gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:02:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Being Funny  (Read 7811 times)
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:56:42 PM »

I was watching and listening to "The Lost Concert", and during "Long Tall Texan" Brian keeps turning to Carl and Al every time Mike says the titular lyric and appears to make fun of him (or the Long Tall Texan character). You can't really make out what he's saying, except at 4:30 I think he says "He likes his job", which I think is a very funny line compared to the punny humor they usually showcase.

This link should start the video at the start of the song:
https://youtu.be/bGp1a4O29oI?t=3m4s

Anyway, this got me thinking about the possibility of other genuinely funny jokes the boys have made. If you know any, please share.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »

Earl Leaf. Hi Fig
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:35 PM »

Capitol Records representative Dick Rising.  Good one Denny

Make waves, not love
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »

It's not a Beach Boy saying it, but it came to mind just now, as a comment I always find hilarious, when Lenny Waronker and Randy Newman are talking about Good Vibrations in IJWMFTT. Waronker calls that record "the Gone With the Wind of rock and roll", to which Newman adds "it cost as much, too!"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 11:02:04 PM »

"Pin cushion", Live in London

“We live in divisive times.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:14:21 AM »

"I like food"
KDS
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »

When I saw Brain in June, when he introduced Surf's Up, he said "This is a really long song.  It goes on for about twenty minutes."

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »

Earl Leaf. Hi Fig

Wasn't it "Earl Tree"? :-|

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »

Capitol Records representative Dick Rising.  Good one Denny

It seems churlish to spoil the gag... but it was established a few years back that Richard Rising (or possibly Reising, I don't recall...?) really *did* exist, and really was a Capitol executive at that time. I mean, I'm sure Denny didn't bring him up just because of his amazing... er... artist representing skills (or whatever it was he did at Capitol)... but he wasn't a total play on words — the guy really existed.

What kind of parents must he have had? I mean, sure, call your son Richard, but when you have THAT surname? And he wasn't exactly blameless, either. At some point, he must have started saying 'Hey — call me Dick'...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »

I've rarely thought of the Beach Boys as "funny" in the relatively "traditional" sense, like having a friend who you think has a really good sense of humor. I would imagine at least some of the BBs *were/are* like that in their actual private lives, but we haven't much had the chance to see that. I'm sure Dennis could truly be hilarious, and I've heard Carl could be really funny. But for better or worse, Carl always came across as polite and quiet. Maybe you'd get a smile and head tilt, and that was about the most insight you'd get.

But as far as how they have presented themselves in public over the years, the "funny" moments usually tend to be unintentional, or ironic. Brian's "I don't know, send me her picture" thing from Facebook or Twitter last year was perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever seen Brian write or say, and that's the closest I can think to Brian seeming to actually be funny and not making a random comment that is construed as a joke.

But most of the funny moments are things like Brian's "Night Time" performance from Dick Clark's show, or Mike Love blurting out "Don Ho, what are YOU doing here?" during their 25th show, or Al being attacked by a goat on the NBC special. The million stories about Brian doing things like asking Bono to get him a Coke, or saying "Hi Queen!", or scratching out "Great" and writing "Good" for an autograph for Don Henley. Things that happen *to* them, or times when they say or do stuff that sounds funny, but where they weren't necessarily *trying* to be funny.

I've always found Brian's "humor" hang-up from the "Smile" era to be fascinating, because I've never heard anything from that time period that's actually funny. It's almost like a sci-fi character trying to grasp what "human humor" is or something. He was trying to tackle the concept more from a clinical academic point of view than actual do something that is funny.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »

I've rarely thought of the Beach Boys as "funny" in the relatively "traditional" sense, like having a friend who you think has a really good sense of humor. I would imagine at least some of the BBs *were/are* like that in their actual private lives, but we haven't much had the chance to see that. I'm sure Dennis could truly be hilarious, and I've heard Carl could be really funny. But for better or worse, Carl always came across as polite and quiet. Maybe you'd get a smile and head tilt, and that was about the most insight you'd get.

But as far as how they have presented themselves in public over the years, the "funny" moments usually tend to be unintentional, or ironic. Brian's "I don't know, send me her picture" thing from Facebook or Twitter last year was perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever seen Brian write or say, and that's the closest I can think to Brian seeming to actually be funny and not making a random comment that is construed as a joke.

But most of the funny moments are things like Brian's "Night Time" performance from Dick Clark's show, or Mike Love blurting out "Don Ho, what are YOU doing here?" during their 25th show, or Al being attacked by a goat on the NBC special. The million stories about Brian doing things like asking Bono to get him a Coke, or saying "Hi Queen!", or scratching out "Great" and writing "Good" for an autograph for Don Henley. Things that happen *to* them, or times when they say or do stuff that sounds funny, but where they weren't necessarily *trying* to be funny.

I've always found Brian's "humor" hang-up from the "Smile" era to be fascinating, because I've never heard anything from that time period that's actually funny. It's almost like a sci-fi character trying to grasp what "human humor" is or something. He was trying to tackle the concept more from a clinical academic point of view than actual do something that is funny.

I agree. The benchmark was really The Beatles who were all naturally funny and quick-witted and did not mind showcasing that part of their personalities when they spoke in public. I never thought of The Beach Boys as being particularly funny (as you say, intentionally), at least not when they were in public.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »

I agree Chocoloco Man about the Beatles, they had great public personas  and  the BB's didn't. I did think Brian's "loving food, creative food " comment and Carl's reaction to it on the 1980 "Going Platinum" special was funny.
KDS
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »

What about the legendary appearance on Full House?

My sides still hurt.

"What's wrong, Bon Jovi in town?"

"Big Boys"
"Cute kid"

"Beach Boy huddle.  Na na na na na"

"Ko Ko Mo"
"A REQUEST"

Comedy gold. 
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »

What about the legendary appearance on Full House?

My sides still hurt.

"What's wrong, Bon Jovi in town?"

"Big Boys"
"Cute kid"

"Beach Boy huddle.  Na na na na na"

"Ko Ko Mo"
"A REQUEST"

Comedy gold. 

I can't seem to find it on Youtube anymore but the clip when they did a promo for an upcoming episode they were to be on for Full House, and a director off camera  says to the little Olsen girl, "say hi Beach Boys", and Brian blurts it out. Pretty funny stuff.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 09:04:11 AM »

I was watching and listening to "The Lost Concert", and during "Long Tall Texan" Brian keeps turning to Carl and Al every time Mike says the titular lyric and appears to make fun of him (or the Long Tall Texan character). You can't really make out what he's saying, except at 4:30 I think he says "He likes his job", which I think is a very funny line compared to the punny humor they usually showcase.

Anyway, this got me thinking about the possibility of other genuinely funny jokes the boys have made. If you know any, please share.
I hate to poop on your thread, but I think the 3:35-3:55 laughing is because Carl and Al had been distracted and Brian snipped at them for it and then Brian messed up the lyric - "He rides in Texas on a..." instead of "He rides in Texas with a..."
The 4:30 part I'm pretty sure Brian says that Mike is sharp.

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:49 AM »

I can't seem to find it on Youtube anymore but the clip when they did a promo for an upcoming episode they were to be on for Full House, and a director off camera  says to the little Olsen girl, "say hi Beach Boys", and Brian blurts it out. Pretty funny stuff.

Couldn't find the video yet, but here's Drew Carey recounting the moment.  He was at the Full House taping that day.

https://youtu.be/VJ333IGwm3U?t=1m34s
Bob K
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 07:35:25 AM »

I hate to poop on your thread, but I think the 3:35-3:55 laughing is because Carl and Al had been distracted and Brian snipped at them for it and then Brian messed up the lyric - "He rides in Texas on a..." instead of "He rides in Texas with a..."

Long time lurker stepping out of the shadows for sec...  Cool
I think when Mike sings "to enforce the law", Brian says "Mike's a cop".
Ok, back into darkness I go...
Bob
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »

Long time lurker stepping out of the shadows for sec...  Cool
I think when Mike sings "to enforce the law", Brian says "Mike's a cop".
Ok, back into darkness I go...
Bob
Hi Bob! You know, now that you've said that, it seems like it to me too. Though assuming that Carl and Brian have heard the song before (uh..) it seems like an odd interjection. No one ever said BW's not odd I guess.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »

surfin!! I don't wanna go surfin'!! look you guys, I'm not gonna get your hair wet, get sand in your shoes,
ok I'm not goin.
c'mon Brian, let's go surfin' now, everybody's learnin how, c'mon on safari with us. let's go.
alright ok, let's go, let's go surfin.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »

Love and Mercy (the movie) had quite a few funny bits.

"Uncle Murry's here - quick, hide the pot!"  (sudden frenetic activity ensues)

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »

I don't know if it's that or whether he and the people he was hanging out with were so stoned that everything struck them funny. Things like "Brian falls into a microphone" are completely lame. I think you'd HAVE to be stoned to laugh.

One thing that was actually funny was the clip with Brian at the piano with Carl and Al, where he asks Al to hold his nose so he can imitate Mike's nasal singing on "California Girls." It was great to see Brian and Carl laughing together.

Also, I never heard this, but I seem to remember reading about a radio interview from the '70s where the host asked all the guy to introduce themselves. When it came to Dennis, he said, "Hi, I'm Carl, and I love p*ssy."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »

"plenty of highs to start with, and then we wanna just WACK OFF MAN!"
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »

https://youtu.be/gz6gK3q_mh0?t65s

Classic
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:26:43 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »

I think I say it for all of us, wouldn't we love to see the complete clip of those 3 hangin' out
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »

Thanks for posting. For some reason I couldn't find it.

I think we should Al's ponytail in that clip to the comedy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx