gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:17:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where would The Beach Boys be if they never became The Beach Boys?  (Read 4304 times)
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »

I've been wondering this the past couple days, where would have become of each member if the Beach Boys never happened?  Al obviously would have ended up being dentist.  Maybe Brian would have finished his degree in psychology and become a therapist?  The real mystery is would have become of Mike, Dennis, and Carl? 

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »

Mike had great career potential in the gasoline industry.....pumping it. He also was a sheet metal worker at the family business I believe. He did rather well for himself. More power to him, he has lived more than the American Dream.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »

Brian would have become a behind-the-scenes writer/ arranger /producer. Carl and David would have formed a surf instrumental band. Mike become a small business owner, Dennis a bartender.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »

Mike had great career potential in the gasoline industry.....pumping it. He also was a sheet metal worker at the family business I believe. He did rather well for himself. More power to him, he has lived more than the American Dream.

If I recall correctly Mike was fired from his fathers sheet metal business after the whole fiasco with him knocking up his girlfriend. 

I've been listening to the Smile Sessions and when I hear Brian directing the musicians it reminds me a lot of my high school band teacher.  Brian probably could have made a great music teacher.

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »

When I think about Dennis never being a Beach Boy, the words "reform school" somehow spring to mind...  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »

When I think about Dennis never being a Beach Boy, the words "reform school" somehow spring to mind...  Smiley
lol, me thinks you are correct with that assessment.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »

myKe luHv's future would have been mostly behind a broom or quite possibly a grease monkey for a quick lube joint. I can also see him doing jail time for beating women now and then or not making child support payments or both. Perhaps a future with Barnum and Bailey would have been a natural career path.  Evil
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:41:21 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »

I could envision Brian running his own deli.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »

I forget the source (the Tom Snyder interview maybe), but Carl once said he might have become an architect, when asked that question.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »

I think Clack is on the money.
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 10:32:17 PM »

Given Mike's work ethic he would likely have been very successful in any number of endeavours. Perhaps real estate/property.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 10:52:23 PM »

Mike - R&B promoter, later a movie producer
Brian - (as per Uncle Jesse) music teacher, later a Professor in Music at UOC
Carl - session muso
Dennis - AGD called it with reform school student, but in later years a born again youth minister
Al - Horse breeder
Dave - Mechanic
Bruce - Vice President of the USA

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 06:57:15 AM »

In imagining what might have been, I'm leaving professional music out of the discussion, since the band was the only reason the boys were involved in the music industry. Prior to that, none of them were really going in that direction, individually. So, I doubt, without The Beach Boys, any of them would have gone on to be big players in  popular music.

So, no Beach Boys to shape their direction and finances…

Al was going to college. He probably would have finished that and settled into an upper middle class life as a local dentist.

Dennis probably would have worked a series of jobs that he got fired from, and eventually wound up in jail.

Mike does have business drive. Given the right opportunity, he could have made a successful small businessman.

Carl is hardest to predict because he was young when the band formed, and probably hadn't given his future much thought. I don't think he would have been a professional musician, because it was the band that propelled him in that direction. He probably would  have gone on to college and gotten a degree in some area of interest. If he said architect,  let's suppose that.

Brian was in college, and seemed interested in both music and psychology studies. I think he would have wound up teaching music somewhere, maybe at the college level.  But without the band and the push from them and Murry, I doubt he would have followed up on getting his own music out there. One has to wonder, though… without the band, the pressures of the business and the pull of the drug scene, would he have stayed relatively healthy?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:01:40 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »

Mike had great career potential in the gasoline industry.....pumping it.

I recently read Mike gave up gas pumpimg after being held up at gunpoint. If that's true, we can safely rule gas pumping out.

Brian would have become a psychologist and treated Landy for his delusions of grandeur. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »

I've been wondering this the past couple days, where would have become of each member if the Beach Boys never happened?  Al obviously would have ended up being dentist.  Maybe Brian would have finished his degree in psychology and become a therapist?  The real mystery is would have become of Mike, Dennis, and Carl? 

You have too much free time.  Go outside.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »

(quote from Cyncie!)
Brian was in college, and seemed interested in both music and psychology studies. I think he would have wound up teaching music somewhere, maybe at the college level.  But without the band and the push from them and Murry, I doubt he would have followed up on getting his own music out there. One has to wonder, though… without the band, the pressures of the business and the pull of the drug scene, would he have stayed relatively healthy?
[/quote]
Interesting...Brian - Music + Psychology = Prefiguration of a field now known as "Music Therapy"...I guess that is what the BB music/musicians all ended up/doing!  LOL

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:32:59 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »

I think a healthy Brian would have wound up scoring movies.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

I think a healthy Brian would have wound up scoring movies.
Andrew - how many movies already have BB music as part of the score?  A great unintended consequence...

Last night I caught some old retro stuff on Netflix...Troop Beverly Hills! Make it Big with Carl so prominent in the vocals!  Remember seeing it with my kids when they were little.

Just a little reminder of how much BB music became integrated into all levels of the music industry... Brian, Dennis, & Carl
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »

Sad to say but I'm not sure Brian or Dennis would have been very healthy in this parallel universe.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »

Andrew - how many movies already have BB music as part of the score? 

There are many Beach Boys songs on movie soundtracks but movie scores are something different.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »

Andrew - how many movies already have BB music as part of the score? 

There are many Beach Boys songs on movie soundtracks but movie scores are something different.
CSM - you can argue that.  The theme of this PG movie is girls "making it big" and being ambitious coming out of their too comfortable Bev. Hills mode.  I'm not sure I see Brian as a Henry Mancini or John Williams...and the impact is more wide-sweeping the way it worked out as filtration of BB culture into virtually every generation.   Wink
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »

I'm not sure I see Brian as a Henry Mancini or John Williams

I'm not sure I see it either, though perhaps something along the lines of Randy Newman's film score work may have been a possibility...

However, I think a more likely scenario may have been for Brian to make a few local minor hit songs, maybe one of which would have appeared on the Where The Action Is box set (though it's hard to imagine that box set existing without The Beach Boys happening) then maybe he would have been employed by a record company or a radio station or something. But unfortunately I see his mental illness wreaking havoc one way or another eventually.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »

I'm not sure I see Brian as a Henry Mancini or John Williams

I'm not sure I see it either, though perhaps something along the lines of Randy Newman's film score work may have been a possibility...

However, I think a more likely scenario may have been for Brian to make a few local minor hit songs, maybe one of which would have appeared on the Where The Action Is box set (though it's hard to imagine that box set existing without The Beach Boys happening) then maybe he would have been employed by a record company or a radio station or something. But unfortunately I see his mental illness wreaking havoc one way or another eventually.

Maybe in that context...but given the challenges, and the reported "windows" of creativity, Brian seemed to work very well in "themes" that I would distinguish as "operettas" instead of "operas" - or a short story writer rather than a novel.  But, rather than writing specifically commercially, I suppose I could see him writing in ways that would confer benefits on others, more for social good than in a completely commercial context and would use Pet Sounds as an example, sharing his analysis of life.       Wink
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:53:10 AM by filledeplage » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »

I think the real question with Brian is to what extent his mental illness would have manifested apart from the pressures of the band.  That would have a big bearing on his success or failure in another endeavor.  But it's hard to see him not getting into music somehow.  But he could have made an awesome psychologist, really.  I can totally see that.

The thing about the other guys going into music - none of them were that "hooked in" to the music industry or to the entertainment world (except Bruce, whose career probably would have gone about the same as it did during the time he wasn't with the band) - and without that a career as more than a hobbyist isn't going to happen.  So I doubt Carl would have been a session guy unless he had made some connections outside the family, and that depends a lot on his own drive and desire to do it.

Interesting question.  I guess there's so many random crossroads forming our lives, it's impossible to say just what would have happened.  I think reform school for Dennis is a pretty solid guess, though.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »

Mike was pumping gas but I think he would have made an excellent traveling salesman. Kinda like what he does now but without the Hawaiian shirts.
Bruce without music would have been a successful florist, owning a chain of flower shops.
Carl, a high school history teacher.
Dennis would work in the tool business.
Of course Al would be a dentist.
David an addiction counselor.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:47:47 PM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx