gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:30:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backing Vox 'Let's go away...'  (Read 39904 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »

Can't tell someone something they don't want to hear.

This is just flabbergasting, though.  I mean my lord.  It's flute.  There is no room for difference of opinion, it's an objective fact, documented on paper and on audio tape.  So, I'm out.

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2016, 06:38:36 PM »

this thread is classic  LOL  can't believe this is being debated either.  Maybe the background vox will be more prominent on the 50th set  LOL
Well unfortunately ''Let's Go Away For Awhile [Unreleased Background Vocals]'' isn't on the 50th anniversary edition's tracklisting, so the debate rages on.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »

I think it could be vibes and something else - maybe flute but I can't hear it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibraphone

Oh, it's not vibes - (1) they're on the basic track and not the overdub...and the sound being debated is definitely on the overdub, (2) the vibes, which are quite audibly NOT the sound in question, appear earlier in the song but drop out by that part of the song when the player, Julius Wechter, swiches to tympani (again - on the basic track), and (3) that sound is nothing like vibes. It is either a flute (maybe an alto flute) or violas buried in echo. Josh's ears tell him flute, so I'm good with that.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2016, 09:18:20 PM »

Isn't it possible that Carl could have contributed vocals via telephone while the flute player was in the bathroom?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »

Isn't it possible that Carl could have contributed vocals via telephone while the flute player was in the bathroom?
LOL

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2016, 09:28:01 PM »

it could be a ghost....let's call TAPS and have them investigate...
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2016, 12:51:33 AM »

If it is flute/woodwind I think there's something else playing rather than just reverb decays.  Not sure why you're so convinced it can't be vibes.  To me it sounds tonally like they could be in there.

Apart from whatever instrument it is I'm interested in why some of us can clearly hear a certain sound and some seemingly can't.

I think it could be vibes and something else - maybe flute but I can't hear it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibraphone

Oh, it's not vibes - (1) they're on the basic track and not the overdub...and the sound being debated is definitely on the overdub, (2) the vibes, which are quite audibly NOT the sound in question, appear earlier in the song but drop out by that part of the song when the player, Julius Wechter, swiches to tympani (again - on the basic track), and (3) that sound is nothing like vibes. It is either a flute (maybe an alto flute) or violas buried in echo. Josh's ears tell him flute, so I'm good with that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2016, 01:00:09 AM »

If it is flute/woodwind I think there's something else playing rather than just reverb decays.  Not sure why you're so convinced it can't be vibes.  To me it sounds tonally like they could be in there.

Apart from whatever instrument it is I'm interested in why some of us can clearly hear a certain sound and some seemingly can't.

]Oh, it's not vibes - (1) they're on the basic track and not the overdub...and the sound being debated is definitely on the overdub, (2) the vibes, which are quite audibly NOT the sound in question, appear earlier in the song but drop out by that part of the song when the player, Julius Wechter, swiches to tympani (again - on the basic track), and (3) that sound is nothing like vibes. It is either a flute (maybe an alto flute) or violas buried in echo. Josh's ears tell him flute, so I'm good with that.

See, this is the reason why people can get irked. Craig has access not to merely the session documentation but also, when required, the tapes themselves. That's why he's convinced it's not vibes. He's gone to the ultimate source and given you a very detailed answer, yet you're still questioning his accuracy. I'm thinking he could play you the discrete tracks and you'd still go "yeah, well, I still think...". Like I said, you can't tell someone something they don't want to hear. You think it's vibes. It isn't.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:03:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »

If it is flute/woodwind I think there's something else playing rather than just reverb decays.  Not sure why you're so convinced it can't be vibes.  To me it sounds tonally like they could be in there.

Craig is conviced it's not vibes because there was no vibraphone player on the overdub session, and because it doesn't sound anything, at all, even slightly, like there's a vibraphone playing that part.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2016, 01:19:54 AM »

Right - I missed that there was no vibes player at the OD session.

I wasn't insisting its vibes I was trying to work out what it is exactly - people's favourite seems to be flutes with massive reverb combining with other reverbs.

Whatever it is I'm hearing I'm interested in why some of us can hear it and some can't.  Josh can't hear the sound I'm talking about.

Craig is conviced it's not vibes because there was no vibraphone player on the overdub session, and because it doesn't sound anything, at all, even slightly, like there's a vibraphone playing that part.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2016, 01:24:47 AM »

Everyone's hearing and aural perception is different. Thankfully.  Smiley

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »

Carol Kaye is singing on it...I'm sure she's going to announce it any time soon...  LOL
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »

Pitch bent vibes..?

Asked a mate of mine who's a producer/string arranger for BBC and loads of others.  Here are his comments:

Pretty sure that's not vocals.   Don't think it's flute either though.  Sounds more like a vibraphone note that's being bent somehow - hard to say as it's very reverby.  it's quite sine wavy so could be anything including e.g. a filtered vocal but that's reaching - there's no sonic indications to me that it's that over and above another sound.

I think it's this

http://www.malletjazz.com/audio/02_01_02.wav

that's a vibraphone being pitchbent through player technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyHSZ71bnxk

(André Cayer - Vibraphone - Method of bending tone (2014)
Now on Amazon! More information on www.andrecayer.com André Cayer - Vibraphone - Method of bending tone (2014) pitch bend, pitch bending Vibraphone : André C...
youtube.com
Chat conversation end)

There is such a wide gulf here between opinions that I just presume some of us are talking about different parts..?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:22:23 AM by mike moseley » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2016, 10:20:28 AM »

In other news: black is white.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:17 AM »

Have you read the whole thread properly and listened to LGAFA and also the vibes pitch bending audio/video..?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2016, 10:34:59 AM »

Pitch bent vibes..?

Asked a mate of mine who's a producer/string arranger for BBC and loads of others.  Here are his comments:

Pretty sure that's not vocals.   Don't think it's flute either though.  Sounds more like a vibraphone note that's being bent somehow - hard to say as it's very reverby.  it's quite sine wavy so could be anything including e.g. a filtered vocal but that's reaching - there's no sonic indications to me that it's that over and above another sound.

I think it's this

Now on Amazon! More information on www.andrecayer.com André Cayer - Vibraphone - Method of bending tone (2014) pitch bend, pitch bending Vibraphone : André C...
youtube.com
Chat conversation end)

There is such a wide gulf here between opinions that I just presume some of us are talking about different parts..?

So once more Craig's accuracy is questioned. Remember, he's  stated there are NO VIBES on the discrete track in question. Seriously, guys...

mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »

And yet here's an extremely experienced working producer/arranger who has picked out the sound and suggested something that sounds almost exactly like it.

No flutes no vibes (no vox either to be fair).

Pitch bent vibes..?

I think it's this

youtube.com
Chat conversation end)

So once more Craig's accuracy is questioned. Remember, he's  stated there are NO VIBES on the discrete track in question. Seriously, guys...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »

And yet here's an extremely experienced working producer/arranger who has picked out the sound and suggested something that sounds almost exactly like it.

Craig has access to the AFM sheets for the actual recording session. He has access to the multitracks and session recordings. Your friend has neither.

On the evidence of my own flawed ears alone, I would have been prepared to believe there might be a vocal in the mix, but people with better knowledge than me say otherwise, so there's not. It's a flute.

But why are you so obsessed with this idea that it's a vibraphone? When there was no vibraphone player at the session that produced that part? When it doesn't sound to anyone but you and now apparently your friend like a vibraphone? When people who have access to the tapes say it's not a vibraphone? This is just strange now.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »

Have you read the whole thread properly and listened to LGAFA and also the vibes pitch bending audio/video..?

Hence my comment.

Seriously, I doubt there is anyone on this board that wouldn't love to discover something like this. No-one's saying no for the hell of it. Some of these people just know the ins and outs, that's all. There's no malicious intent.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:27:48 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »

I remember years ago I was sure I heard a girl singing "bye bye" behind John Lennon's last "bye bye" at the very end of She's Leaving Home. It is hard for me to not hear it whenever I listen to the song today. Nevertheless, I accept that it's just some sort of trick my brain is playing on me that's making me hear that because I know there is no evidence that says that there is a girl singing at the end of that song. Unless someone eventually shows me otherwise...
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »

You're saying Craig has pulled out and listened to the multis..?  (AFM sheets are not 100% accurate)

If he has we must be talking about different parts.  The part I'm talking about sounds nothing like a flute.

I'm not obsessed that its vibes it just sounded to me like there might be vibes in there.

Craig has access to the AFM sheets for the actual recording session. He has access to the multitracks and session recordings. Your friend has neither.

On the evidence of my own flawed ears alone, I would have been prepared to believe there might be a vocal in the mix, but people with better knowledge than me say otherwise, so there's not. It's a flute.

But why are you so obsessed with this idea that it's a vibraphone? When there was no vibraphone player at the session that produced that part? When it doesn't sound to anyone but you and now apparently your friend like a vibraphone? When people who have access to the tapes say it's not a vibraphone? This is just strange now.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »

Sure but a few of us don't hear a flute in the part I'm talking about and that includes a very experienced producer with top of the range gear to listen to it on.

I remember years ago I was sure I heard a girl singing "bye bye" behind John Lennon's last "bye bye" at the very end of She's Leaving Home. It is hard for me to not hear it whenever I listen to the song today. Nevertheless, I accept that it's just some sort of trick my brain is playing on me that's making me hear that because I know there is no evidence that says that there is a girl singing at the end of that song. Unless someone eventually shows me otherwise...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »

Sure but a few of us don't hear a flute in the part I'm talking about and that includes a very experienced producer with top of the range gear to listen to it on.

Even if a few people heard the "bye bye" part that I'm hearing along with an experienced producer, I'd still be inclined to trust the evidence that exists.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »

f*** it, I've had enough. Yes Mike, you're right and everyone else is wrong, including Craig. Never mind there's no vibes on the part you're listenting, you're right. They're vibes. Satisfied ?

mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:45 AM »

I get you but this is an actual clearly audible part that to a few people at least doesn't sound at all like a flute.

Even if a few people heard the "bye bye" part that I'm hearing along with an experienced producer, I'd still be inclined to trust the evidence that exists.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx