gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:08:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if The Beach Boys Love You was scrapped?  (Read 17950 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »

If The Beach Boys Love You was scrapped or rejected, I think Brian would've moved seamlessly into the Adult/Child project, which is almost like More 15 Big Ones anyway, so it wouldn't have been a drastic follow-up album.

Brian recorded some decent NEW songs for Adult/Child, but one or two leftovers from the Love You sessions probably would've made its way onto the new project, maybe "Roller Skating Child", "Honkin' Down The Highway", or "Airplane". There were more oldies raring to go including "Deep Purple", "On Broadway", "Shortenin' Bread", and possibly "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'". And, of course, you had your vintage 1969-70 era tracks a la "Susie Cincinnati" and "Good Time" with "Games Two Can Play" and "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way".

So what you basically have is 15 Big Ones - Volume 2  Shocked
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »

I can't help but observe that anytime someone praises Love You, it's mostly because the albums before and after are so lousy.  I can even see that, reading this thread. 

What if Love You came out right after, say, Sunflower?  Would it still be the cat's whiskers?

In my case, I praise Love You because it's better than any other Beach Boys album except Smiley Smile. More inventive, more interesting, more honest, more *strange*. It's worth a thousand Sunflowers (an album I think is as overrated as Love You is underrated)
Smiley Emily likes this post.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »

I can't help but observe that anytime someone praises Love You, it's mostly because the albums before and after are so lousy.  I can even see that, reading this thread. 

What if Love You came out right after, say, Sunflower?  Would it still be the cat's whiskers?

In my case, I praise Love You because it's better than any other Beach Boys album except Smiley Smile. More inventive, more interesting, more honest, more *strange*. It's worth a thousand Sunflowers (an album I think is as overrated as Love You is underrated)

Well, I have a different opinion *again*... I love 'em both. Very different animals, but both great. I agree that Sunflower is often praised a little *too* much for my liking, but I do think it's very good. And although Love You is indeed wonky and strange, I think it's very good too — in a totally different way.

Surf's Up is the album that just... doesn't work for me at all (some great tracks... but they thought THAT was a coherent album??). I prefer Carl and the Passions to that. No, really!

No accounting for taste... there are a lot of people here who will never be reconciled to Smiley Smile or Love You, but I'll take 'em over the 'Yacht Rock' of LA and MIU any day.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »

Seems that most of the posts are going into personal opinions on the relative merits of Love You, as opposed to the question of whether and how history might have changed had it never been released.

Seriously, does anyone think things would have been dramatically different than they were in the case of such a non-event?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »

Seems that most of the posts are going into personal opinions on the relative merits of Love You, as opposed to the question of whether and how history might have changed had it never been released.

Seriously, does anyone think things would have been dramatically different than they were in the case of such a non-event?
No. But I think if it were still unreleased in 2016, there'd be some clamor.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »

Well, I have a different opinion *again*... I love 'em both. Very different animals, but both great. I agree that Sunflower is often praised a little *too* much for my liking, but I do think it's very good. And although Love You is indeed wonky and strange, I think it's very good too — in a totally different way.

Surf's Up is the album that just... doesn't work for me at all (some great tracks... but they thought THAT was a coherent album??). I prefer Carl and the Passions to that. No, really!

No accounting for taste... there are a lot of people here who will never be reconciled to Smiley Smile or Love You, but I'll take 'em over the 'Yacht Rock' of LA and MIU any day.

I think Sunflower's a coherent-sounding record with about half a good album on it. I think Surf's Up is an incoherent-sounding record with about half a good album on it -- its highs are higher than anything on Sunflower, but it manages to have all the negative aspects of eclecticism without the positive aspects. I think Carl & The Passions is a genuinely good album which would be in my top five Beach Boys albums.
LA I think is actually about the same level as Sunflower, somewhere in the middle of the pack. Neither are albums I play very often, but both when I do play them have a few songs where I think "I'd forgotten how good this is" and a few where I think "I'd forgotten how bad this is", and both have a very coherent sound. They're both very Bruce-sounding albums, to me.
MIU has basically nothing to recommend it as far as I'm concerned. The backing is competent without being interesting, the vocals are often incompetent without having character.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »

Let's see, Surf's Up has:

Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
DITLOAT
'Til I Die
Surf's Up

There's five good reasons (on one album) for it to be considered "Gold Standard" fare. The only other one that would qualify after Pet Sounds, would be Holland with:

Sail On Sailor
Funky Pretty
California
Steamboat
The Trader

Can you imagine an album with these 10 songs?  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 11:34:54 AM »

here's what would have happened if it was scrapped.I know because I went into an alternate reality and saw what would have happened.. Brian would have said "Screw it I'm finishing Smile!" he would have released it and it would have been the biggest selling album of all times going number 1 in the charts for 3 years, he would have became so happy to go off of the drugs, lost alot of weight and would have dumped Landy, then he would take complete control of the Beach Boys going back to the original wall of sound and telling the other member "This is how it's going to be,if you don't like it you can leave!" Carl and Dennis would give each other a high five in excitement and being influenced by Brian both Carl and Dennis would have gotten them selves clean never to drink, smoke or do drug EVER again, Dennis would have lived and Carl would have at least lived longer if not still be alive following Brian's Health Symposium called "HELP is on it's way" Mike and Al would have just quietly and humbly went along with him, Then he would do  an album that would have surpassed "Smile" as the next album, winning Grammy after Grammy, 10 to be exact, for his next 10 albums that would have gotten better and better with each one! He would have started the "Brian Wilson symphony Orchestra" and have his own wing at Harvard and would have ran for president of the united states in 2000 and would have won bringing world peace to the whole world!! DARN THAT "LOVE YOU" ALBUM!!!!  LOL
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »

Let's see, Surf's Up has:

Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
DITLOAT
'Til I Die
Surf's Up

There's five good reasons (on one album) for it to be considered "Gold Standard" fare. The only other one that would qualify after Pet Sounds, would be Holland with:

Sail On Sailor
Funky Pretty
California
Steamboat
The Trader

Can you imagine an album with these 10 songs?  Huh

That might be my favorite BB album right there.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »

Holland is a brilliant album the way it is. I agree that Sunflower is a very "Bruce-sounding" album but there's certainly enough Brian on it for me to count it among my faves. Desper's sound work on that record is absolutely incredible too.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »

If they had come out with LA (Light Album) in the wake of Endless Summer and Spirit of America, I believe it would have done much better than it did. It had the kind of polish to it necessary to get on mainstream radio, and at least a couple songs that could have been major hits - Good Timin' and Lady Lynda. Both tracks were recognizably Beach Boys without being too retroish.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.

Yes, Yes and thrice Yes.

Firstly, excellent thread. I could bang on and on about the album itself, my love for it knows no bounds. However, as The Captain pointed out, the question asked is what should be answered, but I fear it's an anti-climactic answer;

Nothing, diddly squat, zip, nada would have changed if this album hadn't been released. It seems clear that Brian was given free reign with the album (hence why its wonderful IMHO) and it flopped so he wasn't trusted again. If this and then A/C had been rejected outright then he just wouldn't have been trusted to get an album of his own original material to release. I think the order and content of albums would have carried on exactly as it had. Brian would've been deflated (as he was) and order would've been resumed.

The only difference I can think of is from the fans. If many of us had heard the demos and never had it released then many of us would be bemoaning how the record company just didn't 'get' Brian and how it should've been given a chance and it could've been a new Pet Sounds (it would be nice to think that rather than the reality that many people just plain didn't like it)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:52:05 PM by Rentatris » Logged

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.

Webster's Dictionary has that exact same definition for  the word turd....a masterpiece...etc...open hearted...etc...schizoaffective...etc...piece of crap...I think is how it really ends.

Ever wonder why the Beach Boys...and when I say the Beach Boys I mean...Brian Wilson...Mike and Bruce as currently licensed...and the group way back in the day...so seldom performed any of Love You live...in concert?

'Cause it just plain sucked and nobody wanted to hear it.

So to retroactively come at it from a different time and place and then subsequently try to elevate Love You above the afore mentioned turd is a re-write of reality.  You like it?  Groovy.  Use it to help your garden grow this spring. Wink

Sounds to me like you're an MIU, LA Light, and KTSA fan.

No...I'm not.  There are 1 or 2 kind of OK songs on those LPs.  But really?  Not enough to justify their being released.  After Holland...it wasn't 'til TWGMTR that we got a handful of decent tunes all on one studio release.  I get that there are those who like/love Smiley Smile and Love You.  It is not for me to even begin to change your mind.  Why should I?  How could I?  If you 'hear' it...then good for you.  It makes you unique.  The rest of the world missed it.  [Fools that we are. LOL]

As I said...the Beach Biys did NOT make another great record after Holland...except for the double LIVE album...as far as I'm concerned 'til 2012.  They recorded some good individual songs but 45s are but 7 inches...not 12...and all of that happened in a 12 inch/FM not AM radio era.

Love You...which I maintain Brian recorded, at the very least, with tongue in cheek and also somewhat under protest ... was primarily done just to get the rest of the guys off his ass. [Brian's back indeed!!!]  There was a bubble of a buzz which accompanied 15 insignificant ones.  Attendance at concerts was good and performances were to be recommended.  After Love You?

"T I M B E R !!!!"  It all came tumblimg down.

So go ahead and love Love You.  I don't.  And if and when your copy wears out...because I didn't go and buy it again... [and yes I do have it both on vinyl from the get-go and on the 2-fer cd with 15 whatever those ones were] ...there'll still be a copy left in the discount bin for you.

Wanna bet Brian tours it in 2020-2027?  One of the reasons why it's all over the freaking place and why I suggest that Brian did it under protest...It took them 7 years to record it all.  7 years...and THAT'S all they could come up with?  Kind of like a "do we have to?" weekend hobby as opposed to it being a real Beach Boys album.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »

for me "Love You" is like Bach's Organ Works,,very complex but at the same time they are JUST organ and the string and wind instruments are missing so people may not like it as much as his other works..I Love "Love You" but also I heard bach's organ work and I can hear he similarities....I suggest picking up some of Bach's organ works and then relisten to "Love You" and you may get a new appreciation for it,,,
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 02:00:08 PM »

If Love You were scrapped, Warners may well have said,"It's over" and sued the sh*t out of the band for non-delivery.

This may have allowed early exit to CBS and would have thankfully prevented the existence of M.I.U.

The financial hit would have driven the band into full nostalgia set list gigs in Las Vegas & international stadium spectaculars featuring the Harlem Globe Trotters & Evil Kenivel.

A sole & final CBS album would have been named after it's one original song "Goin' South",
the rest of the tracks reworkings of past hits, including Surfin', Hawaii & Kiss Me Baby.

Brian would not have recovered from the blow and remained in his child/man state.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »

If Love You were scrapped, Warners may well have said,"It's over" and sued the sh*t out of the band for non-delivery.

This may have allowed early exit to CBS and would have thankfully prevented the existence of M.I.U.

The financial hit would have driven the band into full nostalgia set list gigs in Las Vegas & international stadium spectaculars featuring the Harlem Globe Trotters & Evil Kenivel.

A sole & final CBS album would have been named after it's one original song "Goin' South",
the rest of the tracks reworkings of past hits, including Surfin', Hawaii & Kiss Me Baby.

Brian would not have recovered from the blow and remained in his child/man state.

Love it!

My take on the Sunflower vs Love You thang:

Sunflower = fine songs beautifully recorded (+ Dreary and Tears in the Mourning)
Love You = quirky enjoyable tunes, with some humorous lyrics, instinctively recorded with a generous dash of genius (+ Love Is a Woman).

I generalise, of course…

“We live in divisive times.”
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »

Love You = quirky enjoyable tunes, with some humorous lyrics, instinctively recorded with a generous dash of genius (+ Love Is a Woman).

LOL

KDS
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 06:30:44 AM »

I agree with the thought that a non release of Love You wouldn't have altered much. 

While loved by many Brian fans, the album is pretty much ignored by both Brian and his band and the touring Beach Boys. 

Had the album not been released, it would probably be held in high regard, achieving a mythical status with some of Brian's fans. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »

So much animosity. I love Love You.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 07:59:45 AM »

I truly can't understand the mindset of how joyless one would have to be to not love the beauty and wonder of Love You. Ok sure it gets a little creepy here and there.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 08:28:50 AM »

I truly can't understand the mindset of how joyless one would have to be to not love the beauty and wonder of Love You. Ok sure it gets a little creepy here and there.

I know it's a comparison that's been made before but I think that those who don't like Love You probably don't think that Daniel Johnston writes good songs. The two are very comparible in my eyes. By the glossy standards of the Top 40 or Billboard it can been seen as trash. By the standards of what, in my eyes, music should be about there is nothing better.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:14:12 AM by Rentatris » Logged

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.

Webster's Dictionary has that exact same definition for  the word turd....a masterpiece...etc...open hearted...etc...schizoaffective...etc...piece of crap...I think is how it really ends.

Ever wonder why the Beach Boys...and when I say the Beach Boys I mean...Brian Wilson...Mike and Bruce as currently licensed...and the group way back in the day...so seldom performed any of Love You live...in concert?

'Cause it just plain sucked and nobody wanted to hear it.

So to retroactively come at it from a different time and place and then subsequently try to elevate Love You above the afore mentioned turd is a re-write of reality.  You like it?  Groovy.  Use it to help your garden grow this spring. Wink

Sounds to me like you're an MIU, LA Light, and KTSA fan.

Well,yes, I am, all three. Love You is well down the list, not as far as So Tough, and Smiley Smile resides at the bottom as an album. Love You isn't a bad album for what it is, but it's a bit too quirky for my overall tastes, so doesn't get a lot of play when I'm thinking "hmmm, wonder which Beach Boys album to listen to today?". It's got to be the right mood. Every now and again . . . . . .
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »

I agree with the thought that a non release of Love You wouldn't have altered much. 

While loved by many Brian fans, the album is pretty much ignored by both Brian and his band and the touring Beach Boys. 

Had the album not been released, it would probably be held in high regard, achieving a mythical status with some of Brian's fans. 

As far as I know, the only Love You tunes to be played by Brian / Brian's Band is Ding Dang on a QVC appearance, and The Night Was So Young.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »

When I said I love Love You, it needs to be put in context. I don't love it as much as Today or anything from (and including) Pet Sounds to Holland.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »

Don't beat yourself up over it.  Some people like it, some don't.  I don't see anyone who doesn't care for it saying things like, "I don't get how anyone can stand that...."  Oops, I'm doing it now!  Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx