gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:06:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure Beach Boys songs  (Read 17055 times)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »

Any songs that you feel a little bit of shame for enjoying? Personally, I find the discofied Here Comes The Night is actually pretty good, even at 11 minutes, and Student Demonstration Time rocks, 'cept for the lyrics.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »

Among others, I'd include most of the debut album, "Match Point Of Our Love", the disco "Here Comes The Night" and the blissfully cheesy "Make It Big"
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »

I have loved Match Point Of Our Love from the first listen and will never feel any guilt about it. But that's not the point of this thread, is it? OK, I know. I think that's one that is usually seen as one of their worst songs, but I really enjoy Belles of Paris.

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »

California Calling - I don't get the hate this song gets.  I think it's one of the better songs on BB85.

Other than the Here Comes the Night disco version, I like most of MIU/LA.

Kokomo - I don't care.  I like this song.  Always have. 

Daybreak Over the Ocean
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »

Anything from the 80's. I grew up with that era of the band, so i am partial to a lot of that material.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:07:27 PM »

Hey Little Tomboy and Roller Skating Child make me feel guilty!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:10:26 AM »

I like "All Dressed Up For School" and "Hey Little Tomboy".

I always sing along to 'Hey Little Tomboy' (M.I.U. version, although I find the Adult Child version with the "now let's put a dress on and wear a little make-up" and "okay now, shave your legs now for your first time" comments inappropriately hysterical for a band that was portrayed to the public as being 'squeaky clean'.

"Roller Skating Child" is another fun song to sing in the car. The words are so goofy but it was sung like they really mean it. I like the live 1979 version. It is more uptempo and sounds like they were having fun. Al blows his lines and you can hear him laughing. Speaking of Al, "Honkin' Down the Highway" is another guilty pleasure. "Gosh-darn highway?" Love it.

But Roller Skating Child sounds creepy because Mike is singing a song about making sweet love to the 'Roller Skating Child' - the concept of which was inspired by Brian's daughters going ice skating. Then you have lines like "...we'll make sweet loving when the sun goes down, We'll even do more when your mama's not around"... The implication is that they are making 'sweet loving' when the mother is still there, isn't it? LOL.  And after making 'sweet loving' what else are they going to do when her Mama's not around? Anal?

Anyways, on with guilty pleasures.

Every summer mix tape I have includes "Almost Summer" (and often "Cruisin" from the same album), "It's a Beautiful Day", Chasin' The Sky" and "Keepin' The Summer Alive". The Last two rock and I always wished Carl put out a solo album with this type of music as his voice is perfect for it. 
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 05:07:56 AM »

"Oh Darlin'"

Please delete my account
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »

Oh boy I've got so many...

Lady Lynda, Maybe I Don't Know, Loop De Loop, Slow Summer Dancin'
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »

Any songs that you feel a little bit of shame for enjoying? Personally, I find the discofied Here Comes The Night is actually pretty good, even at 11 minutes, and Student Demonstration Time rocks, 'cept for the lyrics.
It is all guilt-free for me!  LOL
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »

I like Summer in Paradise, not least for  the Roger McGuinn guest vocal. Just about the only good thing about that album.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »

I love the performance of Student Demonstration Time.  I could even look past the lyrics if not for that irritating siren sound effect. 
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »

In one sense, more or less anything from 1976 - 1993  Grin,  Pacific Ocean Blue and BW88 excluded.

Also, any Bruce Johnston-written song.

The older I get though, the more guilt-free I feel listening to those eras for what they are. Dammit, I even like some of Mike Love's solo work and Summer in Paradise  Cool Guy

More seriously, I think there is more good stuff from 76-93 than is often said, it's just that some of it suffers from either over-glossy production (85-93) or at times rough vocals (76-82). As a fantasy, it would be nice to imagine BW and the surviving boys got together now and did an album re-recording some of the best songs from this era with better vocals and a more 'timeless' production, just keeping all of Carl's vocals intact Smiley.

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 04:04:18 PM »

I'd also add Tears in the Morning, Endless Harmony, and Still Cruisin' as favorites of mine, even if Tears is a bit melodramatic.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 05:05:55 AM »

Still Cruisin'... fun song with terrible lyrics.

I also quite love their version of Crocodile Rock.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 05:15:03 AM »

It is all guilt-free for me!  LOL

Same here.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »

Even the so-called "worst" BB songs have something redeeming about them.  There's no guilt involved for me. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »

"Shortnin' Bread"

Grin
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »

"Deirdre"...I can't be seen in public with that song, yet I can't resist.  It's even better if you listen to it thinking that the song is not about a girl, but an ode to a returned Irish Setter. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

Lazy Lizzie. I know it's a Brian demo, but still...
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »

Love Is A Woman gets stuck in my head way more than it should...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »

"Deirdre"...I can't be seen in public with that song, yet I can't resist.  It's even better if you listen to it thinking that the song is not about a girl, but an ode to a returned Irish Setter. 

"We'll take a bath"...? The mind boggles! LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 09:18:40 AM »

"Deirdre"...I can't be seen in public with that song, yet I can't resist.  It's even better if you listen to it thinking that the song is not about a girl, but an ode to a returned Irish Setter.  

"We'll take a bath"...? The mind boggles! LOL

Actually, some people use "we" to mean "you" in a baby-talk sort of way.  "Yes, we need to take a bath because we've been out rolling around in **** again, haven't we?  Yes we have!"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:19:26 AM by sockittome » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »

Heavenly Bodies.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 09:49:20 AM »

South Bay Surfers

Heavenly Bodies.

Love this one too!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx