gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:58:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love book out in September  (Read 62018 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »

Interesting he chose a group photo without Alan......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »

I can see that being interpreted either way. It could be a group-politics-motivated decision, or they may have just been looking to use one of those early-era pictures that evoke the band's earliest days. A lot of books and articles use those early Al-less shots.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »

Mike's book will cost me $1.01 more than Brian's.  Smokin
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »

When the reviews come out, I hope someone here purchases the audio book.  Wink Interestin' listenin'.

For gosh sakes, he never had the time to watch Love and Mercy, but he had the time to devote to a thespian reenactment of his book.

"One more time Michael. Syncopate it. Say druuugs, with disdain in your voice."

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »

Nice! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »

I'm sure the chapter on the recording of Kokomo will prove enlightening. "I wrote a great song that the band recorded WITHOUT BRIAN; at the same time, Brian and his shrink were working on a big turkey of an album that nobody bought. Landy thought Brian was the goose that laid the golden egg; what he didn't understand is that I know how to make hit records with Brian. Kokomo sold more that all of Brian's solo albums put together." Of course, the chapter on Summer in Paradise ...well, it won't even be mentioned.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »

That might get a mention in Brian's book! LOL
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »

So, how many completists will be buying the audiobook on CD? It IS a solo recording by a Beach Boy, in a way.

LOL
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »

It would be interesting for him to discuss Summer in Paradise, what he was thinking and how it went wrong.  In all likelihood, this is a book about the golden years of the early to mid 1960s, how he was cheated out of songwriting credits, TM and his life leading the band on the road.   
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 11:05:31 PM »

I'm going to wait until I've actually read the book before I decide if I'm going to like or hate it.  Grin

sort of like everyone else?

haha.

Not everyone else, evidently:

I'll buy the book but I won't enjoy it. I freaking love music biographies/autobiographies but this one will be hard to stomach. I know its going to read like a 416 page interview without the interviewer. Or maybe Wink will reprise his role in text form?

Nothing like having an open mind...  Grin

Could be the greatest musical autobiography ever... could be a complete load of old rubbish. Until I've read it, I won't know. I suspect, something in between.

To you I'm sure it will be the greatest musical autobiography ever  Grin

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 11:19:04 PM »

When the reviews come out, I hope someone here purchases the audio book.  Wink Interestin' listenin'.

For gosh sakes, he never had the time to watch Love and Mercy, but he had the time to devote to a thespian reenactment of his book.

And by "a thespian reenactment of his book" you mean... an audiobook. Like any book released by a major publisher will have.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:12 PM »

I'm going to wait until I've actually read the book before I decide if I'm going to like or hate it.  Grin

sort of like everyone else?

haha.

Not everyone else, evidently:

I'll buy the book but I won't enjoy it. I freaking love music biographies/autobiographies but this one will be hard to stomach. I know its going to read like a 416 page interview without the interviewer. Or maybe Wink will reprise his role in text form?

Nothing like having an open mind...  Grin

Could be the greatest musical autobiography ever... could be a complete load of old rubbish. Until I've read it, I won't know. I suspect, something in between.

To you I'm sure it will be the greatest musical autobiography ever  Grin

We'll compare notes, 'K ?  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 11:29:16 PM »

BW's cover looks like dummy art to me. A placeholder. Something about the fonts, art choice and spacing seems off.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2016, 11:32:21 PM »

Good call.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2016, 11:48:45 PM »

I can see that being interpreted either way. It could be a group-politics-motivated decision, or they may have just been looking to use one of those early-era pictures that evoke the band's earliest days. A lot of books and articles use those early Al-less shots.

Until it was mentioned here, the early BB photo on the cover, with Dave and thus sans Al, never occurred to me to be a slight toward Al. I saw/see it as representing the span of time from the early BBs (in photos) to ML today in the top photo.

I'm totally looking forward to Mike's book, as I am Brian's. Wonder to what extent Mike realizes that the reality is that there is no way Brian is going to come across poorly in his forthcoming autobio, while it's up to Mike to show some humility and counterbalance his braggadocio concerning the biggest hits by also focusing on being the guy who wrote the lyrics to stuff like The Warmth of the Sun and Please Let Me Wonder, rather than continually harping on the success of Kokomo. (And Kokomo is a song I love, btw. Initially I was going to mention Mike's cringeworthy Summer of Love "It'a a Love Thing", but BW has written some cringeworthy stuff too.)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:55:14 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2016, 12:48:59 AM »

Until it was mentioned here, the early BB photo on the cover, with Dave and thus sans Al, never occurred to me to be a slight toward Al. I saw/see it as representing the span of time from the early BBs (in photos) to ML today in the top photo.

I'm totally looking forward to Mike's book, as I am Brian's. Wonder to what extent Mike realizes that the reality is that there is no way Brian is going to come across poorly in his forthcoming autobio, while it's up to Mike to show some humidly and counterbalance his braggadocio concerning the biggest hits by also focusing on being the guy who wrote the lyrics to stuff like The Warmth of the Sun and Please Let Me Wonder, rather than continually harping on the success of Kokomo. (And Kokomo is a song I love, btw. Initially I was going to mention Mike's cringeworthy Summer of Love "It'a a Love Thing", but BW has written some cringeworthy stuff too.)

Al's absence occurred to me immediately upon viewing the cover photo in the wee hours of last night when it was posted on Mike's Facebook fan page (I had insomnia).  While I think that things between Mike & Al have definitely improved over the 1998-2010 period, I still don't observe them to be close friends at this point.  I alluded to this in my post earlier in this thread (although not directly).  HeyJude made some great points as well earlier in the thread...Mike, from 1998-2013, has, whether purposely or not, mentioned Al very little in his interviews, and at times seemed more than willing to write minimize his contribution to BB history. He has mentioned him a bit more often in the last 3 years, and has some complimentary things to say about Al's voice, and has mentioned that he has spoken to him, so things seemed to have thawed out a little bit.  But I would stop short of saying that they are good friends.  Even during the C50 tour and the concurrent and subsequent CD releases, Al seemed to take a distant 3rd place in importance when it came to track selection for 50 Big Ones and Live - The 50th Anniversary tour.  Look at Disc 1 of 50 Big Ones and who sings lead on the different songs. Also look at what songs got cut from Live - The 50th Anniversary Tour, and what stayed.  Brian and Mike were prominently featured, while Al was featured about as much as Bruce & Dave, although he sang significantly more leads than both.

That said, I look forward to any upcoming books, shows, and studio/live releases coming from any and all Beach Boys!  I'm grateful to have the Beach Boys that remain, and I welcome any output they give to us!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:08:14 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2016, 02:42:40 AM »

And by "a thespian reenactment of his book" you mean... an audiobook. Like any book released by a major publisher will have.

Yes but not all them are read out by the author himself, particularly when said author is in his seventies and singing for hours at a time in a punishing touring schedule for half the nights of the year.

Please delete my account
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2016, 03:01:01 AM »

Yes but not all them are read out by the author himself, particularly when said author is in his seventies and singing for hours at a time in a punishing touring schedule for half the nights of the year.

Almost all autobiographies are read by the author.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2016, 03:07:52 AM »

Almost all autobiographies are read by the author.

Morrissey's wasn't.

Please delete my account
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2016, 03:43:23 AM »

Praise be, there IS a God !!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »

BW's cover looks like dummy art to me. A placeholder. Something about the fonts, art choice and spacing seems off.

The picture is a great one imo. I remember how impressed I was when it first was shown back then on Brian's website. But unfortunately it has been totally overused in the years since.
I think it's ok to use a picture from any given time since the book is about his life and not about the year 2015/16. Same goes for Mike's book too of course.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »

Yes. An audiobook. Any book? Really? Learn something new everyday. Wonder if Brian's book will have an audiobook? I'm really too arsed to look it up right now...

Of course I'm being snide, Andrew. Something just tells me he'll devote more to his audio re-enactment than he does to vocals most nights. Why? Because setting the record straight is more important to him than air, water, and food. The elements!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »

Yes. An audiobook. Any book? Really? Learn something new everyday. Wonder if Brian's book will have an audiobook? I'm really too arsed to look it up right now...

Of course I'm being snide, Andrew. Something just tells me he'll devote more to his audio re-enactment than he does to vocals most nights. Why? Because setting the record straight is more important to him than air, water, and food. The elements!

Maybe you could find something better to be snide about than the existence of books in formats that are accessible to blind people? Personally I don't find the existence of books my wife can read to be something utterly contemptible and a sign of ego on the part of the author, but clearly you disagree.

And yes, any book released by a major publisher will now come with an audiobook version as standard. Audiobooks are seeing massive market growth even as sales of print and ebooks decline.

Mike gives us more than enough actual reasons to mock him. His book coming out in audiobook format -- which will be something stipulated by the publishers, not by him, which is a standard thing for all books published by any publisher with enough money to hire a recording studio, and which will make it accessible to disabled people -- isn't one.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »

Really. Having to reach for reading-specs nowadays, I can't bemoan an audiobook format. And if it benefits those who benefit, all the better. Don't try to twist what I said.

Simply, because of all things Love, there's something funny about a Mike Love narration. When that nasal kicks in, it's gonna be funny. But then again, as the saying goes, your mileage (and sense of humor) may vary.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »

Simply, because of all things Love, there's something funny about a Mike Love narration. When that nasal kicks in, it's gonna be funny. But then again, as the saying goes, your mileage (and sense of humor) may vary.

I hope he belts out WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN whenever that word comes up!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx