gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:39:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations Success and Smile's Demise  (Read 69261 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2016, 11:53:34 AM »

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits,

That was not a music video.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »

They also featured Smile as one of the upcoming albums of note when they made a record to be sent to their salesmen and various rack-jobbers featuring Good Vibrations and with a narration saying, famously, "sure to sell a million copies...in January!"

I'm pretty sure the "million copies" referred to all the albums mentioned on the promo, not specifically Smile. My reasoning is that the instore stand up piece mentioned was for several albums, not just Smile.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits,

It was from a variety show.  Maybe Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »

Ed Sullivan. It wasn't a video, though.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »

There was both official PR from Capitol and non-official buzz surrounding this upcoming album "with the Good Vibrations sound" while Good Vibrations was going to #1 on the singles charts.

I don't recall reading that anywhere but if it's true it certainly adds weight to the premise of this thread.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 15, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »

Ed Sullivan. It wasn't a video, though.

My bad.  I Can Hear Music '69 was on Mike Douglas.  He liked them.

No the video is clipped from the performance. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:08:13 PM by filledeplage » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: January 15, 2016, 12:10:42 PM »

There was both official PR from Capitol and non-official buzz surrounding this upcoming album "with the Good Vibrations sound" while Good Vibrations was going to #1 on the singles charts.

I don't recall reading that anywhere but if it's true it certainly adds weight to the premise of this thread.

For those without LLVS, or The Billboard in question( is there anyone here like that?)
 It's on pages 16 & 17 of the Billboard and looks like this( perhaps a bit clearer than LLVS): 

I'm trading emails with Piers , in Canada, who swears his color Smile ad came from a January 1967 Billboard

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: January 15, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »

And CSM, I am still looking for all this promo heralding Smile.  Or even the promo on Pet Sounds.  Carl summed it up with what I quoted from Rusten/Stebbins, from 1970. Capitol didn't want them for their "creative group." The wanted hot rods and girls.

Domenic Priore along with a team of others filled their book "Look Listen Vibrate Smile" with pages full of promo and press heralding Smile. Ads were taken out in Billboard magazine advertising Smile featuring the Smile album cover. Capitol gave the Smile cover a full page, back cover ad promoting it's release in their Teen Set magazine which is where Priore got his book's title. Music press from the Disc & Music Echo to Song Hits to "Beat" to all the other teen music mags were featuring gossip and articles about the upcoming Smile album in Fall 1966 going into 1967.

Capitol had sales displays made up and sent to record shops for them to display, cardboard displays and posters too. They also featured Smile as one of the upcoming albums of note when they made a record to be sent to their salesmen and various rack-jobbers featuring Good Vibrations and with a narration saying, famously, "sure to sell a million copies...in January!"

The promo was there in 1966 going into 1967, the best source is Priore's LLVS which collects these examples. And some exist that didn't even make LLVS's pages.

Yes, while that stuff was produced, many new bands were were over-taking the US by storm, marginalizing the BB's, and even if they sent out those cardboard displays, it was not a guarantee that they would be put up as displays in the record stores and just put the LP's out for sale.  It seemed to be up to the record store department manager and their music tastes.  (I'd love one as a souvenir - maybe I will find one on eBay?) 

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits, that is still on Youtube about 18 months after it was a hit.  It seemed a "pile on"of not much media promo after Pet Sounds.   Wink

How does a book of close to 300 pages, roughly 3/4 of those pages filled with various media promo for and surrounding Smile from 1966 going into 1967, translate into "not much media promo"?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »

Also - There were promo videos for GV that were shot in 1966, some of which were used on various UK and European shows like Beat Club (aired in Germany December 1966) and Ready Steady Go (aired in the UK, November 1966). Several variations of videos apparently existed, some using footage shot by Peter Whitehead who filmed the band's UK tour in fall '66, and others were possibly done using different edits or sequences.

And there was an official promo filmed by Brian in 1966 at the LA fire station (now the LAFD Fire Museum) with Caleb Deschanel behind the camera. Apparently that one was paid for by Capitol, according to some reports.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: January 15, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »

They also featured Smile as one of the upcoming albums of note when they made a record to be sent to their salesmen and various rack-jobbers featuring Good Vibrations and with a narration saying, famously, "sure to sell a million copies...in January!"

I'm pretty sure the "million copies" referred to all the albums mentioned on the promo, not specifically Smile. My reasoning is that the instore stand up piece mentioned was for several albums, not just Smile.

That's why I worded it exactly as I did. "as one of the upcoming albums of note"

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 15, 2016, 12:25:06 PM »

And CSM, I am still looking for all this promo heralding Smile.  Or even the promo on Pet Sounds.  Carl summed it up with what I quoted from Rusten/Stebbins, from 1970. Capitol didn't want them for their "creative group." The wanted hot rods and girls.
Domenic Priore along with a team of others filled their book "Look Listen Vibrate Smile" with pages full of promo and press heralding Smile. Ads were taken out in Billboard magazine advertising Smile featuring the Smile album cover. Capitol gave the Smile cover a full page, back cover ad promoting it's release in their Teen Set magazine which is where Priore got his book's title. Music press from the Disc & Music Echo to Song Hits to "Beat" to all the other teen music mags were featuring gossip and articles about the upcoming Smile album in Fall 1966 going into 1967.

Capitol had sales displays made up and sent to record shops for them to display, cardboard displays and posters too. They also featured Smile as one of the upcoming albums of note when they made a record to be sent to their salesmen and various rack-jobbers featuring Good Vibrations and with a narration saying, famously, "sure to sell a million copies...in January!"

The promo was there in 1966 going into 1967, the best source is Priore's LLVS which collects these examples. And some exist that didn't even make LLVS's pages.

Yes, while that stuff was produced, many new bands were were over-taking the US by storm, marginalizing the BB's, and even if they sent out those cardboard displays, it was not a guarantee that they would be put up as displays in the record stores and just put the LP's out for sale.  It seemed to be up to the record store department manager and their music tastes.  (I'd love one as a souvenir - maybe I will find one on eBay?)  

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits, that is still on Youtube about 18 months after it was a hit.  It seemed a "pile on"of not much media promo after Pet Sounds.   Wink

How does a book of close to 300 pages, roughly 3/4 of those pages filled with various media promo for and surrounding Smile from 1966 going into 1967, translate into "not much media promo"?
So glad you asked.  It was never put out in any record stores that I went to, that had both book and record departments.   And, often, you would need to ask where a new LP was.  The prime spaces would have them in two places;  in the regular cases with the Beach Boys dividers, and separately in racks near the cash register, on prominent display.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:27:04 PM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 15, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »

For those without LLVS, or The Billboard in question( is there anyone here like that?)
 It's on pages 16 & 17 of the Billboard and looks like this( perhaps a bit clearer than LLVS): 

I'm trading emails with Piers , in Canada, who swears his color Smile ad came from a January 1967 Billboard
GF - I would surely have been arrested for stealing that.  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: January 15, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits, that is still on Youtube...

You're entirely wrong about this, for there was a specific video shot for "GV", which the BBC used on Top Of The Pops in late 1966. Ask anyone whose known me long enough and they'll tell you that long before the footage in question was rediscovered, I was telling fellow fans about seeing a film that included Brian sliding UP a fire pole, and the band chasing a fire engine down the street. At first it was assumed this was a promo for the Fire Music, until it emerged that it was shot roughly a month before that session.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 15, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits, that is still on Youtube...

You're entirely wrong about this, for there was a specific video shot for "GV", which the BBC used on Top Of The Pops in late 1966. Ask anyone whose known me long enough and they'll tell you that long before the footage in question was rediscovered, I was telling fellow fans about seeing a film that included Brian sliding UP a fire pole, and the band chasing a fire engine down the street. At first it was assumed this was a promo for the Fire Music, until it emerged that it was shot roughly a month before that session.
Andrew - was it released for use in the US? TV in the States was whatever you got over-the-air.

Music videos as such did not seem to be a thing until VH1 and MTV became entertainment business models, subsequent was Youtube and other video internet channels.   

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: January 15, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »

That is the firehouse promo film directed by Brian, filmed by Caleb Deschanel, and apparently paid for by Capitol.

I may have misspoke - Some say the Peter Whitehead GV promo was also aired on Top Of The Pops, and others aren't sure if they recall seeing similar footage aired on Ready Steady Go in Fall 1966.

But this is the Peter Whitehead video/film promo for Good Vibrations that DID air on Beat Club in December 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJlJsgNSNM

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 15, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »

That is the firehouse promo film directed by Brian, filmed by Caleb Deschanel, and apparently paid for by Capitol.

I may have misspoke - Some say the Peter Whitehead GV promo was also aired on Top Of The Pops, and others aren't sure if they recall seeing similar footage aired on Ready Steady Go in Fall 1966.

But this is the Peter Whitehead video/film promo for Good Vibrations that DID air on Beat Club in December 1966:

That was cool.  Can't say I ever saw that.  They looked so young.

But, that is GV worked into the footage.   Wink

Thank you GF!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 15, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »

New to me. Thanks GF2002!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 15, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »

Andrew - was it released for use in the US? TV in the States was whatever you got over-the-air.

Music videos as such did not seem to be a thing until VH1 and MTV became entertainment business models, subsequent was Youtube and other video internet channels.    

I don't know... but you stated that no such promo existed before 1968, and the fact is, it did. I saw it in late 1966 on British national TV when "GV" was being played.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:56:10 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: January 15, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »

And this is the "firehouse" promo for GV that Brian made with Caleb Deschanel in Fall 66, the one Andrew remembers watching on TV and which, if you read the YouTube comments posted to the video, another fan also remembers seeing when they were in the 3rd grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-YzG9NZrI0

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 15, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »

Great video of the BBs having fun! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: January 15, 2016, 01:01:13 PM »

Bringing it all together even more, who was one of the "stars" of that 1966 GV firehouse firehouse video, shown with and without a fire hat?

Jules Siegel!

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 15, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »

And this is the "firehouse" promo for GV that Brian made with Caleb Deschanel in Fall 66, the one Andrew remembers watching on TV and which, if you read the YouTube comments posted to the video, another fan also remembers seeing when they were in the 3rd grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-YzG9NZrI0
That one I've seen several times. But, since you brought it up, is anyone observant enough to tell me who is whom when they are chasing and jumping on the back of the truck and later when some are ahead of the truck?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 15, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »

Bringing it all together even more, who was one of the "stars" of that 1966 GV firehouse firehouse video, shown with and without a fire hat?

Jules Siegel!
Wait, I might jump on FilledePlage's team - is he the one who does the creepy walk?

He is! He is the creepy walker! I take it all back, FdP!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:05:43 PM by Emily » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »

I don't know... but you stated that no such promo existed before 1968, and the fact is, it did. I saw it in late 1966 on British national TV when "GV" was being played.
Andrew - did a promo on TV run in the States during that time, post Pet Sounds?

Maybe something was run in the UK...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 15, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »

Great stuff GF, Siegel was there for sure in the BW scene of 1966.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx