if it gets reinstated!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:15:16 PM by John Manning » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx