gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:42:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where would The Beach Boys be if they never became The Beach Boys?  (Read 4307 times)
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »

I think considering how much Murry and Audree surrounded their children with music, I can believe Brian and Carl heading towards a career in this field.
I can imagine Brian taking the music teacher route whilst Carl hooks up with David and forms a short-lived surf band. Dennis fleets between jobs, girlfriends and the beach whilst Mike becomes a salesman of some kind.

This carries on until February 16th 1964-The Beatles on Ed Sullivan

Is this the jolt to start a band? Brian maybe wants a change of career, Carl and David have had a couple of local singles out and have a contact to record a demo. The surf craze has been and gone so what do they write about? Would Mike join them considering, and this wouldn't surprise me, that he is now fairly successful and wouldn't want to give up the income, especially with a wife and child(ren)? Dennis wants an escape from low paid jobs so joins in an instant.

Worth considering:

I've always had the feeling Murry would have pushed Brian into music, whether it was writing for others or shipping his demos to labels. Maybe Murry would have wanted Brian to succeed where he had failed

Without those informative early years learning from Jan Berry and Phil Spector, how would Brian have managed in the studio? Without the hits to give him confidence, how would he have acted around The Wrecking Crew and vice versa?

I can see Carl becoming a session musician turned star in his own right a la Glen Campbell. It's not often you get those guitar skills and that voice coming from the same person

It's an interesting question but after typing this out, I'm just very grateful how things turned out and what we have. Imagine never seeing Dennis pounding the drums and shaking his hair or never seeing Carl Wilson sing? And who knows, Mike could be a property tycoon running for president and Al.....well, Al could have become the West Coast Dylan with a cult following who asks his old football mate Brian if he wants to play piano on some demos!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx