gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:44:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135213 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 10:08:23 AM »

Put in mine too, hopefully at least one gets played. I'm sure we all requested all I wanna do so maybe on that one fingers crossed. The way it's going maybe we can get a 50 song set since they've had a few days off haha. We shall see tomorrow, can't wait!

I'm looking forward to it as well.  Should be a great show, and a much needed dose of sunshine during a bad winter. 

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »

Put in mine too, hopefully at least one gets played. I'm sure we all requested all I wanna do so maybe on that one fingers crossed. The way it's going maybe we can get a 50 song set since they've had a few days off haha. We shall see tomorrow, can't wait!

I'm looking forward to it as well.  Should be a great show, and a much needed dose of sunshine during a bad winter. 

Couldn't agree more! No matter if it's Mike & Bruce or Brian, Al and Blondie i always leave the show with a smile on my face! Doesn't matter what they play or for how long it's all feel good music for me and each time I see them I feel lucky to be there again.
KDS
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »

Couldn't agree more! No matter if it's Mike & Bruce or Brian, Al and Blondie i always leave the show with a smile on my face! Doesn't matter what they play or for how long it's all feel good music for me and each time I see them I feel lucky to be there again.

Same here.  Two weeks after the Mike and Bruce show in Baltimore, tickets for Brian's show in Bethesda finally go on sale. 

I imagine Mike and Bruce will be in the area again during the summer also. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »

Same here.  Two weeks after the Mike and Bruce show in Baltimore, tickets for Brian's show in Bethesda finally go on sale. 

Amen. Bout time for Brian's tix...the only date on the whole list hanging out!

I've been curious about the summer. I doubt they'll return to MD this summer, but Wolf Trap and the American Music Theatre are likely repeats.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

We'll be awaiting the Baltimore reviews.   Smiley

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:25 PM »

For anyone in the Milwaukee area, Mike and Bruce will be playing the Wisconsin State Fair on August 14th.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
KDS
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 05:10:38 AM »

I've been curious about the summer. I doubt they'll return to MD this summer, but Wolf Trap and the American Music Theatre are likely repeats.

I think Pier 6 in Baltimore is a possibility. 

Also, Ocean City, MD.  They sold out Sunfest in September 2013.  The last two years, they played Selbyville, DE which is a stone's throw from Ocean City. 

If they play Pier 6, I'd probably go.  But I'm not certain that I'd make the trip to Wolf Trap again.  For a small venue, we were stuck in the parking lot for a while.  Especially with seeing them in Baltimore tonight, and Brian in Bethesda in September. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 06:13:56 AM »

I think Pier 6 in Baltimore is a possibility. 

Also, Ocean City, MD.  They sold out Sunfest in September 2013.  The last two years, they played Selbyville, DE which is a stone's throw from Ocean City. 

If they play Pier 6, I'd probably go.  But I'm not certain that I'd make the trip to Wolf Trap again.  For a small venue, we were stuck in the parking lot for a while.  Especially with seeing them in Baltimore tonight, and Brian in Bethesda in September. 

I despise Wolf Trap. Had an AWFUL experience with Ringo & The All Starrs in '14. Nothing at the fault of the band...but never going back to that venue.

Two Baltimore appearances in one year just doesn't seem realistic based on Mike and Bruce's touring history, but who knows!? Ocean City was a blast. It would be great to actually have them on the beach and just under the tent, of course, that did help with the rain at the end...

Pier Six is kind of the perfect Mike and Bruce summertime spot in my opinion. Outdoor with cover, on the water, just perfect!
KDS
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 06:28:06 AM »

Rubbersoul,

I'm with you on Wolf Trap.  It would take a lot to get me to go back there again.  Same goes for Jiffy Lube Live. 

Luckily, last year's show was a 3pm Sunday concert, so even with the struggles in the parking lot, we still got home at a decent hour. 

My wife and I make it to Ocean City a few times each summer.  It would be pretty cool to catch a Beach Boys show there at some point. 

David1964
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »

For anyone in the Milwaukee area, Mike and Bruce will be playing the Wisconsin State Fair on August 14th.

I haven't been able to find a confirmation on this one yet. Any idea when tickets go on sale?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »

We'll be awaiting the Baltimore reviews.   Smiley

Getting ready then out to dinner...then we'll be at the Lyric! Gotta love when the venue is about 20 mins from home!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »

Great show, I'll let others expand more on it. No All I Wanna Do, however it was on the Setlist I got off of the stage, so it looks like they skipped it.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »

Great show, I'll let others expand more on it. No All I Wanna Do, however it was on the Setlist I got off of the stage, so it looks like they skipped it.

Damn. I saw Mike go over to Scott and motion as if they were cutting something after "Disney Girls"...I presume that was it?

Anyway! This was by far the best Mike and Bruce show I've seen...and this is #7 for me. It was the most songs, the most energy, the most emotion, and the best seats, too! We had an intermission...Bruce said it was 47 songs...I guess it was 46 with the subtraction of "All I Wanna Do". Less common songs songs were: Don't Back Down, Wendy, Kiss Me Baby, You're So Good To Me, Good To My Baby (first set) and, The Warmth of The Sun, All This is That, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, I Can Hear Music (second set). They also played a snippet of "Birthday" and brought out a guitar cake for Foskett's 60th birthday!

I felt all the songs went over very well with the exception of two: "All This is That" and....(you guessed it) "Pisces Brothers", both seemed to fall very flat. It's probably best "All I Wanna Do" was left out. Don't get me wrong, this was a relatively great crowd (especially compared to the last two gigs in Lancaster) but it was like being at church sometimes...they had to be told when to stand, when they're allowed to clap, when to sit...  LOL  There were also lots of young faces, especially up front. I didn't feel out of place for once!

My girlfriend and I had a little interaction with Mike and Bruce sporadically throughout the night. The best was during "Do You Wanna Dance" when the two tipsy middle aged women in the front row (we were row two in front of Bruce) were clapping on the wrong beat and we were clapping AT them on the right beat and they had no idea...Bruce was cracking up!  LOL

All of the voices sounded excellent...in particular: Bruce. His falsettos and his leads were very strong tonight, and he had a fair amount of them. Two flubs that were noticeably to me were the start of "Kiss Me Baby"...the band didn't seem quite set but Cowsill just went for it (who was a MONSTER tonight by the way!!!) and on "Then I Kissed Her" there was something wonky with the guitar...but incredibly minor things that passed very quickly. Such a tight band. Got lots of great pictures...and the mega-cool Summer Days/Summer Nights shirt that's popped up on here...it was $50 in Lancaster last summer...$20 tonight! Woo-hoo!

I hope we get another theatre show in the Baltimore area soon!!! Thanks guys!
KDS
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 05:25:51 AM »

I was at the Baltimore show last night.  As much as I liked the show at Wolf Trap last August, this show was 10X better. 

Highlights:

Granted, this is only my 5th Beach Boys related show (C50, 2 BW, 2 M&B), but this was my first time hearing Warmth of the Sun live, and it was marvelous. 

Bruce and the band did a great version of Disney Girls. 

I agree with RubberSoul that the crowd wasn't really into some of the deeper tracks like All This is That, but it was great to hear it again (although this was one of the few times during the set when I thought Foskett's voice sounded a little forced doing Carl's part)

I think the crowd got the most amped up for Sloop John B / Wouldn't It Be Nice. 

I was glad to hear California Dreaming, as I've always like their version.  It was even better without the dated 80s sax solo. 

Mike saw me with a camera, posed, and gave me a thumbs up after I took the picture.

This was the first BB show I've seen with Scott playing most of the guitar leads and he killed it.

The harmonies with Mike, Bruce, Scott, and Brian E were great on Their Hearts Were Full of Spring. 

Mike sang lead on Help Me, Rhonda, and I thought did a good job. 

Two predictable complaints:

Goin to the Beach - So many other surf/beach songs they could've played instead (ie. Hawaii, It's OK, Beaches in Mind, etc, etc).  Granted its a catchy tune.  But, let's not forget this song wasn't good enough for the awful KTSA album. 

Pisces Brother - Is there anybody out there who actually likes this song?  Silver lining - Scott's guitar solo is great, but it's the lone highlight of a great mediocre song.  The fact that it follows GOK makes it sound even worse.

All in all, a great night.  I would definitely see them again if they play another local theater show.

Also of note, Coswill was sporting a green Beach Boys - Pet Sounds t-shirt.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »

It's great to hear these stories about people having such positive experiences at Mike & Bruce shows, and them doing sets closer to the kind of shows they do in the UK for their American fans.
Odd to hear that Jeff sounded strained on All This Is That -- he's usually *beautiful* on that, it's one of his best vocals normally. Maybe he was having a bad night with his throat or something.
Also odd to hear that Pisces didn't go down well with the crowd. It's not a song I like much, but I've seen casual-fan audience members in tears at that one (it seems to go down better with people who aren't as familiar with the band, for whatever reason). It's surprising that it didn't get much reaction (maybe it's a US/UK difference...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KDS
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »

It's great to hear these stories about people having such positive experiences at Mike & Bruce shows, and them doing sets closer to the kind of shows they do in the UK for their American fans.
Odd to hear that Jeff sounded strained on All This Is That -- he's usually *beautiful* on that, it's one of his best vocals normally. Maybe he was having a bad night with his throat or something.
Also odd to hear that Pisces didn't go down well with the crowd. It's not a song I like much, but I've seen casual-fan audience members in tears at that one (it seems to go down better with people who aren't as familiar with the band, for whatever reason). It's surprising that it didn't get much reaction (maybe it's a US/UK difference...)

I'll admit that the images on the screen of George make that audio/visual experience a little emotional (especially since it tends to follow the Carl tribute).  I just wish it were a better song. 

I also think that many US fans go to a Beach Boys show to dance and sing Fun Fun Fun, I Get Around, and Barbara Ann. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2016, 07:24:49 AM »

I'll admit that the images on the screen of George make that audio/visual experience a little emotional (especially since it tends to follow the Carl tribute).  I just wish it were a better song. 

So do I. The scansion's all over the place, which is quite surprising for a lyricist of Mike's ability. It's a poorly-crafted song, though there's a decent melodic idea in there. But the audiences I've been in have seemed to disagree.

I also think that many US fans go to a Beach Boys show to dance and sing Fun Fun Fun, I Get Around, and Barbara Ann. 
So do the British fans for the most part -- although the songs that seem to get the best reaction tend to be I Get Around, Wouldn't It Be Nice and, oddly, You're So Good To Me (when they play that one)...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KDS
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2016, 07:33:33 AM »

Andrew,

At the BB related shows I've attended over the last four years or so, Wouldn't It Be Nice always brings the house down. 

I haven't noticed the same reaction for YSGTM. 

Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann, and Fun Fun Fun also gets the house rocking as well. 

I agree there's a decent song hidden in Pisces Brother.  Maybe a collaboration with somebody more musically inclined could rescue that song from tedium.  Maybe Scott Totten could help, as I think his guitar solo is that song's saving grace.  If they can improve it, I'm all for it, because I don't think the song's going anywhere. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »

You're So Good To Me had the crowd clapping the whole way through last night, and Bruce sounded stronger than last summer at AMT on it. Agreed KDS, if I didn't say it above, that was the best "Disney Girls" I've heard. When Bruce struck that last lone pitch at the end you could've heard a pin drop in the room. It was marvelous.

I think Mike and Bruce should put together a "history" type show like The Eagles did. The first part can be 25 songs from 62-66, finishing with the Pet Sounds hits. Then  after that, a lot of the one-timer greatest hit type fans will be ready to go home! LOL  Then, we get 25 songs from 67-...well, as far as they want!

Just a pipe dream I s'pose!
KDS
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »

You're So Good To Me had the crowd clapping the whole way through last night, and Bruce sounded stronger than last summer at AMT on it. Agreed KDS, if I didn't say it above, that was the best "Disney Girls" I've heard. When Bruce struck that last lone pitch at the end you could've heard a pin drop in the room. It was marvelous.

I think Mike and Bruce should put together a "history" type show like The Eagles did. The first part can be 25 songs from 62-66, finishing with the Pet Sounds hits. Then  after that, a lot of the one-timer greatest hit type fans will be ready to go home! LOL  Then, we get 25 songs from 67-...well, as far as they want!

That would be pretty awesome.  It's a shame that, except for the occasional playing of All I Wanna Do, the Sunflower album is completely ignored. 

Not to be nit picky about a great show, but I'd like to see them select a different Dennis song.  Do You Wanna Dance is a great song, and gets the crowd going, but I'd prefer something like Forever, Little Bird, or Be With Me as a Dennis tribute. 

But, great show.  If I happened to have extra money lying around, I would buy tickets for the Hagerstown show tonight.  Maybe Til I Die cracks the list. 
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »

That would be pretty awesome.  It's a shame that, except for the occasional playing of All I Wanna Do, the Sunflower album is completely ignored. 

Not to be nit picky about a great show, but I'd like to see them select a different Dennis song.  Do You Wanna Dance is a great song, and gets the crowd going, but I'd prefer something like Forever, Little Bird, or Be With Me as a Dennis tribute. 

But, great show.  If I happened to have extra money lying around, I would buy tickets for the Hagerstown show tonight.  Maybe Til I Die cracks the list. 
I'm heading to the show tonight as well, I'll be sure to give a report as soon as I can
KDS
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »

I'm heading to the show tonight as well, I'll be sure to give a report as soon as I can

Cool.  Enjoy. 

I have to save some coins because Brian's Pet Sounds date in Bethesda goes on sale two weeks from tomorrow.  Or else, I might think about riding up there. 
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »

Cool.  Enjoy. 

I have to save some coins because Brian's Pet Sounds date in Bethesda goes on sale two weeks from tomorrow.  Or else, I might think about riding up there. 
Yeah I got a friend to go with me a pay for both tickets luckily otherwise I wouldn't go because I feel the Brian tickets might be a little pricy
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »

No way I could do tonight's show too...wish I could. I will be mega-pissed if they do "Till I Die" and "All I Wanna Do" out in the boonies of Hagerstown but not at The Lyric Opera House!!! LOL
KDS
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »

No way I could do tonight's show too...wish I could. I will be mega-pissed if they do "Till I Die" and "All I Wanna Do" out in the boonies of Hagerstown but not at The Lyric Opera House!!! LOL

You and me both.  I'm not ultra disappointed to miss out on All I Wanna Do.  But my hopes were up since Til I Die was at some recent shows. 

But hearing that All I Wanna Do was actually on the setlist is kinda disappointing. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx