gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:20:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love book out in September  (Read 62006 times)
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »

I greatly hope to be proven wrong, and for Mike to dig deep and talk about his own issues. There needs to be balance if (and we know it won't be an "if") he's gonna go out of his way to talk at length about the Wilson brothers' issues.
It could be that by titling the book "My Life as a Beach Boy," instead of, say, "My Life" that the appropriate boundaries have been set.  If it doesn't strictly concern the Beach Boys, then it's not pertinent to the subject matter of the book.  Wait and see approach.

I'm honestly not expecting much from Mike or Brian's book, but I'll still read them with great interest.
I expect, or at least hope that both will deliver something. The main questions in both cases are (a) has this person gained any awareness, or perspective, or wisdom about his life and the Beach Boys; and (b) is he willing to share this perspective publicly in an autobiography.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »

I'm sure there will be some "new" stuff in the book. But I'm guessing the pre-Beach Boys material will include most of the interesting, new information.

I've always been of the "any BB autobiography might just be a bad idea" mind, but assuming Brian does actually put one together, I'm glad that it appears it will happen after Mike's, so there might be a chance to refute any inflammatory rhetoric.

I sense Mike's book, in terms of Brian (and I have little doubt at this stage that Brian will play a huge role in this book, perhaps larger than someone who's not the author should for an autobiography), will play much like his interviews and stage patter. Lots of praise, but with a backhanded quality. Essentially, Brian *was* amazing when he was 24 and still buds with Mike, with a tiny bit of the patronizing "Brian still has that ability" with the layers of regret as if he's not using that ability to the utmost unless he's writing with Mike in a room.

The books (both books, though Mike's more so) also probably put an extra death knell into any already-unlikely reunions. There's really no way this book will make any relationships better. At best, it will be innocuous, and at worst it will be like recent Mike interviews where long-past issues are dredged up again.

And Al will probably relatively rarely be mentioned, relegated to a few times where Mike mentions he and Al didn't do drugs, and maybe a quick foray into the 1998 splintering.

Considering that Al was one of Mike's most recurring Beach Boys collaborators in the 1970s, it's surprising that he doesn't mention him much in interviews. Like hardly at all, because Al's just off "doing his own thing", cough cough. And I assume, like you, that Al won't be discussed much in the book either. I imagine there won't be much about Bruce either.

The Mike-Al relationship to me is more mysterious and interesting than the Brian-Mike relationship. Brian-Mike is complex, but sadly I think a lot of the obvious, stereotypical tropes (jealousy, ego, etc.) are truly at the core of that one. The Mike-Al deal might be less complex, but it's also less explored.

I think Mike rarely mentioned All post-1997 through most of the 2000s due to the various BRI/Al lawsuits and whatnot. I think Al was (mostly successfully) marginalized in that timeframe, and not mentioning Al meant not giving him or his band or cause any publicity, nor drawing attention to another "original" BB that wasn't in the touring band.

I remember some insiders mentioned back all the way in the early 2000s that certain parties were peeved that Al continued to associate himself with "The Beach Boys" in any way. For instance, Al did a nice interview back in 2001 on the internet to talk and promote the "Hawthorne, CA" set. A lot of the "Family & Friends" and other related suits were still winding their way through the system at that time, and I heard that some parties were pissed Al was still presenting himself as any sort of spokesperson for the BBs, even on archival releases.

I think some of that stuff relaxed in the late 2000s when the lawsuits (involving Al anyway) were all done with. Mike still didn't (and still doesn't) often talk about Al in much detail, but I feel like he at least said Al's name in interviews a bit more often. To be sure, I think some of the paucity of Al mentions is due to Al being Al. He is the marginalized, "waiting for a bus" guy.

I feel like, and this is just my opinion, that Mike would just as soon marginalize everyone else in the BBs and rarely mention them. But this simply can't be done with Brian. But it can to a large degree with Al.

I think an "Conversations with...." book for each BB would be the best. It's why the non-descript "In the Own Words" Beach Boys book from the 90s is one of the better ones, even if it sadly and frustratingly doesn't cite any of its sources.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

What's the quickest any reader from this board will power through Mike's book? Not skimming it, but actually reading every word?

I read Scott Wilson's book in one long sitting as soon as I got it. Grammar issues aside (which I could care less about), it was engrossing and I couldn't put it down.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »

I think some of that stuff relaxed in the late 2000s when the lawsuits (involving Al anyway) were all done with. Mike still didn't (and still doesn't) often talk about Al in much detail, but I feel like he at least said Al's name in interviews a bit more often. To be sure, I think some of the paucity of Al mentions is due to Al being Al. He is the marginalized, "waiting for a bus" guy.

I feel like, and this is just my opinion, that Mike would just as soon marginalize everyone else in the BBs and rarely mention them. But this simply can't be done with Brian. But it can to a large degree with Al.

The marginalized thing must bug Al on some level. Al has probably put up with feeling that way for decades. One might expect Mike who seems like the BB who is most hurt (sometimes very justifiably) by feeling marginalized himself, would go out of his way to not act in a marginalizing manner to other BB members. Yet one would probably be incorrect in assuming that.

Maybe we'll be wrong, and Al will get his due in the book, even if Al isn't the surf word man. I hope for the best, but won't bet any bucks on it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:05:37 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »

It's truly strange why Mike thinks he is marginalized when Al couldn't be near the BBs name for 12 years after decades of hard work touring. I hope Mike is fair to Al in his book.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 11:02:58 AM »

The marginalized thing must bug Al on some level. Al has probably put up with feeling that way for decades. One might expect Mike who seems like the BB who is most hurt (sometimes very justifiably) by feeling marginalized himself, would go out of his way to not act in a marginalizing manner to other BB members. Yet one would probably be incorrect in assuming that.

Maybe we'll be wrong, and Al will get his due in the book, even if Al isn't the surf word man. I hope for the best, but won't bet any bucks on it.

My sense is that Al used to be more bitter and grumpy about it, but he's much more mellow and at peace now. His interviews weren't *regularly* full of vitriol about Mike over the recent decade and a half, but they were occasionally pretty snippy, which I wasn't always a bad thing. These days, he seems to kind of laugh off the Mike stuff more, such as his few quotes in the Rolling Stone piece.

And Al certainly lives in the shadow of Brian in the appropriate way, which is with respect and admiration rather than patronizing and egotism. He seems much happier not trying to prove to anyone that "he's a genius too." He has also been much more frank about his foibles from the past, admitting in interviews things like not fully recognizing Dennis's talents back in the day, while also offering genuine explanations for why that was (Dennis could be a pain, etc.).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »

It's truly strange why Mike thinks he is marginalized when Al couldn't be near the BBs name for 12 years after decades of hard work touring. I hope Mike is fair to Al in his book.

I doubt Mike's gonna say much (if any) really bad stuff about Al in the book. I think the slighting will probably come from the small quantity of material that will likely be about Al. Which, to me, says a lot due the very action of saying very little, you know?

AGD's right though. I won't prejudge the book before reading it. I'm just expressing my educated guesses. I long to be wrong about my assumptions, and will happily stand corrected if my current guesses are offbase after reading it.

Here's a question... which of the living BBs and spouses will actually read the book cover to cover?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:11:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 11:07:40 AM »

My sense is that Al used to be more bitter and grumpy about it, but he's much more mellow and at peace now. His interviews weren't *regularly* full of vitriol about Mike over the recent decade and a half, but they were occasionally pretty snippy, which I wasn't always a bad thing. These days, he seems to kind of laugh off the Mike stuff more, such as his few quotes in the Rolling Stone piece.

And Al certainly lives in the shadow of Brian in the appropriate way, which is with respect and admiration rather than patronizing and egotism. He seems much happier not trying to prove to anyone that "he's a genius too." He has also been much more frank about his foibles from the past, admitting in interviews things like not fully recognizing Dennis's talents back in the day, while also offering genuine explanations for why that was (Dennis could be a pain, etc.).

I think Mike must on some level view Al as a once-ally who became a "defector", maybe similar (on a much smaller level) to how he might view his own brother Stephen as a defector, and Al being marginalized is likely just a side effect of that probable resentment.  

Al rules. If anything, Mike's book should logically express awe at how well-preserved Al's voice is due to his clean living. I think Mike doesn't - and won't in the book - because it doesn't serve Mike well to remind people of the amazing vocal talent Al still is... while the glaring contradiction exists that Al is, for "some" reason, is not in the band with Mike (despite wanting to be).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:15:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »

I don't think the guys on the "bands reunited" show could work with the BBs! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »

I can't wait for September, because it's gonna be a September of Love!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »

I'm going to wait until I've actually read the book before I decide if I'm going to like or hate it.  Grin

sort of like everyone else?

haha.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 11:34:21 AM »

I'm going to wait until I've actually read the book before I decide if I'm going to like or hate it.  Grin

sort of like everyone else?

haha.

Not everyone else, evidently:

I'll buy the book but I won't enjoy it. I freaking love music biographies/autobiographies but this one will be hard to stomach. I know its going to read like a 416 page interview without the interviewer. Or maybe Wink will reprise his role in text form?

Nothing like having an open mind...  Grin

Could be the greatest musical autobiography ever... could be a complete load of old rubbish. Until I've read it, I won't know. I suspect, something in between.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:36:01 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:37 AM »

I've heard it's not the way to judge a book, but does anyone else think the cover is a bit uninspired?
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »

Oh Mike Mike... the cover of the book is just. Ah...
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »

Brian's isn't much better

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »

not a great cover, agreed.

Mike looks pretty sleazy, but that's how he rolls. he should really stop with the praying hands in every damn shot.
interesting too that Mike seems somehow separate in the group shot and the furthest away with the Wilson brothers together in the foreground. as they should be. when you think about it, Brian even provided the book's title.

how about an alternate cover contest? here's my submission. Mike seemed to like it before:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:01:59 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 02:15:08 PM »

Nice photo, but it's... what... nine years old ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »

I was looking at the cover of Mike's memoir and I was wondering what it reminded me of. . . .  and then it hit me!!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2Ba0yqTN6L._SY290_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »

Yes! LOL

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »

To our esteemed authors here. How important is a cover? A turban headed, shirtless, tight gold lame pant wearing Mike on the cover may cause some to shudder, but it may stop others in their tracks and then open up an read a few paragraphs, perhaps catching their interest.

Or do people actually go to bookstores anymore.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »

Quick, someone go pre-order Mike's book on eBay and then feign confusion over whether it was a "Mike Love" book or a "Beach Boys" book..........

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »

Ah that description...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 02:54:58 PM »

Nice photo, but it's... what... nine years old ?

I would assume plenty of autobiographies don’t use contemporary photos. As it is, I don’t think Brian looks hugely different now compared to those circa-2007 shots. Just more grey and a bit more wrinkled.

But let’s be honest; if Mike hadn’t specifically used a head shot taken from that same 2015 touring band photo shoot at the train station that every local paper has used for stories, it looks exactly the same as Mike has for the last decade. Kudos to him for aging to a certain point and then looking pretty much the same for a decade or more. But we can only date these photos because they’re both using well-known and often-used publicity photo shoots.

I’ve never been fond of Mike’s goatee look since he started doing it circa 1998 on and off. I think the full beard look makes him appear a bit friendlier and more kindly for some reason (a near full beard briefly resurfaced circa 1992, and again briefly in the 2000s), so I’d rather either see that or the clean-shaven look. Something about the goatee just seems kind of too groomed and douchey. But that’s 100% my own thing. I was glad for some weird reason he went back to clean shaven for C50.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:56:15 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »

I think the Beach Boys photo that was selected for the cover speaks volumes.

That said, I appreciate the contributions of each individual Beach Boy, and enjoy all their shows and I'd buy any of their biographies.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:27:54 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »

I mean this genuinely, I'm curious, considering the book's blurb touts Mike as an "environmentalist", if Mike's book will address the disparity between environmentalism and some of the politics and people that he has tacitly or directly endorsed or at least supported. 

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx