gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:57:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134336 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2016, 01:21:01 AM »

Same exact shtick as Baltimore...and Lancaster the past two years! LOL

Mike sticks with what works when it comes to his between-song patter. There are huge chunks where he hasn't varied even the timing in years or sometimes decades -- I can talk along with it just as easily as I can sing along with the songs.
In some ways it's a shame, because when he's had to vary it he can come across as a lot less slick -- for example on the 2008 UK tour, when they had a mini TM set in the middle, and he talked about how much those songs meant to him, it seemed for a few minutes like we weren't seeing an act, but the real Mike. But on the other hand, all the "now it's time to have an intermission... followed by a nap. That's what you get for coming to see a used rock group" kind of stuff always does go down well with audiences.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KDS
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2016, 05:22:56 AM »

I see the Cool Head, Warm Heart snuck into the setlist on March 6th. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »

yay......not.  angel
KDS
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:29 PM »

yay......not.  angel

I hear that. 

If Mike really wants to do a solo song, how about Daybreak Over the Ocean.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2016, 09:11:27 PM »

I've been to numerous M and B concert and I really enjoy them, but nothing stops the momentum dead more than that song or Pisces Brothers. Got both of them in 1 concert this summer....
KDS
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »

I've been to numerous M and B concert and I really enjoy them, but nothing stops the momentum dead more than that song or Pisces Brothers. Got both of them in 1 concert this summer....

Ugh, yeah Pisces Brothers.  If it weren't for Scott's guitar solo, that song would be completely worthless.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2016, 01:24:36 AM »

I actually like hearing Cool Head Warm Heart, but I do sense the audience getting restless when they play it. I am pretty neutral on Pisces Brothers, but I'm thinking that this shouldn't be a permanent staple. Audiences seem to appreciate it, but its appeal may wear thin if played year after yearwith the same video tribute.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »

Mike sticks with what works when it comes to his between-song patter. There are huge chunks where he hasn't varied even the timing in years or sometimes decades -- I can talk along with it just as easily as I can sing along with the songs.
In some ways it's a shame, because when he's had to vary it he can come across as a lot less slick -- for example on the 2008 UK tour, when they had a mini TM set in the middle, and he talked about how much those songs meant to him, it seemed for a few minutes like we weren't seeing an act, but the real Mike. But on the other hand, all the "now it's time to have an intermission... followed by a nap. That's what you get for coming to see a used rock group" kind of stuff always does go down well with audiences.

And always bear in mind that while we obsessive fans are word perfect on Mike's stage patter - and Brian's too, for that matter - it's new to Joe Q. Public.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »

And always bear in mind that while we obsessive fans are word perfect on Mike's stage patter - and Brian's too, for that matter - it's new to Joe Q. Public.

Quite. A lot of the complaints people have about Mike's show (though by no means all of them, of course) seem to boil down to "he's not doing this for me, why isn't he doing this for meeeee?"
Anyone on this board's idea of "the perfect Beach Boys show" would depart enormously from what 99.9% of the audience want -- the fact that so often both bands manage to get very close to pleasing both us *and* the people who just want to hear Barbara Ann and Surfin' USA is a minor miracle.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »

great post Andrew
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »

Mike and Bruce are coming to Cincinnati.  If anyone knows the presale code it would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
KDS
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2016, 06:23:20 AM »

It looks like Mike and Bruce are starting to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds.

Per setlist.fm from March 19th in Hong Kong:

Surfin'
Catch a Wave
Do It Again
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Kiss Me, Baby
Then He Kissed Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Cotton Fields
You Still Believe in Me
Here Today
Heroes and Villains
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
I Get Around
In My Room
((HK Philarmonic))
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
Disney Girls
The Warmth of the Sun
Caroline, No
God Only Knows
Pisces Brothers
Good Vibrations
Darlin'
Help Me, Rhonda
Do You Wanna Dance?
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Encore:
Kokomo
Fun, Fun, Fun

Six cuts from Pet Sounds as opposed to the usual three. 

Anyone know who is doing leads on You Still Believe in Me or Caroline No? 
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »

Propably Brian (if he's still touring with them, I mean the Eichenberger one). At least last year he was the one who sang You Still Believe In Me and it sounded fantastic.
KDS
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »

Propably Brian (if he's still touring with them, I mean the Eichenberger one). At least last year he was the one who sang You Still Believe In Me and it sounded fantastic.

Makes sense.  I was thinking Ike too. 

I also noticed that the Pet Sounds songs are split up.   Oddly YSBIM and Here Today are in the first set, which is usually reserved for the surf/car songs and the more upbeat pre-PS material. 

Maybe they didn't want too many ballads in the second half of the show. 

Interesting note, setlist.fm listed Caroline No as a cover of a Brian Wilson song (granted it was released as a BW single and features no other Beach Boys, but its still on the BB album). 
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »

Cool! When was the last time the Beach Boys played Caroline No?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »

It looks like Mike and Bruce are starting to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds.

Surfin'
Catch a Wave
Do It Again
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Kiss Me, Baby
Then He Kissed Me
Cotton Fields
You Still Believe in Me
Here Today
Heroes and Villains
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
I Get Around
In My Room
((HK Philarmonic))
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Disney Girls
The Warmth of the Sun
Caroline, No
God Only Knows
Pisces Brothers
Good Vibrations
Darlin'
Help Me, Rhonda
Do You Wanna Dance?
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Encore:
Kokomo
Fun, Fun, Fun

Good setlist!  They are playing in Japan tomorrow, and I was thinking about going, but had already bought tix for Brian/Al/Blondie, and the Mike/Bruce tix are really expensive. This makes me wish that I could afford both!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2016, 10:55:17 PM »

I'll be very curious to see how (or if) these additions stick around. I would be surprised to see them come out without a symphonic arrangement behind them...and looking at Mike and Bruce's standard summer lineup, I certainly wouldn't expect any of these in the summer months.
KDS
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2016, 05:17:33 AM »

I'll be very curious to see how (or if) these additions stick around. I would be surprised to see them come out without a symphonic arrangement behind them...and looking at Mike and Bruce's standard summer lineup, I certainly wouldn't expect any of these in the summer months.

Mike has hinted that they're going to be doing some Pet Sounds stuff.  I would guess that at least YSBIM and Here Today make a lot of setlists this year. 

I'm almost more shocked to see Heroes and Villains. 

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »

Mike has hinted that they're going to be doing some Pet Sounds stuff.  I would guess that at least YSBIM and Here Today make a lot of setlists this year. 

I'm almost more shocked to see Heroes and Villains. 

I was thinking the same about H&V!
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2016, 08:57:44 PM »

Surfin'
Catch a Wave
Do It Again
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Kiss Me, Baby
Then He Kissed Me
Cotton Fields
You Still Believe in Me
Here Today
Heroes and Villains
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
I Get Around
In My Room
((HK Philarmonic))
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Disney Girls
The Warmth of the Sun
Caroline, No
God Only Knows
Pisces Brothers
Good Vibrations
Darlin'
Help Me, Rhonda
Do You Wanna Dance?
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Encore:
Kokomo
Fun, Fun, Fun

Good setlist!  They are playing in Japan tomorrow, and I was thinking about going, but had already bought tix for Brian/Al/Blondie, and the Mike/Bruce tix are really expensive. This makes me wish that I could afford both!

Looks like the Japan setlist have been much shorter, with only the standard 3 PS songs, and no Warmth of the Sun, Disney Girls, etc.  So I'm glad I didn't kick down.  I've noticed that Brian's setlists in Japan are normal, but the BB's are shorter than usual--hope Brian holds true next month!  Though we do know, at least, that we'll get all of PS.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »

the hard part about that above setlist, is that half a dozen of those should be in Brian's tour, and some of Brian's songs should be in
their tour.  damn. what a cluster#uck.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »

This one seemed to slip under the radar...but Mike & Bruce are doing a symphonic show with the National Symphony Orchestra at The Kennedy Center on July 19th. Found it by accident last night and got myself a pair of second row seats! Still a lot of different seats left!

I'm really looking forward to it...such a luxurious venue and a full orchestra will hopefully ensure some incredible deep cuts for the night!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »

This one seemed to slip under the radar...but Mike & Bruce are doing a symphonic show with the National Symphony Orchestra at The Kennedy Center on July 19th. Found it by accident last night and got myself a pair of second row seats! Still a lot of different seats left!

I'm really looking forward to it...such a luxurious venue and a full orchestra will hopefully ensure some incredible deep cuts for the night!

Maybe they'll do a few more Pet Sounds tracks.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2016, 01:29:54 AM »

Maybe they'll do a few more Pet Sounds tracks.

That sounds pretty promising--wish they would do that here in Japan!
KDS
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2016, 05:23:32 AM »

I hear they're doing double billed shows with The Temptations in the States this summer. 

Unfortunately, this likely means shorter greatest hits only sets. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx